The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question For Guitarists!

+7
Dustofyears
TZ75
Sevenoneself
Pethead
Xid
Constantine
Christian Thrash Rules
11 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Question For Guitarists! - Page 2 Empty Re: Question For Guitarists!

Post by MagnusPrime Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:29 pm

TZ75 wrote:
MagnusPrime wrote:Fun fact:

Alan Morse of Spock's Beard also plays guitar without a pick.

It’s a hallmark of some avant-garde and prog style players. 

I’m not familiar with Spock’s Beard, but the name indicates prog.

Yes, they're progressive rock.

Neal Morse's old band.

Alan is his brother, who's still in the band.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:30 pm

Yeah love Cobain. Simple yet complex. If we could write catchy simple songs (which is not so simple in and of itself) we would. Thrash, death metal and metal in general is an easier form of music to work towards than what he did, that's why there are dim a dozen guitarists that can play technical same old same old stuff and not so many Cobian's coming out.

Pinnick is the closet I've heard someone sing to Hendrix but still sounds nothing like him (and I love dug in his own right). Hendrix's other talents were very much overlooked and shadowed by his guitar playing. He was poet, a soulful unique voice no else can immulate and a great Performer who could both play guitar like fire and jam and write a song for the radio at the same time. He was the whole package.

This"—> Jimi offers an immediate melody that makes the average person happy."—>

tells me all I need to know. You only know Hendrix the man that wrote little wing, foxy lady, Wind cries Mary and Voodoo child. Hendrix was Prog and a tripped out jammer and with Mitch on drums a tornado of magic, but also had the gift of crafting beautiful soulful melodies and intricate pop songs as well.

Anyhoo it's cool. Let's just disagree. You dig Jeff I dig Hendrix. All is well.

Last edited by Dustofyears on Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Constantine and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:31 pm

I will give you a nod for mentioning John Fruciante. He is indeed a great Hendrix influenced player. But he is way more funky than Jimi was. 

Mother’s Milk is one of my favorite alternative rock albums!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:35 pm

Mitch Mitchell was an amazing drummer! 

Jimi made a good choice working with him.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:36 pm

Haha, I kinda guessed I might start a riot with my statement, but didn't think it'd be this much!

For sure, I overstated my opinion about Hendrix! And yes, TZ, you are correct in that I haven't done a deep dive into his music.

To refer back to my original explanation about delving into the history of rock & roll (as an adult who didn't listen to secular music growing up)...I don't care to listen to alot of Jeff Beck music--I'm not into the genres he mostly played in. But unlike Hendrix, I I do emotionally/mentally connect with his skill & soul and contribution. I, personally, get something out of Live at Ronnie Scott's and the Les Paul tribute concert (Jeff playing a Gibson?!).

Whereas I haven't made that same connection with Hendrix yet. But I still accept that Hendrix had a massive influence on the type of music that I really enjoy listening to and playing.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:36 pm

Keep in mind Dust… I’m not the guy that said Hendrix sucks. I said he was highly overrated (in my mind). 

Yes, let’s agree to disagree.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:40 pm

TZ75 wrote:Keep in mind Dust… I’m not the guy that said Hendrix sucks. I said he was highly overrated (in my mind). 

Seven Imma looking at you!!!! cyclops

better skip and jump have a good day.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:41 pm

TZ75 wrote:Keep in mind Dust… I’m not the guy that said Hendrix sucks. I said he was highly overrated (in my mind). 

Yeah, that was me.... tarddance

Dust, there is one song of Hendrix's that has captivated me, and that is one that you mentioned--Little Wing. Steve Vai did it on one of the G3 tours, and the melody was hauntingly beautiful. So, despite my disparaging commentary on Hendrix, there is still possibility I may change my mind in the future..
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:42 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:Haha, I kinda guessed I might start a riot with my statement, but didn't think it'd be this much!

For sure, I overstated my opinion about Hendrix! And yes, TZ, you are correct in that I haven't done a deep dive into his music.

To refer back to my original explanation about delving into the history of rock & roll (as an adult who didn't listen to secular music growing up)...I don't care to listen to alot of Jeff Beck music--I'm not into the genres he mostly played in. But unlike Hendrix, I I do emotionally/mentally connect with his skill & soul and contribution. I, personally, get something out of Live at Ronnie Scott's and the Les Paul tribute concert (Jeff playing a Gibson?!).

