The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question regarding the band, Cloven Hoof.

5 posters

Go down

Question regarding the band, Cloven Hoof. Empty Question regarding the band, Cloven Hoof.

Post by TopJosh (Josh L.) Sat Sep 28, 2024 9:28 am

Hi guys, I have a question regarding the band, Cloven Hoof. Let's specifically focus & discuss about their first EP (The Opening Ritual), their self-titled debut album (Cloven Hoof), and their latest studio album (Heathen Cross). I would also include discussing about their self-titled song, "Cloven Hoof."

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Cloven_Hoof/The_Opening_Rit%C3%BCal/6550
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Cloven_Hoof/Cloven_Hoof/3570
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Cloven_Hoof/Heathen_Cross/1220251

Here are the lyrics of their self-titled song, "Cloven Hoof." (https://genius.com/Cloven-hoof-cloven-hoof-lyrics)

You can also check out this YouTube video about the band, Cloven Hoof, from Metal School. (https://youtu.be/iNFyL3D_ov4?feature=shared)

Few or some of their songs within those studio albums (plus one EP) have occult and/or dark themes in the songs' lyrics. I've also found out that the founder & bassist of Cloven Hoof, Lee Payne, said that he's fascinated with occult stuff and horror stuff. He said in one of the interviews here (from this link https://www.themedianman.com/cloven-hoof-interview/).

"Right from the start I didn’t want the band to be a standard rock act with an obvious name and music. I wanted to break new ground and be original, the music had to be epic and thought provoking and the name had to reflect this too. To show the Cloven Hoof means to reveal your evil side, to let it take over. The church of Satan call their church, followers of the Cloven Hoof, in short disciples who worship at the feet of the devil. I had always had a fascination with the occult and horror movies, so I wanted to reflect this in the name and material of the band. The moniker of a rock group needs to be memorable and powerful, that a crowd could chant out easily, so I began by writing down all the things I could think of with occult word associations. The name that really grabbed me immediately was… Cloven Hoof! Black Sabbath and Judas Priest are from the same neck of the woods where I grew up, so that location must infuse our music with a certain inherent sound. You cannot ignore your roots and the Black Country has produced some great musicians. I am proud to have been born there. Led Zeppelin, Rush, Thin Lizzy, UFO and Deep Purple were the main bands who inspired me to be a musician. I still love their music to this day."

Is it morally wrong & sinful to like & enjoy songs by Cloven Hoof (including their self-titled song, "Cloven Hoof" by Cloven Hoof) despite few or of their songs having occult themes and/or dark themes in the songs' lyrics? I personally have the ability to enjoy the musicianship and NOT agree with the lyrics (and/or message) in general. In other words, using my God-given ability to separate musicianship and lyrics (and/or message) of the songs in general.

It gets me to thinking of any Christians saying either, "If it's morally wrong & sinful for me to like & enjoy listening to the song, 'Cloven Hoof' by Cloven Hoof, then it's also morally wrong & sinful for all other Christians to like & enjoy listening to the song, 'Cloven Hoof' by Cloven Hoof because the song itself has occult themes and/or dark themes in the lyrics, this, that, etc....," or, "If it's a stumbling block for me to like & enjoy listening to Cloven Hoof's songs such as their self-titled song, 'Cloven Hoof' by Cloven Hoof, then it's also a stumbling block to all other Christians to like & enjoy listening to Cloven Hoof's songs such as their self-titled song, 'Cloven Hoof' by Cloven Hoof because it (along with few other of their songs) has occult themes and/or dark themes, this, that, etc....," something like that.

The reason why I'm pointing this out is because that it's NOT my conscience that's bothering me. It's the convictions & conscience of other Christians that's bothering me. I know I've stated that for some time so far in replies from other forum discussions.

I would like to know your thoughts on this. 

PS: A couple things to point out. This might be a continuation of these following topics I've posted some time ago. 
(https://thecmr.forumotion.com/t15314-what-do-you-guys-think-of-the-band-cloven-hoof-any-christians-here-that-likes-the-band-cloven-hoof?highlight=cloven+hoof
https://thecmr.forumotion.com/t15316-is-it-morally-wrong-for-christians-to-like-enjoy-listening-to-bands-such-as-pentagram-running-wild-cloven-hoof-grim-reaper-grave-digger-virgin-steele-candlemass-etc?highlight=cloven+hoof). 

Plus, many of their other studio albums have songs in it that focus lyrically on sci-fi themes and fantasy fiction themes, which I'm totally fine with.

TopJosh (Josh L.)
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Question regarding the band, Cloven Hoof. Empty Re: Question regarding the band, Cloven Hoof.

Post by Black Rider Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:36 am

You keep asking, not sure what you want here?
Guess this horse is still twitching.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

oldschooldoom, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Question regarding the band, Cloven Hoof. Empty Re: Question regarding the band, Cloven Hoof.

Post by TopJosh (Josh L.) Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:47 am

Black Rider wrote:You keep asking, not sure what you want here?
Guess this horse is still twitching.
I just needed your thoughts on this based on what I've just posted here. 

