The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite third thrash album?

+16
bgsully
CrimsonWarrior
eatbugs
TZ75
Sevenoneself
Dustofyears
scottmitchell74
Constantine
mothy
Ammocas
Grindboy
Raegoul
MagnusPrime
zelote
Black Rider
Pethead
20 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Favorite third thrash album? - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite third thrash album?

Post by Airola Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:16 pm

Superjuice wrote:
StevenCressler wrote:
Black Rider wrote:
seth wrote:Very unpopular opinion apparently, but I’m actually not too big a fan of POD, with the exception of a couple of songs. Way better than the two albums to follow, but the transition from more melodic vocals of the previous albums (especially StB) to mostly shouting/barking was a move in the wrong direction imo
Stb sounds like a cat on helium half the time. 😆
Nah, the falsetto on that album is great. I normally wouldn't like stuff like that, but I think it sounds really good. Actually, reading this made me decide to put on Ready or Not lol
I wonder why they went cold turkey on the falsetto vocals?  It would have been an even better album had they just mixed it in some like Sacred Warrior's "The Flood."  Ted must've just bent the knee to the current trends where old-school metal just wasn't cool anymore.  I know he laid out some rules on POD like they were to avoid thrash cliche's like 'cut time' (think of the Master of Puppets chorus).

By cut time Ted meant very fast thrash beats. 2/2 cut time beat is a "polka" beat that's used in a lot of punk and thrash metal. It can be slow and it can be fast. I recall he specifically mentioned Psycho Surgery (the song) when he talked about cut time in some interview.
He didn't say they avoided cut time on POD. They did that on Vanishing Lessons. No more fast thrash/speed metal.

They heavily decreased the amount of falsetto because only something like 7% of fans liked it based on feedback. I don't remember the exact percentage Ted mentioned but I know it was 10% tops, and I think it was less than that.

They didn't completely stop doing falsetto. There are a few songs on both Psycho Surgery and Pathogenic where falsetto is used, but it's on the background and mostly very hard to hear (except at the end of Broken Chromosomes).

I personally love Guy's falsetto vocals. It's one of the reasons I immediately fell in love with Ready Or Not the first time I heard it.

Last edited by Airola on Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Airola
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, TZ75 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:37 pm

Pethead wrote:It’s also interesting to note that Guy doesn’t use any falsetto on Polarized.

Do you mean the song or the whole album?

Because in the whole album Guy does use falsetto in three songs.
Freeloading Larceny has falsetto background vocals in Guy's bridge(?) parts.
War in the Sky ends with a falsetto scream, and Stop the Bleeding begins and ends with a falsetto.

Airola
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:39 pm

Fair enough, I was mainly thinking of using them like on StB where they take the lead on multiple songs.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Temple of Blood and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3