The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Neal Morse Band - The Similitude of a Dream

+3
Andreas89
Mr. Nice Guy
KaramKaram
7 posters

Go down

The Neal Morse Band - The Similitude of a Dream  Empty The Neal Morse Band - The Similitude of a Dream

Post by KaramKaram Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:24 pm

The Neal Morse Band - The Similitude of a Dream  A072010e-c952-475b-955f-0d3386f1fcc7?w=800

The Neal Morse Band have released a lyric video of Long Day/Overture with Prog.
The tracks are taken from their upcoming concept album The Similitude Of A Dream, which is set to launch on November 11 via Metal Blade Records.
Speaking about the follow-up to 2014’s The Grand Experiment, Morse says: “The Similitude Of A Dream is loosely and sometimes directly based on the book Pilgrim’s Progress by John Bunyan which was originally published in 1678.
“The book chronicles the spiritual journey of a man from the City Of Destruction to a place of Deliverance. Someone had suggested to me that I do a concept album based on this book – but I forgot about it. Then when I began writing new songs last December, the suggestion came to my mind.
“I had never read the book, so I searched the story outline and began to write some little song bits and instrumentals based on what I had read. Those bits combined with the ideas that the other guys brought to the table then miraculously exploded into this double concept album.”
He continues: “Funny thing is, this album only really covers about the first 75 or 80 pages. Maybe we should've made a five disc collection! Well, we'll save that for later.”
Morse is joined in the lineup by bassist Randy George, keyboardist Bill Hubauer, guitarist Eric Gillette and drummer Mike Portnoy – who thinks the work is “the album of my career.”
Portnoy adds: “Neal and I have now made 18 studio albums together, and I consider The Similitude Of A Dream the absolute creative pinnacle of our collaborations together.
“I’ve always had a soft spot for double concept albums such as Pink Floyd's The Wall and The Who’s Tommy, and I can bravely say that I think we've created an album here that can sit side-by-side with those masterpieces.
“Bold words, I know, but after a career of almost 50 albums, I honestly consider this to be one of the defining works of my career.”
The Similitude Of A Dream will be available on 2CD, a special edition featuring both CDs along with The Making Of A Dream DVD, and on triple vinyl.
The Neal Morse Band will head out on tour in January across North America, before returning to Europe for a run of shows throughout March and April.

The Neal Morse Band The Similitude Of A Dream tracklist

Disc1

[list="box-sizing: border-box; margin-bottom: 10px;"]
[*]Long Day
[*]Overture
[*]The Dream
[*]City Of Destruction
[*]We Have Got To Go
[*]Makes No Sense
[*]Draw The Line
[*]The Slough
[*]Back To The City
[*]The Ways Of A Fool
[*]So Far Gone
[*]Breath Of Angels
[/list]
[size]

Disc2

[/size][list="box-sizing: border-box; margin-bottom: 10px;"]
[*]Slave To Your Mind
[*]Shortcut to Salvation
[*]The Man In The Iron Cage
[*]The Road Called Home
[*]Sloth
[*]Freedom Song
[*]I'm Running
[*]The Mask
[*]Confrontation
[*]The Battle
[*]Broken Sky / Long Day (Reprise)
[/list]

The Neal Morse Band 2017 tour dates

Jan 15: Nashville TBA, TN
Jan 17: Seattle Triple Door, WA
Jan 18: San Francisco Regency Ballroom, CA
Jan 21: Whittier Center Theater, CA
Jan 22: Phoenix Nesbitt-Elliott Playhouse Theater, AZ
Jan 24: Denver Oriental Theater, CO
Jan 25: Dallas Curtain Club, TX
Jan 27: St Charles Arcada Theater, IL
Jan 28: Cleveland, OH – Beachland Ballroom
Jan 29: Toronto Mod Room, ON
Jan 31: Montreal Club Soda, QC
Feb 01: Quebec City Salle Jean Paul Tardif, QC
Feb 02: New York Highline Ballroom, NY
Feb 03: Washington State Theater, DC
Feb 07-11: Cruise To the Edge, FL
Mar 22: Barcelona Apolo, Spain
Mar 23: Milan TBA, Italy
Mar 24: Pratteln Z7, Switzerland
Mar 25: Aschaffenburg Colo-Saal, Germany
Mar 26: Berlin Lido, Germany
Mar 28: Warsaw Progresja Music Zone, Poland
Mar 29: Hamburg Markthalle, Germany
Mar 30: Verviers Spirit of 66, Belgium
Mar 31: Cologne Stollwerck, Germany
Apr 01: Malmo KB, Sweden
Apr 02: Tilburg 013, Netherlands
Apr 04: Luxembourg Rockhal, Luxembourg
Apr 05: Paris Divan Du Monde, France
Apr 06: Birmingham O2 Academy 2, UK
Apr 07: Glasgow O2 ABC, UK
Apr 08: Manchester O2 Ritz, UK
Apr 09: London O2 Islington Academy, UK
Apr 12 Tel Aviv Havana Club, Israel
May 06: Gettysburg RosFest, PA

