The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Songs you skip because of lyrics on albums you like?

+9
Kerrick
Follower of Jesus
TheDoctor394
scottmitchell74
WildWorld
MagnusPrime
Constantine
Black Rider
Pethead
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Songs you skip because of lyrics on albums you like? - Page 2 Empty Re: Songs you skip because of lyrics on albums you like?

Post by Follower of Jesus Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:21 pm

Shake Me - Cinderella
Cherry Pie, Love In Stereo - Warrant
Seventeen - Winger
Pour Some Sugar On Me - Def Leppard
Lover’s Lane - Firehouse
The God That Failed - Metallica
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Pethead, scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Songs you skip because of lyrics on albums you like? - Page 2 Empty Re: Songs you skip because of lyrics on albums you like?

Post by Kerrick Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:35 pm

TheDoctor394 wrote:If I avoid any music because of lyrics, it tends to be a whole album....I like to listen to a whole album, or not listen to it at all.

I'm generally the same way.  When listening to an album, I never hit the skip button (except for the couple of songs that have long unnecessary silent parts at the end which is very annoying...), though when I have my library on shuffle, I almost ALWAYS skip Sonata Arctica's song Sh*tload Of Money - which is musically as inane as the song title/lyrics.  It's also on my least-favorite SA album anyways, so it very, very rarely gets played.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Black Rider and TheDoctor394 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDoctor394 Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:57 pm

Kerrick wrote:
TheDoctor394 wrote:If I avoid any music because of lyrics, it tends to be a whole album....I like to listen to a whole album, or not listen to it at all.

I'm generally the same way.  When listening to an album, I never hit the skip button (except for the couple of songs that have long unnecessary silent parts at the end which is very annoying...), though when I have my library on shuffle, I almost ALWAYS skip Sonata Arctica's song Sh*tload Of Money - which is musically as inane as the song title/lyrics.  It's also on my least-favorite SA album anyways, so it very, very rarely gets played.
I'm a huge power metal fan, and like some of Sonata Arctica, but they're not one of my favourites, and that song is pretty dumb.  And I never have that much money anyway, so why would I want to be reminded of it?   Razz
TheDoctor394
TheDoctor394
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:43 pm

The only Black Sabbath song I avoid is Breaking Into Heaven from The Devil You Know (note to nitpickers, I know it was released by Heaven and Hell, but I classify it as a BS album, it's even listed with the other BS songs on my computer and phone). Thankfully it's on the end of the album.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianDeathMetal Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:33 pm

The Megadeth songs other mentioned.  A couple of ACDC songs and a some Iron Maiden songs.  I only listen to the early Testament albums and really only one or two Pantera albums.  The others seem to have lyrics I didn't care for...  And then I completely skip bands that have any satanism, torture/extreme gore or the like...
ChristianDeathMetal
ChristianDeathMetal
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

https://www.facebook.com/christiandeathmetallittlelist

Black Rider, Pethead and scottmitchell74 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:57 pm

A couple more:

The God That Failed on The Black Album. (I realize this song is about James’ mother’s death due to her whacky Christian Science nonsense, but I still don’t care for the lyrics).

Son of the Morning on The Dream Calls for Blood (Death Angel)
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:27 pm

Pethead wrote:

The God That Failed on The Black Album. (I realize this song is about James’ mother’s death due to her whacky Christian Science nonsense, but I still don’t care for the lyrics).
Yeah, I sympathize with James and understand why he wrote the song, but he's blaming the wrong thing. God didn't fail, his mom just expected him to do things he doesn't usually do.
On the other hand, before I read the lyrics I always assumed Leper Messiah would be like that, as the title is very blasphemous sounding... but then I found out what it's about, and I have a song with the exact same theme lol.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:48 pm

"Can't Catch Me" on the Heaven's Edge debut (well, technically it's their only album), where they unnecessarily drop an f-bomb, so I deleted it, but it's too bad since it's a great song otherwise.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:07 pm

Pethead wrote:
Black Rider wrote:VH with Sammy is weird, he wasn't bad solo but suddenly he joins VH and is Bon Scott.
Except Sammy thinks he’s clever. And he is not.
A few years ago I watched a new live version of "Finish What You Started." And he makes it loud and clear in the bridge what the song is really about by changing the lyrics a little bit.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:15 am

MagnusPrime wrote:Lyrics have never really bothered me. Especially in bands that tend to sing fast (lookin' at you, Slayer) or have death/growling vocal styles where you can't understand a lot anyway. 

On a semi-related note, how many here fast-forward past profanity and/or nudity in a film? Not trying to call anyone out, but I've actually met people in the past who won't listen to certain bands because of content but will watch movies with content that is as bad or worse than the albums or songs they avoid. I've encountered the inverse of this phenomenon as well.

I agree. Good point!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by scottmitchell74 Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:03 am

TZ75 wrote:
MagnusPrime wrote:Lyrics have never really bothered me. Especially in bands that tend to sing fast (lookin' at you, Slayer) or have death/growling vocal styles where you can't understand a lot anyway. 

On a semi-related note, how many here fast-forward past profanity and/or nudity in a film? Not trying to call anyone out, but I've actually met people in the past who won't listen to certain bands because of content but will watch movies with content that is as bad or worse than the albums or songs they avoid. I've encountered the inverse of this phenomenon as well.

I agree. Good point!

I don't skip profanity, but as I've aged/matured I avoid or skip the naked stuff.

That said; we don't watch movies over and over and over (mostly) like we do songs. Songs get stuck in our heads. That's a huge reason music gets this treatment.
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Black Rider, Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:18 am

I tend to avoid films with sex/nudity. I don’t need those images in my head.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Black Rider and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:49 am

A few more that come to mind:

Judas Priest - Touch of Evil, Jawbreaker, Necromancer

Motley Crue - Girls, Girls, Girls (unbelievable riff, but the lyrics…)

Ratt - Give It All
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2