Whereas I haven't made that same connection with Hendrix yet.  But I still accept that Hendrix had a massive influence on the type of music that I really enjoy listening to and playing.

I’m fully aware that Jeff Beck’s music isn’t for everyone. 

But he is very influential and appreciated by people like the guys in Dream Theater and those that have a different musical palette than top 40 stuff. Although Beck did work with Rod Stewart and had some mainstream radio hits.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:51 pm

I know that MANY musicians do the following. But I will note that one of the things about Jeff's music that brings me back to him is that he surrounds himself with those who are vituoso's in their own right. Ronnie Scott's is such an awesome concert because if/when you get board of Jeff's guitar playing (if you're not into that genre, which I'm not) you also get to be wowed by Colaiuta's drumming, Wilkenfeld's bass playing on 'Cuz We've Ended As Lovers, and Rebello's infrequent--yet ingenious--keyboard solos.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:41 am

Dustofyears wrote:
Christian Thrash Rules wrote:Hello fellow guitarists! I have a question, what is your most unpopular guitar opinion? Here are some examples(that I don't believe in the slightest) incase you don't quite understand the question.

"Steve Vai is terrible."

"Thin guitar picks are better than thick picks."

"You don't need more than one guitar."

I love Steve Vai, I play with 1.14mm guitar picks, and I have 7 guitars(which is not enough). My most unpopular guitar opinion is probably that "It's better to hold the pick with three fingers not two."

Who ever called Steve Vai a terrible Guitarist? Only an idiot would say that.

Sevenoneself wrote:Jimmy Hendrix sucked.

Oh boy I hope that's not a statement! JImi Hendrix is to Guitarists and song writers and performers what black Sabbath is to metal.

TZ75 wrote:

I wouldn’t say he sucked… but he is massively overrated! 

Jeff Beck was way better.

How’s that for a “hot take”! 😁

No. Absolutely clueless statement. Jimi did things on guitar people still try to do. He's everywhere. He is an innovator. And it's not easy to play. besides that his voice is soulful and unique, he is a wizard of a performer and he wrote trippy poetic lyrics. He deserves the number one GOD spot for guitarist/artist. if anything Beck is overrated.
Some people think "All Steve Vai does is play a million notes per second, he has no feel."

Jimi is 100% overrated. Here are a bunch of guitarists that are better than Jimi:
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Guthrie Govan
Kirk Hammett
Herman Li

I could keep going for awhile.
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:44 am

MagnusPrime wrote:With very few exceptions, I'm not a "lead guitar" guy.

When listening to music, I've always focused on riffs and rhythms above anything else.

Solos have to be VERY well done for me to pay much attention to them.

As a songwriter, I've always been laser-focused on rhythms and creating song structures as opposed to how a lot of guitarists approach things. 

I make power chords using my index and pinky finger, instead of index and ring.

I'm completely self-taught, so that may have something to do with my unorthodox methods LOL!

Rock on 1
There are a lot of people that use their pinky instead of ring finger. I have big hands so I use my ring(even sometimes middle) finger. Stevie T(my favorite youtuber) uses his pinky.
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:45 am

Temple of Blood wrote:There are many, many great solos but like songs, most solos these days also suck, whether they are technical or not.
Especially Lil Wayne's solo...
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:47 am

Mark Knopfler? Dire Straits? One of the greatest guitarists and bands of all time.
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:37 am

Christian Thrash Rules wrote:

Mark Knopfler? Dire Straits? One of the greatest guitarists and bands of all time.

Yes! Mark is one of the greats. 

I also like Lindsey Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:46 am

Steve Vai doesn’t just play a million notes a minute. He bends notes like crazy to create very strange and otherworldly sounds. He comes from the Joe Satriani school of guitar (literally). He actually was a student of Satriani when he first started out. Same with Kirk Hammett and Alex Skolnick. 

If you want “feel”, check out Rocky George’s solos on the albums: “How Will I Laugh Tomorrow… When I can’t Even Smile Today” and “Lights Camera Revolution”. The guy plays with tons of emotion.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:52 am

I’m a huge Tony Iommi fan. 

The guy essentially invented metal guitar playing. His riffs are timeless and even his solos are memorable. 

Tony is the original riff master! 

Supernaut!  beavisnbutthead
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Superjuice and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:44 pm

This is not addressed to anyone here in particular, I'm just skimming the responses....

