The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The SPOILER FREE all-purpose Star Wars thread

+11
Kerrick
oldschooldoom
Fundy
Staybrite
messiaen77
eatbugs
Andreas89
MikeInFla
alldatndensum
Hardcore Christian
New Creation
15 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The SPOILER FREE all-purpose Star Wars thread Empty The SPOILER FREE all-purpose Star Wars thread

Post by New Creation Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:07 pm

Use this thread for any and all Star Wars discussion. I request that we keep it spoiler free for any given movie until 1 week after discs are released.
New Creation
New Creation
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

The SPOILER FREE all-purpose Star Wars thread Empty Re: The SPOILER FREE all-purpose Star Wars thread

Post by New Creation Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:08 pm

Having now seen TLJ, I can rank them in order of my favorites

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. The Last Jedi
3. A New Hope
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Rogue One
6. The Force Awakens
7. Revenge of the Sith
8. The Phantom Menace
9. Attack of the Clones
New Creation
New Creation
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

The SPOILER FREE all-purpose Star Wars thread Empty Re: The SPOILER FREE all-purpose Star Wars thread

Post by Hardcore Christian Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:55 pm

I personally enjoy all the movies, the Prequels are definitely not masterpieces, but the world building and scope they give is what made me love the SW universe, and if not for them we would not have one of the best shows ever, in The Clone Wars

I personally liked The Last Jedi, but looking back The Force Awakens is kind of forgettable, Rogue One is definitely the best outing that Disney has had so far, I dont have my hopes up for the Han Solo movie

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of The Jedi
4. Rogue One
5. The Last Jedi
6. The Phantom Menace
7. The Force Awakens
8. Revenge of The Sith
9. Attack of the Clones
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:48 am

Rogue One is definitely the best outing that Disney has had so far, I dont have my hopes up for the Han Solo movie

I don't know.  I am almost banking on the Han Solo movie.  Why?  Disney knows that if they ruin this that the older fans are likely to bolt from any more Star Wars films.  Go to any entertainment news site and read the comments.  The older generation are tearing The Last Jedi to shreds but they seem to love Rogue One. Disney needs another blockbuster stand alone film to keep the original trilogy fans coming.  They know they can attract younger fans who don't care about the Skywalker family or those connected to it.  They need the Han Solo story  to feel like classic Star Wars, build Han's back story, and feel like it truly connects to the original trilogy so that the early fans will want to continue.

I think this was a big reason for bringing in Ron Howard.  While Howard has no sci-fi cred, he is an incredible storyteller who gives a lot of attention to details.  He's also young enough to have enjoyed the original trilogy and probably understands the cult icons status that these films have acheived.  Others may not feel the same, but I am going to bet that we wished that Howard had done one of the new trilogy films instead of Johnson or Jar-Jar Abrams.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:31 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Rogue One is definitely the best outing that Disney has had so far, I dont have my hopes up for the Han Solo movie

I don't know.  I am almost banking on the Han Solo movie.  Why?  Disney knows that if they ruin this that the older fans are likely to bolt from any more Star Wars films.  Go to any entertainment news site and read the comments.  The older generation are tearing The Last Jedi to shreds but they seem to love Rogue One. Disney needs another blockbuster stand alone film to keep the original trilogy fans coming.  They know they can attract younger fans who don't care about the Skywalker family or those connected to it.  They need the Han Solo story  to feel like classic Star Wars, build Han's back story, and feel like it truly connects to the original trilogy so that the early fans will want to continue.

I think this was a big reason for bringing in Ron Howard.  While Howard has no sci-fi cred, he is an incredible storyteller who gives a lot of attention to details.  He's also young enough to have enjoyed the original trilogy and probably understands the cult icons status that these films have acheived.  Others may not feel the same, but I am going to bet that we wished that Howard had done one of the new trilogy films instead of Johnson or Jar-Jar Abrams.
You know what, your right! It makes sense, people don't nescecarrily want the Han movie, but it will help feed the nostalgia on characters we know, just as Rogue One's best scenes were related to characters we knew
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:50 pm

You know what, your right!

I usually am!  lol! lol! lol! Just Joking Just Joking Just Joking
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:13 am

Looking forward to see what Ron Howard does with it. I have liked them all so far with "Clones" being OK but the weakest of the bunch. Rogue was pretty good as it is a stand alone and no sequel can be made.

Don't know if it is true or not but there is/was talk of an Obi-Wan movie and Ewan McGregor has intestert in the role. I think that would be cool.