Another thing. There might be Christian out there that might say to other Christians (who likes & enjoys hard rock/heavy metal music in general) like, "Cloven Hoof's bassist and founder, Lee Payne, said in one of the interviews that he's fascinated with occult stuff and horror stuff and their band name means revealing their evil side and followers of the church of Satan. Plus, few or some of their songs has occult themes and/or dark themes in the songs' lyrics like their self-titled song, 'Cloven Hoof.' Therefore, it's morally wrong & sinful for all Christians to like & enjoy listening to Cloven Hoof's music & songs that has occult themes and/or dark themes in the lyrics and it's also morally wrong & sinful for all Christians to like & enjoy listening to their songs like, 'Cloven Hoof' by Cloven Hoof. Few or some of their songs that have occult themes and/or dark themes in the lyrics are inherently evil, demonic, and Satanic. If you Christians like & enjoy listening to Cloven Hoof's songs that has occult themes and/or dark themes in the lyrics, including their self-titled song, 'Cloven Hoof,' then you Christians are automatically sinning and you'll be lukewarm, apostates, carnal, worldly, and hypocritical because again few or some of their songs has occult themes and/or dark themes in the lyrics. Therfore you need to repent and stop listening to those songs with occult themes and/or dark themes in the lyrics immediately because again it will effect you Christian subconsciously (your guys' subconscious minds)," something like that. 

Is this one of the examples of "guilt by association?"

Last edited by TopJosh (Josh L.) on Thu Oct 03, 2024 9:57 am; edited 4 times in total

TopJosh (Josh L.)
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:27 am

You have our thoughts in the other threads. It feels like you're trying to stir things up.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

oldschooldoom, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:34 am

So can we expect a bajillion more of these threads?

Because there are about a bajillion (give or take a few jillion) more bands that have the same imagery and lyrical content as Cloven Hoof.

In fact, there are quite a few bands out there that make Cloven Hoof look tame by comparison.

How many times do you want us to answer the same question?

I know, I know...

It's NOT your conscience that's bothering you...
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

oldschooldoom and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TopJosh (Josh L.) Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:39 am

Black Rider wrote:You have our thoughts in the other threads. It feels like you're trying to stir things up.
I made this post just to focus on the band, Cloven Hoof, and even discuss specifically on their first EP (The Opening Ritual), their self-titled debut (Cloven Hoof), and their latest studio album (Heathen Cross).

TopJosh (Josh L.)
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by TopJosh (Josh L.) Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:42 am

MagnusPrime wrote:So can we expect a bajillion more of these threads?

Because there are about a bajillion (give or take a few jillion) more bands that have the same imagery and lyrical content as Cloven Hoof.

In fact, there are quite a few bands out there that make Cloven Hoof look tame by comparison.

I know, I know...

Ok, I'm sorry. 

I know I've typed this, but I'll type it again. There might be Christian out there that might say to other Christians (who likes & enjoys hard rock/heavy metal music in general) like, "Cloven Hoof's bassist and founder, Lee Payne, said in one of the interviews that he's fascinated with occult stuff and horror stuff and their band name means revealing their evil side and followers of the church of Satan. Plus, few or some of their songs has occult themes and/or dark themes in the songs' lyrics like their self-titled song, 'Cloven Hoof.' Therefore, it's morally wrong & sinful for all Christians to like & enjoy listening to Cloven Hoof's music & songs that has occult themes and/or dark themes in the lyrics and it's also morally wrong & sinful for all Christians to like & enjoy listening to their songs like, 'Cloven Hoof' by Cloven Hoof. Few or some of their songs that have occult themes and/or dark themes in the lyrics are inherently evil, demonic, and Satanic. If you Christians like & enjoy listening to Cloven Hoof's songs that has occult themes and/or dark themes in the lyrics, including their self-titled song, 'Cloven Hoof,' then you Christians are automatically sinning and you'll be lukewarm, apostates, carnal, worldly, and hypocritical because again few or some of their songs has occult themes and/or dark themes in the lyrics. Therefore, you need to repent and stop listening to those songs with occult themes and/or dark themes in the lyrics immediately it will effect you Christian subconsciously (your guys' subconscious minds)," something like that. 

Is this one of the examples of "guilt by association?" Please answer this simple question.

Another thing I need to point out is that I have high-functioning autism. I'm NOT kidding.

Last edited by TopJosh (Josh L.) on Thu Oct 03, 2024 9:57 am; edited 4 times in total

TopJosh (Josh L.)
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:46 am

Question regarding the band, Cloven Hoof. ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgflip.com%2F25nddo

Last edited by Superjuice on Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:50 am

TopJosh (Josh L.) wrote:
MagnusPrime wrote:So can we expect a bajillion more of these threads?

I know, I know...

Ok, I'm sorry. 

Another thing I need to point out is that I have high-functioning autism. I'm NOT kidding.

That explains a LOT, actually. 

I'm not sure if I'm on the "spectrum" or anything (I've been told by numerous people over the years to get tested), but let's just say I have "issues" of my own LOL.

Rock on 1
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Sun Sep 29, 2024 1:00 pm

I listen guilt free to any band that does not take an anti-Christian stance
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down