The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFTERWINTER - New Progressive Metal Band From Ohio

+15
oldschooldoom
average joe
Christian metal Horde
BaleMaster
Wigeon
LukeNealeigh
Temple of Blood
Superjuice
Frozen Fire
My Awesome Timothy
Ammocas
L8T
Staybrite
Black Rider
Constantine
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

AFTERWINTER - New Progressive Metal Band From Ohio Empty AFTERWINTER - New Progressive Metal Band From Ohio

Post by Constantine Mon May 04, 2020 4:58 pm

I just discovered this band on Christianbandshirts.com.   

AfterWinter is a Progressive Metal band from Greenville, Ohio, formed in October 2019.

They have released one song so far but are working on an E.P. that was originally scheduled for release in February.

Impressive stuff.   The song is long but managed to hold my attention because it flows nicely, has a good sense of dynamics, and tells a story.

Check it out and see what you think:

Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

LukeNealeigh likes this post

Back to top Go down

AFTERWINTER - New Progressive Metal Band From Ohio Empty Re: AFTERWINTER - New Progressive Metal Band From Ohio

Post by Black Rider Mon May 04, 2020 9:20 pm

Isn't this the band Chaz Bond was in? I like it, a lot of DT sounds but it's a good song.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

AFTERWINTER - New Progressive Metal Band From Ohio Empty Re: AFTERWINTER - New Progressive Metal Band From Ohio

Post by Constantine Mon May 04, 2020 9:39 pm

Yes, Chaz was in it and he left....I don't know the story but I saw that mentioned in a few places.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Mon May 04, 2020 9:45 pm

This was the group of musicians Chaz was using for the last few BioGenesis albums.  For some reason he parted ways with the rest of the band and they renamed themselves AfterWinter and apparently are still making music.  Sounds really good.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

oldschooldoom, BaleMaster and LukeNealeigh like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeNealeigh Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:45 pm

Hey guys!! My name is Luke Nealeigh and I am the Lead Guitarist and producer for AfterWinter! Thank you for the support and positive comments! We're glad you like the song! There's going to be a lot more where that came from!

We are actually writing a full length album right now, not yet scheduled with a release date (we're a long way from a finished product). We don't have an EP in the works or anything like that, but we'll have that full length ready as soon as we can!

All five of us in AfterWinter were previously in BioGenesis. I actually produced both A Decadence Divine, and Black Widow. James Riggs (Rhythm Guitarist) was actually a founding member of BioGenesis with Chaz Bond, and is the guy behind all of the awesome guitar riffs on The Mark Bleeds Through and The Rise, The Fall, The Rebirth. During pre-production for a planned fifth BioGenesis album, the five of us came into a creative conflict with Chaz, and despite several attempts for a compromise, we found we were unable to come to a definitive solution, so we made the decision to leave the band and form something new - both so that we could satisfy what we wanted to do musically, and conceptually, and Chaz was free to form a new project, or continue BioGenesis with other musicians (which he did), so that he could also achieve what he wanted to do.

No point in the band as it existed continuing and us putting some sub-par music none of the six us were completely satisfied with!!

In any case, I just wanted to jump in here and give you all a bit of information, and again, thank you for all your kind words!!
LukeNealeigh
LukeNealeigh
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Temple of Blood, oldschooldoom, _wes, Constantine and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:03 pm

Hi Luke!   Thank you for giving us all of that background info.  I was extremely impressed by A Decadence Divine (my introduction to BioGenesis) and wrote the 1st Amazon review for it.  I also thought the track "Black Widow" was stunning.  
I'm sorry things did not work out with Chaz but I'm looking forward to hearing more material from AfterWinter.  
Best to you and the other band members!
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

_wes, BaleMaster and LukeNealeigh like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by L8T Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:25 pm

Welcome to CMR Luke.
L8T
L8T
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

_wes, BaleMaster and LukeNealeigh like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:47 pm

Welcome Luke! Thanks for the info...it’s good to hear that a full length album is in the works!
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

_wes, Constantine, BaleMaster and LukeNealeigh like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by My Awesome Timothy Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:37 am

Truth be told, I’m kinda sad things didn’t work out with Chaz and Biogenesis but over the moon we now have 2 supergroups.  I don’t know who the vocalist is but I really thought he smashed it and the song was sensational.  

Am so looking forward to the debut album, don’t think I’ve been as excited for a new band in a long time, I hope you get the promotion you deserve.
My Awesome Timothy
My Awesome Timothy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster and LukeNealeigh like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:26 pm

I missed something here by missing this thread. 

