The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's a band that the vocals kill it for you?

+14
Son of Nun
TZ75
Andreas89
alldatndensum
Superjuice
Raegoul
WildWorld
StevenCressler
Constantine
scottmitchell74
Pethead
seth
CrimsonWarrior
Black Rider
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What's a band that the vocals kill it for you? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's a band that the vocals kill it for you?

Post by Black Rider Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:22 pm

You crazy.
I do agree as about Nonexistent and while Inhabit is a little better it's still not great.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead and TZ75 like this post

Back to top Go down

What's a band that the vocals kill it for you? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's a band that the vocals kill it for you?

Post by Pethead Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:42 pm

Inhabit is listenable, but kinda goofy.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:53 pm

I love female-fronted symphonic metal, but not when the vocalist sings in an operatic style. I can only take that in small doses (e.g. Believer’s Trilogy of Knowledge). That’s why, as good as early Nightwish can be musically, I prefer the two albums with Annette.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Opeth3232 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:13 pm

Bands like Cirith Ungol and Manilla Road come to mind
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Black Rider and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:31 pm

Pethead wrote:I love female-fronted symphonic metal, but not when the vocalist sings in an operatic style. I can only take that in small doses (e.g. Believer’s Trilogy of Knowledge). That’s why, as good as early Nightwish can be musically, I prefer the two albums with Annette.
I’m the opposite, I tend to vastly prefer female-voiced metal when they use operatic vocals
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Opeth3232 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:35 pm

Andreas89 wrote:Bands like Cirith Ungol and Manilla Road come to mind
Cirith is awful vocally, I can handle MR in small doses.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:58 pm

I can’t get past the Agent Steel or Temple of Blood style vocals. I really don’t like that quirky operatic style. I do love Flotsam and Forbidden (but I don’t consider them quirky). 

With that said, the music is good! I’m hoping ToB’s next album has improved (more aggressive singing). If he went in a Flotsam/Eric AK direction, it would be great!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:19 pm

Les Carlson ruined the Tourniquet live series EP. 

I appreciate a raspy voice like Steve Perry, but Les has a very strange intonation to his voice.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:22 pm

Dave Mustaine is my exception to weird vocals. His voice works very well with his music.

*Correction*

I also like Blitz from Overkill and Zetro from Exodus (most of the time).

Last edited by TZ75 on Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:29 pm

I have other reasons for disliking much of modern thrash, but the vocals on the first couple of Bonded by Blood albums are grating.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:35 pm

Pethead wrote:I have other reasons for disliking much of modern thrash, but the vocals on the first couple of Bonded by Blood albums are grating.

Good example!

It’s similar to that Agent Steel style I dislike.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by scottmitchell74 Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:08 pm

Oh, yeah!

Divinefire - his vocals are so antiseptic and lack any punch.
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:04 pm

I feel that way about most of his projects, his voice doesn't do it for me.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:09 pm

I never could get into Narnia because of his vocals. But then I thought he sounded great on Flames of Fire last year, so I snagged Ghost Town this year and love it. He seems to use a bit more grit on those.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:17 pm

I love Christian Liljegren’s voice, it reminds me of Dio, but imo he uses it best on Golden Resurrection and Audiovision, moreso than Narnia and Divinefire
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:29 pm

I do agree he's better with Audio vision.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

seth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by scottmitchell74 Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:11 pm

Pethead wrote:I never could get into Narnia because of his vocals. But then I thought he sounded great on Flames of Fire last year, so I snagged Ghost Town this year and love it. He seems to use a bit more grit on those.

I actually meant Narnia when I wrote Divinefire!😄

Whatever he's on: impotent.

I want SO BADLY to love Narnia.
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:28 pm

Best Narnia is the one he isn't on. 😆
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Staybrite and scottmitchell74 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:10 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Pethead wrote:I never could get into Narnia because of his vocals. But then I thought he sounded great on Flames of Fire last year, so I snagged Ghost Town this year and love it. He seems to use a bit more grit on those.

I  actually meant Narnia when I wrote Divinefire!😄

Whatever he's on: impotent.

I want SO BADLY to love Narnia.

Long Live the King is an awesome album and I love the vocals...which is saying something since my answer to the original question is almost all Power Metal vocalists Laughing
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:09 am

The lead singer of Eternal Ryte is a little irritating but at times is good as he has bit of a range. The musicianship seems really tight and has an 80s Dokken vibe. Bought the Roxx reissue CD and vinyl last year. They are one of the better bands on Pure Metal. Too bad they didn't release a couple of more albums besides the demos.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:28 pm

Anything with Dale Thompson after 2000
Vengeance Rising
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and Staybrite like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:45 pm

Pethead wrote:Guardian: First Watch—this doesn’t quite ruin the album since the vocals are on key, but I’ve always found Paul’s vocals too weak for the music, especially compared to Jamie.
He sounds a lot like Ted Pilot, the lead singer of Fifth Angel fame.  In fact, "Marching On" sounds just like a Fifth Angel song.  I dig Fifth Angel, so this is just par for the course for me.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:12 pm

Myself
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Superjuice likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:46 pm

Acapella
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Opeth3232 Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:49 pm

Crematory comes to mind with shoddy singing and lyrics but then they will release an album that's spot on then release some trash to ruin what they put out the year before. Temple Of Blood I love the singers vocals and the high end sorta screams he can do! C.O.F depends on Dani Filths mood with what the album is gonna sound like vocally but Midian is amazing. Love Ultimatum vocally but can't stand Philadelphias vocalist. I got my dads seek and destroy lp loved seek and destroy then it went to the rest of it and that singer has no business singing lol just in my opinion though. The singer for Malachia although today he is so much better with his new band. I can't believe someone actually brought up Blind Guardians singer wow. I will say I love his vocal style on Valhalla but do agree that his style you either love it or hate like Tommy Johansson. Do one for underrated singers! My first vote would Ken Hensley and Death Angels lead singer
Opeth3232
Opeth3232
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Temple of Blood likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2