Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:34 pm

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/strypers-michael-sweet-we-are-not-a-christian-rock-band/







STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

March 25, 2015 99 Comments

Share57 Tweet77 2 Reddit0 Share915

image: http://assets.blabbermouth.net/media/michaelsweetfuse2014_638.jpg


In a brand new interview with CrypticRock.com, STRYPER guitarist/vocalist Michael Sweet was asked what he thinks about the current Christian metal and rock scene "I do not really keep up with it," he replied.

"I come from a different school of thought and I do not like all the labels. I do not like being referred to as a Christian rock band.

"We are not a Christian rock band; we are a rock band comprised of Christians.

"Just like any other rock band out there, you have rock bands that are comprised of drug addicts, you have rock bands that are comprised of Satanists, and you have rock bands that are comprised of Catholics, like SLAYER.

"BLACK SABBATH [bassist] Geezer Butler [wrote] the song 'After Forever', which is about Christ, but they were not labeled a Christian band. Actually the opposite; they were labeled a dark, almost at times a Satanic band, and they are not.

"My point is that I just do not like all the labels.

"If you are going to label a band a Christian band, then you got to label all the other bands.

"If U2 is made up of members that are Catholic, then are they going to be called a Catholic rock band?"

He continued: "I do not know where the label 'Christian rock band' came from. It is hard for me to wrap my mind around it… It instantly puts you in a box. When they put you in a box, it limits what you are put on this earth to do.

"I just feel like it does limit the band. Some people misinterpret that as saying that I am ashamed of my faith or I am running from my faith. I think the exact opposite. We never ran from our faith, we have always been the most full Christian rock band that is comprised of Christians the whole time. We have never held back a punch."

Sweet added: "People certainly cannot say that we deny Christ or our faith, but I just do not like being called a Christian rock band. We are a rock band.

"I have been trying to break down that theory for a long time now, although I do not think I ever will. There is a genre of Christian rock and I guess that will always be."

STRYPER entered SpiritHouse Recording Studios in Northampton, Massachusetts last month to begin recording its new album, "Fallen", for a late 2015 release via Frontiers. Songtitles set to appear on the CD include "Let There Be Light", 'Big Screen Lies", the title track and a cover version of the BLACK SABBATH classic "After Forever".

"Fallen" will include a song that was co-written by SEVENDUST guitarist Clint Lowery.


Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/strypers-michael-sweet-we-are-not-a-christian-rock-band/#ti5SmuI9IDKSkkSV.99


Last edited by NoOneIsHere on Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:36 pm

The comments section is filled with a lot of negativity (as could be expected)...here is the comment I posted:


He never denies they are Christians, he says they are Christians. He just feels the label limited their opportunities. I am sure being labeled as a Christian band does indeed limit them. Especially in the 80s, but still so today, you have some venues that won't book "Christian" bands, some radio stations that won't play "Christian" songs, some labels won't release "Christian" music, and some fans won't even give you a listen because they automatically reject anything to do with Christianity. I am sure there are a lot more doors than just those that got closed to them, also.

As for people making comments about the band's offstage exploits during the 80's...... really?

They were a young, successful rock band at a time when Hair Bands ruled and were put up onto a pedestal. So they were human and gave into the constant temptation that surrounded them. Big deal. We all have failed (I do so constantly) at one time or another. The difference is some people correct their course and get back onto the right path, and others continue to spiral out of control until they destroy themselves. The Stryper guys corrected their course. Read Michael's book some time.

Being a Christian isn't about being perfect...it isn't based off your actions. You don't earn it. If that was the case, no one would be a Christian as we ALL have failed at some point.

He also isn't the first musician to speak out against labels. A lot of artists don't like them.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by sentient 6 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:20 pm

NoOneIsHere wrote:They were a young, successful rock band at a time when Hair Bands ruled and were put up onto a pedestal. So they were human and gave into the constant temptation that surrounded them. Big deal. We all have failed (I do so constantly) at one time or another. The difference is some people correct their course and get back onto the right path, and others continue to spiral out of control until they destroy themselves. The Stryper guys corrected their course. Read Michael's book some time.

