The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era

+6
Superjuice
Mr. Nice Guy
MagnusPrime
Pethead
Black Rider
Sevenoneself
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Favourite 3 Dream Theater albums (can pick more than one):

Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era I_vote_lcap3%Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era I_vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era I_vote_lcap28%Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era I_vote_rcap 28% 
[ 9 ]
Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era I_vote_lcap16%Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era I_vote_rcap 16% 
[ 5 ]
Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era I_vote_lcap3%Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era I_vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era I_vote_lcap16%Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era I_vote_rcap 16% 
[ 5 ]
Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era I_vote_lcap9%Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era I_vote_rcap 9% 
[ 3 ]
Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era I_vote_lcap13%Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era I_vote_rcap 13% 
[ 4 ]
Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era I_vote_lcap6%Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era I_vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era I_vote_lcap0%Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era I_vote_lcap6%Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era I_vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 32

Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era Empty Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era

Post by Sevenoneself Mon May 29, 2023 11:02 am

Our polls can only have 10 items, so I've kept it to studio albums from Portnoy's era.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era Empty Re: Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era

Post by Sevenoneself Mon May 29, 2023 11:05 am

My picks were Train of Thought, Scenes from a Memory, and 6 degrees (although I really only mean the second disc). My opinion is that ToT and Scenes carry the most amount of emotional energy, although Images & Words comes close at times.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era Empty Re: Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era

Post by Black Rider Mon May 29, 2023 11:06 am

Train of Thought
I&W
Awake
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon May 29, 2023 11:12 am

I like Six Degrees but it's bloated.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon May 29, 2023 11:21 am

I haven’t listened to enough of these to form a strong opinion.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Mon May 29, 2023 11:34 am

Black Rider wrote:Train of Thought
I&W
Awake

You like Awake? I might have to give it another spin. I was so disappointed with it that after 6 months or so I snapped the CD in half and trashed it.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon May 29, 2023 11:50 am

I find it to be their most metal album after Train and it's production is as good as they've ever had. I was surprised how much it was trashed at the time of release but it's different than I&W and I think that disappointed people.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon May 29, 2023 11:52 am

Most metalheads I know love Awake. Maybe it’s been more positively assessed in recent years?

And who snaps a CD of perfectly good music in half, you monster????
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Mon May 29, 2023 12:07 pm

I've only snapped a few in my lifetime, so that gives an indication of how awful I think it is!

From my memory the production was thin. I had never heard Images and Words at the time so I didn't have that to compare it to.

Obviously we have differing opinions! I'll give it another spin in the next week or two. Because, Black, you're probably more correct than me--you've listened to ALOT more music and I agree with your opinions more than others.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon May 29, 2023 12:13 pm

I knew a friend of a friend who bought St. Anger when it was released, put it in his car CD player, and a few minutes later rolled down the window, ejected the CD, and threw it from his car.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon May 29, 2023 12:24 pm

Funny Dream Theater story: 

Years ago I was working security and was driving around to our properties. I was in one of the housing complexes and pulled up by the dumpsters. Lying in front of the dumpster on the ground was a sleeve of CDs someone had thrown away. Since it wasn’t in the dumpster, I flipped through it. I found little of interest, except for two CDs: Spock’s Beard’s V and DT’s Systematic Chaos. I snagged them and then told my boss in case the guy hadn’t meant to throw them away and came looking for them. Turns out the Spock’s Beard was a little too banged up to work, but the DT worked great.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon May 29, 2023 12:52 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:I've only snapped a few in my lifetime, so that gives an indication of how awful I think it is!

From my memory the production was thin. I had never heard Images and Words at the time so I didn't have that to compare it to.

Obviously we have differing opinions! I'll give it another spin in the next week or two. Because, Black, you're probably more correct than me--you've listened to ALOT more music and I agree with your opinions more than others.

That's a lot of words to call me old. 😆
The production is more like the prog albums of old like Yes or Rush, let's the instruments breathe if that makes sense.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Mon May 29, 2023 9:11 pm

1. Black Clouds & Silver Linings

2. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence

3. Awake

DT were one of my absolute favorite bands for a long time. I'm still a big fan, but the songs/albums just don't seem to be as memorable/arranged as well since Portnoy left.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Superjuice and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Mon May 29, 2023 11:48 pm

Agreed. I honestly don't think it's because of Portnoy leaving, I think they were on that trajectory already. But it is noteworthy that the cut-off happened at his departure.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Nice Guy Wed May 31, 2023 6:40 am

My votes goes to Awake, Images and Words & Octavarium.
Mr. Nice Guy
Mr. Nice Guy
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Wed May 31, 2023 9:08 pm

Glad this poll only includes Portnoy stuff cuz I just haven't been able to get into the band since he left.  Having a tough time deciding which three - I got the first two as I&W and Metropolis, but the third could go to Octovarium, Awake, or even Six Degrees.  They all have their ups and downs. Awake seems to have the most good songs, but I love the epic track on Octavirium and the two rockers.  Six Degree has the amazing tracks The Great Debate and The Glass Prison: two of their best long tracks, but I don't care for the title track and all it's parts except for one. 

