The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

+18
SirJahzeal
johnnycanuck
oldschooldoom
Jaybird
Soldier777
alldatndensum
strangerhoncho
MegaNorm64
Follower of Jesus
Blake
Hardcore Christian
Superjuice
Professor_Valconian
Candlemass
deathisgain
Temple of Blood
d@v!d
sentient 6
22 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band' Empty Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Guest Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:04 pm

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/strypers-michael-sweet-we-are-not-a-christian-rock-band/

STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

March 25, 2015 99 Comments

Share57 Tweet77 2 Reddit0 Share915

image: http://assets.blabbermouth.net/media/michaelsweetfuse2014_638.jpg

In a brand new interview with CrypticRock.com, STRYPER guitarist/vocalist Michael Sweet was asked what he thinks about the current Christian metal and rock scene "I do not really keep up with it," he replied.

"I come from a different school of thought and I do not like all the labels. I do not like being referred to as a Christian rock band.

"We are not a Christian rock band; we are a rock band comprised of Christians.

"Just like any other rock band out there, you have rock bands that are comprised of drug addicts, you have rock bands that are comprised of Satanists, and you have rock bands that are comprised of Catholics, like SLAYER.

"BLACK SABBATH [bassist] Geezer Butler [wrote] the song 'After Forever', which is about Christ, but they were not labeled a Christian band. Actually the opposite; they were labeled a dark, almost at times a Satanic band, and they are not.

"My point is that I just do not like all the labels.

"If you are going to label a band a Christian band, then you got to label all the other bands.

"If U2 is made up of members that are Catholic, then are they going to be called a Catholic rock band?"

He continued: "I do not know where the label 'Christian rock band' came from. It is hard for me to wrap my mind around it… It instantly puts you in a box. When they put you in a box, it limits what you are put on this earth to do.

"I just feel like it does limit the band. Some people misinterpret that as saying that I am ashamed of my faith or I am running from my faith. I think the exact opposite. We never ran from our faith, we have always been the most full Christian rock band that is comprised of Christians the whole time. We have never held back a punch."

Sweet added: "People certainly cannot say that we deny Christ or our faith, but I just do not like being called a Christian rock band. We are a rock band.

"I have been trying to break down that theory for a long time now, although I do not think I ever will. There is a genre of Christian rock and I guess that will always be."

STRYPER entered SpiritHouse Recording Studios in Northampton, Massachusetts last month to begin recording its new album, "Fallen", for a late 2015 release via Frontiers. Songtitles set to appear on the CD include "Let There Be Light", 'Big Screen Lies", the title track and a cover version of the BLACK SABBATH classic "After Forever".

"Fallen" will include a song that was co-written by SEVENDUST guitarist Clint Lowery.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/strypers-michael-sweet-we-are-not-a-christian-rock-band/#ti5SmuI9IDKSkkSV.99

Last edited by NoOneIsHere on Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band' Empty Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Guest Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:06 pm

The comments section is filled with a lot of negativity (as could be expected)...here is the comment I posted:

He never denies they are Christians, he says they are Christians. He just feels the label limited their opportunities. I am sure being labeled as a Christian band does indeed limit them. Especially in the 80s, but still so today, you have some venues that won't book "Christian" bands, some radio stations that won't play "Christian" songs, some labels won't release "Christian" music, and some fans won't even give you a listen because they automatically reject anything to do with Christianity. I am sure there are a lot more doors than just those that got closed to them, also.

As for people making comments about the band's offstage exploits during the 80's...... really?

They were a young, successful rock band at a time when Hair Bands ruled and were put up onto a pedestal. So they were human and gave into the constant temptation that surrounded them. Big deal. We all have failed (I do so constantly) at one time or another. The difference is some people correct their course and get back onto the right path, and others continue to spiral out of control until they destroy themselves. The Stryper guys corrected their course. Read Michael's book some time.

Being a Christian isn't about being perfect...it isn't based off your actions. You don't earn it. If that was the case, no one would be a Christian as we ALL have failed at some point.

He also isn't the first musician to speak out against labels. A lot of artists don't like them.

Back to top Go down

Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band' Empty Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by sentient 6 Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:50 pm

NoOneIsHere wrote:They were a young, successful rock band at a time when Hair Bands ruled and were put up onto a pedestal. So they were human and gave into the constant temptation that surrounded them. Big deal. We all have failed (I do so constantly) at one time or another. The difference is some people correct their course and get back onto the right path, and others continue to spiral out of control until they destroy themselves. The Stryper guys corrected their course. Read Michael's book some time.

