The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbols in Christian music...

+11
CrimsonWarrior
Pethead
alldatndensum
Superjuice
Airola
Dustofyears
Son of Nun
MagnusPrime
eatbugs
BaleMaster
Soldier777
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Symbols in Christian music... - Page 2 Empty Re: Symbols in Christian music...

Post by Dustofyears Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:47 pm

TZ75 wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:
TZ75 wrote:You know the little fish symbols people have on their cars? I’m surprised that never has been used much (or at all) in Christian rock. 

I could see at least an alternative rock band using it on their cover artwork or incorporated in their logo.
It would make a good symbol for an alt band. It just kind of fits somehow to my mind.

only album that comes to mind that utilizes it is Mortification. Sure there'll be others. Also the dove etc

Exactly!

I was thinking of those alt bands from the mid 90’s like Wish for Eden or one of those Ska type groups. None of those bands had a dark image that would conflict with using the fish symbol. 

By the time Steve Rowe may have used it, he was already far removed from his serious metal imagery days. You know most of the later albums were funny cartoonish drawings.
Wish for eden's album cover and band sprung to mind immediately after reading your post.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:30 pm

TZ75 wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:
TZ75 wrote:You know the little fish symbols people have on their cars? I’m surprised that never has been used much (or at all) in Christian rock. 

I could see at least an alternative rock band using it on their cover artwork or incorporated in their logo.
It would make a good symbol for an alt band. It just kind of fits somehow to my mind.

only album that comes to mind that utilizes it is Mortification. Sure there'll be others. Also the dove etc

Exactly!

I was thinking of those alt bands from the mid 90’s like Wish for Eden or one of those Ska type groups. None of those bands had a dark image that would conflict with using the fish symbol. 

By the time Steve Rowe may have used it, he was already far removed from his serious metal imagery days. You know most of the later albums were funny cartoonish drawings.
That's exactly what sprung to mind when I read your post, the Wish for Eden cover and bands like that.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:49 pm

CrimsonWarrior wrote:
seth wrote:Why did you censor Jesus? (I’m assuming that’s what the word is supposed to be)

I think that signs like the one I referenced are an example of misusing his name and referring to him in a generally irreverent way. In my joke about it, I didn't want to do the same thing.

Up here in North Idaho, it's pretty popular for businesses to have explicitly Christian names and logos.  For example, yesterday I saw a sign for [in keeping with CW's censoring method] H*s Healing Hands massage service.  I'm sure it's usually with the best of intentions (though no doubt some are just milking it...] but I can't help but wonder how much of that pools over into being irreverent.  The 3rd Commandment would make a good thread topic in the Theology Realm... Smile

Tyrant
Tyrant

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:54 pm

I think it’s definitely irreverent at best for businesses to use the name of God or Jesus as an advertising method. One example of something similar to that I’ve seen is a personal injury lawyer who has billboards quoting the Beatitudes to advertise his law firm
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Kerrick, BaleMaster and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:15 pm

Kerrick wrote:
CrimsonWarrior wrote:
seth wrote:Why did you censor Jesus? (I’m assuming that’s what the word is supposed to be)

I think that signs like the one I referenced are an example of misusing his name and referring to him in a generally irreverent way. In my joke about it, I didn't want to do the same thing.

Up here in North Idaho, it's pretty popular for businesses to have explicitly Christian names and logos.  For example, yesterday I saw a sign for [in keeping with CW's censoring method] H*s Healing Hands massage service.  I'm sure it's usually with the best of intentions (though no doubt some are just milking it...] but I can't help but wonder how much of that pools over into being irreverent.  The 3rd Commandment would make a good thread topic in the Theology Realm... Smile
I think many secular people who use Christian symbolism irreverently don't realize they're being irreverent.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2