The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stryper "The Final Battle" thoughts

+15
Temple of Blood
Fundy
Friday13th
cailen
alldatndensum
Follower of Jesus
oldschooldoom
My Awesome Timothy
heck
xMetalMarkx
Black Rider
Tourniguy
Raegoul
Pethead
Frozen Fire
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Stryper "The Final Battle" thoughts Empty Stryper "The Final Battle" thoughts

Post by Frozen Fire Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:56 pm

Excited to see this showed up in the mail four days early today. I thought it be nice to have a place to collect our thoughts as we picked it up and absorbed the album.

Listening through it just twice, here are a few of my own initial thoughts:

Those complaining about a stagnant sound won't be complaining when they hear the whole album. There are a lot of different sounds going on here. Michael tried a lot more with his vocal delivery and rhythms between verses and choruses. I wasn't as sure the first time through but everything made more sense on the second trip.

This tops Fallen and GDE for what I consider their best sounding albums. The production is monstrous and Perry's thunderous bass work adds even more to their sound than on Even The Devil Believes.

There are two modern "love songs" and both are solid tracks. I wouldn't say "Till Death Do Us Part" is a ballad but it is a great song, the better of the two.

The album is diverse in pace across the whole scope and very well balanced. I'd say the fastest tracks have been released but closer Ashes to Ashes has a nasty, chunky riff that makes it a pretty sweet anthem to end on. Definitely one of my favorite tracks from the band, instantly likable.

Not predicting where this goes in the list of their best but there's no doubt this is a solid release again to my ears.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Fundy, Ammocas, BaleMaster, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Stryper "The Final Battle" thoughts Empty Re: Stryper "The Final Battle" thoughts

Post by Frozen Fire Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:21 pm

Not going to post much more on this if others aren't getting theirs yet beyond saying I'm glad this is a grower. All the interesting differences, especially in Michael's vocal melodies and rhythms, added twists that I wasn't sure I liked the first time through. I often enjoy albums more if they aren't automatic on first listen. I've been through this 4 times now and, as this has been getting better with each listen, I'm further encouraged.

Interested in hear what everyone else thinks. I bet some will be disappointed. I'm not disappointed in the least.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Fundy, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Stryper "The Final Battle" thoughts Empty Re: Stryper "The Final Battle" thoughts

Post by Pethead Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:32 am

This album is GREAT. Amazing choruses, great riffs, and a good amount of variety while still sounding like Stryper.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Friday13th, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:15 pm

After a first spin I will say it‘s a solid release. Nothing to really complain about. My favourites are the faster cuts Transgressor, Rise To The Call and Ashes To Ashes which are great. Got to give the other cuts another spin tho.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tourniguy Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:58 pm

I am addicted to the song Near.

Tourniguy
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:09 pm

Tourniguy wrote:I am addicted to the song Near.
Catchy indeed. There are a few of those addictive hooks tho. Dudes know how to write a song…
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:46 pm

Ending the album with a stomper like Ashes to Ashes is a bold move and I like the groove on No Rest for the Wicked. Funny, the single, Same Old Story is the weakest song to me. Now, we'll have to see if it matches NMHTP as my favorite from the newer era.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Fundy, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:13 pm

I found it more immediately likable than any since NMHtP, even though I’ve liked all of them.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Black Rider, Opeth3232 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by xMetalMarkx Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:12 pm

Very strong album, IMHO.  I like it a lot.  Plenty of money notes from Michael, and a well-rounded collection of songs.
xMetalMarkx
xMetalMarkx
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Black Rider, Friday13th, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by heck Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:57 pm

The song that is really connecting with me is Heart & Soul, both lyrically and musically.  Loving the half-time chorus and the song has the coolest sounding solo I’ve heard from Stryper in years.  Instead of going into high notes right away it begins with a middle strings bluesy riff, I absolutely love it.   They nail the time changes in and out of the chorus, it’s just great.

heck
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Black Rider, My Awesome Timothy, Frozen Fire, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by My Awesome Timothy Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:12 am

It’s a great album have only listened to it a couple of times and think it will grow on me with every listen. Stryper have released so many great albums in the last few years I am not sure where this album ranks yet, probably on par with ETDB if not slightly better but will see after a few more spins.
My Awesome Timothy
My Awesome Timothy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:32 am

Just gave a first spin. “They'rrre Great!” On par or exceeding their previous release is what keeps Stryper at the top.
The band comes up for air on track 5 Near. Reminds me of days of yore when Stryper wasn't so metal. LOL, not a single scream was heard on this song.
BUT....the rest of the album is a scream fest almost to the point of distraction. Michael has very, very strong pipes for a man of 59 years. Dare I say the strongest voice in rock and metal, 5 decades running. Just for grins, I counted the screams: 31 divided by 11 equals 2.82 screams per song. LOL, Ozzy had an album entitled SCREAM that did not contain as many screams.
Now I'm jumping back in for a second spin to enjoy the lyrics and music without being concerned about the scream-0-meter.
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Raegoul and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:51 am

