The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are there any Christian bands/songs you avoid because of lyrics?

+18
Opeth3232
BaleMaster
Theonymic
Friday13th
crucifyd
Temple of Blood
CrimsonWarrior
TZ75
Maddierecords1
Dustofyears
nocturnaliridescence
Follower of Jesus
Pethead
Frozen Fire
Fundy
StevenCressler
eatbugs
seth
22 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Are there any Christian bands/songs you avoid because of lyrics? Empty Are there any Christian bands/songs you avoid because of lyrics?

Post by seth Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:31 pm

I’m sure most of us avoid plenty of secular metal because of lyrics, but are there any Christian bands or songs you avoid for this reason (because of bad theology or any other objectionable reason)? The only ones I can think of that I avoid are some of Theandric’s songs that promote the Catholic view of Mary, Saviour Machine’s Legion (which has some weird sexual imagery), and one Virgin Black song with some horrible imagery that seems blasphemous to me, no matter how it was intended to come across (if you’re familiar with that band and their music I’m sure you know what I’m talking about)
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Are there any Christian bands/songs you avoid because of lyrics? Empty Re: Are there any Christian bands/songs you avoid because of lyrics?

Post by eatbugs Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:35 pm

Anything with swearing is a skip for me.  Stryper's GDE song is also a skip track.  Music affects me so powerfully that I don't want anything that makes me want to swear stuck in my head (including the non-swearing GDE).

I can usually listen past theology I disagree with easily enough, although I don't generally listen to Bride's Incorruptible album because of the theology.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Opeth3232 and scottmitchell74 like this post

Back to top Go down

Are there any Christian bands/songs you avoid because of lyrics? Empty Re: Are there any Christian bands/songs you avoid because of lyrics?

Post by StevenCressler Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:31 pm

eatbugs wrote:Anything with swearing is a skip for me.  Stryper's GDE song is also a skip track.  Music affects me so powerfully that I don't want anything that makes me want to swear stuck in my head (including the non-swearing GDE).

I can usually listen past theology I disagree with easily enough, although I don't generally listen to Bride's Incorruptible album because of the theology.
I don't personally have a problem with God Damn Evil because the word is being used correctly, but I can understand what you're saying
What theology in Incorruptible concerns you?
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:31 pm

seth wrote:I’m sure most of us avoid plenty of secular metal because of lyrics, but are there any Christian bands or songs you avoid for this reason (because of bad theology or any other objectionable reason)? The only ones I can think of that I avoid are some of Theandric’s songs that promote the Catholic view of Mary, Saviour Machine’s Legion (which has some weird sexual imagery), and one Virgin Black song with some horrible imagery that seems blasphemous to me, no matter how it was intended to come across (if you’re familiar with that band and their music I’m sure you know what I’m talking about)
Which song is it?
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Fundy Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:06 am

I don't have a problem with GDE, and actually think it is a really great song, and the whole album is really underrated.  My only trouble with it, is you know that it was written to just be controversial and to try and emulate To Hell With The Devil.  Because you can use those GDE words in two different ways, I'm happy to sing them (in my head) in the way that is positive.

However, one song I can't listen to is MFM from Even The Devil Believes.  Those lyrics bother me quite a bit.  Again though, I realise it was done to provoke, and to get people to notice it.  I just stop the album before that song.
Fundy
Fundy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:36 am

I don't listen to Tourniquet "White-Knuckling the Rosary" because the chorus gets stuck in my head. I know it is spoken in character but it is a terrible thing to sing along with and then keep repeating in my mind.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:52 am

seth wrote:I’m sure most of us avoid plenty of secular metal because of lyrics, but are there any Christian bands or songs you avoid for this reason (because of bad theology or any other objectionable reason)? The only ones I can think of that I avoid are some of Theandric’s songs that promote the Catholic view of Mary, Saviour Machine’s Legion (which has some weird sexual imagery), and one Virgin Black song with some horrible imagery that seems blasphemous to me, no matter how it was intended to come across (if you’re familiar with that band and their music I’m sure you know what I’m talking about)
The Virgin Black song I think you’re talking about (“Museum of Iscariot”) troubled me enough that I wrote off the band.

Red Sea’s “Soulshaker” is too icky for me.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:55 am

I’d love to know the meaning of SM’s “Legion”, but I still listen to it. I think “Middle Finger Messiah” is stupid, and I don’t listen to it, but not because the lyrics are in any way offensive, more because it’s just stupid.

I honestly can’t think of any Christian metal music that I refuse to listen to because of the lyrics.

Last edited by Follower of Jesus on Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:57 am

The Saviour Machine song isn’t any more graphic than some of the OT prophets’ imagery.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Friday13th and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:44 am

Pethead wrote:
The Virgin Black song I think you’re talking about (“Museum of Iscariot”) troubled me enough that I wrote off the band.

