The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does music affect us at all spiritually?

+11
MegaNorm64
Hardcore Christian
ThomasEversole
bjorn agin
bassdude
eatbugs
KaramKaram
Kerrick
metaldude
d@v!d
Deepfriar
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Does music affect us at all spiritually? [Poll]

Does music affect us at all spiritually? I_vote_lcap85%Does music affect us at all spiritually? I_vote_rcap 85% 
[ 22 ]
Does music affect us at all spiritually? I_vote_lcap4%Does music affect us at all spiritually? I_vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
Does music affect us at all spiritually? I_vote_lcap11%Does music affect us at all spiritually? I_vote_rcap 11% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 26

Does music affect us at all spiritually? Empty Does music affect us at all spiritually?

Post by Deepfriar Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:37 am

Simple yes or no question. I made a third option for those who don't consider that sort of thing.

Not interested in debates or even a discussion. I'm honestly just curious about the poll #'s. I would disable replies if I could but by all means if you have something to say feel free. For me, this is more of a personal research sort of thing to see what the forefront of Christian metal heads think. Thanks, guys.
Deepfriar
Deepfriar
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Does music affect us at all spiritually? Empty Re: Does music affect us at all spiritually?

Post by d@v!d Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:38 am

I want to comment to qualify my answer. I believe that anything (music or other) that touches on the moral realm affects us spiritually. We are spiritual beings. The body is the interface between the physical and spiritual realm. Since much music does touch on the moral, I say yes.Yet though not all music holds moral weight, it's not a resolute yes.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Does music affect us at all spiritually? Empty Re: Does music affect us at all spiritually?

Post by Deepfriar Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:49 am

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for your respose and participation.
Deepfriar
Deepfriar
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:07 am

Yes. I agree with d@v!d, but I'll simply answer yes.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:25 pm

metaldude wrote:Yes. I agree with d@v!d, but I'll simply answer yes.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:53 pm

Yes! Definitely! David nailed it! We ARE spiritual beings!

Back to top Go down

Post by KaramKaram Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:32 pm

No
KaramKaram
KaramKaram
Deadpool
Deadpool

https://lotsofmuzik.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:18 am

I can't answer for "us" but for ME the answer is Yes.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by bassdude Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:10 pm

yes
bassdude
bassdude
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:56 pm

I think there is strong evidence for it affecting the psyche and spirit. One clue is the evolution of one's look/dress that often occurs once one becomes deeply immersed in a particular style of music. I've never met someone that dresses goth that doesn't listen to goth. Same can be said for people that have leanings towards black metal fashion, punk, whatever. Tatoos that are obviously influenced by a type of music are another example. I've never seen anyone with obviously punk ideology and art fashion/iconography that didn't listen to punk, as an example. Certainly a strong case for music affecting the psyche and spirit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:20 pm

spitshockey81 wrote:I think there is strong evidence for it affecting the psyche and spirit. One clue is the evolution of one's look/dress that often occurs once one becomes deeply immersed in a particular style of music. I've never met someone that dresses goth that doesn't listen to goth. Same can be said for people that have leanings towards black metal fashion, punk, whatever. Tatoos that are obviously influenced by a type of music are another example. I've never seen anyone with obviously punk ideology and art fashion/iconography that didn't listen to punk, as an example. Certainly a strong case for music affecting the psyche and spirit.

Everything you said is 100% true dude!

Back to top Go down

Post by bjorn agin Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:27 pm

I voted "I don't know".

The problem I have with saying music affects us spiritually is that leads right into the discussions about "demon beats", satanic influences on songs etc. Most of us would argue against that sort of thing.

Lyrically, there is definitely a garbage in, garbage out factor. I had Pandora on yesterday and some really old Aerosmith came on. I never realized how trashy the lyrics are to those songs. Not something I would want to keep meditating on. In that sense, yeah it does affect you spiritually. If you keep feeding yourself garbage, it will have an effect.

Now, back to the music part of it. while I do disagree 100% to thole demon beat thing, I agree 100% that music has the ability to affect our emotions. Otherwise we wouldn't be using terms like "dark" when we describe certain tunes. "dark" implies an emotional effect.  So in as much as our emotions have the ability to affect our spirit, I would agree there is is some impact there as well.

Last edited by bjorn agin on Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:23 am; edited 2 times in total
bjorn agin
bjorn agin
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:23 am

While I certainly think there's spiritual growth to be had with listening to Christian music, I do think my mom is right regarding one thing...

Sometimes, (not all the time, just sometimes) its hard to listen to God whenever you're jamming out.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:21 am

metaldude wrote:Yes. I agree with d@v!d, but I'll simply answer yes.
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:19 am

bjorn agin wrote:I voted "I don't know".

The problem I have with saying music affects us spiritually is that leads right into the discussions about "demon beats", satanic influences on songs etc. Most of us would argue against that sort of thing.

Lyrically, there is definitely a garbage in, garbage out factor. I had Pandora on yesterday and some really old Aerosmith came on. I never realized how trashy the lyrics are to those songs. Not something I would want to keep meditating on. In that sense, yeah it does affect you spiritually. If you keep feeding yourself garbage, it will have an effect.

Now, back to the music part of it. while I do disagreee 100% to thole demon beat thing, I agree 100% that music has the ability to affect our emotions. Otherwise we wouldn't be using terms like "dark" when we describe certain tunes? "dark" implies an emotional effect.  So in as much as our emotions have the ability to affect our spirit, I would agree there is is some impact there as well.
+1

Back to top Go down

Post by Deepfriar Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:53 am

ThomasEversole wrote:While I certainly think there's spiritual growth to be had with listening to Christian music, I do think my mom is right regarding one thing...