oldschooldoom wrote:Just gave a first spin. “They'rrre Great!” On par or exceeding their previous release is what keeps Stryper at the top.
The band comes up for air on track 5 Near. Reminds me of days of yore when Stryper wasn't so metal. LOL, not a single scream was heard on this song.
BUT....the rest of the album is a scream fest almost to the point of distraction. Michael has very, very strong pipes for a man of 59 years. Dare I say the strongest voice in rock and metal, 5 decades running. Just for grins, I counted the screams: 31 divided by 11 equals 2.82 screams per song. LOL, Ozzy had an album entitled SCREAM that did not contain as many screams.
Now I'm jumping back in for a second spin to enjoy the lyrics and music without being concerned about the scream-0-meter.
Funny, I noticed the screams more often on the first listen because I was trying to capture every detail. They seemed excessive. I haven't noticed them much since except when they really elevate, like the end of Ashes to Ashes. In that latter case, it is one of the best moments on the album and adds to perhaps the best ending to any Stryper album to date (More Than A Man was always my favorite Stryper track before the new era).

On a somewhat separate note, once people have had time to pick up the album and absorb it for a little while, I'd be interested in how people would rank their closing tracks. Stryper has made a long habit of closing albums with something extraordinary. I always felt like Queensryche of old did that with something epic/outside the box. Stryper tends to go out blazing. I love it!
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, oldschooldoom, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:52 am

Count me underwhelmed after first listen. I like a handful of songs but many just don’t connect with me. Even the songs I like won’t challenge for anywhere in my Stryper top 10. I think it’s a well done album. I just don’t connect to the songs.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Constantine and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:33 pm

I think I shouldn't have preordered from Amazon. They are saying I won't get mine until Nov. 2.   Sad
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cailen Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:55 am

My thoughts after giving it a first spin; I was just listening once but very deep and closely:

This is the best Stryper since "In God we trust". It is close to their benchmarks "Soldiers" and to hell with the devil".

The only thing that is missing is a monster hit
like "Soldiers", "To hell with the devil", "In God we trust", "God" or "No more hell to pay", which I consider their hits.

The rest is just stellar and everything you love to hear from Stryper is there: great songwriting and production, cutting rhythm guitars, excellent solos, perfect and tight drumming, fantastic bass, wonderfull and extraordinary vocals and above all shining and wonderful harmonies.

I think "the final battle" will grow the more you listen to it.

P.S. By the way, I like the cover Cool

Last edited by cailen on Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
cailen
cailen
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Black Rider, oldschooldoom, Friday13th, Frozen Fire, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:25 am

I don’t think it tops Fallen and NMHTP, but it’s the best since those. GDE and ETDB were solid but a bit run of the mill for me with few standout tracks. I think Final Battle gives us back-to-back great songs.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Black Rider, cailen, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fundy Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:44 pm

The end of the song "Ashes To Ashes" is probably right up there with my favourite parts of any song they've ever done.  What an ending!!!
Fundy
Fundy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Pethead, MagnusPrime, Raegoul and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:57 pm

Fundy wrote:The end of the song "Ashes To Ashes" is probably right up there with my favourite parts of any song they've ever done.  What an ending!!!
Yeah, crazy how Michael pulls it off.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Black Rider, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:40 pm

I might have been a bit hasty to say I don’t like this. Listening more and it’s definitely a grower. That’s unusual for Stryper, at least for me. I’m gonna keep listening.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Friday13th, Pethead, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:42 pm

I've only heard a few songs but so far it sounds like the best they've done since IGWT.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Staybrite, Pethead, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:19 pm

Temple of Blood and cailen, do you guys rank In God We Trust high? Its near the bottom for me around #9 in ranking the 12  original Stryper albums. There are many albums that are way better than IGWT.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

eatbugs and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:06 am

Temple of Blood wrote:I've only heard a few songs but so far it sounds like the best they've done since IGWT.
So you didn‘t like Against The Law?  Shocked

I like the new album and rank it similar to GDE and ETDB but not quite as high as Fallen and NMHTP. 

I am not even going to compare it to the old albums, it wouldn‘t be fair because I have so much nostalgia attached to those.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Friday13th and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by cailen Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:16 am

@Soldier777

(In God we trust): It depends on your taste if you like it or not. If you aren‘t into glam metal you shouldn‘t like it .  Stryper "The Final Battle" thoughts 1f600 
The musicianship on that album is top notch. The most thing I like on IGWT are the harmonies they choose, both vocals and guitars. I don‘t know if you can hear this kind of canto with several voices and part music in the guitar harmonies from any other band.

I am exited to hear this on the final battle again. They have put a lot of work into this and I appreciate this very much. AND the songs are more METAL on „the final battle“. Rockin Loud

By the way normally I prefer darker and faster music but sometimes I give IGWT a spin.
cailen
cailen
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Temple of Blood, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fundy Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:07 am

At the current time I prefer GDE to ETDB and NMHTP (and possibly Fallen too).

Probably won't be receiving TFB until Christmas, so can't really comment on that, even though I have heard most of the tracks on youtube!
Fundy
Fundy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next