The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roger Martinez New Update

+9
Son of Nun
Pethead
seth
KaramKaram
Airola
BaleMaster
Dustofyears
TZ75
jaydeecrawson
13 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Roger Martinez New Update - Page 2 Empty Re: Roger Martinez New Update

Post by Son of Nun Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:31 pm

I would imagine that Roger was not a Christian at any time during which us guys in our 30s got into VR. He probably apostatized when I was like 7. So we knew that going in.
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:32 pm

^same.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:46 pm

I will admit I avoided VR for a long time for that reason, I felt kind of weird listening to Christian music sung by a guy who’s now a militant atheist. My perspective on that has changed somewhat, if music glorifies God it glorifies God, and He can use it for good, even if the artist renounced the faith later. I still don’t like VR musically, but then again I feel the same about most non-melodic thrash
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:44 pm

K seems I am older than you guyz or got into these bands much earlier in the game. I was there at the time the album came out so that has a different spin and impact than if you were not I guess. It helps to understand the actual impact if one was actually there rather than understanding it from afar, if you get my meaning.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime and Raegoul like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:17 pm

I’m Dustofyears wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:Don't think it has anything to do with blessings. Glen Benton doesn't need God's Blessings and he's doing just fine. It's got more to do with his health, age and the fact, as you say TZ75, he' been outta the game for too long. Use it or lose it is more the case.

There's no way those two are making any album together lolz they be fooling themselves. However, Roger, from what I am gathering, is going to re-record new lyrics and vocals, So I am guessing, over the already recorded Human sacrifice album. That's what I gleaned from the interview anyway. Personally I don't think either thing is going to happen, it's just Roger being Roger. I hope he gets better. I really respect Steve Rowe for how he handled his walk, and still does, with cancer. He's a real warrior that guy.

Once you knew the lord and walk away… it’s a very terrible thing. That’s the difference between Roger and Glen Benton. 

It’s a miracle Gary Lenaire softened his heart.
Guess it depends who you ask. Far as I'm concerned Roger freed himself from the grips of religion... Fact remains it probably won't happen because of Roger's Health and the stretch of time not doing it. Heck he even got exhausted by doing the interview like he said at the end "it's no fun" as I imagine cancer wouldn't be...so how's he gonna be doing extreme vocals to undo all the Christian work... Time'll tell but I can't see it happening

On top of that who is his fanbase now that would make such a project worth doing for the time and money etc... he's lost his core base, that being christians. In the world he is nobody. SO there's that too.

What you said is also true (about his obvious health challenges), but I stand behind my original statement. 

He has no Christian fanbase anymore. Only a small batch of prankster types will laugh at the lyrical change. And also like you pointed out, he has no energy to perform vocals that would compete with his younger days. 

I think that’s why he always has a slight smirk on his face when he announces these projects.

Last edited by TZ75 on Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:37 pm; edited 4 times in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:27 pm

Let’s be honest… Roger’s real talent was his charisma. He was a good frontman, but he’s not a true musician. 

If he cared about metal music, he would have put something totally new and fresh together. But all he dwells on is his past and undoing his former message. 

He could have done something totally separate from VR! 

The truth is, the guy is a hack that rode the coattails of real musicians like Larry Farkas. Even on Destruction Comes, my favorite part of the album was Chris Hyde’s drumming. Although the vocals were intriguing and unique!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:47 pm

Well I don't know about a hack. He did a great job vocally to me anyway and he could play guitar and write catchy lyrics and rhyme schemes and phrases. No I would not call him a hack at all. I think Christians are mad coz he left the flock so let's hurl rocks at Roger...I mean if he stayed a Christian there's no way anyone would call him a hack. No, but Roger is a talker,  and I have met people just like him, they can be very charming and are usually fast talkers never lost for words, and if they are, they'll make some up. They are generally good manipulators too, no matter how absurd of crazy they appear... I am always weary of someone that talks fast and says a lot...a sure sign! Most times anyway.

...by the way...My name is Jester

Sneaky Roger Smile
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:59 am

Dustofyears wrote:Well I don't know about a hack. He did a great job vocally to me anyway and he could play guitar and write catchy lyrics and rhyme schemes and phrases. No I would not call him a hack at all. I think Christians are mad coz he left the flock so let's hurl rocks at Roger...I mean if he stayed a Christian there's no way anyone would call him a hack. No, but Roger is a talker,  and I have met people just like him, they can be very charming and are usually fast talkers never lost for words, and if they are, they'll make some up. They are generally good manipulators too, no matter how absurd of crazy they appear... I am always weary of someone that talks fast and says a lot...a sure sign! Most times anyway.

...by the way...My name is Jester

Sneaky Roger Smile

His main talent was his charisma. When I say “hack”, I’m mostly referring to his guitar abilities. I think Roger should have concentrated on his vocals instead of trying to play guitar. I guess he wanted to be seen as a DIY guy.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:22 am

Funny enough… Jimmy Brown is on the latest episode.

He seems to get along great with Simon. 

He also mentions Guy Ritter having a recording studio before he was in Tourniquet, and the band Martyr recorded their demo there (with Jimmy’s help). 

Jimmy also comments about here at the CMR, and how he was bashed constantly. 