Boy, you sure are askin' for trouble with this one.....Very Happy


I certainly agree that falling and giving into sin doesn't disqualify someone as a true Christian, but there is something to be said about Christian wisdom. Wisdom to know that if they put themselves in that much temptation that they are gonna give into it. It would be like a alcoholic going into a bar trying to witness to people and then wondering why they are buying shots a half hour later. I know Stryper probably thought it was a good idea to go on tour with secular bands, but if can't handle the situation, then you know thats probably not the Holy Spirit leading you to it.
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5802
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by d@v!d on Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:22 pm

NoOneIsHere wrote:The comments section is filled with a lot of negativity (as could be expected)...here is the comment I posted:


He never denies they are Christians, he says they are Christians. He just feels the label limited their opportunities. I am sure being labeled as a Christian band does indeed limit them. Especially in the 80s, but still so today, you have some venues that won't book "Christian" bands, some radio stations that won't play "Christian" songs, some labels won't release "Christian" music, and some fans won't even give you a listen because they automatically reject anything to do with Christianity. I am sure there are a lot more doors than just those that got closed to them, also.

As for people making comments about the band's offstage exploits during the 80's...... really?

They were a young, successful rock band at a time when Hair Bands ruled and were put up onto a pedestal. So they were human and gave into the constant temptation that surrounded them. Big deal. We all have failed (I do so constantly) at one time or another. The difference is some people correct their course and get back onto the right path, and others continue to spiral out of control until they destroy themselves. The Stryper guys corrected their course. Read Michael's book some time.

Being a Christian isn't about being perfect...it isn't based off your actions. You don't earn it. If that was the case, no one would be a Christian as we ALL have failed at some point.

He also isn't the first musician to speak out against labels. A lot of artists don't like them.
Yeah, but first he says they aren't Christian band and now they are playing Back Sabbath. I thinks it's satan. What are we going to do?


Really, it's sad that it's 2015 and he has to be explaining this stuff.
avatar
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3507
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Visiting

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:26 pm

sentient 6 wrote:
NoOneIsHere wrote:They were a young, successful rock band at a time when Hair Bands ruled and were put up onto a pedestal. So they were human and gave into the constant temptation that surrounded them. Big deal. We all have failed (I do so constantly) at one time or another. The difference is some people correct their course and get back onto the right path, and others continue to spiral out of control until they destroy themselves. The Stryper guys corrected their course. Read Michael's book some time.

Boy, you sure are askin' for trouble with this one.....Very Happy


I certainly agree that falling and giving into sin doesn't disqualify someone as a true Christian, but there is something to be said about Christian wisdom. Wisdom to know that if they put themselves in that much temptation that they are gonna give into it. It would be like a alcoholic going into a bar trying to witness to people and then wondering why they are buying shots a half hour later. I know Stryper probably thought it was a good idea to go on tour with secular bands, but if can't handle the situation, then you know thats probably not the Holy Spirit leading you to it.

Yeah, I thought about that before I posted it.... Shocked .....but I did it anyway...oh wisdom, where art thou?

And while talking about a lack of wisdom Twisted Evil I absolutely agree about your point about using wisdom and not putting yourself into certain situations. But I believe they were still relatively new to the faith, right? Not to mention that they were just young in general, and we know how young people always use wisdom, right?  Razz

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:27 pm

d@v!d wrote:


Really, it's sad that it's 2015 and he has to be explaining this stuff.

Thumbs up

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by sentient 6 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:28 pm

Quickly, I have no problem with the label " Christian " ( fill in the blank ) as long as its content reflects that label. Most bands or musicians that actually have real biblical content in their songs usually do not shy away from the label from what I have seen though.
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5802
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:31 pm

sentient 6 wrote:Quickly, I have no problem with the label " Christian " ( fill in the blank ) as long as its content reflects that label. Most bands or musicians that actually have real biblical content in their songs usually do not shy away from the label from what I have seen though.