Last Jedi was enjoyable. Without giving away ANYTHING in this thread I do believe some of the questions from this movie will be answered in the next movie.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:41 pm

Ewan said yesterday that no one has talked to him about an Obi Wan movie. I have a feeling he's just doing his best to cover because I can pretty much guarantee that Disney is making this film. I can feel it, I can sense it.

And they'd better call it Kenobi: A Star Wars Story!!!!!
New Creation
New Creation
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:57 pm

I enjoyed every SW movie from episode 1 to 7 to such an extent that they all could be counted among my favourite movies. Rogue One was also enjoyable, but felt more like a big budget fan fiction movie with some "aha"-moments.

I haven't seen episode 8 yet because it's a real nuisance to find movie theaters in Germany that show it in the original version, which means without dubbed German dialogue (a weird need of the German public that still seems incredibly childish to us). There are some possibilities in Berlin, but they aren't good options at the moment with my wife being pregnant and all. But sometimes they show the movie in English at the main station in Potsdam, so we are hoping for that now... Razz
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:35 pm

Andreas89 wrote:I enjoyed every SW movie from episode 1 to 7 to such an extent that they all could be counted among my favourite movies. Rogue One was also enjoyable, but felt more like a big budget fan fiction movie with some "aha"-moments.

I haven't seen episode 8 yet because it's a real nuisance to find movie theaters in Germany that show it in the original version, which means without dubbed German dialogue (a weird need of the German public that still seems incredibly childish to us). There are some possibilities in Berlin, but they aren't good options at the moment with my wife being pregnant and all. But sometimes they show the movie in English at the main station in Potsdam, so we are hoping for that now... Razz

You are in a safe place here, no spoilers. I really enjoyed it as did everybody I went with. My best friend enjoyed it as well and he is an extremely harsh critic of most movies.
New Creation
New Creation
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:57 pm

I had to go see it alone. Wife and kids were just not interested. First Star Wars movie I ever saw by myself! I liked it a lot.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:26 pm

MikeInFla wrote:I had to go see it alone. Wife and kids were just not interested. First Star Wars movie I ever saw by myself! I liked it a lot.

You bring up an interesting point. I too have never seen a Star Wars movie alone, not even in my own house! However, I have gone to the movie theater countless times by myself for other movies. It's one of my favorite things to do.
New Creation
New Creation
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:03 pm

I withhold all judgment on The Last Jedi until I've seen Episode IX.  The Last Jedi could be terrible or excellent depending on how the story arcs play out in the next movie.

Let's be fair on ranking them too.  Not trolling or trying to start a fight but our own criteria play in to how we rate them.  As a STAND ALONE movie The Empire Strikes Back is terrible.  The worst of the bunch except maybe Revenge of the Sith.  As a piece of the larger saga it is the most important one.  It is the glue that holds the entire saga together.  I'm also going to rate anything from the prequel trilogy low because I'm such a huge fan of the classic trilogy that anything that contradicts it is Star Wars heresy.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:25 pm

New Creation wrote:
MikeInFla wrote:I had to go see it alone. Wife and kids were just not interested. First Star Wars movie I ever saw by myself! I liked it a lot.

You bring up an interesting point. I too have never seen a Star Wars movie alone, not even in my own house! However, I have gone to the movie theater countless times by myself for other movies. It's one of my favorite things to do.
We have Force Awakens on BluRay. Got it for a Bday gift and didn't have a BluRay player so I went out and bought a cheap one (had been waiting for an excuse to get one). Lo and behold a year later and we have never watched it. No one wanted to sit and watch it with me.

Here is what I remember:

1977 - Saw Star Wars. I was 6. Saw it with 3 of my older brothers. Don't remember a whole lot about it other than when they asked me if I liked it I said "Yes, but Star Trek is still better".

Summer of 1980 - Saw Empire with my brother Tim. What I remember about this one is having to pee really bad and he wouldn't let me go afraid I might miss something spectacular. Love Empire.

Bought this on 45, probably the same summer:

Played that 45 over and over and over and over and over.... Loved it! Still think it's pretty cool although dated.

1983: Saw Jedi with some cousins while visiting them in Michigan.

Saw the trilogy in the late 80's or early 90's again in theaters with friends.

Saw the prequels with my son and wife.

Before Force Awakens had my daughter watch all 6 in order (not of release date but the prequel followed by the trilogy and I wish I would've had her watch Episode 4, 5 & 6 first now). She saw Force Awakens before me with her school. I saw it the next weekend with my wife. Wife didn't care for it at all.

Rogue One: Daughter saw it again with school, we saw it the next weekend. Wife didn't care for this either and said she was done.

