The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eric Clayton's A THOUSAND SCARS album. If you have it, what did you think of it, and how many bought both versions?

+5
jaydeecrawson
Follower of Jesus
bodachi
eatbugs
ChosenNightwolf
9 posters

Go down

Eric Clayton's A THOUSAND SCARS album. If you have it, what did you think of it, and how many bought both versions? Empty Eric Clayton's A THOUSAND SCARS album. If you have it, what did you think of it, and how many bought both versions?

Post by ChosenNightwolf Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:36 pm

Just wanted to know if any of you here have Eric Clayton's solo album A THOUSAND SCARS. If you do, what did you think of it and did you buy both versions?
ChosenNightwolf
ChosenNightwolf
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.aflameinthedark.net

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Eric Clayton's A THOUSAND SCARS album. If you have it, what did you think of it, and how many bought both versions? Empty Re: Eric Clayton's A THOUSAND SCARS album. If you have it, what did you think of it, and how many bought both versions?

Post by eatbugs Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:03 pm

I have it.  I like it.  Overall it's more mellow than Savioiur Machine, but some of the songs are heavy and could be unreleased SM songs.  I only have the first release.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Eric Clayton's A THOUSAND SCARS album. If you have it, what did you think of it, and how many bought both versions? Empty Re: Eric Clayton's A THOUSAND SCARS album. If you have it, what did you think of it, and how many bought both versions?

Post by bodachi Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:50 pm

Wait, there's TWO versions? I can find no info online about this. Who has pictures?
bodachi
bodachi
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by ChosenNightwolf Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:43 am

Yes, there are two versions (the regular with Eric Clayton's picture on the cover of the album and CD with lyrics and credits included in the book) and a special Gallery edition on white vinyl and CD with 15 original paintings by Niall Parkinson on the gatefold jacket available at https://www.eric-clayton.com.
ChosenNightwolf
ChosenNightwolf
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.aflameinthedark.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:48 am

I couldn’t get through the whole album even once. It’s very long. What I’ve heard of it, I liked. I just don’t have that kind of attention span. And it’s not an album you can just put on in the background and enjoy. It demands your attention, and I rarely have that much time to just sit and listen to something.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

eatbugs, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jaydeecrawson Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:02 am

I pre-ordered two of them before it came out. My name is listed inside the album too.

I don't like it as much as the first two Saviour Machine albums but I really enjoy it otherwise.

But, there are really only two or three songs I pay attention to on it though.... the rest I kind of skip over

But, yeah... I like it.... it's definitely not SM 1 and 2 though.

jaydeecrawson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by GACatmandu Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:18 am

I have both editions, I love the album it's great. I will always support Eric and his offerings be it Saviour Machine, Eric Clayton And The 9, or just him solo. By the way, there aren't actually two versions of the album Per se there's the original edition and an art edition with a different cover and different art but the music is the same on both and to get the art edition you had to get the LP but it came with a CD with different art on the CD you couldn't buy the LP and CD separately with the art edition.

You can still order the ART Edition here:

https://www.eric-clayton.com/shop/

GACatmandu
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:30 pm

Below is the review I wrote for this album back in September 2022.
I may have known that there were 2 versions but since I'm not a collector I would not have paid much attention:

Wow - Didn't Expect This To Be This Good... (9/3/2022)

I did not even know this album was out.  I had lost track of Saviour Machine after they disbanded, and thought Eric had left the music business for good.   But apparently that has all changed.  

I really liked Saviour Machine's 1st album. I had first discovered them on the CD compilation called "Hot Metal V - Screaming Truth."  They had a very unique sound  and style, and there was nothing else out there quite like them.  However, I admit to finding most of the rest of their albums too lengthy and ponderous.  So I eventually lost interest.

But this solo stuff is mesmerizing.   Gone are the bombastic, apocalyptic soundscapes based on the Book Of Revelations, this material is way more down to earth, personal and passionate.  Very autobiographical, based primarily on Eric's struggles and finding redemption and a new lease on life.  

Musically this is "Saviour Machine lite," and rather than that being a bad thing, I much prefer it.  The influences are similar but the arrangements are less pompous and more subtle and dynamic.   This material is not quite metal although some of it comes close.  It is more along the lines of melancholy gothic rock, like a cross between Queensryche, Pink Floyd, and Leonard Cohen.   Some songs are just Eric and piano.  Other songs are layered with Middle Eastern instrumentation and echo-y guitar lines that snake in and out.  But throughout, Eric's distinctive, resonant voice is the main draw here.  And it is in top form.  

Would like to get a CD, but they would have to be repressed first, as the initial run sold out quickly.  Hopefully the band will make more some day, as well as release more music.  Until then, there is plenty to appreciate here, and it looks like I need to amend my "Top 10 Of 2020" album list because this belongs on it for sure.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:51 pm

I have the download. It's pretty good. But I have to be in the right mood for it.
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Constantine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Opeth3232 Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:03 am

There are certain songs on that album I really needed to hear. Really appreciate that album
Opeth3232
Opeth3232
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down