I would submit that if someone is going to compare one guitar player to another, it is important to compare apples to apples before saying someone "sucks" or is "over-rated."  Case in point, over the past 40+ years we have become used to modern metal guitar playing which tends to be precise and highly technical.  If we are seeing things primarily through that lens, then of course older players like Jimmy Page, Alvin Lee, Rory Gallagher, and Hendrix are going to seem sort of primitive by comparison.

But looking at guitar playing as a sport means you will miss so much about a person's highly individual style.   Because in the end guitar playing - as almost all music - is a form of artistic expression.  If you boil everything down to just technicality or speed, then you miss so many other fascinating aspects of a person's playing style.

Regarding Hendrix, he created sounds and textures that no one else had even conceived of at the time.  And he did it all with very primitive equipment.  Just listen to the sounds and textures on the "Axis Bold As Love" album and try to find anything even remotely comparable during that time it was recorded.

Nowadays every guitar player who can afford it has very advanced equipment at his or her disposal, and can create any sound or tone imaginable with a flick of a switch.  

And as others here have mentioned, Hendrix created some beautiful melodies.  I still get chills when I listen to his playing on his cover of Bob Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower," especially the lead playing.

Is Hendrix's style and music going to be for everyone?  No not at all.  But that does not mean he was not important to the evolution of electric guitar playing at the time.  And he has been a huge influence on many more modern players, like Uli Roth. Slash, Joe Bonamassa, Vernon Reid, Billy Gibbons, Mike McCready, Ty Tabor, Robin Trower, Frank Marino, Eric Gales, Steve Vai, Zakk Wylde, John Frisciante, Lita Ford, Lenny Kravitz, Kirk Hammett, Prince, SRV, Matt Bellamy, Orianthi, and many others.  And yes, Jeff Beck.  And if you don't believe me, you can read their interviews about their Hendrix influence.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Xid, Pethead, TZ75, Dustofyears, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:53 pm

Christian Thrash Rules wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:
Christian Thrash Rules wrote:Hello fellow guitarists! I have a question, what is your most unpopular guitar opinion? Here are some examples(that I don't believe in the slightest) incase you don't quite understand the question.

"Steve Vai is terrible."

"Thin guitar picks are better than thick picks."

"You don't need more than one guitar."

I love Steve Vai, I play with 1.14mm guitar picks, and I have 7 guitars(which is not enough). My most unpopular guitar opinion is probably that "It's better to hold the pick with three fingers not two."

Who ever called Steve Vai a terrible Guitarist? Only an idiot would say that.

Oh boy I hope that's not a statement! JImi Hendrix is to Guitarists and song writers and performers what black Sabbath is to metal.

TZ75 wrote:

I wouldn’t say he sucked… but he is massively overrated! 

Jeff Beck was way better.

How’s that for a “hot take”! 😁

No. Absolutely clueless statement. Jimi did things on guitar people still try to do. He's everywhere. He is an innovator. And it's not easy to play. besides that his voice is soulful and unique, he is a wizard of a performer and he wrote trippy poetic lyrics. He deserves the number one GOD spot for guitarist/artist. if anything Beck is overrated.
Some people think "All Steve Vai does is play a million notes per second, he has no feel."

Jimi is 100% overrated. Here are a bunch of guitarists that are better than Jimi:
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Guthrie Govan
Kirk Hammett
Herman Li

I could keep going for awhile.
Steve vai has plenty of feel and is amazing (inser keyboard warrior guitarist here)

All those players you mention are great players— all of them will tell you the importance of hendrix and have been inspired by him immensly, especially Joe and Vai I know for sure and Hammet who can only dream to play wah wah half as good as Hendrix, the god of wah. You can add Ritich Black moore and Malmsteen in there too and just about anyone worth their salt.

None of them are a legend and God that Hendrix is. Saying Hendrix is overrated tells how much someone knows about music in a way and that's not a great deal. Same with people who say the Beatles are overrated. Just makes the person sound like a dummy, honestly.

Last edited by Dustofyears on Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:00 pm

Constantine wrote:This is not addressed to anyone here in particular, I'm just skimming the responses....

I would submit that if someone is going to compare one guitar player to another, it is important to compare apples to apples before saying someone "sucks" or is "over-rated."  Case in point, over the past 40+ years we have become used to modern metal guitar playing which tends to be precise and highly technical.  If we are seeing things primarily through that lens, then of course older players like Jimmy Page, Alvin Lee, Rory Gallagher, and Hendrix are going to seem sort of primitive by comparison.