This is fantastic! I was scared with the Dream Theater mention that it would be filled with keyboard noodling. Instead it was a long format metal track with atmosphere. A little noodling is fine used in solo sections but in DT Jordan Rudess is way over the top, I'll even venture tactless, at times with his circus keyboards. This is more like older Kevin Moore/Derek Sherinian DT. The vocalist's voice is great! Love the grit and style. He has the Chuck Billy (Testament), bay area thrash sound that's a personal favorite. If what the band comes up with sounds like this then I am all over this and expecting a personal favorite.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:02 pm

Singer sounds like this guy:

Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

oldschooldoom, _wes, BaleMaster and LukeNealeigh like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:35 pm

Nice work gentlemen!
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:33 pm

Thanks for the update Luke.  Looking forward to hearing more from the new album.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeNealeigh Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:58 pm

I'm a bit blown away by the response, honestly! Thank you all again!! We're really looking forward to getting the album out there, so we're really taking our time to try and make something special.
     We've written a long-form concept, so the full album will be stylistically similar to "Regression" as far as hearing story elements and dialogue throughout, plus we've taken the idea of the music leaning heavily into the emotion the lyrics and dialogue portray, so what we've written so far is extremely diverse. We currently have six songs in demo form, and it's kinda looking like we'll end up with a double concept album! We'll have to see as we progress through the elements of the story.
     Regression itself won't actually be on the album, although the story that song tells may end up playing into the story of the full length in a small way.
     We will almost definitely utilize different vocalists throughout the album to play the parts of the different characters. We're aiming to get as immersive as we can! As it happens, it's me singing the lead part on Regression, so thank you guys again for the compliments on that!!
     If any or all of you are on Facebook and are interested, look me up and send me a friend request, and also a message about joining our private fanclub group "AfterWinter - The Making of Paramnesia" to see some behind the scenes videos and updates as they happen! In addition, if you're a fan of our era of BioGenesis, there are also a ton of videos in there from the making of both A Decadence Divine, and Black Widow!
LukeNealeigh
LukeNealeigh
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

_wes and Constantine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeNealeigh Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:05 pm

My Awesome Timothy wrote:Truth be told, I’m kinda sad things didn’t work out with Chaz and Biogenesis but over the moon we now have 2 supergroups. 
My Awesome Timothy, absolutely! This is exactly what we've been telling people as well. Kinda wish it hadn't happened the way it did, but we've got a bit of a small-scale Metallica/Megadeth situation now where there are two awesome bands instead of just the one!
LukeNealeigh
LukeNealeigh
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

_wes and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wigeon Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:46 pm

Just discovered this. Long time Biogenesis fan here. The song is fantastic. Vocals remind me of Kurt Bachman's vocals in the more recent Believer albums. The music is awesome, I hear Bio, DT, and love the doomy Opeth-like riff at around 5 minutes. Looing forward to hearing more!
Wigeon
Wigeon
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Constantine and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeNealeigh Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:46 pm

Hello everyone!

I wanted to throw out a quick update to you all! The album has is now fully written and demoed! Its looking like 17 tracks spanning two discs. We started recording drum tracks about a month ago, and Eli has completed 3 of the songs so far! We've announced one of the lead vocalists for the album, and we're about to announce the voice for the main character hopefully sometime this coming week!
     I'm not sure if any of you caught this at the time, but we released another new non-album track right around Christmas time last year. We wanted to feature one of our album lead vocalists in a standalone track, as well as combining an original track with a few classic Christmas carols (I'm curious if any of you can name them all!).
     If you're interested, check out the YouTube link below to hear "Under Fire"! Again, thank all of you for the support and compliments on Regression! We really appreciate it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTrxKBCQ0aI
LukeNealeigh
LukeNealeigh
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Black Rider, Staybrite, Temple of Blood, Constantine and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:14 pm

Thanks Luke!   Looking forward to hearing more when you're ready.  I did catch the Christmas song when it was released, as I'm subscribed to the YT channel.  When you say Eli, do you mean Prinsen?
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:53 pm

Can't wait for this release! Welcome to the CMR, Luke!
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:45 am

That's good news, will be checking the new stuff out for sure.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian metal Horde Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:42 pm

Niceee
Christian metal Horde
Christian metal Horde
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

https://www.instagram.com/christianmetalhorde?igsh=ZHl5ZzlqazUxa

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:24 am

“I was scared with the Dream Theater mention that it would be filled with keyboard noodling. Instead it was a long format metal track with atmosphere. A little noodling is fine used in solo sections but in DT Jordan Rudess is way over the top, I'll even venture tactless, at times with his circus keyboards. This is more like older Kevin Moore/Derek Sherinian DT. The vocalist's voice is great! Love the grit and style. He has the Chuck Billy (Testament), bay area thrash sound that's a personal favorite. If what the band comes up with sounds like this then I am all over this and expecting a personal favorite.”

Digging the vocal style as well on the regression track. As for “keyboard noodling,” I would love to hear this track without the keyboard at all. I think you could have a really good mix of melodic aggression without the keys. Keys just ruin about all progressive metal for me because it just overpowers everything and turns what could be really cool melodic aggression into “happy metal” IMHO. I noticed Biogenesis dropped them on their most recent track and returned to a much more aggressive sound (not claiming they are progressive). That said, good vocals here which are hard to find! A lot of potential for sure! Personally, would just love to hear the keys eliminated altogether, or perhaps just 99%. LOL

Something along these lines from another Ohio band in terms of progressive-melodic-aggression:

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

_wes and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:37 pm

New single from Afterwinter released on August 13, 2021:

Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:31 am

Luke, were you or any of the band members at Immortal Fest this year or last? I see Greenville is only about 10 miles away. Maybe AfterWinter will be invited to perform there when they have a prog theme at Immortal???

I'm almost finished with my first listen of the new concept album. His and her vocals.

Biogenesis? Seems I saw the band at So Cal Metal Fest 2017
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:11 am

I thought we'd have an album by now.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next