Last Jedi: Saw alone because my wife and daughters did not want to go. Our son saw it the week before called to tell me how bad it was and I told him if he gave any spoilers I would hang up on him. So he didn't spoil it, just said it was "terrible and pointless".

So I saw it and actually loved it! Told my wife and daughters I liked it and they still were not interested.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:20 am

Alone is how I do most movies.  My wife and I don't share the same tastes in movies.  She didn't see a point for a new trilogy and wouldn't watch The Force Awakens either.  Not having but a few acquaintances and almost no real-time friends, I do most things alone.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by messiaen77 Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:57 am

eatbugs wrote:I withhold all judgment on The Last Jedi until I've seen Episode IX.  The Last Jedi could be terrible or excellent depending on how the story arcs play out in the next movie.

Let's be fair on ranking them too.  Not trolling or trying to start a fight but our own criteria play in to how we rate them.  As a STAND ALONE movie The Empire Strikes Back is terrible.  The worst of the bunch except maybe Revenge of the Sith.  As a piece of the larger saga it is the most important one.  It is the glue that holds the entire saga together.  I'm also going to rate anything from the prequel trilogy low because I'm such a huge fan of the classic trilogy that anything that contradicts it is Star Wars heresy.
I feel exactly the same way about Empire.  It's a collection of important plot points that gets us to Return, but as a movie I thought it was incredibly boring.
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:53 am

As for the Han Solo movie, I'm not too giddy about it. Since it is about his life pre-episode 4, I don't think there will be much space for character development. He started out as a fairly flat character, and there's not many ways the makers of the upcoming movie can make something good and credible out of that.

The only viable option I can think of is some kind of tough guy movie in the Star Wars universe. But that may be too macho for Hollywood's tastes Laughing
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:56 pm

Andreas89 wrote:As for the Han Solo movie, I'm not too giddy about it. Since it is about his life pre-episode 4, I don't think there will be much space for character development. He started out as a fairly flat character, and there's not many ways the makers of the upcoming movie can make something good and credible out of that.

The only viable option I can think of is some kind of tough guy movie in the Star Wars universe. But that may be too macho for Hollywood's tastes Laughing

Well, we will get to see some scenery. Definitely some cantinas and poker games and a young Lando. Hopefully we'll get to see the actual poker game where the Falcon was won. Perhaps even when he meets Chewie.
New Creation
New Creation
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:52 pm

We also need to see the infamous Kessel Run. Seeing Han drop his load to prevent being boarded by the Empire would be cool as well. He was smuggling Spice, a Star Wars narcotic, for Jabba. Spoce was illegal in the Empire. I wonder how folks will like it to find out that their hero was a drug runner.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:34 am

There are enough fun things that can be done indeed, based off the in-movie information of the original trilogy. I'm just hoping for a trustworthy Han Solo character; that's the most difficult thing about this movie IMO.
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:28 am

Hey do you guys have Netflix? Of course you do! When you have time watch the first episode of "The Toys That Made Us". It is fantastic!!!! The first episode is about Kenner and Star Wars toys.

Interesting to know Mattell, Parker Brothers, Hasbro and all the toy companies turned down Star Wars. Kenner was the only company that would agree to make the toys. Kenner got 95 cents of every dollar and the remaining 5 cents was split between Lucas and 20th Century Fox.

They discuss all of the Star Wars toys including the hilarious bootleg toys that are out there. And you'd be surprised to know what the original Jawa poncho was made of!! LOL!

Here is the trailer but it covers all of the episodes not just Star Wars (and I think there are only 3 episodes right now but more will be made). Episode 1 is the one you want to see.

MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:40 pm

MikeInFla wrote:Hey do you guys have Netflix? Of course you do! When you have time watch the first episode of "The Toys That Made Us". It is fantastic!!!! The first episode is about Kenner and Star Wars toys.
I will watch this probably later today! Thanks for helping me find this, super cool! Surprised

They have episodes on G.I. Joe and He Man, will for sure watch those as well, I hope they make a Transformers one bounce
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:35 pm

I might have to check that out!
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:52 am

Hey so I did find out that on The Toys That Made Us, the remaining episodes will feature: Star Trek, Transformers, Lego, and Hello Kitty
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:31 am

Yeah, I finished up Star Wars and started the GI Joe episode and I noticed in the theme song it mentioned there would be 8 episodes. The Star Wars stuff was cool. I knew Hasbro bought out Kenner and didn't realize they messed up the sweet $$ deal they had lol with Star Wars stuff.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next