You didn't capitalize "biblical" but you did capitalize "Christian"...hmmmmm

Do you think Christians are more important than the written word of God? Heresy, I say!!! Grab the dunking tank! We shalt convert him!!!

Just Joking

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Temple of Blood on Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:37 pm

I don't have a problem with the "Chrisitan" label as long as EVERY artist is named/defined by it's lyrical content.  Which would be ridiculous.

Temple of Blood
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 751
Join date : 2012-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by deathisgain on Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:40 pm

The only thing I find interesting, is that when people thought they were a "Christian" band in the 80's, they were hugely successful. If it held them back, then they must have been looking for nothing short of world domination. Very Happy
avatar
deathisgain
Metal Slacker

Posts : 2133
Join date : 2012-02-01
Age : 47

http://www.deathisgain.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:56 pm

deathisgain wrote:The only thing I find interesting, is that when people thought they were a "Christian" band in the 80's, they were hugely successful. If it held them back, then they must have been looking for nothing short of world domination. Very Happy


Yes, they were successful and popular, to a point. They were never as popular or successful in the 80s as other hair bands like Poison, Motley, Twisted, Whitesnake, etc etc...

Definitely out did every Christian metal band though..

darn..

I just labeled them  Twisted Evil

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by sentient 6 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:59 pm

NoOneIsHere wrote:
And while talking about a lack of wisdom Twisted Evil I absolutely agree about your point about using wisdom and not putting yourself into certain situations. But I believe they were still relatively new to the faith, right? Not to mention that they were just young in general, and we know how young people always use wisdom, right?  Razz

Sure, but this then begs alot of questions....

..things that will surely cause....derailment.Cool
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5802
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by sentient 6 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:00 pm

NoOneIsHere wrote:
sentient 6 wrote:Quickly, I have no problem with the label " Christian " ( fill in the blank ) as long as its content reflects that label. Most bands or musicians that actually have real biblical content in their songs usually do not shy away from the label from what I have seen though.

You didn't capitalize "biblical" but you did capitalize "Christian"...hmmmmm

Do you think Christians are more important than the written word of God? Heresy, I say!!! Grab the dunking tank! We shalt convert him!!!

Just Joking

...i shall repent..
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5802
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:01 pm

sentient 6 wrote:
NoOneIsHere wrote:
And while talking about a lack of wisdom Twisted Evil I absolutely agree about your point about using wisdom and not putting yourself into certain situations. But I believe they were still relatively new to the faith, right? Not to mention that they were just young in general, and we know how young people always use wisdom, right?  Razz

Sure, but this then begs alot of questions....

..things that will surely cause....derailment.Cool

Indeed it shall   Razz


sentient 6 wrote:
NoOneIsHere wrote:
sentient 6 wrote:Quickly, I have no problem with the label " Christian " ( fill in the blank ) as long as its content reflects that label. Most bands or musicians that actually have real biblical content in their songs usually do not shy away from the label from what I have seen though.

You didn't capitalize "biblical" but you did capitalize "Christian"...hmmmmm

Do you think Christians are more important than the written word of God? Heresy, I say!!! Grab the dunking tank! We shalt convert him!!!

Just Joking

...i shall repent..

lol!

