The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bands with good lyrics and theology recommendations

5 posters

Go down

Bands with good lyrics and theology recommendations Empty Bands with good lyrics and theology recommendations

Post by KevinHB7p Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:51 am

Hi! 
I was lurking this forum for quite a time but never made an account. 
I'm here to ask some recommendations. 
I would like to know more bands that have biblical and deep lyrics like Theocracy, Neal Morse, HB or Narnia. I don't think that non christian music is bad or that every music that a christian makes must be about christianity, but I mostly try to hear music with christian lyrics (even if listen instrumental music 80% of the time), and I really like when the band is upfront, sincere and the lyrics deep or poetic (not the same as cryptic or hiding) and biblical. Something like the lyrics from Theocracy shows a strong theological ground making beautiful nets of poetic theology. HB is not so poetic but excel on being direct and showing real compromise with God. Narnia and Neal Morse are more close to the style of Theocracy, even if they're not the same. But I like that you could make an exposition, bible study or sermon from this lyrics (they were really formative in my first years as christian). 
My musical taste is broad (I'm actually studying composition in a classical conservatory). Anything from progressive, symphonic and power is what I listen most. But I also like industrial and metalcore (I didn't find christian bands that sticked with me in this genre). Also classical music, tango, DnB and one of my absolute favorites are game OSTs. 
Reference bands could be the ones named and: Leah, Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy music composer), Fireflight, Scandinavian metal praise, Sinbreed, Beyond the bridge, Emerson lake and palmer, Eowyn, Krystal meyers (mostly the two initial albums, then she made pop and dance music), The Letter Black. 
I'm actually very nerdy with the Bible and like to read about everything. I'm quite impressed and I was impacted, encouraged and corrected in various moments of my life by the lyrics of Theocracy, HB and Narnia (I'm actually starting to listen Neal Morse now), and I wonder if there are some other bands with that level of lyrics. I also like Leah, even if her lyrics are not always of christianity, the ones that are are amazing. 
I hope that one day I could make a band with good theology and lyrics and also excellent music (that's why I study music and theology), and listening and analyzing is an important part of learning. 
Sorry if I wrote something wrong, because English is not my first language (I'm from Argentina). And sorry that the post is long, but I like to be clear and I think that's appropriate to present myself on my first post here.
I thank you all in advance for your answers and God bless you all!

KevinHB7p
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Ammocas and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Bands with good lyrics and theology recommendations Empty Re: Bands with good lyrics and theology recommendations

Post by KevinHB7p Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:11 am

Also, bands that are upfront christians and touch different topics are also welcomed (like Fireflight or Eowyn for example). Omitting that type of band where the members don't recognize they're christians in public, or the lyrics are just "safe or positive" or ambiguous, but lacks really christian content or insight.
Thanks!

KevinHB7p
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Bands with good lyrics and theology recommendations Empty Re: Bands with good lyrics and theology recommendations

Post by Pethead Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:49 am

There are a lot, but one that would probably be right up your alley is Reflection of Glory. Excellent, Gospel-driven, theological lyrics and the style is symphonic metal. Check out their album from 2021, Escape the Dream

Here’s a sample: 

Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Kerrick, Sevenoneself, seth and KevinHB7p like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:11 am

Pethead wrote:There are a lot, but one that would probably be right up your alley is Reflection of Glory. Excellent, Gospel-driven, theological lyrics and the style is symphonic metal. Check out their album from 2021, Escape the Dream

Here’s a sample: 

Love their song “The Hound of Heaven,” and it has very profound lyrics
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Sevenoneself and KevinHB7p like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:15 am

Affector has lyrics mostly taken straight from the Bible, although a quote from their website implies they might not actually believe what they are singing about
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Sevenoneself and KevinHB7p like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:46 am

Seventh Servant’s The Tree of Life is all lyrics directly from Revelation 1–3.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

mothy, Ammocas, Sevenoneself and KevinHB7p like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:07 am

I would caution you about Neal Morse. His lyrics might be fine, but he is a heretic who denies the Trinity.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider, Kerrick, CrimsonWarrior and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:53 am

Some good recommendations!  I'd add:

Aletheian - technical death metal
The Arbiter - doom/death metal
The Autumn League - melodic death metal
Demoniciduth - black metal (I was quite surprised by the Gospel-centric lyrics with a name like this)
Irgalom - black/death metal
Preterist - progressive power metal

Tyrant
Tyrant

CrimsonWarrior, Pethead, Sevenoneself and KevinHB7p like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinHB7p Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:11 pm

Thanks! I'll check all of your suggestions.

KevinHB7p
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Kerrick and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:14 pm

Enjoy!  I suspect Preterist will be your favorite, based off of what you wrote above.  The Autumn League is very melodic though and uses clean vocals too.  Irgalom and The Arbiter are both by the same guy and the lyrics are mostly directly from Scripture.

Tyrant
Tyrant

KevinHB7p likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:15 pm

Kudos to Kerrick for listing bands we can pronounce!
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Kerrick, CrimsonWarrior, MagnusPrime and KevinHB7p like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jusma Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:43 pm

Divinefire and Mehida
jusma
jusma
Finnish Metal Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down