The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFTERWINTER - New Progressive Metal Band From Ohio

+15
oldschooldoom
average joe
Christian metal Horde
BaleMaster
Wigeon
LukeNealeigh
Temple of Blood
Superjuice
Frozen Fire
My Awesome Timothy
Ammocas
L8T
Staybrite
Black Rider
Constantine
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

AFTERWINTER - New Progressive Metal Band From Ohio - Page 2 Empty Re: AFTERWINTER - New Progressive Metal Band From Ohio

Post by mothy Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:43 am

Black Rider wrote:I thought we'd have an album by now.
You mean like the one released last week or so? Not sure what you mean.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

oldschooldoom likes this post

Back to top Go down

AFTERWINTER - New Progressive Metal Band From Ohio - Page 2 Empty Re: AFTERWINTER - New Progressive Metal Band From Ohio

Post by Black Rider Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:09 pm

Ha. I saw one song on Spotify and didn't realize it was over an hour long. 😲
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:13 pm

Same thing I did at first.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:15 pm

Black Rider wrote:Ha. I saw one song on Spotify and didn't realize it was over an hour long. 😲
Oh yeah, when I went to purchase on amazon digital there were 2 1 for 18 and 1 for 9 and I couldnt figure it out for a bit.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:22 pm

I've listened through this several times over the past two weeks but it is going to take awhile to full absorb. It's huge! Both primary vocalists are great singers but the necessity of the conversational tone took some getting used to at first. It's definitely a more true rock opera than most albums of its kind. Musically it is superb and though it would seem to be disjointed on first listen, each song flows better as I listen more, as does the album overall. I'm trying to think of a more ambitious single album release than this in the Christian market. This definitely something else!

Interestingly, the story is quite arresting. The music is great but the topic catches your attention. The lyrics can't be ignored, especially with spoken word segments and cut scenes throughout. I'm not quite clear on the theological conclusion but asking the questions that the lyrics deal with is certainly very real.

Overall, I'm impressed and enjoying the album. That said, I'm sure my views will round out considerably as I become more familiar with the whole album.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

oldschooldoom, Pethead, mothy, Ammocas and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:13 pm

^^You took the words right out of my mouth!
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:12 pm

Finally getting to this.

First off: musically, this is absolutely fantastic! If you like prog at all, you must hear this. It’s that simple. 

At this point in my life I don’t know if I can truly devote the time to absorb this properly, but that’s on me, not the album.

My only critique are the lyrics, and my critique is mild. You can tell they put thought into making sure the vocals and lyrics fit the music and so preserve solid hooks. They definitely are committed to telling a story, which I appreciate, but I do think the lyrics are a little too pedestrian at times and could use a bit more of a poetic approach. 

But like I said, my critique is minor, because this is some of the best stuff I’ve heard this year.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:27 pm

More people need to check this out. It’s not just meaningless guitar noodling like some prog; it’s actually got good riffs and hooks.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:34 pm

Black Rider wrote:Ha. I saw one song on Spotify and didn't realize it was over an hour long. 😲
They have the album up now with the song titles disambiguated.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by _wes Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:34 pm

average joe wrote:“I was scared with the Dream Theater mention that it would be filled with keyboard noodling. Instead it was a long format metal track with atmosphere. A little noodling is fine used in solo sections but in DT Jordan Rudess is way over the top, I'll even venture tactless, at times with his circus keyboards. This is more like older Kevin Moore/Derek Sherinian DT. The vocalist's voice is great! Love the grit and style. He has the Chuck Billy (Testament), bay area thrash sound that's a personal favorite. If what the band comes up with sounds like this then I am all over this and expecting a personal favorite.”

Digging the vocal style as well on the regression track. As for “keyboard noodling,” I would love to hear this track without the keyboard at all. I think you could have a really good mix of melodic aggression without the keys. Keys just ruin about all progressive metal for me because it just overpowers everything and turns what could be really cool melodic aggression into “happy metal” IMHO. I noticed Biogenesis dropped them on their most recent track and returned to a much more aggressive sound (not claiming they are progressive). That said, good vocals here which are hard to find! A lot of potential for sure! Personally, would just love to hear the keys eliminated altogether, or perhaps just 99%. LOL

Something along these lines from another Ohio band in terms of progressive-melodic-aggression:

Antithesis!!!  Loved those guys!!
_wes
_wes
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Location : Burke, VA - > Panama City, FL - > Montgomery, AL > Panama City FL (Lynn H aven) > DC > Dayton, OH > Huntsville, AL

Temple of Blood and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pro-Zak Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:05 pm

Spring?
Pro-Zak
Pro-Zak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2