The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Punk

+5
Machine Fish
srguenther
Hardcore Christian
Stender
WildWorld
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Punk - Page 2 Empty Re: Punk

Post by d@v!d Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:08 am

I enjoy good satire and parodies.
A couple bands not mentioned are The Dickies and The Vandals. I don't listen to them much anymore as I don't care for the vulgarities.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:18 am

dont forget the melvins too

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:21 pm

Aaron C wrote:

Genres are ok it helps idenifity the flavor of music I just dont get hung up on them.

Exactly! Thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:23 pm

Good call on the Dickies! Another band I like.

In fact, here are a few I missed from my original post that I am a fan of:

The Dickies
Dead Kennedys
The Dead Milkmen
Ramones (can't believe I forgot this classic band)
Descendants
Black Flag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:22 am

Tad
Bad Brains
Scream

I would include Dain Bramage in here but they dont sound punk at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by srguenther Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:49 am

RavenWolf wrote:
srguenther wrote:

6. Weezer (early stuff was Pop Punk)
ummm.......no.  MXPX and Slick Shoes were pop punk.  I have all weezer albums and they were never a punk band.....that said the blue album is my fav....

You're right. Not sure why I was thinking that. I mean ... I guess it's because the "Blue Album" does have a bit of Pop Punk on it ... but not enough to consider it a Pop Punk album. I stand corrected.
I gotta be honest I don't hear any punk on there ....but it's also hard to believe that Blondie, the police, and the talking heads were all considered punk in the early days of the genre....

I can't believe I forgot to mention ALL! ALLroy's revenge and mass nerder are great albums....
I have also been getting into cow punk band tumbledown - Mike Herrera's post mxpx band...

srguenther
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:05 am

srguenther wrote:
RavenWolf wrote:
srguenther wrote:

6. Weezer (early stuff was Pop Punk)
ummm.......no.  MXPX and Slick Shoes were pop punk.  I have all weezer albums and they were never a punk band.....that said the blue album is my fav....

You're right. Not sure why I was thinking that. I mean ... I guess it's because the "Blue Album" does have a bit of Pop Punk on it ... but not enough to consider it a Pop Punk album. I stand corrected.
I gotta be honest I don't hear any punk on there ....but it's also hard to believe that Blondie, the police, and the talking heads were all considered punk in the early days of the genre....

I can't believe I forgot to mention ALL! ALLroy's revenge and mass nerder are great albums....
I have also been getting into cow punk band tumbledown - Mike Herrera's post mxpx band...
You are aware of the distinction between punk and hardcore, right?
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by srguenther Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:15 am

Yes punk is mxpx, greenday, offspring, bad religion, slick shoes, crashdog, and stuff like that.
Hardcore is unashamed, strong arm, niv (awesome live band!) Figure four, once blind, and stuff like that....

Last edited by srguenther on Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total

srguenther
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:55 pm

Cowpunk is a great subgenre of Punk! I love it!

Meat Puppets and Violent Femmes (second album is Cowpunk) are two of my faves from this genre! I need to get more stuff though ...

I also like Folk Punk and Celtic Punk!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:54 pm

Thanks to the thread, I'm about to crank some good old school Punk Rock!!

The Clash

Punk - Page 2 TheClashLondonCallingalbumcover

Back to top Go down

Post by Stender Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:05 pm

srguenther wrote:Yes punk is mxpx, greenday, offspring, bad religion, slick shoes, crashdog, and stuff like that.
Hardcover is unashamed, strong arm, niv (awesome live band!) Figure four, once blind, and stuff like that....

There is 80s hardcore which is usually associated with bands like black flag, circle jerks, minor threat, and bad brains and bands from that era. 90's hardcore is stuff like you mentioned above. Just for clarification because Sick of it all and Cro mags sounds nothing like Minor threat.
Stender
Stender
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:00 pm

Stender, you are correct! Here's what my home site, RYM says:

Hardcore Punk (often referred to as simply Hardcore) is a derivation of Punk Rock that appeared during the late 1970s and early 1980s. Hardcore initially borrowed much from Punk's original music framework and energy and made it faster, heavier and more aggressive, while retaining Punk's anti-establishment image and DIY ethics/practices. Other common characteristics include an extensive use of yelling and/or screaming, a stripped-down style of production (also inherited from many earlier Punk acts) and the prevalence of short-length songs.

Hardcore Punk has been associated with the releases of independently-run record labels such as Dischord Records, SST Records, and Alternative Tentacles, and acts such as Adolescents, Bad Brains, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Dead Kennedys, Fear, The Germs, Minor Threat, and Scream. While in its beginnings the genre was mainly a phenomenon rooted in the American underground music circuit, the term has also been applied to the works of non-U.S. bands from this era. These include D.O.A. from Canada; Discharge, G.B.H. and Rudimentary Peni from the United Kingdom and a Japanese Hardcore scene represented by groups like G.I.S.M. and The Stalin.

The genre would eventually splinter into other subgenres and derivative forms in a similar manner as Punk Rock did, some of which still remain rooted in the original Hardcore style. The interest of several Hardcore Punk musicians in various Metal genres played an important role in the creation of various new styles, exemplified by Crossover Thrash, Crust Punk, Grindcore, Metalcore, and New York Hardcore. The dissatisfaction of various Hardcore-rooted and associated musicians by the constraints of the genre and their growing attention for diverse forms of music (including Jazz, Experimental Rock, Dub, Funk and Post-Punk) derived in the creation of Post-Hardcore, which sought to experiment with the Hardcore template and dynamics. The focus given by some bands to melodic exploration would result in Melodic Hardcore. Beatdown Hardcore would be the result of much more slower tempos and increased breakdowns.

Although Hardcore Punk has mantained cult status for most of its existence, it has been seminal for the development of several other (and more popular) genres, many of them outside of Punk Rock. Examples include Grunge, Pop Punk, Sludge Metal, Riot Grrrl, Alternative Metal and Thrash Metal (itself an influence for several Hardcore Punk styles).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love me some Hardcore Punk! It might actually even by my favorite sub-genre of Punk Rock itself!

Back to top Go down

Post by Stender Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:22 pm

RavenWolf wrote:Stender, you are correct! Here's what my home site, RYM says:

Hardcore Punk (often referred to as simply Hardcore) is a derivation of Punk Rock that appeared during the late 1970s and early 1980s. Hardcore initially borrowed much from Punk's original music framework and energy and made it faster, heavier and more aggressive, while retaining Punk's anti-establishment image and DIY ethics/practices. Other common characteristics include an extensive use of yelling and/or screaming, a stripped-down style of production (also inherited from many earlier Punk acts) and the prevalence of short-length songs.

Hardcore Punk has been associated with the releases of independently-run record labels such as Dischord Records, SST Records, and Alternative Tentacles, and acts such as Adolescents, Bad Brains, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Dead Kennedys, Fear, The Germs, Minor Threat, and Scream. While in its beginnings the genre was mainly a phenomenon rooted in the American underground music circuit, the term has also been applied to the works of non-U.S. bands from this era. These include D.O.A. from Canada; Discharge, G.B.H. and Rudimentary Peni from the United Kingdom and a Japanese Hardcore scene represented by groups like G.I.S.M. and The Stalin.

The genre would eventually splinter into other subgenres and derivative forms in a similar manner as Punk Rock did, some of which still remain rooted in the original Hardcore style. The interest of several Hardcore Punk musicians in various Metal genres played an important role in the creation of various new styles, exemplified by Crossover Thrash, Crust Punk, Grindcore, Metalcore, and New York Hardcore. The dissatisfaction of various Hardcore-rooted and associated musicians by the constraints of the genre and their growing attention for diverse forms of music (including Jazz, Experimental Rock, Dub, Funk and Post-Punk) derived in the creation of Post-Hardcore, which sought to experiment with the Hardcore template and dynamics. The focus given by some bands to melodic exploration would result in Melodic Hardcore. Beatdown Hardcore would be the result of much more slower tempos and increased breakdowns.

Although Hardcore Punk has mantained cult status for most of its existence, it has been seminal for the development of several other (and more popular) genres, many of them outside of Punk Rock. Examples include Grunge, Pop Punk, Sludge Metal, Riot Grrrl, Alternative Metal and Thrash Metal (itself an influence for several Hardcore Punk styles).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love me some Hardcore Punk! It might actually even by my favorite sub-genre of Punk Rock itself!

Great summary, what is your site called?
Stender
Stender
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:53 pm

It's not my site. I'm just a part of it. LOL. It's called Rate Your Music. Great place. I go there every day. I am not a big fan of their forum though.

Here's my homepage. Add me if you want! It's free to sign up! It's a great way to keep track of your collection and to experience new genres and bands! They have a great recommendation system, in which I've discovered countless bands. I also love their chart system! You can check and see highest rated albums ... any genres ... any times.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~syntheticwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Stender Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:21 pm

RavenWolf wrote:It's not my site. I'm just a part of it. LOL. It's called Rate Your Music. Great place. I go there every day. I am not a big fan of their forum though.

Here's my homepage. Add me if you want! It's free to sign up! It's a great way to keep track of your collection and to experience new genres and bands! They have a great recommendation system, in which I've discovered countless bands. I also love their chart system! You can check and see highest rated albums ... any genres ... any times.

Sick, yeah i've heard of rate your music before. I guess I didn't catch the abbreviation, maybe I'll check it out.
Stender
Stender
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by srguenther Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:57 am

d@v!d wrote:You are aware of the distinction between punk and hardcore, right?
....still not exactly sure why I was asked....?

srguenther
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:51 pm

Punk Rock has MANY sub-genres. Hardcore Punk is one of them. It's ALL Punk Rock though!!!

Metal 2  Metal 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:35 pm

Stender wrote:
RavenWolf wrote:It's not my site. I'm just a part of it. LOL. It's called Rate Your Music. Great place. I go there every day. I am not a big fan of their forum though.

Sick, yeah i've heard of rate your music before. I guess I didn't catch the abbreviation, maybe I'll check it out.
Its a good site

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:38 pm

I've checked out RYM before but am definitely more a fan of http://www.discogs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:56 pm

I guess Discogs is an alternative to Rate Your Music. I never could seem to get into Discogs though. Not sure why. I like the overall layout and tools of Rate Your Music far better I guess. Does Discogs even have a chart system? Can you rate your music there and get recommendations that are very accurate for your taste? I could never give this up. RYM is hands down my fave music site online. You can even keep track of your collection there! Can you do that at Discogs?

Anyway ... I think a lot of folks would like RYM if they would just give it a chance to work for them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Snert I Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:35 pm

bjorn agin wrote:My tastes in punk are a bit more eclectic..

Flatfoot 56 are great. Some time ago I got Black Thorn - and I thought "How could I've missed this for many years?" I knew them by name, but I wrongly pigeonholed them.

Snert I
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:47 pm

Cranking me some Punk!

Punk - Page 2 The-Offspring-2013

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackCowl Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:15 am

Agatghocles, aus rotten, Capitalist Casualties, code 13, destroy!, crass, stiff little fingers, old black flag, 7 seconds, etc....
BlackCowl
BlackCowl
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2