The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did you ever realize how much of the music you love just simply sucks?

+23
messiaen77
WildWorld
Samson
Believer12
sentient 6
Candlemass
6stringgrind
strype53
d@v!d
Blake
MikeInFla
jusma
timekeeper
alldatndensum
JPK72
eatbugs
Friday13th
pathogenics_cloned_twin83
Soldier777
metaldude
Temple of Blood
grandeped
deathisgain
27 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Did you ever realize how much of the music you love just simply sucks? - Page 5 Empty Re: Did you ever realize how much of the music you love just simply sucks?

Post by Guest Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:07 pm

Thanks for all the recommendations... Can't wait to get home and check them out

Back to top Go down

Did you ever realize how much of the music you love just simply sucks? - Page 5 Empty Re: Did you ever realize how much of the music you love just simply sucks?

Post by Guest Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:38 am

He Already Left wrote:Thiago, 

I have always liked talking with you in the forum, so this isn't personal. But I gotta tell you, I really don't understand some of your responses to my comment. 

"A" level bands in the secular world are not the same as what is considered A level talent in Christian music. Most "A" level Christian bands are usually considered no more than B level or C level talent in the secular world. 

Anyway, you can disagree all you want..that's what a forum is about.

To go one step further...I now think a lot of rock / metal (secular or Christian)  is inferior music when compared to the big picture. This was actually where my mind was when I started off this thread.

Having finally taken the time to broaden my world and listen to some jazz, orchestra pieces and some classic music, I find there is an element in that style that makes me view a lot of rock and metal as nothing more than annoying noise. Like a child banging on pots and pans.

Not saying I will stop listening to or even loving some rock / metal bands, I'm just saying that even though I still like a lot of it I no longer believe it is a superior form of music.
Well, I wouldn't say that metal is superior...

I would just say that jazz and other stuff just don't make my boat float. Good you are discovering new styles, though.

Regarding my last comments, I just thought some of your arguments fits in the context "Level A" bands versus other level bands, instead Secular metal versus Christian metal. I mean, a different context. 
I see now that you consider any christian band at a level no higher than "level B", but this is not necessarily a true statement, is based on your opinion.

Anyway, just as you had, I guess I have made my opinion pretty clear: Big band is not a synonym of better band.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:58 am

Just keep in mind that I used the phrasing "a lot of" throughout my conversation.......

I never said "all"...

So there are bands that I believe are the exception

Back to top Go down

Post by messiaen77 Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:13 am

Rock is a really simple genre musically speaking until you get into proggy styles.  I don't say that as a negative, just a reality.  It developed as a practical music--dance music.  That seems to be an overriding idea--music that exists for its own purpose is more complex than music that exists for something else.  Even in jazz, look at the difference between say swing like Glen Miller or Benny Goodman (even to a large degree Ellington and Basie) vs. bebop like Bird and Dizzy.  The swing is much simpler music at least in part because it was created to give people something to dance to whereas bebop developed at a time when nightclub owners were replacing their dance floors with additional seating because they realized that more butts in seats buying drinks would make them more money and that the having a big empty space was really lost revenue.  Even in classical music, you have the "light classics" and then you have the Bachs and Beethovens.  Even Mozart, who as a melodic genius is perhaps the most accessible of the great masters, could create complex frameworks for those tuneful melodies and present them in some creative and clever ways.
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:07 am

messiaen77 wrote:Rock is a really simple genre musically speaking until you get into proggy styles.  I don't say that as a negative, just a reality.  It developed as a practical music--dance music.  That seems to be an overriding idea--music that exists for its own purpose is more complex than music that exists for something else.  Even in jazz, look at the difference between say swing like Glen Miller or Benny Goodman (even to a large degree Ellington and Basie) vs. bebop like Bird and Dizzy.  The swing is much simpler music at least in part because it was created to give people something to dance to whereas bebop developed at a time when nightclub owners were replacing their dance floors with additional seating because they realized that more butts in seats buying drinks would make them more money and that the having a big empty space was really lost revenue.  Even in classical music, you have the "light classics" and then you have the Bachs and Beethovens.  Even Mozart, who as a melodic genius is perhaps the most accessible of the great masters, could create complex frameworks for those tuneful melodies and present them in some creative and clever ways.

Very good insight...thanks for posting

Back to top Go down

Post by Throne of thorns Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:17 pm

messiaen77 wrote:Rock is a really simple genre musically speaking until you get into proggy styles.  I don't say that as a negative, just a reality.  It developed as a practical music--dance music.  That seems to be an overriding idea--music that exists for its own purpose is more complex than music that exists for something else.  Even in jazz, look at the difference between say swing like Glen Miller or Benny Goodman (even to a large degree Ellington and Basie) vs. bebop like Bird and Dizzy.  The swing is much simpler music at least in part because it was created to give people something to dance to whereas bebop developed at a time when nightclub owners were replacing their dance floors with additional seating because they realized that more butts in seats buying drinks would make them more money and that the having a big empty space was really lost revenue.  Even in classical music, you have the "light classics" and then you have the Bachs and Beethovens.  Even Mozart, who as a melodic genius is perhaps the most accessible of the great masters, could create complex frameworks for those tuneful melodies and present them in some creative and clever ways.
Nice post. You seen whiplash? No nothing to do with Metallica or metal..... I imagine you have if not see it great movie. It is about a jazz drummer and his teacher and it is pretty intense.
Throne of thorns
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by buddypng Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:50 pm

I liked whiplash a lot. Great movie, really opened my mind to what serious musicians go through to get to the top

buddypng
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Throne of thorns Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:13 pm

buddypng wrote:I liked whiplash a lot. Great movie, really opened my mind to what serious musicians go through to get to the top
Yeah the serious ones like that for sure. It's a whole nother< (that even a word) level from playing in your usual rock band. Nothing wrong with rock though just to be clear! But those kind of musicians Serious Jazz and classical players are on whole other planet and to live on it you have to devote your life!
Throne of thorns
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:08 pm

Besides hearing many good things about this movie, I hadn't had the opportunity to watch it so far.

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:08 pm

Guest wrote:As a fan of 80's metal, especially Christian, I have collected a lot of the "major" releases, independent releases, and of course demo recordings, over the years. Going though some of them yesterday, I stopped and thought for a minute about how much a lot of the music I like actually just really really sucks.

I guess I always graded it with a skewed view because they were Christian and because there was so little out there that I was desperate to find more. Thereby, I kind of forced myself into liking inferior music.

But man....so much of it is just bad. 

The demos I have, for the most part, showcase bands that never made it for a reason. They stink. There are obviously some exceptions, like Irish, but not many. Yet I constantly hunted for these demos.....sometimes spending weeks looking for one or two in particular.

Even some of the "major" releases are just garbage. There are so few bands with talent, bands like Stryper, Whitecross, and Bloodgood are far and few between. But for every decent band like that, you have a bunch of bands like Tempest that should simply never have been allowed in the studio. 

It's just funny how my tastes have changed soooo much recently. I find myself getting pickier and pickier about the 80's stuff I tolerate.

Of course, I have been getting into classical and orchestra music a lot recently too...almost exclusively...so maybe my tastes are going to continue to change to the point where I don't like metal/hard rock at all. Who knows? I still like new Stryper, GX, Armageddon USA, Worldview, etc....so maybe I will at least hold on to those bands.

Anyone else go through this radical of a change?

The story goes that the wrong Tempest was contacted but by the time the label realized they signed the wrong band it was too late.  The other Christian Tempest is very interesting and a bit like old Watchtower or something.  But yeah the other one is not very good.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:12 pm

Guest wrote:

Even back in the 80s, certain Christian artists that we consider great I was embarrassed of when my friends heard them because they were so weak vocally compared to bands like Ratt, Motley, Def Leppard, Maiden, etc etc. Bands like Jerusalem, Daniel Band, Bride, Saint, these are all bands that I loved but were viewed to be a lot better by myself (and a lot of Christians) than they really are.

I disagree that Jerusalem were overrated.  I just discovered them this year and think they are great, and I have heard about 2.7 zillion metal albums in my life.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:18 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Guest wrote:

Even back in the 80s, certain Christian artists that we consider great I was embarrassed of when my friends heard them because they were so weak vocally compared to bands like Ratt, Motley, Def Leppard, Maiden, etc etc. Bands like Jerusalem, Daniel Band, Bride, Saint, these are all bands that I loved but were viewed to be a lot better by myself (and a lot of Christians) than they really are.

I disagree that Jerusalem were overrated.  I just discovered them this year and think they are great, and I have heard about 2.7 zillion metal albums in my life.
I think most of those bands can stand against most of their secular counterparts. And I listen to both secular and Christian music, and heard the secular counterparts for the most part before I ever heard the Christian ones. To be honest, a LOT of Christian bands are better than Mötley Crüe. And Ratt and Mötley are hardly bands I would lift up as vocally strong. Bride, on the other hand, is vocally extremely strong.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5