The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

+18
SirJahzeal
johnnycanuck
oldschooldoom
Jaybird
Soldier777
alldatndensum
strangerhoncho
MegaNorm64
Follower of Jesus
Blake
Hardcore Christian
Superjuice
Professor_Valconian
Candlemass
deathisgain
Temple of Blood
d@v!d
sentient 6
22 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band' - Page 5 Empty Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Kerrick Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:43 am

You don't have to purchase U2 albums to get 'em... they'll just automatically download themselves onto your computer from iTunes!  Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band' - Page 5 Empty Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Guest Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:07 pm

Here is the next Pastor Bob video in this mini series...

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:37 pm

Even if a band is just "Christians in a band", most of the time the faith of the members will shine through the lyrics. Megadeth, W.A.S.P., Twisted Sister, Extreme, Fozzy, Alice Cooper, Creed, heck, even non-metal stuff like Hammer all have Christian members, and all have written lyrics that talk about their faith.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:25 pm

WildWorld wrote:Even if a band is just "Christians in a band", most of the time the faith of the members will shine through the lyrics. Megadeth, W.A.S.P., Twisted Sister, Extreme, Fozzy, Alice Cooper, Creed, heck, even non-metal stuff like Hammer all have Christian members, and all have written lyrics that talk about their faith.

Sure, and I would think that any of those bands would never be lumped in the " christian " metal camp either.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:31 pm

Check out this video that sheds some light on elements of this topic.
https://thecmr.forumotion.com/t7774-voddie-bauchham#147875
If you don't have time for the whole thing, check it out at 31:50.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:42 pm

Kerrick wrote:You don't have to purchase U2 albums to get 'em... they'll just automatically download themselves onto your computer from iTunes!  Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
And if that bothers you, automatically delete them!! :O

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:49 pm

Oh I deleted them right away...  I was just not pleased to have my music on shuffle and hear a song I did not purchase or want to purchase come on.  It just seemed invasive and forceful to me.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:29 pm

sentient 6 wrote:
WildWorld wrote:Even if a band is just "Christians in a band", most of the time the faith of the members will shine through the lyrics. Megadeth, W.A.S.P., Twisted Sister, Extreme, Fozzy, Alice Cooper, Creed, heck, even non-metal stuff like Hammer all have Christian members, and all have written lyrics that talk about their faith.

Sure, and I would think that any of those bands would never be lumped in the " christian " metal camp either.

Actually, Creed were occasionally lumped in the "Christian" metal "genre" as well. Strangely, Hammer never got pigeonholed as Christian rap, despite Hammer being a Pentecostal minister.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:32 pm

d@v!d wrote:Check out this video that sheds some light on elements of this topic.
https://thecmr.forumotion.com/t7774-voddie-bauchham#147875
If you don't have time for the whole thing, check it out at 31:50.

And this is what I agree with. Thats why i'm askin' the questions that I do. Whats the goal ? Whats your purpose ? If you are trying to reach people for salvation, is that something that we want be so indirect and non-specific about ?
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:39 pm

WildWorld wrote:Hammer never got pigeonholed as Christian rap, despite Hammer being a Pentecostal minister.
My friend used to have an LP from Hammer from before he was famous. It had a picture of him on it and scripture references. I can't find it on the web.

Last edited by d@v!d on Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:40 pm

WildWorld wrote:
Actually, Creed were occasionally lumped in the "Christian" metal "genre" as well. Strangely, Hammer never got pigeonholed as Christian rap, despite Hammer being a Pentecostal minister.

