The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the band that first got you into metal?

+28
Superjuice
Staybrite
Mr. Nice Guy
Airola
Friday13th
BaleMaster
nocturnaliridescence
Opeth3232
Son of Nun
Soldier777
Constantine
bodachi
Raegoul
Theonymic
Xid
Seth Dusith
ShotGunderson
Black Rider
Tombie
TZ75
MagnusPrime
Dustofyears
StevenCressler
crucifyd
Beckster13
scottmitchell74
Pethead
seth
32 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What is the band that first got you into metal? Empty What is the band that first got you into metal?

Post by seth Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:56 am

For me, it was Thousand Foot Krutch, and Disciple to a lesser degree. Despite one of these bands having perhaps the worst band name in the history of Christian music, and neither being “true” metal, it was when my mom bought a couple of their cd’s from the Christian bookstore for my younger brother that I realized I liked heavier music. It was like a gateway drug, and from there I got into “real” metal. And I still think TFK’s The End is Where we Begin is a banger album.
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

scottmitchell74, StevenCressler and ShotGunderson like this post

Back to top Go down

What is the band that first got you into metal? Empty Re: What is the band that first got you into metal?

Post by Pethead Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:01 am

While I enjoyed some hard rock as a kid, it was discovering Van Halen as a kid that really opened the floodgates for me.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Ammocas, Constantine and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

What is the band that first got you into metal? Empty Re: What is the band that first got you into metal?

Post by scottmitchell74 Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:09 am

Rez Band with the song Attention! Which is pure molten liquid hot heavier than earth's gravity metal.
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Ammocas, BaleMaster and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Beckster13 Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:21 am

Petra to Rez to Saint to Bride, and on it goes...

Beckster13
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Ammocas, BaleMaster, scottmitchell74 and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:41 am

I'll go with Boston. The self-titled is the first record I recall taking notice of in '79 when I was 11, and it was just amazing. They have a permanent spot at the top of my list. I say they "got me into metal" because that's where it all started for me and as time went on I became interested in heavier and heavier music. It was inevitable.

In the midst of the backward-masking scare, record burning and the like, during the 80's, I struggled with the whole idea of owning / listening to secular music, which continued for the next 35 years, so I confined myself to "Christian" music after an initial jump into buying secular records. I probably would have availed myself of more of the heavier material out there at the time otherwise.
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Ammocas, MagnusPrime and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:59 am

seth wrote:For me, it was Thousand Foot Krutch, and Disciple to a lesser degree. Despite one of these bands having perhaps the worst band name in the history of Christian music, and neither being “true” metal, it was when my mom bought a couple of their cd’s from the Christian bookstore for my younger brother that I realized I liked heavier music. It was like a gateway drug, and from there I got into “real” metal. And I still think TFK’s The End is Where we Begin is a banger album.
What's wrong with the name?

Agree about End though. And I would definetely say that from 1997-2005, Disciple was true metal
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

seth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:26 am

For me it was Deliverance. I first heard Learn (because my dad listens to them), didn't like it much, thought it was too hard (or "loud" as I called it back then), but the chorus to 1990 stuck with me, as well as that riff that sounded like it was saying "watcha gonna do", and I remembered the first song was about time. Then I heard WooW, actually knowing the artist and album names this time, and the only thing I liked was the cover art, the music just sounded like random fast guitaring and screamy growly noise of words I couldn't make out. Then I eventually one day randomly remembered 1990 and wanted to find it again, and slowly started thinking "was that a Deliverance song?" so I checked the tracklist to all my dad's Deliverance albums, checking the chorus of the second songs in the sleeve, until I found one with the first song titled "Time", and sure enough it was the correct second song. So we put it on the car radio when we drove to my grandmas house. Having the lyrics on a sleeve helped me appreciate the faster songs, and metal slowly became my favorite style of music.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Ammocas and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:44 am

For me that journey began with Slippery when wet by Bon Jovi
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

seth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:28 am

Boston and Deep Purple introduced me to harder edged music.

