The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

+18
SirJahzeal
johnnycanuck
oldschooldoom
Jaybird
Soldier777
alldatndensum
strangerhoncho
MegaNorm64
Follower of Jesus
Blake
Hardcore Christian
Superjuice
Professor_Valconian
Candlemass
deathisgain
Temple of Blood
d@v!d
sentient 6
22 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band' - Page 2 Empty Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Blake Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:02 am

From the artists perspective I can see why they dont like labels, because it does limit your reach since Christian is an instant turn-off to many. But from a consumer perspective, when I first got into Christian metal I had decided "I'm going to look for Godly (or Christian) music". So I searched google for "Christian metal" having no knowledge of any Christian bands other than newsboys or supertones.

At that point in time if bands had not been "labeled" as Christian then I may not have been able to find Tourniquet and Mortification. If I hadnt found these bands and started my "journey" into Christian metal, then I:

1. Probably wouldnt be spiritually in the same place, or spiritually any place for that matter.
2. I probably wouldnt have gotten into radio and Metal Blessing Radio wouldnt exist, nor any startups influenced by mbr.

I say all that to say, labels do help seekers find the music that will change their lives.
Blake
Blake
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://reanimatedradio.com

Back to top Go down

Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band' - Page 2 Empty Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Candlemass Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:06 pm

deathisgain wrote:
Candlemass wrote:I run a "Christian Gothic Lawn Care Service!"

Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band' - Page 2 Improvjam019

The mower is yellow and black. Does that mean it is a Stryper mower?

No, I'm promoting the bumble bee version of "Legend III:II."
Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:53 am

The Apostle Paul gladly wore the abel of Christian. I tend to agree with many of the comments on FB if not their tone.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:14 am

Follower of Jesus wrote:The Apostle Paul gladly wore the abel of Christian. I tend to agree with many of the comments on FB if not their tone.

Paul wasn't in a band, was he?

Michael has no problem wearing the label "Christian"....he states that.

He doesn't like the "band" being labeled as Christian.

People seem to miss the fact that he NEVER denies Christ in the article. He says he is a Christian. He just simply doesn't like bands being labeled that way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:44 am

I'm cool w/it either way, there is no mandate to in a "Christian Band", or not to be...
Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:44 am

Candlemass wrote:
deathisgain wrote:
Candlemass wrote:I run a "Christian Gothic Lawn Care Service!"

Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band' - Page 2 Improvjam019

The mower is yellow and black. Does that mean it is a Stryper mower?

No, I'm promoting the bumble bee version of "Legend III:II."
Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:45 am

Hardcore Christian wrote:
Superjuice wrote:This is true.  They are a Christian metal band.
I thought they were a Christian glam rock band?

Wow no one can get it right Evil or Very Mad

Razz
Sir, you have won the Internet!  Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:01 am

Candlemass wrote:I'm cool w/it either way, there is no mandate to in a "Christian Band", or not to be...

Agreed

Back to top Go down

Post by MegaNorm64 Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:09 am

Had a long post. Got too mad because annoyed by all the negativity "Christians" have given Michael due to his not wanting the Christian label on the band. Deleted long post and typed this much shorter one instead out of rage.  Mad 1
MegaNorm64
MegaNorm64
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:13 am

ParaNormaN wrote:Had a long post. Got too mad because annoyed by all the negativity "Christians" have given Michael due to his not wanting the Christian label on the band. Deleted long post and typed this much shorter one instead out of rage.  Mad 1

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:17 am

It's always amazing how Christians can't wait to attack another Christian. Christians have been tearing Stryper apart since they came out. 

I actually unfriended (on FB) the lead singer from Arsenal over it.

I also left the FB fan group for Bloodgood because the guy who runs it was bashing Stryper over this. He started accusing anyone who defended Michael as worshiping Stryper..which is really funny since the dude has put Bloodgood up on a pedestal and is embarrassing with his man-love for them.

Back to top Go down

Post by MegaNorm64 Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:26 am

NoOneIsHere wrote:It's always amazing how Christians can't wait to attack another Christian. Christians have been tearing Stryper apart since they came out. 

I also left the FB fan group for Bloodgood because the guy who runs it was bashing Stryper over this. He started accusing anyone who defended Michael as worshiping Stryper..which is really funny since the dude has put Bloodgood up on a pedestal and is embarrassing with his man-love for them.
Right??? It's embarrassing...

Wow, I hardly join any Christian group page for the same exact reason. Some may seem cool until something from another band happens, then they show their true colors. I'm grateful that Michael and the rest of the band are so open minded, it doesn't give me any reason to dislike any of them.
MegaNorm64
MegaNorm64
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:39 am

ParaNormaN wrote:
NoOneIsHere wrote:It's always amazing how Christians can't wait to attack another Christian. Christians have been tearing Stryper apart since they came out. 

Right??? It's embarrassing...

Wow, I hardly join any Christian group page for the same exact reason. Some may seem cool until something from another band happens, then they show their true colors. I'm grateful that Michael and the rest of the band are so open minded, it doesn't give me any reason to dislike any of them.

I think a lot of times these other bands are just envious. I mean, really, Arsenal was a blip on the radar, if even that.

As for Bloodgood, I just want to clarify that the band said nothing wrong...it was the guy running the Facebook group (unofficial fan group, but Michael and other members did post there sometimes)

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:28 pm

I fully understand and agree with Michael's viewpoint, but it's a little too late at this point.  Kinda like the pope saying he doesn't wanted to be called Catholic anymore, but just a pope who happens to be a Catholic.

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:33 pm

I agree. The horse has bolted.

It's kind of him to give the lunatic fringe something to get wound up about though.

