The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era

+6
Superjuice
Mr. Nice Guy
MagnusPrime
Pethead
Black Rider
Sevenoneself
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Favourite 3 Dream Theater albums (can pick more than one):

Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era - Page 2 I_vote_lcap3%Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era - Page 2 I_vote_lcap28%Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 28% 
[ 9 ]
Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era - Page 2 I_vote_lcap16%Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 16% 
[ 5 ]
Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era - Page 2 I_vote_lcap3%Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era - Page 2 I_vote_lcap16%Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 16% 
[ 5 ]
Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era - Page 2 I_vote_lcap9%Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 9% 
[ 3 ]
Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era - Page 2 I_vote_lcap13%Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 13% 
[ 4 ]
Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era - Page 2 I_vote_lcap6%Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era - Page 2 I_vote_lcap6%Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 32

Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era - Page 2 Empty Re: Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era

Post by Sevenoneself Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:49 am

I feel bad for you. I hope you didn't travel too far! 

Did you see the opening acts? I wouldn't mind seeing them once.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era - Page 2 Empty Re: Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era

Post by oldschooldoom Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:24 am

Sevenoneself wrote:I feel bad for you. I hope you didn't travel too far! 

It was about an hour away. I made a day of it: hiking, theater, picture taking of Gary, Indiana, BBQ ribs in a rough part of town and going to the beach. Then sitting through the 2 warm up bands. 
The roughest part was getting back to my place at 1A, very sleepy. Sleepy 1
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Superjuice, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:10 am

oldschooldoom wrote:
Sevenoneself wrote:I feel bad for you. I hope you didn't travel too far! 

It was about an hour away. I made a day of it: hiking, theater, picture taking of Gary, Indiana, BBQ ribs in a rough part of town and going to the beach. Then sitting through the 2 warm up bands. 
The roughest part was getting back to my place at 1A, very sleepy. Sleepy 1

Sounds like you and Gary had a busy day!

Razz
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

oldschooldoom and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:46 pm

So far I've had a hard time getting into anything past Images & Words.  

If the material is TOO busy, too dense and complex, no melody or hooks, it loses me.

Trying their albums again.  Does anyone have recommends for a post-I&W album that is more melodic, less overly-technical, less over-indulgent?

I'm listening to Scenes From A Memory now and am liking it a lot so far.

I tried to listen to Awake and Train of Thought and could not get past the first songs, but am willing to give them another go sometime.

Distance Over Time was just dull.  Self-titled was too harsh if I remember correctly.  I liked Change of Seasons but that was mostly cover tunes.

So much talent in the band but I prefer melody over noodling.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

oldschooldoom and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:51 pm

I’m far from being an expert, but Systematic Chaos has some good tunes.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Constantine and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:55 pm

Thanks, I will add it to my playlist to check out.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:46 am

Constantine wrote:Thanks, I will add it to my playlist to check out.

Falling Into Infinity is their most commercially-accessible album. They were receiving pressure from the label to make sales; Portnoy says that he almost quit the band at that time.

It has some really good tunes. And it has real artistic emotion like I&W and Scenes from a Memory. Upbeat rockers like Just Let Me Breathe. Great ballads in Anna Lee, Peruvian Skies and Hollow Years. And a few progressive show-stoppers that aren't simply frenetic: Lines in the Sand and Trial of Tears. One of my favourite DT moments is in Lines with Doug Pinnick wailing away in the chorus.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Constantine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:53 am

Sevenoneself wrote:

Falling Into Infinity is their most commercially-accessible album. 
Awesome, I will check that out next.  That sounds up my alley Smile

I was really enjoying Systematic Chaos until "The Dark Eternal Night," which was the style of theirs that I do not like. 
But after skipping ahead, it is sounding a lot better and does seem like one of their better albums.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:50 pm

Constantine wrote:
Trying their albums again.  Does anyone have recommends for a post-I&W album that is more melodic, less overly-technical, less over-indulgent?

"Burning My Soul" off Falling Into Infinity (although I hate the ballads on that album)

"Panic Attack" - Octavarium (considered one of the all-time great bass lines)

"About to Crash" - Six Degrees

"These Walls" - Octavarium

"New Millenium" - Falling Into Infinity (very Tool-like in parts)

"The Root of All Evil" - Octavarium (killer intro riff)

"Constant Motion" - Systematic Chaos (you probably already know)
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:25 pm

MagnusPrime wrote:I'm still a big fan, but the songs/albums just don't seem to be as memorable/arranged as well since Portnoy left.

Superjuice wrote:Glad this poll only includes Portnoy stuff cuz I just haven't been able to get into the band since he left. 

It seems like Mike Mangini is obsessed with being a great technical drummer but Portnoy is obsessed with rock music.  He just knows how to write songs and his side life is just being a fanboy to so many other bands in almost every genre of rock.

oldschooldoom wrote:I saw DT last week. I sorely miss Mike's charm

I'm just so glad the band got the memo.  Petrucci or more like Myung is probably a fan of the Realm.  Somebody passed the word onto Portnoy and his people got right on it.  Well done everyone Thumbs up .  All is well in the world of metal.  You can thank us later.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:34 pm

Holy smokes! I just saw the news after you posted this. Well that's quite something; I didn't think it was going to happen. I thought DT would announce their retirement as the band members went on to other projects.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2