From what I remember, Jimmy took off around the time the reissue of What A Joke was released. He was supposedly very upset with the cartoon happy meal artwork.

I was bummed when he left! He had just started to tell us his stories about his life. I remember him talking about when he met James Hetfield by chance because Hetfield’s sister was cutting his hair. And he got a copy of Kill ‘Em All that he gave away to a pal. 

It’s a shame he’s so upset.

TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:59 am

Why are so many in the Christian music world snowflakes?
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

TZ75, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:24 am

Deliverance usually gets almost universal praise here, from what I’ve seen.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Black Rider, TZ75, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:37 pm

He's complained before about fans. Want to be on the public eye, expect some criticism.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead, TZ75, MagnusPrime, scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:02 pm

Jimmy is a good Episode too.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:14 pm

I haven’t seen bashing of Jimmy on this forum, unless you count comments stating he seems to be leaving orthodox Christian belief. Now Ted Kirkpatrick on the other hand…if he had said something like that he’d probably be justified
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:31 pm

Jimmy seems like a cool cat. He's too good for religion anyway.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:45 pm

What is “good”?
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:53 pm

Seth, don't feed the troll.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead, TZ75 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:54 pm

Jimmy is. He's too good for religion, especially abrahamic religion, the worst and most destructive of them all, and all that comes with it. Many Christians are actually angry nasty people and can't even see it. It's kind of sad. Not all of them I'll add, I know a few Christians that ain't like that. But there's a whole bunch of them though. More hate for the world and things in it than anyone I know, more judgement than even God's own mighty Hammer of Justice!

That's what I mean by "Too good"
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:55 pm

Black Rider wrote:Seth, don't feed the troll.
Here's one here. this is the sort I am talking about. I know these kinds of Christians. What did Jesus call them again...

If heaven and the bible is real and God is true to his word, it'll come as shock who will pass through the pearly gates and those who thought they would and get turned away.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:04 pm

I'm not angry at you but it gets annoying with you; I'm an atheist who believes we're cosmic accidents but also, you're wrong. As for being the most destructive, have you seen what as atheist regimes have done in the last 100 years? But since you don't believe in anything, there's really no right and wrong so your judgement is based on nothing.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

TZ75, scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:07 pm

I'm not an atheist. Have a good day.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:09 pm

If there were no God, “good” would not exist. All that would matter would be that which facilitated propagation of the human species, and ensure survival of the fittest, and even that would not ultimately matter in the grand scheme of things. Even now, from purely human perspective, everyone has their own definition of “good,” which for many people are often very contradictory with one another. The most evil dictators throughout history most likely genuinely believed themselves to be good people, as did their supporters. “Religion” is, in essence, the perceived or actual set of definitions of what is “good” from an external, objective source (or deity). Without such an external reference, it cannot be objectively defined. Hence why “too good for religion” is an ironic statement.

And yes, it’s unfortunately true that many self-proclaimed Christians do not actually follow God’s definition of “good.” In fact, we all fail to some degree, some more than others. But to dismiss Christianity because of the behavior of self-proclaimed Christians who fail to follow Christ’s commands is like deciding you hate the Dallas Cowboys because a guy in a Cowboys hat flipped you off in traffic once (bad analogy I know, but you get the point)
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75, Dustofyears, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:11 pm

Dustofyears wrote:I'm not an atheist. Have a good day.
Yet you incessantly mock anyone who believes in God. Practically, you're an atheist.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

TZ75, scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:13 pm

Dustofyears wrote:
Black Rider wrote:Seth, don't feed the troll.
Here's one here. this is the sort I am talking about. I know these kinds of Christians. What did Jesus call them again...

If heaven and the bible is real and God is true to his word, it'll come as shock who will pass through the pearly gates and those who thought they would and get turned away.
You are correct on that. Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to Me, Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!”

I don’t think Black Rider calling you a troll qualifies him for this treatment though.
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75, Dustofyears, scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:15 pm

seth wrote:If there were no God, “good” would not exist. All that would matter would be that which facilitated propagation of the human species, and ensure survival of the fittest, and even that would not ultimately matter in the grand scheme of things. Even now, from purely human perspective, everyone has their own definition of “good,” which for many people are often very contradictory with one another. The most evil dictators throughout history most likely genuinely believed themselves to be good people, as did their supporters. “Religion” is, in essence, the perceived or actual set of definitions of what is “good” from an external, objective source (or deity). Without such an external reference, it cannot be objectively defined. Hence why “too good for religion” is an ironic statement.

And yes, it’s unfortunately true that many self-proclaimed Christians do not actually follow God’s definition of “good.” In fact, we all fail to some degree, some more than others. But to dismiss Christianity because of the behavior of self-proclaimed Christians who fail to follow Christ’s commands is like deciding you hate the Dallas Cowboys because a guy in a Cowboys hat flipped you off in traffic once (bad analogy I know, but you get the point)
That would be a good debate in the theology realm. What you have stated is the general idea and thoughts about Christianity. Yeah would make for a good debate if anyone was up for it in the theology department. Maybe some time. Most won't though, they'd rather run than talk. Almost like they fear something... I'll leave it at that. Have a good day Seth.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next