Metallica turned me into a metalhead.

Rock on 1
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Ammocas, Constantine and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:03 am

It was KISS for me. I had a cousin that had some cassette tapes and I heard the song “Tears Are Falling”. I thought it was cool and catchy. Maybe it was closer to hard rock, but that song was my gateway to metal. 

Prior to that, I was listening to Oingo Boingo and before that, Hall and Oats.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

seth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tombie Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:12 am

KISS for me too but a lot earlier stuff... I am old lol. Also, Van Halen, AC/DC and Scorpions.
Tombie
Tombie
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.deadtoselfradio.com

Black Rider, Ammocas, TZ75 and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:24 am

Kiss, Black Sabbath and then Maiden hit and I was hooked
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

TZ75, scottmitchell74 and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:23 am

StevenCressler wrote:
seth wrote:For me, it was Thousand Foot Krutch, and Disciple to a lesser degree. Despite one of these bands having perhaps the worst band name in the history of Christian music, and neither being “true” metal, it was when my mom bought a couple of their cd’s from the Christian bookstore for my younger brother that I realized I liked heavier music. It was like a gateway drug, and from there I got into “real” metal. And I still think TFK’s The End is Where we Begin is a banger album.
What's wrong with the name?

Agree about End though. And I would definetely say that from 1997-2005, Disciple was true metal
I just think it sounds ridiculous. What does “thousand foot krutch” even mean lol
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:27 am

I always took it as a play on Jesus being a “crutch.”
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:31 am

Still sounds ridiculous to me though. Like a name a small child would come up with. Although I think the unusual name may be why my mom and brother picked their cd from the bookstore having never heard of the band before, so I can’t be too hard on them for it
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood, Pethead, StevenCressler and ShotGunderson like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ShotGunderson Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:35 am

The earliest bands I can remember were Disciple and their album “Back Again” and Pillars debut album who’s name eludes me at the moment…
ShotGunderson
ShotGunderson
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:40 am

Above was Pillar’s major debut.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

ShotGunderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ShotGunderson Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:42 am

I was a Disciple fanatic as a kid, I could probably still sing word for word most of “back agains” lyrics. I’m surprised I didn’t wear the cd out. Thousand foot krutch’s first album was a staple for me at that time too.
ShotGunderson
ShotGunderson
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ShotGunderson Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:43 am

Pethead wrote:Above was Pillar’s major debut.
Ok I was mistaken then, it was their album “Fireproof” that my dad had.
ShotGunderson
ShotGunderson
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:49 am

Fireproof is an amazing album.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Constantine, StevenCressler and ShotGunderson like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Seth Dusith Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:15 pm

Korn, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot and Linkin Park. Debatable, if you want to consider them true "metal" bands, but they got me craving harder music. Eventually I went on to stuff like slayer, metallica, cradle of filth, dimmu borgir and so on. It just kept growing

It was only recently I decided to only listen to Christain music. It just didn't feel right when I listened to secular music
Seth Dusith
Seth Dusith
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Superjuice, Pethead and ShotGunderson like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Xid Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:59 pm

Scorpions, Blackout was the eye-opener for me.
Xid
Xid
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.joshuascreed.com

Black Rider, Pethead and Ammocas like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Theonymic Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:11 pm

Possibly Limp Bizkit. I was 13 and they had just released "Take a Look Around." From there it was basically an ascension in heaviness from POD to Blindside to Demon Hunter to BTA and beyond.

Theonymic
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Pethead and Seth Dusith like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:41 pm

Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bodachi Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:45 pm

Daniel Band, first time I heard it was on my older brother's turntable 
On Rock is a legendary album for me, all eleven tracks are gold 
Years later I heard Vengeance's "Mulligan's Stew" on a compilation cassette and turned me on to thrash
Will alwways love those first three D Band albums, though
bodachi
bodachi
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Black Rider, Pethead, BaleMaster, scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next