Boy, you sure are askin' for trouble with this one.....Very Happy

I certainly agree that falling and giving into sin doesn't disqualify someone as a true Christian, but there is something to be said about Christian wisdom. Wisdom to know that if they put themselves in that much temptation that they are gonna give into it. It would be like a alcoholic going into a bar trying to witness to people and then wondering why they are buying shots a half hour later. I know Stryper probably thought it was a good idea to go on tour with secular bands, but if can't handle the situation, then you know thats probably not the Holy Spirit leading you to it.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:52 pm

NoOneIsHere wrote:The comments section is filled with a lot of negativity (as could be expected)...here is the comment I posted:

He never denies they are Christians, he says they are Christians. He just feels the label limited their opportunities. I am sure being labeled as a Christian band does indeed limit them. Especially in the 80s, but still so today, you have some venues that won't book "Christian" bands, some radio stations that won't play "Christian" songs, some labels won't release "Christian" music, and some fans won't even give you a listen because they automatically reject anything to do with Christianity. I am sure there are a lot more doors than just those that got closed to them, also.

As for people making comments about the band's offstage exploits during the 80's...... really?

They were a young, successful rock band at a time when Hair Bands ruled and were put up onto a pedestal. So they were human and gave into the constant temptation that surrounded them. Big deal. We all have failed (I do so constantly) at one time or another. The difference is some people correct their course and get back onto the right path, and others continue to spiral out of control until they destroy themselves. The Stryper guys corrected their course. Read Michael's book some time.

Being a Christian isn't about being perfect...it isn't based off your actions. You don't earn it. If that was the case, no one would be a Christian as we ALL have failed at some point.

He also isn't the first musician to speak out against labels. A lot of artists don't like them.
Yeah, but first he says they aren't Christian band and now they are playing Back Sabbath. I thinks it's satan. What are we going to do?

Really, it's sad that it's 2015 and he has to be explaining this stuff.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:56 pm

sentient 6 wrote:
NoOneIsHere wrote:They were a young, successful rock band at a time when Hair Bands ruled and were put up onto a pedestal. So they were human and gave into the constant temptation that surrounded them. Big deal. We all have failed (I do so constantly) at one time or another. The difference is some people correct their course and get back onto the right path, and others continue to spiral out of control until they destroy themselves. The Stryper guys corrected their course. Read Michael's book some time.

Boy, you sure are askin' for trouble with this one.....Very Happy

I certainly agree that falling and giving into sin doesn't disqualify someone as a true Christian, but there is something to be said about Christian wisdom. Wisdom to know that if they put themselves in that much temptation that they are gonna give into it. It would be like a alcoholic going into a bar trying to witness to people and then wondering why they are buying shots a half hour later. I know Stryper probably thought it was a good idea to go on tour with secular bands, but if can't handle the situation, then you know thats probably not the Holy Spirit leading you to it.

Yeah, I thought about that before I posted it.... Shocked .....but I did it anyway...oh wisdom, where art thou?

And while talking about a lack of wisdom Twisted Evil I absolutely agree about your point about using wisdom and not putting yourself into certain situations. But I believe they were still relatively new to the faith, right? Not to mention that they were just young in general, and we know how young people always use wisdom, right?  Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:57 pm

d@v!d wrote:

Really, it's sad that it's 2015 and he has to be explaining this stuff.

Thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:58 pm

Quickly, I have no problem with the label " Christian " ( fill in the blank ) as long as its content reflects that label. Most bands or musicians that actually have real biblical content in their songs usually do not shy away from the label from what I have seen though.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:01 pm

sentient 6 wrote:Quickly, I have no problem with the label " Christian " ( fill in the blank ) as long as its content reflects that label. Most bands or musicians that actually have real biblical content in their songs usually do not shy away from the label from what I have seen though.

You didn't capitalize "biblical" but you did capitalize "Christian"...hmmmmm

Do you think Christians are more important than the written word of God? Heresy, I say!!! Grab the dunking tank! We shalt convert him!!!

