The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Digipack Hate

+15
Temple of Blood
Soldier777
Frozen Fire
Snert I
mothy
Andreas89
grandeped
Staybrite
crucifyd
force perspective
Ammocas
eatbugs
Constantine
WildWorld
My Awesome Timothy
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Digipack Hate Empty Digipack Hate

Post by My Awesome Timothy Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:33 pm

Record companies please STOP  Monkey Biz releasing DiGiPaCkS, after a few years they look so tatty, the discs fall out, they are a rip off as they contain no lyrics or info and they are squashed out of shape.  So disappointed with some of my purchases.
My Awesome Timothy
My Awesome Timothy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Digipack Hate Empty Re: Digipack Hate

Post by WildWorld Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:47 pm

I wonder why they've never gone for the slimline case method, still saves space, but doesnt fall apart.

Digipack Hate Z

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:12 pm

I HATE digipacks.  There are a few releases I'd like to get but I don't want to fork over money for a digipack.

Who can we write to at the record companies to get them to stop using them?   
If anyone has any contact info for Matt Hunt, Bill Roxx, etc. I will write to them.   

Or...we can create a petition!   That might be better. Exclamation
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:30 pm

We've had many threads like this over the years.  I think digipacks are universally hated.  We even had a poll of jewel case vs. digipack and jewel cases won overwhelmingly. 

I thought Retroactive figured it out a while ago when they started producing in CDs in jewel cases again.  I guess not.

Bill Roxx does post here from time to time.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:43 pm

WildWorld wrote:I wonder why they've never gone for the slimline case method, still saves space, but doesnt fall apart.

My guess would be that a slimline case cannot handle the standard size of the paperwork (back tray inserts, etc.) used for most full-length discs.  However, I have purchased singles and maxi-singles in slimline cases in the past (the U.K. used them a lot) so it is theoretically possible.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:59 pm

From a collector's standpoint, slimlines don't look as good on a CD rack.  They're too thin to read the artist and title.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by My Awesome Timothy Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:36 pm

eatbugs wrote:From a collector's standpoint, slimlines don't look as good on a CD rack.  They're too thin to read the artist and title.

Good point!
My Awesome Timothy
My Awesome Timothy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:43 pm

I AM NOT A FAN OF DIGI-CRAPS! PLEASE, NO MORE.
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by force perspective Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:25 am

if you watch my show TR you know i can't stand them!
force perspective
force perspective
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:40 am

HEAR HEAR!

AWAY WITH YOU DIGIPAKS!

Last edited by crucifyd on Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:55 am

The only think I dislike more that digipacks are those dumb cardboard sleeves (that are supposed to make it look like a small vinyl album cover).  Completely despise sliding my cd in and out of those things every time I want to play it.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by grandeped Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:51 am

I haven't seen any releases in digipak format from the labels in a long time. Even several bands have stopped. What has been released on digipak recently?

grandeped
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:40 pm

Oh boy, I feel like going to internet war with you guys Twisted Evil

I used to be annoyed by digipacks, because my first CD storage system was pretty much meant for jewelcases only. Besides, when the jewelcase gets damaged, you can easily replace it if it bothers you too much. But now that I use shelves, I must say that there's something more classy about them, provided that the quality is good of course. And if you don't store your CDs in a way that presses them together, there shouldn't be much of a problem when it comes to potential damage.

TL;DR: jewelcases are for common people, and I'm too special for that Twisted Evil
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:10 pm

I got to go with @Andreas89 on this one with one caveat. I dont display any cd's I own, but cant stand jewel cases
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Snert I Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:55 pm

For me many Digipacks look much better than the jewel case version (when handled with care), but are significantly more impractical in many respects...
So, I don't hate digipacks, but prefer jewel cases.

Don't like cardboard sleeves at all!

