The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rediscovering some bands...

+5
Pethead
Frozen Fire
mothy
Kerrick
Soldier777
9 posters

Go down

Rediscovering some bands... Empty Rediscovering some bands...

Post by Soldier777 Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:58 am

Because of youtube, Boones Overstock, Girder and Roxx, I've been getting into some bands lately. I became a Trytan fan earlier this year and I've heard of Narnia since around 2001 and Die Happy in the early 90s through Heaven's Metal. I have some Narnia and a Die Happy album on order. I heard their music before and didn't bother with them. For some reason lately I seme to really like their music. I also had the Leviticus I Shall Conquer cassette back around 1987 and heard their other albums on youtube and didn't care for it except for parts of Setting Fire to the Earth and most of Knights of Heaven and Bobfest Live. The past couple of months I seem to like the first 3 albums much more so I ordered all 5 Leviticus albums and the Bjorn Stisson solo album he released around 1987. Are there bands/albums you didn't care for years ago and passed on and in recent years you went back and got into them and now own those albums?

Last edited by Soldier777 on Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood, Pethead and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Rediscovering some bands... Empty Re: Rediscovering some bands...

Post by Kerrick Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:10 pm

Warlord is the first to come to mind for me.  (Funny, as I typed that, their song Lucifer's Hammer came up on shuffle.)  Fates Warning was one of the earlier metal bands I discovered so I was of course familiar with Warlord (since they shared the same drummer).  But at that time I think Warlord sounded too cheesy/dated or something to me so I never looked into 'em further.  Then just a year or so ago there was some discussion here about 'em and I gave a listen with fresh ears and promptly ordered all their albums haha.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Temple of Blood and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:20 pm

Ive rediscovered alot of bands here. When I was younger if it wasnt extreme I didnt give it the time of day. Now that Im old(er) Ive been able to get into so many bands that I passed on years ago.

Thanks CMR!!
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Temple of Blood, bigtreads, Kerrick, Frozen Fire, Pethead and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:34 pm

I didn't know 99% of the bands talked about here until I started coming. If it wasn't Stryper, Petra, Mortification, or Tourniquet I didn't know much about it. A lot of the 80's rock/metal stuff I would have eaten up back in the day but I didn't know. A band like Idle Cure would have been a childhood staple for me if I had known. This place is always a challenge to my tastes and an open invitation to explore and re-explore. 

On your first post, I also went back and re-listened to the Leviticus albums recently and absolutely fell in the love with the first two.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Temple of Blood, Soldier777, Pethead and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:27 pm

I’m constantly finding bands I’ve missed thanks to this board. I love it! 

Warlord is a great example. I wasn’t familiar with them before, but they rule! I’ll also mention Betrayal. I’ve owned The Passing for years but never got into it until this board inspired me to give it a better shot and now it’s one of my favorite Christian thrash albums.

I just need more money  Razz
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Temple of Blood likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:07 pm

Kerrick wrote:Warlord is the first to come to mind for me.  (Funny, as I typed that, their song Lucifer's Hammer came up on shuffle.)  Fates Warning was one of the earlier metal bands I discovered so I was of course familiar with Warlord (since they shared the same drummer).  But at that time I think Warlord sounded too cheesy/dated or something to me so I never looked into 'em further.  Then just a year or so ago there was some discussion here about 'em and I gave a listen with fresh ears and promptly ordered all their albums haha.

Do you have issues with any of their lyrics? I'm not sure about this "Black Mass" song on the first EP and album.
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:23 am

Surprisingly, no.  Not in the way you mean.  The bands I liked then I still like and have most of their stuff anyway and the bands I couldn't get into then I still can't.

I AM rediscovering bands or albums I like but haven't listened to in a long time because there are only so many places I can play a cassette anymore.  Detritus is a good example: I have and love both original cassettes but never listened to them much, but now that I have the CD reissues I play them a lot more.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CrimsonWarrior Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:20 pm

I'm pretty young and this forum has helped me discover good music from before my existence. Most of what I like is from the 2000s but I've discovered a surprising amount of 90s music that I now really appreciate, especially the classic Christian thrash metal albums.
CrimsonWarrior
CrimsonWarrior
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:01 pm

Son of Nun wrote:Do you have issues with any of their lyrics? I'm not sure about this "Black Mass" song on the first EP and album.

I do wonder about those lyrics now that I've read them.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:24 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Son of Nun wrote:Do you have issues with any of their lyrics? I'm not sure about this "Black Mass" song on the first EP and album.

I do wonder about those lyrics now that I've read them.
I see three options:

1. It’s recounting something without endorsing it.

2. The songwriter(s) got saved later on. 

3. It was a different lyricist. 

I don’t know the answer, just speculating.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:33 pm

It's been a while since I read 'em but I think at the time I remember giving them the benefit of the doubt that they were just describing an eerie scene a la Maiden and The Number Of The Beast - rather than glorifying it.

Honestly what bothers me more about their lyrics is on Father where they sing, "Father... you died for my sins..."  It was the SON who died for our sins.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:44 pm

Kerrick wrote:It's been a while since I read 'em but I think at the time I remember giving them the benefit of the doubt that they were just describing an eerie scene a la Maiden and The Number Of The Beast - rather than glorifying it.

Honestly what bothers me more about their lyrics is on Father where they sing, "Father... you died for my sins..."  It was the SON who died for our sins.
Yeah, that’s what we call heresy…
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down