Just Joking

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:07 pm

I don't have a problem with the "Chrisitan" label as long as EVERY artist is named/defined by it's lyrical content.  Which would be ridiculous.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:10 pm

The only thing I find interesting, is that when people thought they were a "Christian" band in the 80's, they were hugely successful. If it held them back, then they must have been looking for nothing short of world domination. Very Happy
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:26 pm

deathisgain wrote:The only thing I find interesting, is that when people thought they were a "Christian" band in the 80's, they were hugely successful. If it held them back, then they must have been looking for nothing short of world domination. Very Happy

Yes, they were successful and popular, to a point. They were never as popular or successful in the 80s as other hair bands like Poison, Motley, Twisted, Whitesnake, etc etc...

Definitely out did every Christian metal band though..

darn..

I just labeled them  Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:29 pm

NoOneIsHere wrote:
And while talking about a lack of wisdom Twisted Evil I absolutely agree about your point about using wisdom and not putting yourself into certain situations. But I believe they were still relatively new to the faith, right? Not to mention that they were just young in general, and we know how young people always use wisdom, right?  Razz

Sure, but this then begs alot of questions....

..things that will surely cause....derailment.Cool
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:30 pm

NoOneIsHere wrote:
sentient 6 wrote:Quickly, I have no problem with the label " Christian " ( fill in the blank ) as long as its content reflects that label. Most bands or musicians that actually have real biblical content in their songs usually do not shy away from the label from what I have seen though.

Do you think Christians are more important than the written word of God? Heresy, I say!!! Grab the dunking tank! We shalt convert him!!!

Just Joking

...i shall repent..
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:31 pm

sentient 6 wrote:
NoOneIsHere wrote:

Sure, but this then begs alot of questions....

..things that will surely cause....derailment.Cool

Indeed it shall   Razz

sentient 6 wrote:
NoOneIsHere wrote:

Just Joking

...i shall repent..

lol!

You are forgiven Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:36 pm

Maybe some day after enough interviews like this we can go the the bookstore with books written by Christians and see in the music section the signs that says "if you are a fan of Stryper, you'll like this band... " Wink
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:57 pm

deathisgain wrote:The only thing I find interesting, is that when people thought they were a "Christian" band in the 80's, they were hugely successful. If it held them back, then they must have been looking for nothing short of world domination. Very Happy

Plus, any crossover success from the secular was achieved by non christian songs.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:58 pm

d@v!d wrote:Maybe some day after enough interviews like this we can go the the bookstore with books written by Christians and see in the music section the signs that says "if you are a fan of Stryper, you'll like this band... "Wink

..Razz
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:36 pm

NoOneIsHere wrote:
Yes, they were successful and popular, to a point. They were never as popular or successful in the 80s as other hair bands like Poison, Motley, Twisted, Whitesnake, etc etc...

But they were HUGELY popular. Even had THEE number one song for a long time. Any band from that era isn't as big as they once were, so they are all in the same boat.

sentient 6 wrote:

Plus, any crossover success from the secular was achieved by non christian songs.

We could argue the definition of "Christian" songs, but I was unsaved at the time, and I knew they were about Jesus. So despite that, they were still doing well. The point is, that I don't think the title holds people back as much as artist believe it does.
deathisgain
deathisgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:41 pm

I run a "Christian Gothic Lawn Care Service!"

Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band' Improvjam019
Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:48 pm

Candlemass wrote:I run a "Christian Gothic Lawn Care Service!"

Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band' Improvjam019
Lol! The Savior Machine lawn mower!! Awesome!
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:04 am

Candlemass wrote:I run a "Christian Gothic Lawn Care Service!"

The mower is yellow and black. Does that mean it is a Stryper mower?
deathisgain
deathisgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor_Valconian Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:28 am

My question would be ... was it simply being labeled as a "Christian Band" that held them back, or was it the fact that nearly all of their songs had overtly Christian themes and lyrics?

I guess to me there is a difference between a Christian Band and a Band whose members are Christians. The difference is what they write songs about. For example, I would call Theocracy a Christian Band and based on recent releases I would call Teramaze a Band whose members are Christians.

That is just how I think about it. Clearly there are others who see it differently.
Professor_Valconian
Professor_Valconian
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Location : In a meeting of the Society who puts things on top of other things

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:43 am

deathisgain wrote:
The point is, that I don't think the title holds people back as much as artist believe it does.

If we are framing this as " held back " what do you think that is referring too ? Do you think album sales ? Or just this general feeling that secular rock fans won't be as open to them with a christian label ?

....just askin'
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:54 am

This is true.  They are a Christian metal band.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:09 am

Superjuice wrote:This is true.  They are a Christian metal band.
I thought they were a Christian glam rock band?

Wow no one can get it right Evil or Very Mad

Razz
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next