You are forgiven Smile

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by d@v!d on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:06 pm

Maybe some day after enough interviews like this we can go the the bookstore with books written by Christians and see in the music section the signs that says "if you are a fan of Stryper, you'll like this band... " Wink
avatar
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3507
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Visiting

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by sentient 6 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:27 pm

deathisgain wrote:The only thing I find interesting, is that when people thought they were a "Christian" band in the 80's, they were hugely successful. If it held them back, then they must have been looking for nothing short of world domination. Very Happy

Plus, any crossover success from the secular was achieved by non christian songs.
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5802
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by sentient 6 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:28 pm

d@v!d wrote:Maybe some day after enough interviews like this we can go the the bookstore with books written by Christians and see in the music section the signs that says "if you are a fan of Stryper, you'll like this band... "Wink

..Razz
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5802
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by deathisgain on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:06 pm

NoOneIsHere wrote:
deathisgain wrote:The only thing I find interesting, is that when people thought they were a "Christian" band in the 80's, they were hugely successful. If it held them back, then they must have been looking for nothing short of world domination. Very Happy
Yes, they were successful and popular, to a point. They were never as popular or successful in the 80s as other hair bands like Poison, Motley, Twisted, Whitesnake, etc etc...

But they were HUGELY popular. Even had THEE number one song for a long time. Any band from that era isn't as big as they once were, so they are all in the same boat.


sentient 6 wrote:
deathisgain wrote:The only thing I find interesting, is that when people thought they were a "Christian" band in the 80's, they were hugely successful. If it held them back, then they must have been looking for nothing short of world domination. Very Happy

Plus, any crossover success from the secular was achieved by non christian songs.

We could argue the definition of "Christian" songs, but I was unsaved at the time, and I knew they were about Jesus. So despite that, they were still doing well. The point is, that I don't think the title holds people back as much as artist believe it does.
avatar
deathisgain
Metal Slacker

Posts : 2133
Join date : 2012-02-01
Age : 47

http://www.deathisgain.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Candlemass on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:11 pm

I run a "Christian Gothic Lawn Care Service!"

avatar
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3939
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 54
Location : Cleveland, Oh

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by d@v!d on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:18 pm

Candlemass wrote:I run a "Christian Gothic Lawn Care Service!"

Lol! The Savior Machine lawn mower!! Awesome!
avatar
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3507
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Visiting

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by deathisgain on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:34 pm

Candlemass wrote:I run a "Christian Gothic Lawn Care Service!"


The mower is yellow and black. Does that mean it is a Stryper mower?
avatar
deathisgain
Metal Slacker

Posts : 2133
Join date : 2012-02-01
Age : 47

http://www.deathisgain.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Professor_Valconian on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:58 pm

My question would be ... was it simply being labeled as a "Christian Band" that held them back, or was it the fact that nearly all of their songs had overtly Christian themes and lyrics?

I guess to me there is a difference between a Christian Band and a Band whose members are Christians. The difference is what they write songs about. For example, I would call Theocracy a Christian Band and based on recent releases I would call Teramaze a Band whose members are Christians.

That is just how I think about it. Clearly there are others who see it differently.
avatar
Professor_Valconian
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 513
Join date : 2013-10-24
Age : 49
Location : In a meeting of the Society who puts things on top of other things

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by sentient 6 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:13 pm

deathisgain wrote:
The point is, that I don't think the title holds people back as much as artist believe it does.

If we are framing this as " held back " what do you think that is referring too ? Do you think album sales ? Or just this general feeling that secular rock fans won't be as open to them with a christian label ?

....just askin'
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5802
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Superjuice on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:24 pm

This is true.  They are a Christian metal band.
avatar
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1352
Join date : 2012-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Hardcore Christian on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:39 pm

Superjuice wrote:This is true.  They are a Christian metal band.
I thought they were a Christian glam rock band?

Wow no one can get it right Evil or Very Mad








Razz
avatar
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3639
Join date : 2013-07-31
Age : 17
Location : Spokane, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Blake on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:02 am

From the artists perspective I can see why they dont like labels, because it does limit your reach since Christian is an instant turn-off to many. But from a consumer perspective, when I first got into Christian metal I had decided "I'm going to look for Godly (or Christian) music". So I searched google for "Christian metal" having no knowledge of any Christian bands other than newsboys or supertones.

