The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Neal Morse Band - The Grand Experiment

+8
MikeInFla
metaldude
Markus1987
Candlemass
Friday13th
FreeRangeBeliever
d@v!d
KaramKaram
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Neal Morse Band - The Grand Experiment - Page 2 Empty Re: Neal Morse Band - The Grand Experiment

Post by MikeInFla Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:53 am

I emailed the record company and they said there would be a digital release in the coming days so that is probably what I will do. I did find the vinyl version with free shipping here for under $25:

http://www.grooves-inc.com/the-neal-morse-band-the-grand-experiment-vinyl-2cd-insideoutm-vinyl-album-pZZa1-1899387583.html

It also comes with 2 cd's so that is not bad at all for the vinyl version plus 2 CD's. I almost ordered, however I had never heard of that company (grooves-inc.com) and when I searched the net for reviews on the site a lot of people said they were pretty shady and not based in the US and offer items for sale that they do not have.

So as much as I would like it on "record" I'll wait til it hits iTunes and use my free gift card from Christmas.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Neal Morse Band - The Grand Experiment - Page 2 Empty Re: Neal Morse Band - The Grand Experiment

Post by KaramKaram Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:41 am

Radiant Records also has a vinil version
KaramKaram
KaramKaram
Deadpool
Deadpool

https://lotsofmuzik.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by FreeRangeBeliever Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:17 pm

Friday13th wrote:This song I like Very Happy

This is too ''happy'' for me...i prefer his stuff like Sola Scriptura...and there isn't much proginess to this or the other track from this album i've heard - Grand Experiment
FreeRangeBeliever
FreeRangeBeliever
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:04 pm

KaramKaram wrote:Radiant Records also has a vinil version

Yes, but shipping is waaayyyy to high so I'm waiting for it to show up cheaper somewhere else or just wait for the downloads.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:38 pm

FreeRangeBeliever wrote:

This is too ''happy'' for me...i prefer his stuff like Sola Scriptura...and there isn't much proginess to this or the other track from this album i've heard - Grand Experiment

It looks as if I had written that last part, so make sure you start writing under the quote tongue I would agree with you that it's not nearly as proggy as his best stuff. I think this second song has a bit more edge then the title track, but yeah no Sola Scriptura, One or Question Mark here. I just listened to the whole album...the two bookending epic tracks are great. You'll hear some heavier stuff especially on the last epic. The middle tracks are fair (the worst being the title track), with the ballad "Waterfall" sounding like an extra proggy King's X ballad. Really dig it. The bonus tracks are more proggy than these two actually, so if you dig it definitely at least buy those two on itunes. It's a bit disappointing, but not because it's bad. It's just more of the same, and with a title like "Grand Experiment" you'd think it would be more adventurous.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:18 pm

Here she is, my inevitable review. Now ya'll can see my profile and all the secular music I listen to so check it out Very Happy 
http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/65988/Neal-Morse-The-Grand-Experiment/
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:49 pm

Just bought it from iTunes. They had the deluxe version on there and it was $19.99 (which is pretty steep for digital downloads). I'll listen to it in the morning. A total of ten songs And some of them long so I am looking forward to hearing it.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by KaramKaram Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:09 am

For me the album is pretty solid, I am loving it from start to finish
KaramKaram
KaramKaram
Deadpool
Deadpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:43 pm

FreeRangeBeliever wrote:

+1

Boo to happy music. just kidding, but it's not all that heavy and the main riff is kinda ho-hum.  Good harmony vocals which is surprising since I usually cringe whenever Portnoy opens his mouth, but the other guys are involved too.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:25 pm

I like the lyrics of "Agenda." Yeah, it's like a simpler sound of "I Am the Walrus" but it's short and sweet.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by FreeRangeBeliever Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:15 am

Superjuice wrote:
FreeRangeBeliever wrote:

+1

Boo to happy music. just kidding, but it's not all that heavy and the main riff is kinda ho-hum.  Good harmony vocals which is surprising since I usually cringe whenever Portnoy opens his mouth, but the other guys are involved too.
I like his stuff when it has plenty of keyboards and keyboard and guitar solos and rocking parts.....Quite often he veers into just basic rock/pop and it starts to bore me...My favourite period for me was from 2003 to 2007....Momentum i couldn't get into - though i don't mind Testimony 2 but haven't listened to that alot..
FreeRangeBeliever
FreeRangeBeliever
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:19 am

^ same that was definitely the golden age
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:23 am

This is really up my alley, I enjoy this type of music more than metal. This reminds me of Yes, Styx, Genesis, Rush, Alan Parsons Project and more all thrown into one band. I don't particularly care for some of the stuff that sounds like Praise music (bonus cuts) but even those have moments of greatness. The only Neal I have ever heard is Cover To Cover (and I see he also released a Cover 2 Cover). I had no idea this type of Christian Rock was even out there.

So tell me, what other releases should I look for. If I wanted to hear the above bands, Yes, Styx, Genesis, etc what Neal albums would fill that area for me?

My favorite tracks on the new one are The Call, The Grand Experiment, Alive Again and Doomsday Destiny. All great, great stuff with a 70's rock feel.

I did go to Spotify and tried to find some of his stuff on there but there is only one song, no full albums. So I brought up Spock's Beard, another band I had never heard (I had always heard of them but for some reason thought they were college alternative). Right now I am listening to "A Treasure Abandoned" and it is a very, very good album. I did not know they were still around.