Oh wait, I forgot about Falling Into Infinity which is a personal fav.  The ballads are terribad but it has great epic songs (one with Doug Pinnick). There's good rockers, a killer instrumental, and the incomparable Peruvian Skies.  New Millennium might be their best, most inventive song.  That's the pick.

It seems like Mike Mangini is obsessed with being a great technical drummer but Portnoy is obsessed with rock music.  He just knows how to write songs and his side life is just being a fanboy to so many other bands in almost every genre of rock.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:55 am

Superjuice wrote:Glad this poll only includes Portnoy stuff cuz I just haven't been able to get into the band since he left.  Having a tough time deciding which three - I got the first two as I&W and Metropolis, but the third could go to Octovarium, Awake, or even Six Degrees.  They all have their ups and downs. Awake seems to have the most good songs, but I love the epic track on Octavirium and the two rockers.  Six Degree has the amazing tracks The Great Debate and The Glass Prison: two of their best long tracks, but I don't care for the title track and all it's parts except for one. 

Oh wait, I forgot about Falling Into Infinity which is a personal fav.  The ballads are terribad but it has great epic songs (one with Doug Pinnick). There's good rockers, a killer instrumental, and the incomparable Peruvian Skies.  New Millennium might be their best, most inventive song.  That's the pick.

It seems like Mike Mangini is obsessed with being a great technical drummer but Portnoy is obsessed with rock music.  He just knows how to write songs and his side life is just being a fanboy to so many other bands in almost every genre of rock.
I might start a poll on individual songs sometime soon, b/c, like you've noted, there's good and not-so-good on every album. 

Doug Pinnick NAILED the vocals on Lines in the Sand. I have a hard time listening to it live b/c nobody sings it like him.

I also love the song Octavarium; I think it's one of their best mid-length concept songs. Have you seen the live version with the cartoon character animation during the crazy instrumental part near the end?

I like New Millennium b/c Myung plays a chapman stick on that song. Very cool.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Superjuice likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:31 am

Images and Words is the only one I like.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Follower of Jesus and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:21 pm

Forgot one:

Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2F736x%2F10%2Fb8%2F3b%2F10b83b97362ace531f37cb1fa4084e66--change-of-seasons-dream-theater
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:52 am

Superjuice wrote:Forgot one:

Favorite 3 Dream Theater Albums, Portnoy era ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2F736x%2F10%2Fb8%2F3b%2F10b83b97362ace531f37cb1fa4084e66--change-of-seasons-dream-theater
Well darn it! I don't think I've listened to anything on this album other than the title track and I did totally forget it when creating the poll.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:03 am

Sevenoneself wrote:
Superjuice wrote:Forgot one:

Well darn it! I don't think I've listened to anything on this album other than the title track and I did totally forget it when creating the poll.
I've always considered it an EP.
It's basically just a 23 minute studio track with some live cover songs tacked on.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:21 am

TZ75 wrote:Images and Words is the only one I like.

Yup. Me too.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:17 am

I saw DT last week. I sorely miss Mike's charm

Images & Words will always be my fave DT album
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:18 pm

oldschooldoom wrote:I saw DT last week. I sorely miss Mike's charm

I watched part of that bootleg you posted. Looked generic and toned down (small drumset, no amps on stage, etc.). There were only a few songs on the setlist that excited me. So I won't be going to the concert that's near me (3.5 hrs away is near to me).
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:29 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:
oldschooldoom wrote:I saw DT last week. I sorely miss Mike's charm

I watched part of that bootleg you posted. Looked generic and toned down (small drumset, no amps on stage, etc.). There were only a few songs on the setlist that excited me. So I won't be going to the concert that's near me (3.5 hrs away is near to me).
I was underwhelmed. But I did stand and record PULL ME UNDER
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Superjuice and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next