The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

List some good folk metal bands (both Christian ones & non-Christian ones)?

+3
Andreas89
MagnusPrime
TopJosh (Josh L.)
7 posters

Go down

List some good folk metal bands (both Christian ones & non-Christian ones)? Empty List some good folk metal bands (both Christian ones & non-Christian ones)?

Post by TopJosh (Josh L.) Fri Aug 09, 2024 7:45 pm

Hi guys. What are some good folk metal bands? Can anyone please give a list of good folk metal bands (both Christian ones & non-Christian ones)? Thank you.

TopJosh (Josh L.)
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

List some good folk metal bands (both Christian ones & non-Christian ones)? Empty Re: List some good folk metal bands (both Christian ones & non-Christian ones)?

Post by MagnusPrime Sat Aug 10, 2024 12:14 am

I hear that the guys in Helloween are pretty good folks.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

List some good folk metal bands (both Christian ones & non-Christian ones)? Empty Re: List some good folk metal bands (both Christian ones & non-Christian ones)?

Post by Andreas89 Sat Aug 10, 2024 8:31 am

TopJosh (Josh L.) wrote:Hi guys. What are some good folk metal bands? Can anyone please give a list of good folk metal bands (both Christian ones & non-Christian ones)? Thank you.
Yeah I know a few. Of course, folk metal is an incredibly diverse subgenre, it's usually combined with another subgenre like power, thrash, melodeath and black metal.

Anyway, Christian folk metal is extremely rare. When you search Metal Archives on folk metal with Christianity as lyrical theme, you get 60 results of which 43 only show up because their lyrical themes are actually anti-Christianity. Even the 'positive' results aren't exactly Christian, since the band either made a big shift in that department or because it's tacked onto extreme leftist drivel.
The bands worth mentioning are Arvinger, Cat o' Nine Tails, Holy Blood, Illuminandi and Oskord.

As for the secular bands, I assume you're familiar with Ensiferum, Turisas and the likes. So I'll list a few that I find worth mentioning, ranging from atmospheric black metal to power metal:
Cân Bardd, Eterknight, Kylfingar, Lör, Riverwood, Tierramystica, Tuatha de Danann, Valhalore, Vanaheim, (early) Wilderun, Wind Rose and Wuthering Heights.
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by TopJosh (Josh L.) Sat Aug 10, 2024 10:27 am

MagnusPrime wrote:I hear that the guys in Helloween are pretty good folks.
Helloween is a power metal band. In other words, as much as I like power metal in general, they're NOT a folk metal band.

TopJosh (Josh L.)
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sat Aug 10, 2024 10:50 am

TopJosh (Josh L.) wrote:
Helloween is a power metal band. In other words, as much as I like power metal in general, they're NOT a folk metal band.

OK, but you might change your mind if you get to know them.

They're good folks.

You should try and just talk to them.

They like pumpkins and keys.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TopJosh (Josh L.) Sat Aug 10, 2024 11:00 am

MagnusPrime wrote:
TopJosh (Josh L.) wrote:

They're good folks.

No time for jokes please. I'm being serious here. I did check out a few of Helloween's songs so far and they're cool. However, all I'm asking is do you think you could please list off some good folk metal bands (both Christian ones & non-Christian ones)? Once again, Helloween is a power metal band, but they're NOT a folk metal band. That's all.

TopJosh (Josh L.)
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Sat Aug 10, 2024 11:13 am

Morgarten
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Andreas89 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sat Aug 10, 2024 11:33 am

Illuminandi and Oskord are good, although most of the former’s and all of the latter’s lyrics are not in English. Ecthirion had some folk elements, and they are really good and have Christian lyrics in English. 
And although they aren’t exactly what you typically think of as folk metal, I have to recommend Epta Astera. The guy behind the band calls his genre “Gregorian folk metal,” it isn’t really like anything I’ve heard elsewhere but is REALLY good
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Staybrite and Andreas89 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Sat Aug 10, 2024 8:04 pm

TopJosh (Josh L.) wrote:
MagnusPrime wrote:
TopJosh (Josh L.) wrote:

They're good folks.

No time for jokes please. I'm being serious here. I did check out a few of Helloween's songs so far and they're cool. However, all I'm asking is do you think you could please list off some good folk metal bands (both Christian ones & non-Christian ones)? Once again, Helloween is a power metal band, but they're NOT a folk metal band. That's all.
No time for jokes? You in a rush to find an answer? Just ignore the jokes, some of us find them funny

Either way, Illuminandi is a good Christian folk metal band.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

MagnusPrime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sat Aug 10, 2024 10:35 pm

Amorphis
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Bronze Age Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:55 pm

The only folk metal band I listened to was Skyclad. Not Christian, very pagan. To me Jonah's Ark is the birth of folk metal. Their first two albums were closer to Martin Walkyier's thrash band Sabbat. After Jonah's Ark all of their albums up to Folkeman are pretty good but they had an alt rock phase for 3-4 albums before that.

Bronze Age
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down