The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question For Guitarists!

+7
Dustofyears
TZ75
Sevenoneself
Pethead
Xid
Constantine
Christian Thrash Rules
11 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Question For Guitarists! - Page 3 Empty Re: Question For Guitarists!

Post by TZ75 Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:02 am

Otherworldly!

If you have time, check out this little tribute to Jeff. You got to be crazy to call one of the most unique players “average”! 

TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:02 am

Dustofyears wrote:
Christian Thrash Rules wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:
Christian Thrash Rules wrote:Hello fellow guitarists! I have a question, what is your most unpopular guitar opinion? Here are some examples(that I don't believe in the slightest) incase you don't quite understand the question.

"Steve Vai is terrible."

"Thin guitar picks are better than thick picks."

"You don't need more than one guitar."

I love Steve Vai, I play with 1.14mm guitar picks, and I have 7 guitars(which is not enough). My most unpopular guitar opinion is probably that "It's better to hold the pick with three fingers not two."

Who ever called Steve Vai a terrible Guitarist? Only an idiot would say that.

Sevenoneself wrote:Jimmy Hendrix sucked.

Oh boy I hope that's not a statement! JImi Hendrix is to Guitarists and song writers and performers what black Sabbath is to metal.

TZ75 wrote:

I wouldn’t say he sucked… but he is massively overrated! 

Jeff Beck was way better.

How’s that for a “hot take”! 😁

No. Absolutely clueless statement. Jimi did things on guitar people still try to do. He's everywhere. He is an innovator. And it's not easy to play. besides that his voice is soulful and unique, he is a wizard of a performer and he wrote trippy poetic lyrics. He deserves the number one GOD spot for guitarist/artist. if anything Beck is overrated.
Some people think "All Steve Vai does is play a million notes per second, he has no feel."

Jimi is 100% overrated. Here are a bunch of guitarists that are better than Jimi:
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Guthrie Govan
Kirk Hammett
Herman Li

I could keep going for awhile.
Steve vai has plenty of feel and is amazing (inser keyboard warrior guitarist here)

All those players you mention are great players— all of them will tell you the importance of hendrix and have been inspired by him immensly, especially Joe and Vai I know for sure and Hammet who can only dream to play wah wah half as good as Hendrix, the god of wah. You can add Ritich Black moore and Malmsteen in there too and just about anyone worth their salt.

None of them are a legend and God that Hendrix is. Saying Hendrix is overrated tells how much someone knows about music in a way and that's not a great deal. Same with people who say the Beatles are overrated. Just makes the person sound like a dummy, honestly.
The Beatles were overrated
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:06 am

They weren’t bad, and I get that they were very innovative and trend-setting at their time, but some people act like they were the greatest musicians of all time or something
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:14 am

You call this average?! Listen to his phrasing and note choices. 

Last edited by TZ75 on Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:27 am

The solo that made me a Jeff Beck fan. 

TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:28 am

seth wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:
Christian Thrash Rules wrote:Hello fellow guitarists! I have a question, what is your most unpopular guitar opinion? Here are some examples(that I don't believe in the slightest) incase you don't quite understand the question.

"Steve Vai is terrible."

I love Steve Vai, I play with 1.14mm guitar picks, and I have 7 guitars(which is not enough). My most unpopular guitar opinion is probably that "It's better to hold the pick with three fingers not two."

Oh boy I hope that's not a statement! JImi Hendrix is to Guitarists and song writers and performers what black Sabbath is to metal.

TZ75 wrote:

No. Absolutely clueless statement. Jimi did things on guitar people still try to do. He's everywhere. He is an innovator. And it's not easy to play. besides that his voice is soulful and unique, he is a wizard of a performer and he wrote trippy poetic lyrics. He deserves the number one GOD spot for guitarist/artist. if anything Beck is overrated.
Some people think "All Steve Vai does is play a million notes per second, he has no feel."