At that point in time if bands had not been "labeled" as Christian then I may not have been able to find Tourniquet and Mortification. If I hadnt found these bands and started my "journey" into Christian metal, then I:

1. Probably wouldnt be spiritually in the same place, or spiritually any place for that matter.
2. I probably wouldnt have gotten into radio and Metal Blessing Radio wouldnt exist, nor any startups influenced by mbr.

I say all that to say, labels do help seekers find the music that will change their lives.
avatar
Blake
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1142
Join date : 2014-01-13
Age : 32
Location : Owasso, Oklahoma

http://reanimatedradio.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Candlemass on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:06 pm

deathisgain wrote:
Candlemass wrote:I run a "Christian Gothic Lawn Care Service!"


The mower is yellow and black. Does that mean it is a Stryper mower?

No, I'm promoting the bumble bee version of "Legend III:II."
avatar
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3939
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 54
Location : Cleveland, Oh

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Follower of Jesus on Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:53 am

The Apostle Paul gladly wore the abel of Christian. I tend to agree with many of the comments on FB if not their tone.
avatar
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1228
Join date : 2012-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:14 am

Follower of Jesus wrote:The Apostle Paul gladly wore the abel of Christian. I tend to agree with many of the comments on FB if not their tone.

Paul wasn't in a band, was he?

Michael has no problem wearing the label "Christian"....he states that.

He doesn't like the "band" being labeled as Christian.

People seem to miss the fact that he NEVER denies Christ in the article. He says he is a Christian. He just simply doesn't like bands being labeled that way.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Candlemass on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:44 am

I'm cool w/it either way, there is no mandate to in a "Christian Band", or not to be...
avatar
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3939
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 54
Location : Cleveland, Oh

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:44 am

Candlemass wrote:
deathisgain wrote:
Candlemass wrote:I run a "Christian Gothic Lawn Care Service!"


The mower is yellow and black. Does that mean it is a Stryper mower?

No, I'm promoting the bumble bee version of "Legend III:II."
Laughing

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:45 am

Hardcore Christian wrote:
Superjuice wrote:This is true.  They are a Christian metal band.
I thought they were a Christian glam rock band?

Wow no one can get it right Evil or Very Mad








Razz
Sir, you have won the Internet!  Cool

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:01 am

Candlemass wrote:I'm cool w/it either way, there is no mandate to in a "Christian Band", or not to be...


Agreed

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by elparanorman on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:09 am

Had a long post. Got too mad because annoyed by all the negativity "Christians" have given Michael due to his not wanting the Christian label on the band. Deleted long post and typed this much shorter one instead out of rage.  Mad 1
avatar
elparanorman
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 787
Join date : 2014-02-18
Age : 30
Location : San Francisco

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:13 am

ParaNormaN wrote:Had a long post. Got too mad because annoyed by all the negativity "Christians" have given Michael due to his not wanting the Christian label on the band. Deleted long post and typed this much shorter one instead out of rage.  Mad 1


lol!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:17 am

It's always amazing how Christians can't wait to attack another Christian. Christians have been tearing Stryper apart since they came out. 

I actually unfriended (on FB) the lead singer from Arsenal over it.

I also left the FB fan group for Bloodgood because the guy who runs it was bashing Stryper over this. He started accusing anyone who defended Michael as worshiping Stryper..which is really funny since the dude has put Bloodgood up on a pedestal and is embarrassing with his man-love for them.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by elparanorman on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:26 am

NoOneIsHere wrote:It's always amazing how Christians can't wait to attack another Christian. Christians have been tearing Stryper apart since they came out. 

I actually unfriended (on FB) the lead singer from Arsenal over it.

I also left the FB fan group for Bloodgood because the guy who runs it was bashing Stryper over this. He started accusing anyone who defended Michael as worshiping Stryper..which is really funny since the dude has put Bloodgood up on a pedestal and is embarrassing with his man-love for them.
Right??? It's embarrassing...