One final question -- Does John Elephante's "On My Way To The Sun" sound like any of this? If so I am gonna have to spend some $$$ dough on some more Neal Morse, Spock's Beard and John Elephante.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by KaramKaram Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:49 am

Check:
One
Sola Scritura
Testimony I and II
Momentum
Lifeline

In that order. You can hear the full albums on YouTube

KaramKaram
KaramKaram
Deadpool
Deadpool

Back to top Go down

Post by FreeRangeBeliever Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:34 am

Check out
Testimony 1, One, Sola Scriptura and Lifeline.....They are his best imo....

This is one of my favourites ever - live from the Testimony 1 dvd. 
The part from 3.10 to 5.08 is just awesome!!!

FreeRangeBeliever
FreeRangeBeliever
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:15 am

MikeInFla wrote:This is really up my alley, I enjoy this type of music more than metal. This reminds me of Yes, Styx, Genesis, Rush, Alan Parsons Project and more all thrown into one band. I don't particularly care for some of the stuff that sounds like Praise music (bonus cuts) but even those have moments of greatness. The only Neal I have ever heard is Cover To Cover (and I see he also released a Cover 2 Cover). I had no idea this type of Christian Rock was even out there.

So tell me, what other releases should I look for. If I wanted to hear the above bands, Yes, Styx, Genesis, etc what Neal albums would fill that area for me?

My favorite tracks on the new one are The Call, The Grand Experiment, Alive Again and Doomsday Destiny. All great, great stuff with a 70's rock feel.

I did go to Spotify and tried to find some of his stuff on there but there is only one song, no full albums. So I brought up Spock's Beard, another band I had never heard (I had always heard of them but for some reason thought they were college alternative). Right now I am listening to "A Treasure Abandoned" and it is a very, very good album. I did not know they were still around.

One final question -- Does John Elephante's "On My Way To The Sun" sound like any of this? If so I am gonna have to spend some $$$ dough on some more Neal Morse, Spock's Beard and John Elephante.

Dude, same. My favorite secular bands are King Crimson, Yes, Rush, Genesis etc. 
Here's my suggestion of where to start: reverse order from 2007-2003.
1. Sola Scriptura (2007)- concept album about Martin Luther with lyrics as complex as Genesis' Lamb Lies Down on Broadway only it MAKES SENSE  Razz His heaviest sounding too, though I wouldn't quite call it metal. I cry the first 29 minute song is soo good.

2. Question Mark (2005, commonly seen as merely "?") - It's another concept album on the temple of God from the Bible, and it's his most cohesive album. Think like Dark Side of the Moon with each track flowing into the next. Steve Hackett plays in it! 
3. One (2004) - Concept album on being separated from God since creation and finding your way back. Not his most even I don't think, but some of his best songs are on here, including "Author of Confusion" for Gentle Giant fans and "The Creation" and "The Separated Man" suites.
4. Testimony (2003) - his first solo, double-concept album about...duh...his testimony. It's a bit long winded especially towards the end, but it's still very good.

Have fun bro, he's my second favorite Christian artist! It's a shame their aren't many good Christian prog bands out there, but I could name you a couple if you wanted more.  Thumbs up
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:40 pm

My Neal collection:

?
? Live
Testimony 1
Testimony 2
One
Testimony 1 Live
Testimony 2 Live
Grand Experiment
Get in the Boat
Momentum
Momentum Live
So Many Roads
Lifeline
Sola Scriptura
Songs From the Highway
God Won't Give Up
It's Not Too Late
Neal Morse
Songs From November

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:02 am

Just curious, how is the Spock's Beard album "Snow"? It wasn't on Spotify so I listened to "Brief Nocturnes & Dreamless Sleep" and it was pretty good.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:44 am

I own Snow on CD. Not my favorite, mainly because it's too long and has too many balladish songs. It does have a Christian message at the end, but it's not his most inspired concept. For Spock's Beard I would recommend V.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by KaramKaram Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:45 pm

KaramKaram
KaramKaram
Deadpool
Deadpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyx74 Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:51 pm

Friday13th wrote:I own Snow on CD. Not my favorite, mainly because it's too long and has too many balladish songs. It does have a Christian message at the end, but it's not his most inspired concept. For Spock's Beard I would recommend V.

Snow would be a great album without the 2nd CD. V is a far better album (IMHO) I play The Great Nothing a lot! (C side on 2LP version)
Nyx74
Nyx74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:22 pm

I love the sound and really like this classic rock vibe.  However, $15 for 5 songs is crazy!  You go to $25 to get the three bonus songs that probably should have been on the main disc.  That's pretty steep.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:28 pm

Alldat, you have to remember these five songs clock in at a much longer running time than your average songs.  They are progressive, after all.  With the extra 45 minutes from the bonus disc, it's even longer!!   Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:05 pm

Neal Morse Code wrote:Alldat, you have to remember these five songs clock in at a much longer running time than your average songs.  They are progressive, after all.  With the extra 45 minutes from the bonus disc, it's even longer!!   Surprised

Progressive = long winded and overbearing in length. I get so bored with extremely long songs and forget which track I am even listening to.

If the new stuff is going to have tracks that length, I may as well just pass now and save myself the selling of the CD later.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2