But looking at guitar playing as a sport means you will miss so much about a person's highly individual style.   Because in the end guitar playing - as almost all music - is a form of artistic expression.  If you boil everything down to just technicality or speed, then you miss so many other fascinating aspects of a person's playing style.

Regarding Hendrix, he created sounds and textures that no one else had even conceived of at the time.  And he did it all with very primitive equipment.  Just listen to the sounds and textures on the "Axis Bold As Love" album and try to find anything even remotely comparable during that time it was recorded.

Nowadays every guitar player who can afford it has very advanced equipment at his or her disposal, and can create any sound or tone imaginable with a flick of a switch.  

And as others here have mentioned, Hendrix created some beautiful melodies.  I still get chills when I listen to his playing on his cover of Bob Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower," especially the lead playing.

Is Hendrix's style and music going to be for everyone?  No not at all.  But that does not mean he was not important to the evolution of electric guitar playing at the time.  And he has been a huge influence on many more modern players, like Uli Roth. Slash, Joe Bonamassa, Vernon Reid, Billy Gibbons, Mike McCready, Ty Tabor, Robin Trower, Frank Marino, Eric Gales, Steve Vai, Zakk Wylde, John Frisciante, Lita Ford, Lenny Kravitz, Kirk Hammett, Prince, SRV, Matt Bellamy, Orianthi, and many others.  And yes, Jeff Beck.  And if you don't believe me, you can read their interviews about their Hendrix influence.
Nicely put. Better than my triggered responses lolz. Just hate when people talk dumb stuff and sound clueless. Hendrix is where the evolution of modern guitar starts and is still felt to this day. It's oe thing to say I'm not into Hendrix (that's fine) but to say he's overrated tells me one's lack of understanding of music on the whole. It's like saying Bob Marley is overrated In the Reggae world there's better reggae artists around...just dumb stuff.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:43 pm

I never said Hendrix sucks, but I did say overrated… mainly because trendy hipster magazines like Rolling Stone always put Hendrix as #1. 

He deserves credit as an innovator of modern rock guitar, but a lot of players have come and gone since he was around that have taken the guitar further. EVH has leaps and bounds changed the way rock guitar is played. And on top of that he was a tone-smith that found his famous “brown sound”. He tinkered with guitars constantly and was the first person who introduced (or made popular) the super-Stratocaster. In other words, he did more than just shred. 

Jeff Beck was a contemporary of Hendrix. He didn’t make as big of a splash with the public like Jimi, but those who knew him and seen what he could do in the studio were blown away! He was a prodigy. Also Ritchie Blackmore was around in the late 1960’s developing the first taste of Neo-classical fusion into rock guitar. He’s the blueprint for Yngwie Malmsteen. 

Ritchie Blackmore was technically better than Hendrix. It just boils down to taste! Hendrix was psychedelic blues. And at the time he was the best at it. But Eric Clapton also helped make it great with his work in Cream. And Blue Cheer came about a year later. 

Jimi was a great and innovative player for sure! But the best? It depends on what style you like. 

Like Constantine said… it shouldn’t be a sport or a contest. It’s musical expression! 

That said, let’s not pretend that the psychedelic drugs didn’t play a part in the creativity. Almost all those guys were doing it. They were seeing brilliant colors that made the music groovy. Lol
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:50 pm

Fun fact…

Jimi Hendrix said Billy F. Gibbons (Moving Sidewalks/ZZ Top) was his favorite guitarist.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:41 pm

I don’t understand the whole “this guy was first” argument…

Robert Johnson was the first big name in recorded blues music. Does that make him the best? Not in my book.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:01 am

I never said best. Why people twist words all the time...ARRGGHHH!!!! That's a matter of opinion and personal taste and that's fine. I said calling him overrated just makes you look stupid. And I hate Rolling Stone magazine it's like the rock roll hall of nothing. Hendrix can be seen mall over Rithcie Blackmore's playing. Yes he did the Neon classical thing and was also an inspiration to Malmsteem with Hendrix!!! Man o man...the guy plays Hendrix songs all the time lolz...k i'm done wasting time trying to explain stuff that's just simple news...

...And Jeff Beck I have not heard anything by him that standouts just the truth, just as average as average can be.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:41 am

Are you upset?

It’s just a discussion.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next