Wow, I hardly join any Christian group page for the same exact reason. Some may seem cool until something from another band happens, then they show their true colors. I'm grateful that Michael and the rest of the band are so open minded, it doesn't give me any reason to dislike any of them.
avatar
elparanorman
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 787
Join date : 2014-02-18
Age : 30
Location : San Francisco

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:39 am

ParaNormaN wrote:
NoOneIsHere wrote:It's always amazing how Christians can't wait to attack another Christian. Christians have been tearing Stryper apart since they came out. 

I actually unfriended (on FB) the lead singer from Arsenal over it.

I also left the FB fan group for Bloodgood because the guy who runs it was bashing Stryper over this. He started accusing anyone who defended Michael as worshiping Stryper..which is really funny since the dude has put Bloodgood up on a pedestal and is embarrassing with his man-love for them.
Right??? It's embarrassing...

Wow, I hardly join any Christian group page for the same exact reason. Some may seem cool until something from another band happens, then they show their true colors. I'm grateful that Michael and the rest of the band are so open minded, it doesn't give me any reason to dislike any of them.


I think a lot of times these other bands are just envious. I mean, really, Arsenal was a blip on the radar, if even that.

As for Bloodgood, I just want to clarify that the band said nothing wrong...it was the guy running the Facebook group (unofficial fan group, but Michael and other members did post there sometimes)

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by strangerhoncho on Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:28 pm

I fully understand and agree with Michael's viewpoint, but it's a little too late at this point.  Kinda like the pope saying he doesn't wanted to be called Catholic anymore, but just a pope who happens to be a Catholic.

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 639
Join date : 2012-02-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:33 pm

I agree. The horse has bolted.

It's kind of him to give the lunatic fringe something to get wound up about though.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by sentient 6 on Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:34 am

Would it not have been better if Michael said something like " we are no longer a christian metal band " ? Because after all, from what I could tell in the 80s, they certainly saw themselves that way. I believe they used to refer to themselves as " christian " artists.  I mean, just look at the name and the explanation they would give on what it meant. They even had Isaiah 53 in their logo. I even remember someone in the band ( maybe Robert ) also stating that STRYPER stood for something distinctly Christian.

Also, why is it that it is " Christians " who are the majority of people that buy their music ? I think they may want their cake and eat too. You can't rely primarily on Christians to purchase your muisc and claim that you are not making music that appeals to Christians.

Btw, is it wrong to say that Amon Amarth is viking death metal ? Sure, the " death metal " lets you know the genre, but the " viking " lets you know the subject matter. The truth is that labels are here to stay because they serve a very practical purpose.
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5802
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Candlemass on Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:43 am

That's true, there's no question that Stryper put themselves in that box, along w/Believer, Saviour Machine, Teramaze and a host of others who wanted out later...
avatar
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3939
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 54
Location : Cleveland, Oh

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Follower of Jesus on Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:13 am

What is he afraid of? Why not embrace the label of Christian? Is it because it will limit record sales? I'm serious...what's the motivation behind saying this? I can't help but think that its nothing more than not wanting to alienate people who might listen to Stryper but won't if they think they're a Christian band. Again, I come back to our examples in Scripture. Wearing the name of Christ is something we should boast in! I don't say this is a condemnation of Michael. I don't agree with him on this at all, but I do believe he is still very much my brother in Christ.
avatar
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1228
Join date : 2012-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Candlemass on Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:36 am

Part of the problem w/being labeled a "Christian Band" is what's expected of you. Many look to Christian bands as leaders in the church, they're expected to take on the role of pastor, theologian, healer, elder...and many look to Christian rock concerts as some sort of crusade or church service and are expecting God to do some huge work of grace in their lives there, it can turn into quite the circus act...
avatar
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3939
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 54
Location : Cleveland, Oh

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by alldatndensum on Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:41 am

1.  The label will stand no matter what Michael says he wants.  Radio stations will call you a Christian band if your lyrical content is mostly about Jesus.  The magazines and reviewer sites will brand you with that because of the content.  Fans will call you a Christian band when your focus is on Jesus.  As humans, we classify and sort everything, so Michael needs to just let it go as he can't stop it short of taking Jesus out of the songs.

