The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

+25
heck
TheOldMan2084
Ted Kirkpatrick
Follower of Jesus
Bahana
Temple of Blood
jaydeecrawson
metaldude
strangerhoncho
Hardcore Christian
Frozen Fire
My Awesome Timothy
eatbugs
Pro-Zak
stevegarveyfan
Fundy
cailen
Black Rider
Livna
FreeRangeBeliever
timekeeper
Sir Shred A Lot
11razorwire
mothy
Airola
29 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa - Page 2 Empty Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Airola Thu May 24, 2018 6:10 am

strangerhoncho wrote:It's a good song for the style.  But it sounds nothing like Tourniquet.  Not like any version of Tourniquet ever.  It's basic melodic metal.  Standard, predictable song structure and tones.  Nothing unexpected, nothing weird, no varied tones, no fancy drumming...none of the things that made Tourniquet, Tourniquet.  The only way I'd ever suspect it was them if I heard it without knowing who it was would be Aaron's vocals in the beginning.

One thing I noticed too was that I didn't follow the drumming even nearly as much as in previous albums. I was kinda expecting something like what happens in the melodic part in the middle of Chart of the Elements (from Antiseptic Bloodbath). In that song that part was when I first thought "well that's Ted Kirkpatrick right there." I agree that this song doesn't really have those moments, at least not clearly to be heard during the first few listens. There are some interesting ghost notes on drums in the most straightforward chorus part. It's really hard to hear though. I have to use my headphones to hear them. But yeah, that's not a "oh that's Ted" thing either. And while there are other little things going on at different places they are all kinda buried and not nearly as noticeable as in previous albums.

But to say it doesn't sound like any version of Tourniquet ever isn't really true. What is your opinion of Restoring the Locust Years on WMARD? Wasn't that song kinda like this one, at least what comes to the classic heavy metal ironmaidenesque rhythm kind of stuff?
And isn't the middle part (which is later replicated with bass in the end) pretty much something that could've been on MVOATR?

Anyways, I agree with you that there really aren't that much clear Tourniquet-y things going on in this song, although I do find the main riff to be exactly the kind of stuff Ted would write when he's going for the groove (it has a bit of the same vibe what the best riffs on Vanishing Lessons and Crawl to China have).

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Thu May 24, 2018 9:31 am

I'm a Tourniquet fan, so I'm in. It's nice to see a shift in lyrical content. I'm anxious to hear the rest.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by jaydeecrawson Thu May 24, 2018 10:35 am

the cover looks like a video game character... logo too. way too HiRes video game-ish

jaydeecrawson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu May 24, 2018 10:47 am

Song is pretty good.  Their best song in years.  Lead vocals are a HUGE improvement.

The arrangement is questionable, but this is Tourniquet after all.

The lyrics don't seem as good as normal though, and what's the point of a lyric video that only serve to emphasize the so-so lyrics?
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Thu May 24, 2018 11:01 am

Man we're harsh, one song and we have this pegged.  Very Happy
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Shred A Lot Thu May 24, 2018 11:18 am

I actually like that this tune is shorter and doesn’t linger too long on any particular section. It has plenty of variety and never feels bogged down. The song ends and leaves me wanting to hear more, which is always a good sign for me.

I don’t know how someone could think that this doesn’t sound like Tourniquet. When Aaron’s vocals start, it definitely sounds like Tourniquet. The instrumental bridge in the middle sounds a lot like some of the bridges on the MVTR tunes, and the last 30 seconds definitely has the quirky Tourniquet rhythms.

Sir Shred A Lot
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Fundy Thu May 24, 2018 12:13 pm

Black Rider wrote:Man we're harsh, one song and we have this pegged.  Very Happy
lol!
Fundy
Fundy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Fri May 25, 2018 1:20 am

Airola wrote:
strangerhoncho wrote:It's a good song for the style.  But it sounds nothing like Tourniquet.  Not like any version of Tourniquet ever.  It's basic melodic metal.  Standard, predictable song structure and tones.  Nothing unexpected, nothing weird, no varied tones, no fancy drumming...none of the things that made Tourniquet, Tourniquet.  The only way I'd ever suspect it was them if I heard it without knowing who it was would be Aaron's vocals in the beginning.

One thing I noticed too was that I didn't follow the drumming even nearly as much as in previous albums. I was kinda expecting something like what happens in the melodic part in the middle of Chart of the Elements (from Antiseptic Bloodbath). In that song that part was when I first thought "well that's Ted Kirkpatrick right there." I agree that this song doesn't really have those moments, at least not clearly to be heard during the first few listens. There are some interesting ghost notes on drums in the most straightforward chorus part. It's really hard to hear though. I have to use my headphones to hear them. But yeah, that's not a "oh that's Ted" thing either. And while there are other little things going on at different places they are all kinda buried and not nearly as noticeable as in previous albums.

But to say it doesn't sound like any version of Tourniquet ever isn't really true. What is your opinion of Restoring the Locust Years on WMARD? Wasn't that song kinda like this one, at least what comes to the classic heavy metal ironmaidenesque rhythm kind of stuff?
And isn't the middle part (which is later replicated with bass in the end) pretty much something that could've been on MVOATR?

Anyways, I agree with you that there really aren't that much clear Tourniquet-y things going on in this song, although I do find the main riff to be exactly the kind of stuff Ted would write when he's going for the groove (it has a bit of the same vibe what the best riffs on Vanishing Lessons and Crawl to China have).

I listened again and yeah, the middle part is vaguely Tourniquet-y I suppose.  In the most boring way possible.  I think I'm mostly thrown off by the different guitar tone and Deen's vocals.  Which I actually prefer to Luke's BY FAR, but mainstream melodic metal vocals don't fit what Tourniquet is at its best:  a prog thrash/groove band.

I don't hear any musical similarity to Restoring the Locust Years, personally.  But I've only listened to WMARD a few times over the years because I found Luke's vocals too distracting and cartoonish on it (although I found him listenable on MVOATR and earlier albums, for some odd reason).

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Fri May 25, 2018 1:22 am

Sir Shred A Lot wrote:I actually like that this tune is shorter and doesn’t linger too long on any particular section. It has plenty of variety and never feels bogged down. The song ends and leaves me wanting to hear more, which is always a good sign for me.

I don’t know how someone could think that this doesn’t sound like Tourniquet. When Aaron’s vocals start, it definitely sounds like Tourniquet. The instrumental bridge in the middle sounds a lot like some of the bridges on the MVTR tunes, and the last 30 seconds definitely has the quirky Tourniquet rhythms.

Yeah, I can hear all those things now.  I just think the more normal guitar tone and Deen's conventional vocals overpower everything else to my ears.

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Bahana Fri May 25, 2018 11:06 am

Will Deen sing throughout the entire album?
Bahana
Bahana
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Shred A Lot Fri May 25, 2018 2:43 pm

Bahana wrote:Will Deen sing throughout the entire album?

EDIT: I finally found Deen's other tweet, where he clearly states that this is the only song that he did for Tourniquet.

Based on what Deen himself has posted on Twitter, this is the only song he did: https://twitter.com/DeenTheDrummer/status/986010380425093120

On a related note, he actually revealed the song/album title on Twitter way back in March (not sure if Ted and Aaron knew that): https://twitter.com/DeenTheDrummer/status/975103091203751936

Someone showed me that back in April, but I didn't want to post it on public forums since I know that bands want to control the information that is released. I'm pretty sure that I know one or two other pieces of info about the album that haven't been announced, but I'll keep those secrets, too (unless someone offers me enough money - I can always be bought for the right price).  Very Happy

Last edited by Sir Shred A Lot on Fri May 25, 2018 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sir Shred A Lot
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Fri May 25, 2018 4:01 pm

strangerhoncho wrote:I guess I'm going to be the lone dissenting voice this time.  You guys are all nuts!

It's a good song for the style.  But it sounds nothing like Tourniquet.  Not like any version of Tourniquet ever.  It's basic melodic metal.  Standard, predictable song structure and tones.  Nothing unexpected, nothing weird, no varied tones, no fancy drumming...none of the things that made Tourniquet, Tourniquet.  The only way I'd ever suspect it was them if I heard it without knowing who it was would be Aaron's vocals in the beginning.

I wish them all the best, I'm glad they're still making music, I'm glad everyone else is happy with it, and I'll definitely check out the album when it comes out, but there's nothing in this song that my particular ears find interesting.

That’s funny! I’ve never been a big Tourniquet fan; a big reason why being their prog tendencies. This song, being much more melodic, is right up my alley! I also think Deen’s vocals work very well here. I may be checking out my first Tourniquet record since Vanishing Lessons.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Fri May 25, 2018 11:30 pm

Sir Shred A Lot wrote:
Bahana wrote:Will Deen sing throughout the entire album?

EDIT: I finally found Deen's other tweet, where he clearly states that this is the only song that he did for Tourniquet.
Really disappointing

Now I am skeptical about this release Crying or Very sad
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Fundy Sat May 26, 2018 4:31 am

Nooo!  Deen's vocals were what sold it for me.  I know he makes them sound a bit unTourniquety (I just made that word up!) but I loved how it sounded.

I'll have to see what the other songs are like...
Fundy
Fundy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 26, 2018 7:15 am

I guess we will see plenty of singers in this album.

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Sat May 26, 2018 12:57 pm

Thiago-Brazil wrote:I guess we will see plenty of singers in this album.

Which makes Tourniquet more of a project than a band, sadly.  Kinda like the Probot album Dave Grohl did years ago with a bunch of different metal singers.  But hopefully everyone will get some tracks they really love out of it no matter what style of singing they prefer.

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Ted Kirkpatrick Sat May 26, 2018 1:32 pm

Hey guys - We've been totally blown away by the response to the music, the cover art, and the video!! Over 10,000 views on YouTube and only 4 thumbs down out of 729, plus so many cool comments. Can't possibly ask for a better response than that. Add the Facebook, Twitter, and now numerous secular sites response and we are beyond thrilled. Deen (who by the way is a real true Christian brother)was into doing the rest of the tunes, but we just ran out of time before he left for a world tour with The Dead Daisies. Of course, what he did is fantastic. He always kills it whether it's drums or vocals. As for "there will be lots of other vocalists" - no. And 100% guarantee rest of vox will be stellar. 

This album will instantly sound like Tourniquet to listeners - yet new - as the title track does. Title track alone has so many elements we are known for. Drum poly rhythms (ride cymbal/tom/kicks part near beginning), fast double kick parts (like twice as fast as Ark of Suffering for those keeping score at home) classical parts, leads (you'll hear more from the brilliant Chis Poland and longer lead sections!!), more Aaron vocals - I love his vocals on the title track and seems many fans do too!, melodic catchy chorus, weird quirky parts (end of song where middle classical part is broken into pieces and played on bass in alternating regular and speed picking sections, with the rhythms played by double bass triplets with matching guitar) and Christian message done in a unique way. Honestly, not sure how anyone who knows our music even a little could say this sounds nothing like Tourniquet. It's everything Tourniquet. Plus the production, which I feel is our best sounding yet. 

The tune is now available on iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, etc. - thanks and more updates very soon... Ted

Ted Kirkpatrick
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Shred A Lot Sat May 26, 2018 3:21 pm

Ted Kirkpatrick wrote:Hey guys - We've been totally blown away by the response to the music, the cover art, and the video!! Over 10,000 views on YouTube and only 4 thumbs down out of 729, plus so many cool comments. Can't possibly ask for a better response than that. Add the Facebook, Twitter, and now numerous secular sites response and we are beyond thrilled. Deen (who by the way is a real true Christian brother)was into doing the rest of the tunes, but we just ran out of time before he left for a world tour with The Dead Daisies. Of course, what he did is fantastic. He always kills it whether it's drums or vocals. As for "there will be lots of other vocalists" - no. And 100% guarantee rest of vox will be stellar. 

This album will instantly sound like Tourniquet to listeners - yet new - as the title track does. Title track alone has so many elements we are known for. Drum poly rhythms (ride cymbal/tom/kicks part near beginning), fast double kick parts (like twice as fast as Ark of Suffering for those keeping score at home) classical parts, leads (you'll hear more from the brilliant Chis Poland and longer lead sections!!), more Aaron vocals - I love his vocals on the title track and seems many fans do too!, melodic catchy chorus, weird quirky parts (end of song where middle classical part is broken into pieces and played on bass in alternating regular and speed picking sections, with the rhythms played by double bass triplets with matching guitar) and Christian message done in a unique way. Honestly, not sure how anyone who knows our music even a little could say this sounds nothing like Tourniquet. It's everything Tourniquet. Plus the production, which I feel is our best sounding yet. 

The tune is now available on iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, etc. - thanks and more updates very soon... Ted

Ted - Thanks for sharing this info and for continuing to make great music. I've been a fan from Day 1, having pre-ordered "Stop the Bleeding" on cassette from my local Christian bookstore back in 1990. I always look forward to a new Tourniquet album, and this time is no exception, especially after hearing the title track.

Sir Shred A Lot
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by TheOldMan2084 Sat May 26, 2018 3:55 pm

I really like this track too. I like that it's a bit simpler and more melodic. It kind of reminds me of the Stop the Bleeding days. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album.
TheOldMan2084
TheOldMan2084
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 26, 2018 6:29 pm

I can hear all those elements Ted listed above that remind us Tourniquet. But I also see that this song is more melodic. It doesn't mean it ain't Tourniquet.
To me, this is more of a evolution of band's sound.

Back to top Go down

Post by heck Sat May 26, 2018 11:30 pm

Great tune but can someone explain the metaphor to me? I don’t get it.

If I was gong to use the metaphor of medusa in a song it would be the idea that you just cant help doing something that will kill you (like the fantastic Enveloped in Python). But the rest of the Medusa song signals victory rather than a warning.

heck
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by jaydeecrawson Sat May 26, 2018 11:41 pm

Ted should get Papa Emeritus to guest on a song or two!

jaydeecrawson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ted Kirkpatrick Sat May 26, 2018 11:52 pm

The simple meaning is all in the lyrics... 

Cover your face - try to shield your eyes
Innocent deception is her disguise
Look upon her face - you will witness your demise
As you turn to stone – there will be no cries
The littered broken stone of those who came before
Who tried but failed – and lost the war
Who came to conquer – but her weapon ignored
Medusa…

She will turn you into stone
But a stronger one sits on the throne
You need only to be still
Trials come and trials go
He will fight your battle foe
Gazing at Medusa
Stare into her eyes – you’re free
Free for all eternity
Gazing at Medusa

I can do all things through Him who strengthens me
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me

When my back’s against the wall
He will make sure I don’t fall
Victory is ours to grasp
So go ahead and gaze
Stare into her eyes ablaze
Gazing at Medusa

Philippians 4:13 – “I can do all things through him who strengthens me.”

Ted Kirkpatrick
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by FreeRangeBeliever Sun May 27, 2018 12:12 am

I think it means that when we know who we are in Christ the things that used to seem impossible or something to really fear won't bother us anymore. Therefore staring down a monster that used to overpower us - such as Medusa will be possible with confidence.

The cover is possibly the best ever TQT cover! Love it!!
FreeRangeBeliever
FreeRangeBeliever
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Sun May 27, 2018 6:08 am

I liked the lyrics a lot and thought they were quite clear and quite a clever way to use the concept of Medusa to explain sin and the redeemer of sin.

If you go towards whatever tempts you without understanding what it'll do to you, you will be annihilated.
But when you understand that going towards that has fatal consequences you understand you need help. And when you get help from Christ you can defeat whatever tempts you to sin. You can then look at the problem directly and understand the evil behind it and not worry about falling down, and then the problem will be defeated.

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next