KaramKaram
KaramKaram
Deadpool
Deadpool

https://lotsofmuzik.com/

Back to top Go down

The Neal Morse Band - The Similitude of a Dream  Empty Re: The Neal Morse Band - The Similitude of a Dream

Post by KaramKaram Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:25 pm

Neal Morse is by far my favorite songwriter of all time
KaramKaram
KaramKaram
Deadpool
Deadpool

https://lotsofmuzik.com/

ChristianDeathMetal likes this post

Back to top Go down

The Neal Morse Band - The Similitude of a Dream  Empty Re: The Neal Morse Band - The Similitude of a Dream

Post by Mr. Nice Guy Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:16 am

I got this about a week ago and have listened it a few times now. Has anyone else got it yet? 

Portnoy: after a career of almost 50 albums, I honestly consider this to be one of the defining works of my career.”

I just keep wondering, is it really? Ok, mayby I have not given enough time for it yet, but it does`nt blow the hat off my head like The Grand Experiment did. But everyone has their taste. So what I`m trying to say here, is that becouse of the pre-info about the album was very exciting and promising, I get a little bit of disappointed of it. But it`s not a bad album at all. For me it`s just a regular, typical, safe, very nealmorselike album.
Mr. Nice Guy
Mr. Nice Guy
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:47 am

I really want this album, I'm sure I'll get it the next time I'm near a record store (I don't like buying albums online).
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by timekeeper Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:58 am

I have it - it's great, as is most of what Neal releases, in my opinion.  Really good musicianship here.
timekeeper
timekeeper
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor_Valconian Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:37 pm

If you've got 2 hours to spare, this is well worth a watch/listen.

Professor_Valconian
Professor_Valconian
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Location : In a meeting of the Society who puts things on top of other things

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor_Valconian Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:41 pm

Cool interview with Neal about the album ...

http://dougvanpelt.wixsite.com/heavens-metal-mag/single-post/2016/11/06/Neal-Morse-Relying-on-Gods-Guidance-and-Blessing

Excerpt regarding Mike Portnoy's opinion ...

(As reported on the Radiant Records site, Mike had stated:

OMG...I am BLOWN AWAY.. I am completely FLOORED...By the time I was rounding the album's grand finale, the goose bumps were so overwhelming I actually uncontrollably wept like a baby!!! (I swear.....) In my 30+ year career, I consider myself to have made 2 masterpiece concept albums: Dream Theater's Scenes from a Memory & Transatlantic's The Whirlwind...

Ladies & Gentlemen, In my opinion, we have ABSOLUTELY TOPPED them both! THIS is THE ALBUM of mine (& Neal's) careers...it's so monumentally EPIC and perfect in every way....)
Professor_Valconian
Professor_Valconian
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor_Valconian Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:46 pm

These guys have become my favorite band at the moment.

This is music.

Professor_Valconian
Professor_Valconian
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

ChristianDeathMetal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:31 am

It's a great album indeed. Quite different from The Grand Experiment (which my wife and I like a lot), but that isn't a bad thing I guess, since Neal always gets the criticism that he repeats himself.

