The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some Thoughts On Progressive Rock Band Iona

4 posters

Go down

Some Thoughts On Progressive Rock Band Iona Empty Some Thoughts On Progressive Rock Band Iona

Post by Guitar Noir Thu May 16, 2019 12:45 pm

Latest blog post, some reflection on one of my favorite bands, progressive rockers Iona.  

https://shadesofnoirsite.wordpress.com/2019/05/09/iona-gone-but-not-forgotten/
Guitar Noir
Guitar Noir
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

https://shadesofnoirsite.wordpress.com/

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Some Thoughts On Progressive Rock Band Iona Empty Re: Some Thoughts On Progressive Rock Band Iona

Post by Superjuice Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:12 pm

Possibly the greatest Christian band of all time.  If you go by originality, musicality, lyrical content, vocal performance, arrangements, variety, musicianship, instrument and vocal tones, etc. etc... I can think of none better.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Some Thoughts On Progressive Rock Band Iona Empty Re: Some Thoughts On Progressive Rock Band Iona

Post by BaleMaster Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:11 pm

I had the pleasure of acquiring their 30-year box set. Great release.
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar Noir Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:09 pm

Superjuice wrote:Possibly the greatest Christian band of all time.  If you go by originality, musicality, lyrical content, vocal performance, arrangements, variety, musicianship, instrument and vocal tones, etc. etc... I can think of none better.
I can agree with everything you said.  I have been a big prog rock fan since the 1980's.  When I became a Christian in the 1990's I was definitely on the hunt for Christian prog.  I was a bit shocked to find so few prog bands. But when I discovered Iona in the late 90s I was immediately a fan. They has since been one of my favorite bands.  They were amazing on so many levels.  Gone, but not forgotten.
Guitar Noir
Guitar Noir
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar Noir Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:11 pm

BaleMaster wrote:I had the pleasure of acquiring their 30-year box set.  Great release.
That is a great boxset.  There is suppose to be a live boxset at some point in the future.
Guitar Noir
Guitar Noir
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:30 pm

I remember them. They were kind of the Christian musical answer to Clannad if I am not mistaken... or least Celtic and Irish (though I'm not sure if they were Irish)
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar Noir Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:31 am

Dustofyears wrote:I remember them. They were kind of the Christian musical answer to Clannad if I am not mistaken... or least Celtic and Irish (though I'm not sure if they were Irish)
There is some musical overlap between the two bands.  Both bands drew influence from folk, new age, pop and Celtic music, However, Iona brought in the influence of jazz and progressive rock as well.  Iona was by far a progressive rock band while Clannad were more of a commercial rock band.
Guitar Noir
Guitar Noir
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

BaleMaster and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:18 am

Cool. I just looked them up on Wiki. It's coming back to me now. Iona is named after an Island. The Book of Kells and another album with them on the cover are the ones I recall.

Clannad had some Saxophone and Jazzy flourishes here and there, bit definitely wouldn't call them Prog rock. Clannad do have a range of elements and genres in their music as they progressed from their origins of straight forward folk/celtic music. Quite a range.

Also see Moya Brennan (Enya's sister from Clannad) also worked with Iona on working out some gaelic translations or some such, though I'm not sure about the musical side of things.

Cheers.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down