What Hammer did or does is just bad. And sometimes people just lump stuff a certain way because they don't know what else to do with it.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Throne of thorns Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:18 am

We are not a Christian rock band but we sing about Jesus throw used to throw bibles out to the audience and do worship tunes....Give me a break. Holy soldier any day.
Throne of thorns
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:17 am

Throne of thorns wrote:We are not a Christian rock band but we sing about Jesus throw used to throw bibles out to the audience and do worship tunes....Give me a break. Holy soldier any day.
They still do throw Bibles into the crowd.  And I didn't realize this was a Stryper v. Holy Soldier debate.  While HS is pretty awesome, give me Stryper.   Rockin Loud

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:47 am

Throne of thorns,

Obviously, everyone has their own tastes in music, but Stryper's success and their ability to be relevant even 30 years later proves they are not "horrible". So, your tastes are just flawed and your opinion is meaningless... Razz

Seriously though, in my opinion, HS can't even hold Stryper's jock strap. Their s/t album, while a good album, is one of the most overrated albums ever in Christian metal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:58 am

ToT is just trolling, plain and simple.  Which is why I've put him on ignore.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:10 am

NoOneIsHere wrote:Throne of thorns,

Obviously, everyone has their own tastes in music, but Stryper's success and their ability to be relevant even 30 years later proves they are not "horrible". So, your tastes are just flawed and your opinion is meaningless... Razz

Seriously though, in my opinion, HS can't even hold Stryper's jock strap. Their s/t album, while a good album, is one of the most overrated albums ever in Christian metal.
+1

Back to top Go down

Post by unworthy Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:17 am

1. in reference to Hammer. He had some songs that could be considered "christian" but he also had songs that were obviously NOT christian. For an example on his please hammer don't hurt 'em album he had the song Pray ... and the song Soft and Wet ...

2. As to this whole "christians in a band" versus "christian band" .. this is really a disguise for the "what is christian music" discussion. I know some certainly disagree with me on that one.

3. I don't think an artist's opinion changes the reality of whether they are a "christian band" or not. An artist can call his/his her music "christian" when it's not and say it's "not christian" when it is. The same way a band can refer to their music by a genre which is clearly not what they are. A "christian band" is a "christian band" whether they call themselves that or not.
unworthy
unworthy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:27 pm

unworthy wrote:1. in reference to Hammer. He had some songs that could be considered "christian" but he also had songs that were obviously NOT christian. For an example on his please hammer don't hurt 'em album he had the song Pray ... and the song Soft and Wet ...

2. As to this whole "christians in a band" versus "christian band" .. this is really a disguise for the "what is christian music" discussion. I know some certainly disagree with me on that one.

3. I don't think an artist's opinion changes the reality of whether they are a "christian band" or not. An artist can call his/his her music "christian" when it's not and say it's "not christian" when it is. The same way a band can refer to their music by a genre which is clearly not what they are. A "christian band" is a "christian band" whether they call themselves that or not.

Right, even that song " pray " was a non offensive song for many non Christians that listen to Hammer. Its got the tone of religion for sure, but no substance.

As far " Christian " music in general goes. The ultimate test will always be the content of the lyrics. If we did away with all labels, we would still know who stands for what, from their lyrics. And if someone claims to make real " Christian " music and you can't tell ? Then the Christian label really has no real meaning.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:06 pm

What if the majority of a band's lyrics are Christian, but they also write songs that deal with other topics? (ie, Five Iron Frenzy, Liberty N Justice just for a couple of examples)

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:34 pm

I don't consider LNJ a Christian band, well, at least up until they decided to become a band instead of an all star project.

Though Justin is a Christian, and he is the songwriter, they usually had lead vocalists and sometimes guitarists that weren't.

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:48 pm

WildWorld wrote:What if the majority of a band's lyrics are Christian, but they also write songs that deal with other topics? (ie, Five Iron Frenzy, Liberty N Justice just for a couple of examples)

I think any band whos main goal is to preach the Gospel and teach and edify Christians ( while trying to make good art ) should consider themselves a " Christian " band. Other bands not desiring the Christian label should not use the label, and just let people figure out for themselves from the lyrics and general presentation what they are all about.

I do believe that many bands want their cake and eat too though. They know that Christians are going to their majority base, and then try to distance themselves from Christians music by saying they are not a " Christian " band.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:49 pm

WildWorld wrote:What if the majority of a band's lyrics are Christian
 That's subjected too.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:16 pm

I confused a friend on the weekend by asking her if the band she had watched recently was a christian rock band or a rock band with christians in it.  Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 01, 2015 2:44 am

Michaels comments here really made me proud of him..I understand of what he is saying and I gained a new respect for him..

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next