The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

100 greatest Christian Rock guitarists

+17
metaldude
eatbugs
Hardcore Christian
Gandalf the White
alldatndensum
Mang67
oteis
ludey7
oldschooldoom
Temple of Blood
L8T
Friday13th
Superjuice
cailen
Mr Lynch
Soldier777
bjorn agin
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

100 greatest Christian Rock guitarists - Page 2 Empty Re: 100 greatest Christian Rock guitarists

Post by Friday13th Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:38 am

John Michael Talbot's Christmas album is the tradition at my house. Great non-rock, classical-inspired music!
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

100 greatest Christian Rock guitarists - Page 2 Empty Re: 100 greatest Christian Rock guitarists

Post by eatbugs Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:07 pm

Lists like this are at least half popularity contest.  Many have already pointed out glaring omissions to the list.  Also, Dana Key is a great vocalist and songwriter, (D&K was one of my favorite bands in high school) but I didn't think he was on anyone's list as a guitar virtuoso.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by L8T Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:59 pm

^Dana Key, on guitar, has Always "spoken" to me, in a way, that Very few guitarists have.......Probably Peter Frampton, on his ST LP, from 93'......

When I think of DK, I think of his guitar....Then, his vocals......

Just my perspective.
L8T
L8T
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:58 am

I respect that.  It's what makes art art (does that make sense?).  I just disagree on his place on this list with so many more talented people who were left off.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:54 am

Just my opinion,  but that list had a little too much "good 'ol days" syndrome to it. We have two members here who should be on that list. Dean Wells (Teramaze) and Derek Corzine (Whisper From Heaven,  Blood Thirsty,  Syringe). Both are absolute shredders.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by thisundyingfire Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:38 am

Needs more BORUD!
100 greatest Christian Rock guitarists - Page 2 10710729_10152268888616612_8900712484942605004_n
thisundyingfire
thisundyingfire
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by messiaen77 Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:31 am

Just curious, does anyone else think Michael is a better player than Oz?  That one struck me as odd.
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe C Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:29 pm

Mr Lynch wrote:OK here we go....
Not in order but these are my favorite Christian metal guitarists.
John Mahan, Dee Harrington, Jerry Johnson, Matt Smith, and Josh Kramer.
Then there's all the other guys....

And who are your favorite Christian metal drummers?

Too many to name? Laughing
Joe C
Joe C
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:02 am

Soldier777 wrote:
Neal Morse should be ranked higher than 56, but then again he is more of an arranger and music writer/composer. I don't understand why Bob Hartman is #13, ranked higher than greater guitar players like Dennis Cameron, Joshua Perahia, Greg Bishop, Bruce Swift, Michael Sweet, Oz Fox, Rick Restrom, etc. Tony Palacios and Rex Carroll is ranked higher than Chris Impellitteri? Seriously? Chris should be number 2. He is known as the second fastest guitar player overall in rock music.

I'm not sure how much weight should be given to these rankings. I'm sure there are other guitar players that should be there like Mike Philips of Deliverance, Chuck King of Idle Cure and Shout, and many more.

I was going to post this where I saw this this morning but someone beat me to it.
I agree with you. Even though Bob is a good basis guitarrist, he is not that good on solos, and as we are regarding rock, it is very important. He shouldn't be in better position than those you compared to. And I have the same feeling about troy Thompson. Ha have already said that he can't play solos, so how is he holding a #23 position?

No one mentioned it here, but I don't think that George Uchoa is a better Guitarrist than Jimmy Brown. Also, the list is missing Mike Phillips, Chuck King, Dee Harrington, and a few others.

Regarding Chris Impelliteri X Rex Carroll, Impellitteri is faster, though I prefer Rex Carroll, As his solos have a lot of feelings in it while Chris kind of lack it. Guitar solos is not all about fastness.

Generally speaking, is very hard to make such a huge list including all guitar players involved in christian rock, which is a broad term. So, that's why there are so many mistakes and questionable positions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:06 am

messiaen77 wrote:Just curious, does anyone else think Michael is a better player than Oz?  That one struck me as odd.
Yes, I do. Oz is a bit overrated as guitar a player in my opinion. If he wasn't on Stryper, he wouldn't be in #29 position. And neither would michael be the #16.

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:26 am

Thiago-Brazil wrote:
messiaen77 wrote:Just curious, does anyone else think Michael is a better player than Oz?  That one struck me as odd.
Yes, I do. Oz is a bit overrated as guitar a player in my opinion. If he wasn't on Stryper, he wouldn't be in #29 position. And neither would michael be the #16.
I know Slash would never make any best guitarists any lists if he wasn't in Guns 'n' Roses.  Hey, wait a minute!

How come this isn't 2 pages anymore?
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by zelote Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:17 pm

Listen the guitar solo by Tony Palacios in the new Ted Kiekpatrick record, on the song Drowing in Air....  Is just insane....

zelote
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:58 pm

zelote wrote:Listen the guitar solo by Tony Palacios in the new Ted Kiekpatrick record, on the song Drowing in Air....  Is just insane....
I'll listen to anything that Tony does even Buzz and Bottle Rocket.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:29 am

Superjuice wrote:
zelote wrote:Listen the guitar solo by Tony Palacios in the new Ted Kiekpatrick record, on the song Drowing in Air....  Is just insane....
Then, you won't be surprised at all.

I can't remember this solo from Ted Kirkpatrick album, though if he is that good, why didn't he show it in the entire Guardian carrer? Just for the record, there is also a good solo in a instrumental track of guardian's new album, but this is not enough to recognize him as one of the best guitar players in christian rock. He earned it due to his well-succeded work in guardian, as well as with some famous CCM artists. He is another one that is overrated, in my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by zelote Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:20 pm

Yeah, maybe you have the reason ,everyone has their own likes.
For my this list is plagued with guitar players from alternative bands that not have anything to do in a list of the best guitar players, is just my opinion....

zelote
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe C Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Thiago-Brazil wrote:
Superjuice wrote:
Then, you won't be surprised at all.

I can't remember this solo from Ted Kirkpatrick album, though if he is that good, why didn't he show it in the entire Guardian carrer? Just for the record, there is also a good solo in a instrumental track of guardian's new album, but this is not enough to recognize him as one of the best guitar players in christian rock. He earned it due to his well-succeded work in guardian, as well as with some famous CCM artists. He is another one that is overrated, in my opinion.
Have you ever heard Tony Palacios's  instrumental guitar album "Epic Tales of Whoa!"?  An absolute masterpiece!
Joe C
Joe C
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:05 am

I had never heard of Sister Rosetta Tharpe. 

I checked out some of her songs and I like them.

I also think Blind Willie Johnson should be on that list.

He was a great blues gospel singer and player.

100 greatest Christian Rock guitarists - Page 2 2Q==

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:24 am

L8T wrote:Well, neither is John Michael Talbot..........but, Love Him Too!!  Play him, once a week, at least, at work....
He was a rocker in his early days: see Mason Proffit.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by L8T Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:04 pm

Thanks, I will check that out.

If you like Rosetta Tharpe and Blind Willie Johnson, you may like Rev. Gary Davis.
L8T
L8T
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2