Sometimes, (not all the time, just sometimes) its hard to listen to God whenever you're jamming out.
This is a very good point and I am guilty of not having enough quiet time. Thanks for pointing this out, Thomas.
Deepfriar
Deepfriar
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MegaNorm64 Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:20 pm

spitshockey81 wrote:I think there is strong evidence for it affecting the psyche and spirit. One clue is the evolution of one's look/dress that often occurs once one becomes deeply immersed in a particular style of music. I've never met someone that dresses goth that doesn't listen to goth. Same can be said for people that have leanings towards black metal fashion, punk, whatever. Tatoos that are obviously influenced by a type of music are another example. I've never seen anyone with obviously punk ideology and art fashion/iconography that didn't listen to punk, as an example. Certainly a strong case for music affecting the psyche and spirit.
I don't know man. I dress pretty hip hopish with my baggy pants, big shirts and big hoodies. I rarely listen to any rap or hip hop and when I do, its not a full album but a song or 2 that caught my ear. I mainly listen to all metal genre and all electronica genres. I only have 1 band hoodie which is Metal Church, no band shirts, no spiky neon colored hair, chains, spikes, etc. that would present the metal/electronica loving man that I am. People look at me and usually assume I'm into hip hop or gangster rap. I dress that way because I actually like some of their fashion. I don't wear much metal clothes because they're either too small for me or because I don't want to be confronted by some elitist who thinks the band shirt I have on sucks or be called a "poser" or something. You have no idea how people misuse that word.
MegaNorm64
MegaNorm64
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:23 pm

Hey DF....

Before I answer I want to make sure what you are asking. Do you mean music as in some guitar chords being played ? Or do you mean when messages are added through words and vocals to the music ? Or...the whole package ?
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:28 pm

ParaNormaN wrote:
I don't know man. I dress pretty hip hopish with my baggy pants, big shirts and big hoodies. I rarely listen to any rap or hip hop and when I do, its not a full album but a song or 2 that caught my ear. I mainly listen to all metal genre and all electronica genres. I only have 1 band hoodie which is Metal Church, no band shirts, no spiky neon colored hair, chains, spikes, etc. that would present the metal/electronica loving man that I am. People look at me and usually assume I'm into hip hop or gangster rap. I dress that way because I actually like some of their fashion. I don't wear much metal clothes because they're either too small for me or because I don't want to be confronted by some elitist who thinks the band shirt I have on sucks or be called a "poser" or something. You have no idea how people misuse that word.

I think this is all surface level stuff that people tend to grow out of as they mature. Your priorities vastly change the older you get and where you your station in life is.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Deepfriar Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:10 pm

sentient 6 wrote:Hey DF....

Before I answer I want to make sure what you are asking. Do you mean music as in some guitar chords being played ? Or do you mean when messages are added through words and vocals to the music ? Or...the whole package ?
I mean is music more than the guitar chords being played?

Whole package, pretty much.
Deepfriar
Deepfriar
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by KaramKaram Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:17 pm

I don't understand how it affects you. I am pretty sure it doesn't affect me at all. I enjoy it, and that's all
KaramKaram
KaramKaram
Deadpool
Deadpool

https://lotsofmuzik.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:45 pm

Paranorman, certainly. I should have stated my point was potential and on varying levels according to the individual and can not only be simply clothing/tatoo art but also influence types of literature that we become interested in, etc...or for some it may not affect them at all. For me, I don't dress metal at all, and I'm not into body art etc. But for me, the way something like black metal has influenced me in the past, was an interest in literature and topics that I hadnt been interested in before. This is regarding secular black metal. I feel that because of secular black metal I have a deeper knowledge than most people that I meet in person of topics like satanism, the occult, etc. Things that I'm sure I wouldn't have otherwise gotten interested in had I not been exposed whatsoever to the music scene that can point you in that direction in the first place. A surface level curiosity from the music can lead to an unhealthy interest in the topic-kindof sucking you in before you really realize what has happened. Spirit affected, even if by vicarious means. So for me, I must be careful. For the next man, he may just say, meh, thats some decent Mayhem, and go along his way. On the other hand a positive influence has been my enjoyment of the Norse myths. Thanks to early In Flames, Amon Amarth, etc for that influence.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter who was Vaak Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:54 pm

Yes.  All you have to do to prove this is ask yourself: do nonChristian songs get stuck in your head?  Yes?  Then there you go.  When you have a Christian song stuck and begin to sing, you are bringing worship to the Lord and growing closer to Him.  By this simple fact, it does effect you.
Peter who was Vaak
Peter who was Vaak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by bjorn agin Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:52 pm

sentient 6 wrote:
ParaNormaN wrote:

I think this is all surface level stuff that people tend to grow out of as they mature. Your priorities vastly change the older you get and where you your station in life is.

I agree that the whole music affecting the way you dress is an age/maturity related thing. While I've seen plenty of young people wearing clothes that match the scene, I've also been to shows (Stryper is a good example) where the crowd was a bunch of 30-40 year olds dressed in t-shirts and jeans.
bjorn agin
bjorn agin
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:49 pm

bjorn agin wrote:
sentient 6 wrote:
ParaNormaN wrote:

I agree that the whole music affecting the way you dress is an age/maturity related thing. While I've seen plenty of young people wearing clothes that match the scene, I've also been to shows (Stryper is a good example) where the crowd was a bunch of 30-40 year olds dressed in t-shirts and jeans.

This is why I think the level if affects varies from individual to individual. I've been to secular shows that had a lot of adults 30+ and even guys looking like they're into their 50's decked with the metal look. Granted you can dress up for a night but long hair and tats are things associated with the scene that take a bit more of a long term effort.  Perhaps there is a difference too in Christian and secular shows-which I would then speculate the root of the difference is in personal identity. Identity in Christ for the most part or identity in something else, in this case the music scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next