Jimi is 100% overrated. Here are a bunch of guitarists that are better than Jimi:
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Guthrie Govan
Kirk Hammett
Herman Li

Steve vai has plenty of feel and is amazing (inser keyboard warrior guitarist here)

All those players you mention are great players— all of them will tell you the importance of hendrix and have been inspired by him immensly, especially Joe and Vai I know for sure and Hammet who can only dream to play wah wah half as good as Hendrix, the god of wah. You can add Ritich Black moore and Malmsteen in there too and just about anyone worth their salt.

None of them are a legend and God that Hendrix is. Saying Hendrix is overrated tells how much someone knows about music in a way and that's not a great deal. Same with people who say the Beatles are overrated. Just makes the person sound like a dummy, honestly.
Stop the Madness th_bannedstamp
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:31 am

Dustofyears wrote:
seth wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:

"Steve Vai is terrible."

TZ75 wrote:

Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Guthrie Govan
Kirk Hammett
Herman Li

Stop the Madness th_bannedstamp

TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:38 am

That's exactly what was in my mind when I typed that lolz
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and TZ75 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:06 am

TZ75 wrote:Otherworldly!

If you have time, check out this little tribute to Jeff. You got to be crazy to call one of the most unique players “average”! 

Then stop calling Hendrix overrated and I'll stop calling Jeff Beck Average lolz 2hammer thanks for sharing the videos. I used to have blow by blow on tape. Also Eric Johnson seems like a real genuinely nice guy every time I see him. Cheers.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:08 am

It’s funny how we either agree and think very similar, or completely disagree like war is on the horizon. 

lol!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:09 am

It's kind of fun. WOuldn't have it any other way. Now Seth wants to join the army lolz...I am so easy to trigger!!!
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:11 am

Dustofyears wrote:
TZ75 wrote:Otherworldly!

Then stop calling Hendrix overrated and I'll stop calling Jeff Beck Average lolz 2hammer thanks for sharing the videos. I used to have blow by blow on tape. Also Eric Johnson seems like a real genuinely nice guy every time I see him. Cheers.

Okay!

I like Jimi’s playing. He was great and innovative!

I just don’t think his singing is all that.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:16 am

And part of the reason I ranked Jimi lower is because of the constant clueless magazines that rank him #1 by default. Almost like it’s heresy to put another player like EVH in the top spot. The lists are so contrived!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:17 am

k that'll do. Jeff Beck is not average. He's just slightly above average. Lolz Kk he's unique and nowhere near us average fellas he is one of the greats.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:19 am

TZ75 wrote:And part of the reason I ranked Jimi lower is because of the constant clueless magazines that rank him #1 by default. Almost like it’s heresy to put another player like EVH in the top spot. The lists are so contrived!
Hendrix is far more influential and legendary than Van Halen though... Don't get me wrong I love Van Halen! There's just no one as influential or as bigger name than Jimi in the whole entire history of guitar. There;s good reason for that. I hate those kind of Magazines like Rolling Stones it's a normie magazine and they swallow it up likes it's truth.

Last edited by Dustofyears on Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:21 am

Eric Johnson is another great! 

He was influenced by both Hendrix and Beck.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:23 am

For sure I can hear both in his playing.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:39 am

Dustofyears wrote:
TZ75 wrote:And part of the reason I ranked Jimi lower is because of the constant clueless magazines that rank him #1 by default. Almost like it’s heresy to put another player like EVH in the top spot. The lists are so contrived!
Hendrix is far more influential and legendary than Van Halen though... Don't get me wrong I love Van Halen! There's just no one as influential or as bigger name than Jimi in the whole entire history of guitar. There;s good reason for that. I hate those kind of Magazines like Rolling Stones it's a normie magazine and they swallow it up likes it's truth.

I have to disagree. Jimi was obviously the first innovator and had more years in the public consciousness… but EVH is the creator of modern guitar 2.0!

