The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Seventh Angel album has cooler cover art?

+7
Drawnsword
Raegoul
TZ75
MagnusPrime
Temple of Blood
Snert I
Pethead
11 posters

Go down

Cover art: Torment or Lament?

Which Seventh Angel album has cooler cover art? I_vote_lcap13%Which Seventh Angel album has cooler cover art? I_vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]
Which Seventh Angel album has cooler cover art? I_vote_lcap87%Which Seventh Angel album has cooler cover art? I_vote_rcap 87% 
[ 13 ]

Total Votes : 15

Which Seventh Angel album has cooler cover art? Empty Which Seventh Angel album has cooler cover art?

Post by Pethead Wed May 10, 2023 10:24 am

Between The Torment and Lament for the Weary, which album has cooler cover art?

Both are super cool, but I’m going Lament.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Which Seventh Angel album has cooler cover art? Empty Re: Which Seventh Angel album has cooler cover art?

Post by Snert I Wed May 10, 2023 10:27 am

I like the fantasy style of Rodney Matthews' cover arts.

As for Seventh Angel: I go for Lament for the weary, too.

Snert I
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Which Seventh Angel album has cooler cover art? Empty Re: Which Seventh Angel album has cooler cover art?

Post by Temple of Blood Wed May 10, 2023 10:34 am

When I was in college I saw a poster in the bookstore of the Lament cover (just the painting, no SA logo) and I didn't buy it.  I wish I had.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Pethead and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Wed May 10, 2023 11:39 am

Lament For The Weary. Great cover for a great album.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Pethead and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed May 10, 2023 12:34 pm

Both are excellent! But Lament has always intrigued me.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Wed May 10, 2023 3:08 pm

Had to go with the Torment as I kind of triggered this thread. I actually like both but something about the pose of the dude sitting on Lament seems a bit off.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Pethead, BaleMaster and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Drawnsword Wed May 10, 2023 4:21 pm

Lament For The Weary. I have the artwork as a Rodney Mathew's poster in a frame on the wall behind my PC. Mathew 11;28 is written underneath. His artwork has been a huge inspiration to me, i have 4 of his art books.

The odd thing about the lament artwork though is the way the warrior is sitting with his legs going up the stairs, it doesn't look natural with him being just above the edge of a stair. Maybe he's sitting on a skull? I imagine though the reason having his feet sitting towards going up was to imply that hes fighting his way up.There's even a door way with light coming out in the far top of the stairway and a glow of fire in the bottom parts of the stairway.
Such a cool piece with the narly spiked shaped stairway, the staggering size of the place, the stylized enemy sculptures, weapons, skulls and the warriors broken sword. Great story telling!
Drawnsword
Drawnsword
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://drawnswordgraphix.blogspot.co.nz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Wed May 10, 2023 5:23 pm

Lament For The Weary
Both are great covers but this one has always intrigued me every time I see it. Total. Greatness.
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Drawnsword, Pethead, TZ75 and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Beckster13 Wed May 10, 2023 10:39 pm

Lament is actually my all-time favorite album cover from any band, so that gets my vote.

Beckster13
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu May 11, 2023 12:48 am

Raegoul wrote:Had to go with the Torment as I kind of triggered this thread. I actually like both but something about the pose of the dude sitting on Lament seems a bit off.

Now that you pointed it out… it does seem peculiar the way he’s sitting. It’s like he’s hovering a bit or directly sitting on the edge of the lower step. It would make more sense if he sat on the higher step with his feet on the lower. But then he’d be looking back from the direction he came from. I don’t think he’s supposed to look back.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Drawnsword and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Thu May 11, 2023 1:10 am

TZ75 wrote:
Raegoul wrote:Had to go with the Torment as I kind of triggered this thread. I actually like both but something about the pose of the dude sitting on Lament seems a bit off.

Now that you pointed it out… it does seem peculiar the way he’s sitting. It’s like he’s hovering a bit or directly sitting on the edge of the lower step. It would make more sense if he sat on the higher step with his feet on the lower. But then he’d be looking back from the direction he came from. I don’t think he’s supposed to look back.
Yeah I am a stickler for stuff like that, this has been bugging me for years.  Smile
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Drawnsword and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu May 11, 2023 1:31 am

The Raegoul wrote:
TZ75 wrote:

Yeah I am a stickler for stuff like that, this has been bugging me for years.  Smile

Dear Mr. Rodney Matthews, could you please update your painting so the man can be sitting in a more realistic way? LOL
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears and Raegoul like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Thu May 11, 2023 2:22 am

Yeah, I've never been able to get over the fact that the dude sits in a way that looks like he's one inch away from rolling down the stairs backwards. His butt is too close to the edge of the step (in fact it almost looks like his butt isn't touching the step at all). His feet are resting on a higher step than where his butt is and that drives me crazy. It feels it's the most uncomfortable way a man can sit on stairs.

Maybe that's the point and the art behind the whole thing, but it makes me uneasy, and not in a good way but in a way a bad unnatural looking photoshopping does.

Other than that the cover art is fantastic.
I have to pick The Torment though.

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Drawnsword, TZ75, Dustofyears and Raegoul like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Thu May 11, 2023 2:32 am

Glad to see a few people had picked up on the technical prob with the pic. I love that album and that album cover. Figure Rodney had maybe got into a glitch and made a call late in the game and tried to adjust things.

Always thought it would've been better if the guy was crawling up the stairs, his hands reaching for the next step, and perhaps a guy in tattered cloth rags rather than a warrior. Alittle like Believer first album but on different angle and with tattered cloak, like a leper or something.

However, Rodney was a big art hero for me when younger and I still really love this cover. Torment is amazing too, a great Sc-fi horror fantasy cover. But In the end of the day, gotta run with Lament despite the major flaw (I can easily overlook it).
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Drawnsword, Pethead and TZ75 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu May 11, 2023 3:49 am

Apparently the artist Rodney Matthews is also a long time drummer and he recorded a symphonic prog rock album with some of his good friends such as: guitarist Jeff Scheetz and keyboardist Oliver Wakeman (son of Rick Wakeman from Yes).

Each song recorded is inspired by a painting by Rodney. 

TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu May 11, 2023 4:02 am

Dustofyears wrote:Glad to see a few people had picked up on the technical prob with the pic. I love that album and that album cover. Figure Rodney had maybe got into a glitch and made a call late in the game and tried to adjust things.

Always thought it would've been better if the guy was crawling up the stairs, his hands reaching for the next step, and perhaps a guy in tattered cloth rags rather than a warrior. Alittle like Believer first album but on different angle and with tattered cloak, like a leper or something.

However, Rodney was a big art hero for me when younger and I still really love this cover. Torment is amazing too, a great Sc-fi horror fantasy cover. But In the end of the day, gotta run with Lament despite the major flaw (I can easily overlook it).

I like your idea of the guy crawling up the steps like a famished person that barely escaped death. It would be more dramatic. But I think Rodney was going for a symbolic “pilgrims progress” look. 

The funny thing is I never really noticed the awkward sitting position (other than he’s on a very narrow path winding up from a very deep drop into the glow of some kind of hell fire. Now that it’s been pointed out, I can’t unsee it. Thanks a lot guys! LOL
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Drawnsword, Dustofyears and Raegoul like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down