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:34 am

Would it not have been better if Michael said something like " we are no longer a christian metal band " ? Because after all, from what I could tell in the 80s, they certainly saw themselves that way. I believe they used to refer to themselves as " christian " artists.  I mean, just look at the name and the explanation they would give on what it meant. They even had Isaiah 53 in their logo. I even remember someone in the band ( maybe Robert ) also stating that STRYPER stood for something distinctly Christian.

Also, why is it that it is " Christians " who are the majority of people that buy their music ? I think they may want their cake and eat too. You can't rely primarily on Christians to purchase your muisc and claim that you are not making music that appeals to Christians.

Btw, is it wrong to say that Amon Amarth is viking death metal ? Sure, the " death metal " lets you know the genre, but the " viking " lets you know the subject matter. The truth is that labels are here to stay because they serve a very practical purpose.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:43 am

That's true, there's no question that Stryper put themselves in that box, along w/Believer, Saviour Machine, Teramaze and a host of others who wanted out later...
Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:13 am

What is he afraid of? Why not embrace the label of Christian? Is it because it will limit record sales? I'm serious...what's the motivation behind saying this? I can't help but think that its nothing more than not wanting to alienate people who might listen to Stryper but won't if they think they're a Christian band. Again, I come back to our examples in Scripture. Wearing the name of Christ is something we should boast in! I don't say this is a condemnation of Michael. I don't agree with him on this at all, but I do believe he is still very much my brother in Christ.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:36 am

Part of the problem w/being labeled a "Christian Band" is what's expected of you. Many look to Christian bands as leaders in the church, they're expected to take on the role of pastor, theologian, healer, elder...and many look to Christian rock concerts as some sort of crusade or church service and are expecting God to do some huge work of grace in their lives there, it can turn into quite the circus act...
Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:41 am

1.  The label will stand no matter what Michael says he wants.  Radio stations will call you a Christian band if your lyrical content is mostly about Jesus.  The magazines and reviewer sites will brand you with that because of the content.  Fans will call you a Christian band when your focus is on Jesus.  As humans, we classify and sort everything, so Michael needs to just let it go as he can't stop it short of taking Jesus out of the songs.

2.  Controversy is a marketing tool that Hollywood uses quite frequently.  Let some actor/actress say something goofball or get divorced or arrested or whatever and the tabloids and fans run it through the ringer.  Now, that person is trending.  Also, the publicist of said actor makes sure that any new movies or tv shows with that actor gets tied to that info train while that controversial person is trending.  Now, everyone gets to know about the upcoming work of this person.  That's a lot of free publicity.

Perhaps this is more about selling a new Stryper record than it is about distancing himself from whatever tags will be placed on the music by almost everyone?
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:19 am

Candlemass wrote:Part of the problem w/being labeled a "Christian Band" is what's expected of you. Many look to Christian bands as leaders in the church, they're expected to take on the role of pastor, theologian, healer, elder...and many look to Christian rock concerts as some sort of crusade or church service and are expecting God to do some huge work of grace in their lives there, it can turn into quite the circus act...

Agreed

I don't know if this is actually how Michael feels or not, but that is definitely something that happens and I could see him not wanting to be lumped into that camp. So yeah, it could be a possibility.

I also think the "saying something to get them talking" has some validity, too. A lot of artists do that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:30 am

Candlemass wrote:Part of the problem w/being labeled a "Christian Band" is what's expected of you. Many look to Christian bands as leaders in the church, they're expected to take on the role of pastor, theologian, healer, elder...and many look to Christian rock concerts as some sort of crusade or church service and are expecting God to do some huge work of grace in their lives there, it can turn into quite the circus act...

Bingo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:31 am

Follower of Jesus wrote:What is he afraid of? Why not embrace the label of Christian? Is it because it will limit record sales? I'm serious...what's the motivation behind saying this? I can't help but think that its nothing more than not wanting to alienate people who might listen to Stryper but won't if they think they're a Christian band. Again, I come back to our examples in Scripture. Wearing the name of Christ is something we should boast in! I don't say this is a condemnation of Michael. I don't agree with him on this at all, but I do believe he is still very much my brother in Christ.
Not so quick there, FOJ.  For instance, author Ted Dekker also is not too fond of the "Christian" label, as he believes that word has been maligned, misused, and has been an oppressive symbol among certain groups.  He prefers "Christ-follower," as do I.

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:55 am

Neal Morse Code wrote:
Follower of Jesus wrote:What is he afraid of? Why not embrace the label of Christian? Is it because it will limit record sales? I'm serious...what's the motivation behind saying this? I can't help but think that its nothing more than not wanting to alienate people who might listen to Stryper but won't if they think they're a Christian band. Again, I come back to our examples in Scripture. Wearing the name of Christ is something we should boast in! I don't say this is a condemnation of Michael. I don't agree with him on this at all, but I do believe he is still very much my brother in Christ.
Not so quick there, FOJ.  For instance, author Ted Dekker also is not too fond of the "Christian" label, as he believes that word has been maligned, misused, and has been an oppressive symbol among certain groups.  He prefers "Christ-follower," as do I.

Yea, not so fast there either, as if some new label won't be maligned, misused and a symbol of oppression among certain groups as well...

"Because of you, the name of the Lord is blasphemed among the Gentiles!"
Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:07 am

As far as bands like Amon Amarth go, there is a certain sound (albeit a rather subtle one) that distinguishes "viking" metal from other melodeath/folk metal. That being said, I prefer that genre labels deal purely with the sound of the music, but if people want to include lyrical content in that, I see no reason to complain. And rejecting the "Christian" label while keeping your lyrics obviously Christian doesn't seem problematic...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next