I hear way more bands using Van Halen style techniques than Hendrix’s flashy blues. If it wasn’t for EVH, everyone would be stuck doing variations of standard blues. 

People only put Jimi on top because they have been force fed their whole life by magazines that he’s the best. How can anyone be the best? A death metal or thrash guy isn’t looking at Hendrix’s blues style. They are more likely to play something inspired by Randy Rhoads or EVH. 

Being the best only applies to the style you like. Believe it or not… there are people who actually think Prince is the best player! No joke. 

How many songs does Prince do something great on guitar? Maybe a few. 

My top players are: EVH, Randy Rhoads, Tony Iommi, Dimebag, John Sykes, Jeff Beck, George Lynch and Warren DeMartini. 

Although Beck is not my number one choice, he’s probably the most unique.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:04 am

TZ75 wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:

I have to disagree. Jimi was obviously the first innovator and had more years in the public consciousness… but EVH is the creator of modern guitar 2.0!

I hear way more bands using Van Halen style techniques than Hendrix’s flashy blues. If it wasn’t for EVH, everyone would be stuck doing variations of standard blues. 

People only put Jimi on top because they have been force fed their whole life by magazines that he’s the best. How can anyone be the best? A death metal or thrash guy isn’t looking at Hendrix’s blues style. They are more likely to play something inspired by Randy Rhoads or EVH. 

Being the best only applies to the style you like. Believe it or not… there are people who actually think Prince is the best player! No joke. 

How many songs does Prince do something great on guitar? Maybe a few. 

My top players are: EVH, Randy Rhoads, Tony Iommi, Dimebag, John Sykes, Jeff Beck, George Lynch and Warren DeMartini. 

Although Beck is not my number one choice, he’s probably the most unique.
Yeah Prince was good on all rock instruments. But nowhere near the best. I've people say that too. Great artist of course in his own right even if not my cup o tea.

Van Halen is the modern innovator 2.0 absolutely. He's the next huge step from Hendrix and took into another space. Then Joe comes along etc... Also I never listen to anyone or get influenced or swayed by popular opinion by anything in such a way as being forced to believe something etc but totally imagine what it was like when Hendrix came on the scene and rattled every guitarist on the planet including Clapton. Everyone was stunned by his wizardry. I understand fully the mark he left on this planet and in music on the whole. Van Halen is a similar story. Both Wizards in their own right.

Just to add, Hendrix was far more than blues and standards. If that was the case I'd get bored pretty fast. No he played spanish, country, poppish stuff, soul, rock, fusion, prog, rustic funk to clean and intricate balladry such as little wing. Angel and wind cries Mary. and blues. fact the only album that is truly blues is Hendrix Blues album.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:50 am

EVH is the GOAT (no disrespect to Jimi).

The greatness of The Beatles was their songwriting, which was otherworldly.

John Sykes deserves more love as a guitarist. His playing on Whitesnake’s s/t/1987 is epic.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

TZ75, Dustofyears, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:53 am

Question For Guitarists! - Page 3 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgflip.com%2F1lym7a
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:46 am

I think pretty much every serious rock fan knows that Sykes made Whitesnake what they are.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Pethead, TZ75 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:38 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:I think pretty much every serious rock fan knows that Sykes made Whitesnake what they are.

Very true!

I’ve heard the stuff with Bernie Marsden and the original lineup. It’s good… but it doesn’t have the power and finesse that John Sykes brought to the band.  

Whitesnake 1987 is a near perfect album. Only the last two songs throw it off a little bit.

Last edited by TZ75 on Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:48 pm

I’d agree on the last song, but Straight for the Heart is one of my favorites.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:57 pm

Pethead wrote:I’d agree on the last song, but Straight for the Heart is one of my favorites.

I actually like the last two songs… but I don’t think they fit the album’s flow. The deluxe reissue has a b-side song that is better than the last song “Don’t Turn Away”. It’s called: You’re Gonna Break My Heart Again.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next