By the way, I really like the song Shortcut to Salvation. It's so deliciously happy and wrong at the same time. The conclusion is spot on though (lyrically).
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by FreeRangeBeliever Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:24 am

Yes, this is indeed a great double album! I hadn't followed the last few years of Neal's music after Testimony 2...thought Momentum was his first average album....but when all the hype for Similitude of a Dream happened i decided to chek it out eventually - a few weeks ago.  Ended up loving all the videos of songs like Makes No Sense etc....and ordered the album...also been watching alot of clips from recent shows on Youtube and loving them too!
 As far as i'm concerned Mike Portnoy made the right choice to leave Dream Theater....especially as their last album The Astonishing is so boring for me....
And he's got his own new Petrucci like guitarist in Eric Gillette! Fantastic talent with great vocals too!
No suprise that this album won prog album of the year in some polls...
FreeRangeBeliever
FreeRangeBeliever
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:26 pm

Curious...does anyone know if Neal has had a change of heart on his view of God ? If anyone knows of any newer interviews talking about this subject please post a link.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:32 pm

sentient 6 wrote:Curious...does anyone know if Neal has had a change of heart on his view of God ? If anyone knows of any newer interviews talking about this subject please post a link.

He posted this on his timeline a few years ago. This was the last I saw on it. Been almost two years but he's held this view for a long time. 

Neal Morse
June 4, 2015 · 

No. I don't believe the Trinity is a correct biblical teaching. But I love all my Trinitarian friends! The Neal Morse Band - The Similitude of a Dream  1f642:-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:35 am

^My reaction on that post was "Neal pls".

To make things more complicated, I have to point out that such a statement can mean a lot of things. For instance, before my conformation, I was told that the Trinity could be somewhat limit our view of God, as in that He chose to reveal Himself in those three ways and who is to say that there are not more "persons" within God? But that's not biblical, strictly speaking.

And throughout his discography, Neal always referred to Jesus as "King" and "Lord". In CD booklets it's always thanks to "God and His Son". And songs of worship are frequently directed at Jesus. So I would challenge him on his facebook statement, but his music and lyrics are good.
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:02 pm

Andreas89 wrote:^My reaction on that post was "Neal pls".

To make things more complicated, I have to point out that such a statement can mean a lot of things. For instance, before my conformation, I was told that the Trinity could be somewhat limit our view of God, as in that He chose to reveal Himself in those three ways and who is to say that there are not more "persons" within God? But that's not biblical, strictly speaking.

And throughout his discography, Neal always referred to Jesus as "King" and "Lord". In CD booklets it's always thanks to "God and His Son". And songs of worship are frequently directed at Jesus. So I would challenge him on his facebook statement, but his music and lyrics are good.

As far as the idea of limiting God, all we can do is submit ourselves to what God has revealed about Himself in His Word. We can go into grave error when we go beyond what scripture teaches.

As far as Neal goes, I would love to ask him some follow up questions. One in particular that comes to mind is asking him if he believes that the Son had a point of origin - is the son the Creator or part of the creation?
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:04 pm

..because I do like his music, but  I am leery of how much of his theology comes out in his lyrics. He is very talented though.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:11 pm

sentient 6 wrote:..because I do like his music, but  I am leery of how much of his theology comes out in his lyrics. He is very talented though.

I've felt the same. I bought everything through Testimony 2 and then just felt more leery about picking up his material, personally not because any particular lyrics, and held off. When Similitude of a Dream came out I wanted it so bad. I LOVE The Pilgrim's Progress. It's my favorite book aside the Bible. Two weeks ago I caved and bought it and I've been reading the book with my son and then listening to corresponding tracks. I find it far and away the best thing I've ever heard from him. It's absolutely amazing! I may go back and get the albums I've missed.

Through all the years, despite my reservations I've never really noticed his theology playing into his lyrics. It seems to be a non-issue. For modern worship artists it bleeds through tremendously at times and I don't buy albums for those reasons sometimes. With metal, rock, hardcore, punk I notice that less. If it that was more prevalent I'd probably lose a couple hundred CDs. Who knows what many artists truly believe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor_Valconian Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:51 am

MK58 wrote:Through all the years, despite my reservations I've never really noticed his theology playing into his lyrics. It seems to be a non-issue. For modern worship artists it bleeds through tremendously at times and I don't buy albums for those reasons sometimes. With metal, rock, hardcore, punk I notice that less. If it that was more prevalent I'd probably lose a couple hundred CDs. Who knows what many artists truly believe.

This.
Professor_Valconian
Professor_Valconian
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down