Snert I
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:00 pm

I don't like slim digipacks. They are hard to see, easy to lose sight of (the mentioned slim design is hard to see when in a stack or on a shelf) and get damaged easily by my kids. Others look fantastic, are relatively hardy and can be nice keepsakes. I get special edition albums whenever they are available. Often they are in some form of more vulnerable packaging. I like it. I've never hated them except when the lyrics are absent or they have that little foam/gel nub that holds the CD. That's junk.

Always hated replacing the jewel cases. Those have come cracked often in the mail often (Backs/Fronts/Insert Trays). A couple years ago I bought 40 empty ones though and that alleviated that issue.

Bottom line, I don't hate either one. They have their problems. I prefer a nice digibook to a jewel case and a jewel case to a slim digipack.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:00 pm

I mostly prefer jewel cases. I don't mind digipaks if they are well constructed or have a cool booklet or pictures inside. I hated the Guardian First Watch 20th anniversary First Watch one where the hub that held the CD broke. I threw that one out the other week. I had the First Watch original Enigma Records version. My Enigma Records version had sort of a picture disc and not the original black disc with the yellow and black logo.

The Roxx Records reissue of Holy Soldier Last Train and Sacred Warrior Masters Command never had any booklet or insert so there wasn't much to those. I may sell those where I have the originals.

Remember the Saint reissues of the first 3 albums by Retroactive? The CD kept falling out? I fixed that by gently making the hub wider so the CD won't fall out.

The Dream theater Live at Budakon and Score digis are cool where you open them up and you see the stage layout and Mike Portnoy's cool drum kit. The only draw back is the CDs slide in a pocket and you risk scratching the CD. My Live Scenes From NY digi is tattered and 1 or 2 of the CDs are scratched so I may replace this album.

I have the reissues of Bloodgood Rock in a Hard Place and Out of the Darkness where it was remastered with the bass rerecorded or brought out so you can hear it on RIAHP. I didn't mind these digipaks where there wasn't much to the original pressings anyway where these were also a 4 page insert.

I bought the latest Barren Cross Rock for the King digipak that was released a few years ago. I didn't mind this one where there were cool pictures even though there was no booklet in it. I sold my Medusa version when I bought this one.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:28 pm

I don't like digipacks for all the reasons listed by you guys, but I prefer them over just digital downloads.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:43 pm

Soldier777 wrote:Remember the Saint reissues of the first 3 albums by Retroactive? The CD kept falling out? I fixed that by gently making the hub wider so the CD won't fall out.

What is this dark magic?  How do I obtain such powers?

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:28 am

I talked to an artist about it one time, and he claimed that they were more expensive to produce (Digipaks), but the fans wanted them. I disagreed as I have seen what people say.

That being said, I hear by pledge to release Warpriest in a jewel case! Very Happy
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:37 am

deathisgain wrote:That being said, I hear by pledge to release Warpriest in a jewel case! Very Happy

Your words mean nothing if you don't back 'em up with CDs (jewel case or not)!   Razz

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:55 am

I don’t mind digipaks as long as they hold the cd securely and have the lyrics included. I used to like jewel cases, but they always break or crack easily. It drives me mad when I get a cracked case in the mail!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:01 pm

I'm with you, TZ75.  Fortunately I have a box stashed full of CD cases.  Truth be told, I've been on a vinyl kick lately, and would rather have an lp + a download.
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:34 pm

BaleMaster wrote:I'm with you, TZ75.  Fortunately I have a box stashed full of CD cases.  Truth be told, I've been on a vinyl kick lately, and would rather have an lp + a download.

I also have a box of old jewel cases for if I need to sell some or just replace a broken one. Although I actually decided to put a lot of my cds in those individual polypropylene sleeves to decrease the clutter and save space. I will just keep the rare and hard to find cds in the jewel cases for protection.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:01 am

Kerrick wrote:
deathisgain wrote:That being said, I hear by pledge to release Warpriest in a jewel case! Very Happy

Your words mean nothing if you don't back 'em up with CDs (jewel case or not)!   Razz

You got me. I was only going to send out jewel cases. No cd's.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next