The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maylene and the sons of disaster

+4
MegaNorm64
Candlemass
F1R3PR00F
lhversaw
8 posters

Go down

Maylene and the sons of disaster Empty Maylene and the sons of disaster

Post by lhversaw Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:01 pm

Does anyone like this Southern Metal band?  I really like them quite a bit but am curious why a Christian band would take their name from a legend of criminals?
lhversaw
lhversaw
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Maylene and the sons of disaster Empty Re: Maylene and the sons of disaster

Post by F1R3PR00F Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:06 pm

I used to like a bit of their earlier stuff. I don't really think they consider themselves a Christian band but many of their early lyrics relate to the story of Maylene and her sons.  I haven't really kept up wtih them since their second album. I saw this last year though and found it very questionable...
F1R3PR00F
F1R3PR00F
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:40 pm

I believe the vocalist grew up hearing stories about Maylene and her sons. Beyond that, I don't know. I might recall something about how God's justice always prevails?

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:12 pm

Yea, you probably could've left that vid out... affraid
Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MegaNorm64 Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:53 pm

Haha, that video was pretty neat. I haven't listened to Maylene in a long time but, I don't remember them ever being that hardcore about their Christianity. They're a good band though.
MegaNorm64
MegaNorm64
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by L8T Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:11 am

Other than this song.....I don't care....But, I LOVE this song!!!

L8T
L8T
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf the White Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:32 am

No problem with either video. this is a band I've always liked and never got around to buying much of.

Just to throw it out there:

"What has always struck me about the Ma Barker story is how much it symbolizes the idea of 'what goes around, comes around.' Divine justice is unavoidable. When I was a kid, I would see re-enactments of the Barker shooting in Ocala every year with my Grandpa, and it was as if Ma Barker and her sons were still screaming their story to anyone who would listen. Maylene And The Sons Of Disaster is made up of five dudes who play the role of the Barker sons, and in these songs we speak as though we were them, telling any who would listen that a life lived unjustly will meet divine justice on the other side. We also wanted to think of the most crazy backwoods theme possible for this band. Since Ma was backwoods, and we are backwoods, this is the way it had to be."
from http://web.archive.org/web/20071112051720/http://www.virb.com/mayleneandthesonsofdisaster

And:

"I'm big on beliefs, but it's more about being a real person, and caring for people. That's how I share the love of God. Some of the bands in the Christian scene kind of drive me crazy, because it's all about how much can you ram your believes down people's throats. When I was growing up, Christian music was not very well accepted."
from http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/2012/01/maylene_sons_disaster_intervie.php?page=2

And of course:
For us our faith is what makes us. We believe in showing our fans respect and kindness. I love it when bands minister, as long as their lifestyle off the stage lives up to their life on stage. Nowadays it is kinda clich in some markets to be a Christian band but being that in itself is hard and sometimes can put a bull's eye on your back. It is not an easy thing sometimes, but no one is perfect. But living to the standards of what you preach and talk about is a big deal and something we chose to do everyday.
from http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/maylene_and_the_sons_of_disaster_speak_out.html
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkFireDragoon Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:56 am

Always enjoyed me some Maylene. I remember seeing the video for "Tough as John Jacobs" when it first came out and not being quite sure what to think.

...It grew on me Twisted Evil

...Well... it grew on me a little Razz Do enjoy the song though.

Definitely some good tunes to be found in the band's catalogue.
DarkFireDragoon
DarkFireDragoon
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkfVdrtLcRs

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:25 pm

Ive met these guys multiple times, my family is in the "thank you" linings for the album III (3)

They have even parked they van over at my grandparents house and ate dinner with us then the next day i rode on the tour bus with them to Boise

you could say I know them pretty well  Razz

I saw them last month in Portland for the first time  in two years
Jasin Todd from Shinedown had joined their ranks and plans on helping produce their next album later this year

Dallas Taylor (the lead singer) [ex-Underoath] is one of the most honest guys I've ever met
He is very down to earth

IMO

Their newer videos are made by the record label Ferret which was bought by Warner Bros
Listen Close (the video for that song) is pretty wierd too

They quite playing for 2 years to ditch Warner Bros so they didnt have a longer recording contract FYI
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down