Red Sea’s “Soulshaker” is too icky for me.
Yes that is the one
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:50 am

And yeah I get the impression Stryper’s “fake swears” that appear on several songs are just put there to grab your attention/be edgy tbh
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:08 am

Looked up the lyrics to Red Sea’s Soulshaker, is that even a Christian song at all? Because I certainly didn’t get that impression
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:13 am

It is theoretically, but it sounds like a typical hair metal “please the ladies” tune. It’s gross.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

seth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:35 am

Yeah that’s probably the worst example of a “God or girlfriend” song I’ve ever seen. And I find it hard to believe some of the lyrics weren’t deliberately meant to sound like sexual innuendos
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:37 am

Same. Especially since musically the song sounds like a Whitesnake song.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:47 am

Pethead wrote:The Saviour Machine song isn’t any more graphic than some of the OT prophets’ imagery.
Fair enough, but I wouldn’t really want to listen to a song based on that one chapter in Ezekiel either
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Friday13th, Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:05 am

I’m definitely with you on that Virgin Black song. It’s rare that I’ll write off a band on one song, but that one was so terrible.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

seth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:10 am

Yeah it’s by far the worst lyrics I’ve seen from a “Christian” band. I think I’ve seen them, or some fans maybe, try to explain the lyrics to not mean anything bad, but imo there’s no excuse for using THAT imagery. VB is kind of weird theology-wise too from what I’ve heard. It’s too bad, because they do make some beautiful music. I really like their song Our Wings are Burning
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:40 pm

Frozen Fire wrote:I don't listen to Tourniquet "White-Knuckling the Rosary" because the chorus gets stuck in my head. I know it is spoken in character but it is a terrible thing to sing along with and then keep repeating in my mind.
It's a great song but I can see where you're coming from
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnaliridescence Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:39 pm

The only "Christian" lyrics I avoid are stuff that basically claims to be Christian, but actually isn't. Lukewarm beliefs, serving two masters, extremely off-base theology like gnosticism or universalism, things like that.

Otherwise lyrics aren't that important to me. It's more the artist - their religion/spirituality, intent behind the music, things like that. For example, I can't listen to most bands that began Christian and then left later on. You can often hear the demonic negativity bleeding into their music. (If you've ever heard of Swine Suicide, their music - yes, even the early Christian stuff - is by far the most evil I have ever heard.) On the other hand, I can listen to extremely vulgar, violent, dark stuff as long as the extramusical intent of "serving Christ" / "living in accordance with God's teachings" is clearly there.
nocturnaliridescence
nocturnaliridescence
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Opeth3232, BaleMaster and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:55 pm

nocturnaliridescence wrote:The only "Christian" lyrics I avoid are stuff that basically claims to be Christian, but actually isn't. Lukewarm beliefs, serving two masters, extremely off-base theology like gnosticism or universalism, things like that.

Otherwise lyrics aren't that important to me. It's more the artist - their religion/spirituality, intent behind the music, things like that. For example, I can't listen to most bands that began Christian and then left later on. You can often hear the demonic negativity bleeding into their music. (If you've ever heard of Swine Suicide, their music - yes, even the early Christian stuff - is by far the most evil I have ever heard.) On the other hand, I can listen to extremely vulgar, violent, dark stuff as long as the extramusical intent of "serving Christ" / "living in accordance with God's teachings" is clearly there.
I can sort of understand that perspective, but if a song puts thoughts/images in my head that are not glorifying to God I will skip it, regardless of the artist’s intent. Prime example of this is the Virgin Black song I mentioned.
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:49 pm

Just listened to that Virgin Black song. I like me some doom and goth and sorrow in the wind kind of music but never mind the lyrics on this one how can anyone stand listening to that beta whiny voice!!! Makes me wanna gouge my eyes out so I can stare at the holes in my face.

"Middle Finger messiah" Lolz what else it's Stryper of course!!!
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Opeth3232 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddierecords1 Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:52 pm

I dont really listen to any violent, sexual, or negative(or depressing). lyrics. I like to listen to more positive based songs(gift beyond human reach, grace for succession, or blood red cover by extol for example)  

It can be hard as i really like antestor, but alot(not all) of their lyrics can be pretty depressing negative so i have to he choosy. Alot of other bands are the same, just have to be seleictive and listen to what i can. 

I also dont like comedy lyrics. I dont like to joke around with my faith.

Maddierecords1
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Opeth3232 and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:08 pm

I’m ok with songs that deal with dark subjects but offer a message of hope from God as well, the “light at the end of the tunnel” as it were
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Opeth3232, BaleMaster and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:44 am

“Pray for the Dead” by Trouble is based on the Catholic belief or doctrine that you can still save a soul that has already passed. 

Regardless of the lyrics, I still enjoy the song musically.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Opeth3232 and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next