2.  Controversy is a marketing tool that Hollywood uses quite frequently.  Let some actor/actress say something goofball or get divorced or arrested or whatever and the tabloids and fans run it through the ringer.  Now, that person is trending.  Also, the publicist of said actor makes sure that any new movies or tv shows with that actor gets tied to that info train while that controversial person is trending.  Now, everyone gets to know about the upcoming work of this person.  That's a lot of free publicity.

Perhaps this is more about selling a new Stryper record than it is about distancing himself from whatever tags will be placed on the music by almost everyone?
avatar
alldatndensum
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 4273
Join date : 2012-02-06
Age : 47
Location : Tennessee

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:19 am

Candlemass wrote:Part of the problem w/being labeled a "Christian Band" is what's expected of you. Many look to Christian bands as leaders in the church, they're expected to take on the role of pastor, theologian, healer, elder...and many look to Christian rock concerts as some sort of crusade or church service and are expecting God to do some huge work of grace in their lives there, it can turn into quite the circus act...

Agreed

I don't know if this is actually how Michael feels or not, but that is definitely something that happens and I could see him not wanting to be lumped into that camp. So yeah, it could be a possibility.

I also think the "saying something to get them talking" has some validity, too. A lot of artists do that.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:30 am

Candlemass wrote:Part of the problem w/being labeled a "Christian Band" is what's expected of you. Many look to Christian bands as leaders in the church, they're expected to take on the role of pastor, theologian, healer, elder...and many look to Christian rock concerts as some sort of crusade or church service and are expecting God to do some huge work of grace in their lives there, it can turn into quite the circus act...

Bingo.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:31 am

Follower of Jesus wrote:What is he afraid of? Why not embrace the label of Christian? Is it because it will limit record sales? I'm serious...what's the motivation behind saying this? I can't help but think that its nothing more than not wanting to alienate people who might listen to Stryper but won't if they think they're a Christian band. Again, I come back to our examples in Scripture. Wearing the name of Christ is something we should boast in! I don't say this is a condemnation of Michael. I don't agree with him on this at all, but I do believe he is still very much my brother in Christ.
Not so quick there, FOJ.  For instance, author Ted Dekker also is not too fond of the "Christian" label, as he believes that word has been maligned, misused, and has been an oppressive symbol among certain groups.  He prefers "Christ-follower," as do I.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Candlemass on Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:55 am

Neal Morse Code wrote:
Follower of Jesus wrote:What is he afraid of? Why not embrace the label of Christian? Is it because it will limit record sales? I'm serious...what's the motivation behind saying this? I can't help but think that its nothing more than not wanting to alienate people who might listen to Stryper but won't if they think they're a Christian band. Again, I come back to our examples in Scripture. Wearing the name of Christ is something we should boast in! I don't say this is a condemnation of Michael. I don't agree with him on this at all, but I do believe he is still very much my brother in Christ.
Not so quick there, FOJ.  For instance, author Ted Dekker also is not too fond of the "Christian" label, as he believes that word has been maligned, misused, and has been an oppressive symbol among certain groups.  He prefers "Christ-follower," as do I.

Yea, not so fast there either, as if some new label won't be maligned, misused and a symbol of oppression among certain groups as well...

"Because of you, the name of the Lord is blasphemed among the Gentiles!"
avatar
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3939
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 54
Location : Cleveland, Oh

Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:07 am

As far as bands like Amon Amarth go, there is a certain sound (albeit a rather subtle one) that distinguishes "viking" metal from other melodeath/folk metal. That being said, I prefer that genre labels deal purely with the sound of the music, but if people want to include lyrical content in that, I see no reason to complain. And rejecting the "Christian" label while keeping your lyrics obviously Christian doesn't seem problematic...

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Blabbermouth.net Interview: STRYPER'S MICHAEL SWEET: 'We Are Not A Christian Rock Band'

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum