Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Airola on Tue May 22, 2018 12:00 pm

New Tourniquet single was just uploaded.


Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 580
Join date : 2012-02-01
Age : 36
Location : Finland

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by mothy on Tue May 22, 2018 12:06 pm

not bad
avatar
mothy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 761
Join date : 2017-10-13
Location : Colorado

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by 11razorwire on Tue May 22, 2018 12:10 pm

Good stuff
avatar
11razorwire
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 707
Join date : 2016-01-10
Age : 49
Location : Myrtle Beach SC

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Sir Shred A Lot on Tue May 22, 2018 12:14 pm

Sounds like Tourniquet. Nice work by Aaron - both on vocals and guitars. Deen Castronovo can sing. I like the drum sound. There's more bass audible in the last 30 seconds than we've heard from Tourniquet in a long time.

Sir Shred A Lot
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 416
Join date : 2012-02-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Airola on Tue May 22, 2018 12:22 pm

Oh man, Deen sounds SO GOOD here!
I think Aaron is also at his best with vocals in this song.

It's a great song. A bit thrashy elements here and there, but sounds more classic metal overall. The chorus is classic melodic heavy metal.

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 580
Join date : 2012-02-01
Age : 36
Location : Finland

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Airola on Tue May 22, 2018 12:24 pm


Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 580
Join date : 2012-02-01
Age : 36
Location : Finland

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by timekeeper on Tue May 22, 2018 12:34 pm

Sounds really good!  Can't wait for the full release.
avatar
timekeeper
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 900
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 47

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by FreeRangeBeliever on Tue May 22, 2018 12:36 pm

The album cover is AWESOME!!

The song itself is okay.. Some good parts but the solos don't really grab me,and the ending kinda disappoints.
Maybe i need to hear it more.
Aaron sounds good on vocals and Deen too... but his voice steers the song towards classic rock/metal sound.
I miss the classic TQT thrash sound. Still this song is better than any song i heard on the last album in 2012 which
was the first TQT album i sold.
avatar
FreeRangeBeliever
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 528
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 47
Location : Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Livna on Tue May 22, 2018 1:09 pm

Lotsa cool stuff coming out between Bride & TQT
avatar
Livna
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 245
Join date : 2014-08-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Black Rider on Tue May 22, 2018 1:11 pm

Some of that riffing is right off WMARD which is great. The weakest part imo is Deen, doesn't ruin it but his voice isn't what I want to hear over this kind of music.
avatar
Black Rider
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3326
Join date : 2012-02-01
Location : Naches, Wa.

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Tue May 22, 2018 1:19 pm

Wow.

Awesome! Everything is just awesome!

Love the artcover, the logo(with a slightely remembrance to Stop the Bleeding) and mostly the song itself.

I always thought Aaron could handle all the agressive vocals on Tourniquet. They just needed a vocalist for the chorus and bridges.

I am not this excited about Tourniquet in a long time, as the last album I truly enjoyed was Microscopic View of...

I am just wondering if I got the T-shirt package from Kickstater (or if there is such a package). I hope so.  scratch
avatar
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1465
Join date : 2012-03-12
Age : 31
Location : São Paulo - Brazil

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Airola on Tue May 22, 2018 1:40 pm

Black Rider wrote:Some of that riffing is right off WMARD which is great. The weakest part imo is Deen, doesn't ruin it but his voice isn't what I want to hear over this kind of music.

Before WMARD was released Restoring the Locust Years was released by accident as the first single. Some were disappointed because it was a short song and quite a simple one, but I loved it. Eventually the the title track was released and Locust Years was removed. Now, in this new song when the main riff kicked in I got the same vibes I got when I heard Restoring the Locust Years the first time.

I disagree on Deen though. I think he fits amazingly well with those riffs and that classic metal style. When he sang that first note after Aaron I got some darn good shivers immediately. I love that kind of a raspy sound. I would love to hear him more in the new album. I would love him to be the lead singer in the rest of the songs, or if he isn't I'm hoping he is not just "1 out of 10" different vocalists.

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 580
Join date : 2012-02-01
Age : 36
Location : Finland

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by cailen on Tue May 22, 2018 2:34 pm

Well I will not compare this to the first three outstanding TQT albums.
And I will not talk about the rhythm and lead guitar work of Gary and Eric here... Rolling Eyes

After just one time listening:

Compared to the TediqueT albums since Microscopic this is really good stuff.

The songwriting is tight and the songstructures are reduced to what is needed.

The emphasis lies imo on the vocals which is good.

I was sceptical about Deen but he fits very well and is a singer that
brings variety and his own expression here that enriches this song a lot.
avatar
cailen
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 316
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 45
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Fundy on Tue May 22, 2018 3:43 pm

That's the best song I've heard from Tourniquet since Pathogenic!  LOVE Deen's vocals, completely puts Tourniquet back in my sphere of interest!  Works brilliantly with Aaron too.
avatar
Fundy
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 419
Join date : 2012-02-05

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Black Rider on Tue May 22, 2018 4:48 pm

My complaint with Deen is I want this to thrash and his vocals lose that affect. They aren't bad but I want THRASH vocals.
avatar
Black Rider
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3326
Join date : 2012-02-01
Location : Naches, Wa.

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by stevegarveyfan on Tue May 22, 2018 9:56 pm

This is the best I've heard Tourniquet sound in YEARS.  I actually enjoy both vocalists here.  Excellent job!
avatar
stevegarveyfan
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 572
Join date : 2012-03-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Sabbatharian on Tue May 22, 2018 10:02 pm

Love me some Chris Poland!  Metal 1
avatar
Sabbatharian
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 107
Join date : 2018-05-03
Age : 55

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by eatbugs on Wed May 23, 2018 2:19 am

This is the most consistent vocalist change I can think of.  When most bands change vocalists the whole sound changes.  This still sounds like Tourniquet.  

I agree with Airola, I hope Deen is the new Tourniquet singer, not part of a project-band vocalists by committee.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1384
Join date : 2012-08-28
Location : Michigan

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by My Awesome Timothy on Wed May 23, 2018 2:36 am

Having helped with the crowdfunding for this release which seems to have been a long time ago now I was beginning to lose interest... UNTIL NOW!  Amazing artwork, song, lyrics, vocals, music etc.... This has been worth the wait, am so excited for this!
avatar
My Awesome Timothy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1370
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Frozen Fire on Wed May 23, 2018 12:36 pm

Great track. Not really thrash but certainly a beefed up American power metal track. Dean sounds like Herbie from Sinbreed/Seventh Avenue! Surprising for sure!
avatar
Frozen Fire
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 114
Join date : 2015-09-02
Age : 39
Location : NE Ohio

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by eatbugs on Wed May 23, 2018 1:04 pm

My Awesome Timothy wrote:Having helped with the crowdfunding for this release which seems to have been a long time ago now I was beginning to lose interest... UNTIL NOW!  Amazing artwork, song, lyrics, vocals, music etc.... This has been worth the wait, am so excited for this!

My thoughts exactly.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1384
Join date : 2012-08-28
Location : Michigan

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Fundy on Wed May 23, 2018 2:04 pm

Really excited about this album, which is the first time I've felt like that about Tourniquet for quite a while.  Just hope they don't stray down the 'animal rights' path too much.  One song is fine, but more than that and I lose interest pretty quick.
avatar
Fundy
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 419
Join date : 2012-02-05

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Hardcore Christian on Wed May 23, 2018 7:37 pm

Wow that was actually really impressive!

First time I have been hyped for some new Tourniquet!

Hope Deen does the rest of the vox, he does an incredible job here
avatar
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 4054
Join date : 2013-07-31
Age : 18
Location : Spokane, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by strangerhoncho on Thu May 24, 2018 1:14 am

I guess I'm going to be the lone dissenting voice this time.  You guys are all nuts!

It's a good song for the style.  But it sounds nothing like Tourniquet.  Not like any version of Tourniquet ever.  It's basic melodic metal.  Standard, predictable song structure and tones.  Nothing unexpected, nothing weird, no varied tones, no fancy drumming...none of the things that made Tourniquet, Tourniquet.  The only way I'd ever suspect it was them if I heard it without knowing who it was would be Aaron's vocals in the beginning.

I wish them all the best, I'm glad they're still making music, I'm glad everyone else is happy with it, and I'll definitely check out the album when it comes out, but there's nothing in this song that my particular ears find interesting.

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 742
Join date : 2012-02-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by eatbugs on Thu May 24, 2018 2:23 am

strangerhoncho wrote:But it sounds nothing like Tourniquet.  Not like any version of Tourniquet ever.

I thought it sounds close - too close - to Perfect Night for a Hanging.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1384
Join date : 2012-08-28
Location : Michigan

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Airola on Thu May 24, 2018 6:10 am

strangerhoncho wrote:It's a good song for the style.  But it sounds nothing like Tourniquet.  Not like any version of Tourniquet ever.  It's basic melodic metal.  Standard, predictable song structure and tones.  Nothing unexpected, nothing weird, no varied tones, no fancy drumming...none of the things that made Tourniquet, Tourniquet.  The only way I'd ever suspect it was them if I heard it without knowing who it was would be Aaron's vocals in the beginning.

One thing I noticed too was that I didn't follow the drumming even nearly as much as in previous albums. I was kinda expecting something like what happens in the melodic part in the middle of Chart of the Elements (from Antiseptic Bloodbath). In that song that part was when I first thought "well that's Ted Kirkpatrick right there." I agree that this song doesn't really have those moments, at least not clearly to be heard during the first few listens. There are some interesting ghost notes on drums in the most straightforward chorus part. It's really hard to hear though. I have to use my headphones to hear them. But yeah, that's not a "oh that's Ted" thing either. And while there are other little things going on at different places they are all kinda buried and not nearly as noticeable as in previous albums.

But to say it doesn't sound like any version of Tourniquet ever isn't really true. What is your opinion of Restoring the Locust Years on WMARD? Wasn't that song kinda like this one, at least what comes to the classic heavy metal ironmaidenesque rhythm kind of stuff?
And isn't the middle part (which is later replicated with bass in the end) pretty much something that could've been on MVOATR?

Anyways, I agree with you that there really aren't that much clear Tourniquet-y things going on in this song, although I do find the main riff to be exactly the kind of stuff Ted would write when he's going for the groove (it has a bit of the same vibe what the best riffs on Vanishing Lessons and Crawl to China have).

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 580
Join date : 2012-02-01
Age : 36
Location : Finland

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by metaldude on Thu May 24, 2018 9:31 am

I'm a Tourniquet fan, so I'm in. It's nice to see a shift in lyrical content. I'm anxious to hear the rest.
avatar
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 2921
Join date : 2013-10-11
Age : 52
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by jaydeecrawson on Thu May 24, 2018 10:35 am

the cover looks like a video game character... logo too. way too HiRes video game-ish

jaydeecrawson
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Posts : 84
Join date : 2016-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Temple of Blood on Thu May 24, 2018 10:47 am

Song is pretty good.  Their best song in years.  Lead vocals are a HUGE improvement.

The arrangement is questionable, but this is Tourniquet after all.

The lyrics don't seem as good as normal though, and what's the point of a lyric video that only serve to emphasize the so-so lyrics?

Temple of Blood
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 964
Join date : 2012-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Black Rider on Thu May 24, 2018 11:01 am

Man we're harsh, one song and we have this pegged.  Very Happy
avatar
Black Rider
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 3326
Join date : 2012-02-01
Location : Naches, Wa.

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Sir Shred A Lot on Thu May 24, 2018 11:18 am

I actually like that this tune is shorter and doesn’t linger too long on any particular section. It has plenty of variety and never feels bogged down. The song ends and leaves me wanting to hear more, which is always a good sign for me.

I don’t know how someone could think that this doesn’t sound like Tourniquet. When Aaron’s vocals start, it definitely sounds like Tourniquet. The instrumental bridge in the middle sounds a lot like some of the bridges on the MVTR tunes, and the last 30 seconds definitely has the quirky Tourniquet rhythms.

Sir Shred A Lot
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 416
Join date : 2012-02-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Fundy on Thu May 24, 2018 12:13 pm

Black Rider wrote:Man we're harsh, one song and we have this pegged.  Very Happy
lol!
avatar
Fundy
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 419
Join date : 2012-02-05

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by strangerhoncho on Fri May 25, 2018 1:20 am

Airola wrote:
strangerhoncho wrote:It's a good song for the style.  But it sounds nothing like Tourniquet.  Not like any version of Tourniquet ever.  It's basic melodic metal.  Standard, predictable song structure and tones.  Nothing unexpected, nothing weird, no varied tones, no fancy drumming...none of the things that made Tourniquet, Tourniquet.  The only way I'd ever suspect it was them if I heard it without knowing who it was would be Aaron's vocals in the beginning.

One thing I noticed too was that I didn't follow the drumming even nearly as much as in previous albums. I was kinda expecting something like what happens in the melodic part in the middle of Chart of the Elements (from Antiseptic Bloodbath). In that song that part was when I first thought "well that's Ted Kirkpatrick right there." I agree that this song doesn't really have those moments, at least not clearly to be heard during the first few listens. There are some interesting ghost notes on drums in the most straightforward chorus part. It's really hard to hear though. I have to use my headphones to hear them. But yeah, that's not a "oh that's Ted" thing either. And while there are other little things going on at different places they are all kinda buried and not nearly as noticeable as in previous albums.

But to say it doesn't sound like any version of Tourniquet ever isn't really true. What is your opinion of Restoring the Locust Years on WMARD? Wasn't that song kinda like this one, at least what comes to the classic heavy metal ironmaidenesque rhythm kind of stuff?
And isn't the middle part (which is later replicated with bass in the end) pretty much something that could've been on MVOATR?

Anyways, I agree with you that there really aren't that much clear Tourniquet-y things going on in this song, although I do find the main riff to be exactly the kind of stuff Ted would write when he's going for the groove (it has a bit of the same vibe what the best riffs on Vanishing Lessons and Crawl to China have).

I listened again and yeah, the middle part is vaguely Tourniquet-y I suppose.  In the most boring way possible.  I think I'm mostly thrown off by the different guitar tone and Deen's vocals.  Which I actually prefer to Luke's BY FAR, but mainstream melodic metal vocals don't fit what Tourniquet is at its best:  a prog thrash/groove band.

I don't hear any musical similarity to Restoring the Locust Years, personally.  But I've only listened to WMARD a few times over the years because I found Luke's vocals too distracting and cartoonish on it (although I found him listenable on MVOATR and earlier albums, for some odd reason).

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 742
Join date : 2012-02-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by strangerhoncho on Fri May 25, 2018 1:22 am

Sir Shred A Lot wrote:I actually like that this tune is shorter and doesn’t linger too long on any particular section. It has plenty of variety and never feels bogged down. The song ends and leaves me wanting to hear more, which is always a good sign for me.

I don’t know how someone could think that this doesn’t sound like Tourniquet. When Aaron’s vocals start, it definitely sounds like Tourniquet. The instrumental bridge in the middle sounds a lot like some of the bridges on the MVTR tunes, and the last 30 seconds definitely has the quirky Tourniquet rhythms.

Yeah, I can hear all those things now.  I just think the more normal guitar tone and Deen's conventional vocals overpower everything else to my ears.

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 742
Join date : 2012-02-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Bahana on Fri May 25, 2018 11:06 am

Will Deen sing throughout the entire album?
avatar
Bahana
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Posts : 22
Join date : 2018-03-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Sir Shred A Lot on Fri May 25, 2018 2:43 pm

Bahana wrote:Will Deen sing throughout the entire album?

EDIT: I finally found Deen's other tweet, where he clearly states that this is the only song that he did for Tourniquet.

Based on what Deen himself has posted on Twitter, this is the only song he did: https://twitter.com/DeenTheDrummer/status/986010380425093120

On a related note, he actually revealed the song/album title on Twitter way back in March (not sure if Ted and Aaron knew that): https://twitter.com/DeenTheDrummer/status/975103091203751936

Someone showed me that back in April, but I didn't want to post it on public forums since I know that bands want to control the information that is released. I'm pretty sure that I know one or two other pieces of info about the album that haven't been announced, but I'll keep those secrets, too (unless someone offers me enough money - I can always be bought for the right price).  Very Happy


Last edited by Sir Shred A Lot on Fri May 25, 2018 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sir Shred A Lot
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 416
Join date : 2012-02-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Follower of Jesus on Fri May 25, 2018 4:01 pm

strangerhoncho wrote:I guess I'm going to be the lone dissenting voice this time.  You guys are all nuts!

It's a good song for the style.  But it sounds nothing like Tourniquet.  Not like any version of Tourniquet ever.  It's basic melodic metal.  Standard, predictable song structure and tones.  Nothing unexpected, nothing weird, no varied tones, no fancy drumming...none of the things that made Tourniquet, Tourniquet.  The only way I'd ever suspect it was them if I heard it without knowing who it was would be Aaron's vocals in the beginning.

I wish them all the best, I'm glad they're still making music, I'm glad everyone else is happy with it, and I'll definitely check out the album when it comes out, but there's nothing in this song that my particular ears find interesting.

That’s funny! I’ve never been a big Tourniquet fan; a big reason why being their prog tendencies. This song, being much more melodic, is right up my alley! I also think Deen’s vocals work very well here. I may be checking out my first Tourniquet record since Vanishing Lessons.
avatar
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1329
Join date : 2012-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Hardcore Christian on Fri May 25, 2018 11:30 pm

Sir Shred A Lot wrote:
Bahana wrote:Will Deen sing throughout the entire album?

EDIT: I finally found Deen's other tweet, where he clearly states that this is the only song that he did for Tourniquet.
Really disappointing

Now I am skeptical about this release Crying or Very sad
avatar
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 4054
Join date : 2013-07-31
Age : 18
Location : Spokane, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Fundy on Sat May 26, 2018 4:31 am

Nooo!  Deen's vocals were what sold it for me.  I know he makes them sound a bit unTourniquety (I just made that word up!) but I loved how it sounded.

I'll have to see what the other songs are like...
avatar
Fundy
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 419
Join date : 2012-02-05

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Sat May 26, 2018 7:15 am

I guess we will see plenty of singers in this album.
avatar
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1465
Join date : 2012-03-12
Age : 31
Location : São Paulo - Brazil

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by strangerhoncho on Sat May 26, 2018 12:57 pm

Thiago-Brazil wrote:I guess we will see plenty of singers in this album.

Which makes Tourniquet more of a project than a band, sadly.  Kinda like the Probot album Dave Grohl did years ago with a bunch of different metal singers.  But hopefully everyone will get some tracks they really love out of it no matter what style of singing they prefer.

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 742
Join date : 2012-02-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Ted Kirkpatrick on Sat May 26, 2018 1:32 pm

Hey guys - We've been totally blown away by the response to the music, the cover art, and the video!! Over 10,000 views on YouTube and only 4 thumbs down out of 729, plus so many cool comments. Can't possibly ask for a better response than that. Add the Facebook, Twitter, and now numerous secular sites response and we are beyond thrilled. Deen (who by the way is a real true Christian brother)was into doing the rest of the tunes, but we just ran out of time before he left for a world tour with The Dead Daisies. Of course, what he did is fantastic. He always kills it whether it's drums or vocals. As for "there will be lots of other vocalists" - no. And 100% guarantee rest of vox will be stellar. 

This album will instantly sound like Tourniquet to listeners - yet new - as the title track does. Title track alone has so many elements we are known for. Drum poly rhythms (ride cymbal/tom/kicks part near beginning), fast double kick parts (like twice as fast as Ark of Suffering for those keeping score at home) classical parts, leads (you'll hear more from the brilliant Chis Poland and longer lead sections!!), more Aaron vocals - I love his vocals on the title track and seems many fans do too!, melodic catchy chorus, weird quirky parts (end of song where middle classical part is broken into pieces and played on bass in alternating regular and speed picking sections, with the rhythms played by double bass triplets with matching guitar) and Christian message done in a unique way. Honestly, not sure how anyone who knows our music even a little could say this sounds nothing like Tourniquet. It's everything Tourniquet. Plus the production, which I feel is our best sounding yet. 

The tune is now available on iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, etc. - thanks and more updates very soon... Ted

Ted Kirkpatrick
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Posts : 41
Join date : 2012-07-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Sir Shred A Lot on Sat May 26, 2018 3:21 pm

Ted Kirkpatrick wrote:Hey guys - We've been totally blown away by the response to the music, the cover art, and the video!! Over 10,000 views on YouTube and only 4 thumbs down out of 729, plus so many cool comments. Can't possibly ask for a better response than that. Add the Facebook, Twitter, and now numerous secular sites response and we are beyond thrilled. Deen (who by the way is a real true Christian brother)was into doing the rest of the tunes, but we just ran out of time before he left for a world tour with The Dead Daisies. Of course, what he did is fantastic. He always kills it whether it's drums or vocals. As for "there will be lots of other vocalists" - no. And 100% guarantee rest of vox will be stellar. 

This album will instantly sound like Tourniquet to listeners - yet new - as the title track does. Title track alone has so many elements we are known for. Drum poly rhythms (ride cymbal/tom/kicks part near beginning), fast double kick parts (like twice as fast as Ark of Suffering for those keeping score at home) classical parts, leads (you'll hear more from the brilliant Chis Poland and longer lead sections!!), more Aaron vocals - I love his vocals on the title track and seems many fans do too!, melodic catchy chorus, weird quirky parts (end of song where middle classical part is broken into pieces and played on bass in alternating regular and speed picking sections, with the rhythms played by double bass triplets with matching guitar) and Christian message done in a unique way. Honestly, not sure how anyone who knows our music even a little could say this sounds nothing like Tourniquet. It's everything Tourniquet. Plus the production, which I feel is our best sounding yet. 

The tune is now available on iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, etc. - thanks and more updates very soon... Ted

Ted - Thanks for sharing this info and for continuing to make great music. I've been a fan from Day 1, having pre-ordered "Stop the Bleeding" on cassette from my local Christian bookstore back in 1990. I always look forward to a new Tourniquet album, and this time is no exception, especially after hearing the title track.

Sir Shred A Lot
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 416
Join date : 2012-02-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by TheOldMan2084 on Sat May 26, 2018 3:55 pm

I really like this track too. I like that it's a bit simpler and more melodic. It kind of reminds me of the Stop the Bleeding days. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album.
avatar
TheOldMan2084
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Posts : 164
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Sat May 26, 2018 6:29 pm

I can hear all those elements Ted listed above that remind us Tourniquet. But I also see that this song is more melodic. It doesn't mean it ain't Tourniquet.
To me, this is more of a evolution of band's sound.
avatar
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1465
Join date : 2012-03-12
Age : 31
Location : São Paulo - Brazil

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by heck on Sat May 26, 2018 11:30 pm

Great tune but can someone explain the metaphor to me? I don’t get it.

If I was gong to use the metaphor of medusa in a song it would be the idea that you just cant help doing something that will kill you (like the fantastic Enveloped in Python). But the rest of the Medusa song signals victory rather than a warning.

heck
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Posts : 66
Join date : 2017-03-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by jaydeecrawson on Sat May 26, 2018 11:41 pm

Ted should get Papa Emeritus to guest on a song or two!

jaydeecrawson
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Posts : 84
Join date : 2016-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Ted Kirkpatrick on Sat May 26, 2018 11:52 pm

The simple meaning is all in the lyrics... 

Cover your face - try to shield your eyes
Innocent deception is her disguise
Look upon her face - you will witness your demise
As you turn to stone – there will be no cries
The littered broken stone of those who came before
Who tried but failed – and lost the war
Who came to conquer – but her weapon ignored
Medusa…
 
She will turn you into stone
But a stronger one sits on the throne
You need only to be still
Trials come and trials go
He will fight your battle foe
Gazing at Medusa
Stare into her eyes – you’re free
Free for all eternity
Gazing at Medusa
 
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me
 
When my back’s against the wall
He will make sure I don’t fall
Victory is ours to grasp
So go ahead and gaze
Stare into her eyes ablaze
Gazing at Medusa
 
Philippians 4:13 – “I can do all things through him who strengthens me.”

Ted Kirkpatrick
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Posts : 41
Join date : 2012-07-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by FreeRangeBeliever on Sun May 27, 2018 12:12 am

I think it means that when we know who we are in Christ the things that used to seem impossible or something to really fear won't bother us anymore. Therefore staring down a monster that used to overpower us - such as Medusa will be possible with confidence.

The cover is possibly the best ever TQT cover! Love it!!
avatar
FreeRangeBeliever
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 528
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 47
Location : Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Airola on Sun May 27, 2018 6:08 am

I liked the lyrics a lot and thought they were quite clear and quite a clever way to use the concept of Medusa to explain sin and the redeemer of sin.

If you go towards whatever tempts you without understanding what it'll do to you, you will be annihilated.
But when you understand that going towards that has fatal consequences you understand you need help. And when you get help from Christ you can defeat whatever tempts you to sin. You can then look at the problem directly and understand the evil behind it and not worry about falling down, and then the problem will be defeated.

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 580
Join date : 2012-02-01
Age : 36
Location : Finland

Back to top Go down

Re: Tourniquet - Gazing at Medusa

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum