The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christian version of Volbeat?

4 posters

Go down

Christian version of Volbeat? Empty Christian version of Volbeat?

Post by WildWorld Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:26 am

I've been getting more into Volbeat recently, are there any Christian bands in the same vein? For those who dont know, their music is kind of a mix of punk and metal with Elvis/Johnny Cash-style vocals. Here's a sample:

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood likes this post

Back to top Go down

Christian version of Volbeat? Empty Re: Christian version of Volbeat?

Post by eatbugs Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:30 am

The closest I know of is/was The Circumcised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoTTR_xqV48

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:15 pm

My wife and I loved Volbeat back in the day! One of the few bands we both enjoyed. We traveled 9 hours to see them play with Nightwish in a hole in the wall in 2009 near Philadelphia, PA. Thirteen years later, never found anything like them in the Christian scene. I'd say, in those early days they were more unique than anything anywhere, secular or not. Today they have a far more pop-punk oriented sound that at least lends a few similarities.

The only bands that my wife enjoys that have some of the quirkiness, pop-punkish, rock-a-billy feel are bands like Grave Robber, Flatfoot 56, Altar Billies and Cast The Dragon. Those may seem like bad comparisons but songs like these have some of the classic feel of the more Elvis, Social Distortion types of songs that occasionally Volbeat has (Think 16 Dollars, their covers of Social Distortion "Making Believe" and "I'm Lonesome i Could Cry," etc_. 

Hopefully that helps a bit. Definitely like Volbeat's style but I don't know anyone that truly mixes in the beefy, Metallica-esque riffs with the rock-a-billy style punk they do.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:42 pm

I love their early sound, it was different yet familiar but the newer stuff has lost that edge. No one sounds like them but F56 is a great band.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:03 pm

Black Rider wrote:I love their early sound, it was different yet familiar but the newer stuff has lost that edge. No one sounds like them but F56 is a great band.

Agreed on both. 

Sad Man's Tongue was on our wedding CD in 2008. At the time I'd never heard or imagined anything like it. When Guitar Gangsters came out it ruled my stereo for over a year. Yet, even within the first three albums there were some repetitive riffs. The band seemed to lose the psychobilly tendencies as time went on, the heavy tunes became less innovative and songs like Fallen became more standard fare, a radio hit in my area. The tour with Metallica was a huge part of it all as well, thanks to the Denmark connection with Lars.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down