The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Dale Thompson overexposed?

+27
MagnusPrime
scottmitchell74
crucifyd
Tombie
Follower of Jesus
Kerrick
Fundy
BaleMaster
Soldier777
Son of Nun
Pethead
oldschooldoom
average joe
Frozen Fire
TZ75
zelote
Dustofyears
Black Rider
Constantine
deathisgain
eatbugs
mothy
cailen
Temple of Blood
Staybrite
alldatndensum
Lex Metalis
31 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Is Dale Thompson overexposed? - Page 6 Empty Re: Is Dale Thompson overexposed?

Post by Lex Metalis Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:16 am

Brothers, not wanting to be that kind of annoying person, but already being lol... but I think it's better that we don't start debating Dale Thompson's complicated theological questions. From experience in situations experienced in groups on Facebook, it is usually the beginning of something very problematic haha
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Staybrite and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JaggedDoctrine Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:32 am

Just saw this post and thought I could add my perspective to it, since our band needs to be added to the 2023 list Wink
Not sure if there are any other bands that have used Dale as a vocalist on this forum, if so, I missed it while reading the backlog of this post.
Anyway, there are a lot of session musicians that play on a TON of albums.  Even session vocalists.  
To me, it's like Dale is being a session vocalist.  Except, he happens to also be the lead singer of Bride, which is in my top 3 artists all time.
So, when I had the opportunity to use one of my all time favorite vocalists on a Jagged Doctrine album, I had to check into it.
Over the years, Jagged Doctrine has had several guest lead vocalists on songs.  So, when I first checked with Dale, I was thinking one song.

So, I sent him an unreleased song we had recorded in 2012.  I had never released it, because I was not happy with the way the vocals sounded.  
I sent him the song with the original vocals on it, the lyrics, and then an instrumental version of the song.  He sent back his vocal tracks for it.
I was floored.  The guy does an amazing job!  From that point, I kept thinking, "if he did that with this song, what would he do with an entire album?"
I mean, I've been happy with Jagged Doctrine vocals before this, but when you hear something that is next level, and you want your album to sound as good as possible, what else do you do?

Also, as an fyi, I actually reached out to other well known singers in the Christian metal realm for possible guest spots on the album at the same time I originally reached out to Dale.  None of the others worked out.  I mean, once Dale did the vocals on that first track, I would have found it hard using some of the other vocalists anyway.  Dale just really nailed the vocals.  The quality of vocals for the cost was jaw dropping, really. 

Anyway, I just thought I'd add an artist perspective to this topic.  If you have any questions about my thoughts behind any of it, ask away, I'll gladly give "the other side's perspective"
JaggedDoctrine
JaggedDoctrine
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

http://jaggeddoctrine.com

oldschooldoom and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Metalis Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:48 am

The main issue here is not the talent or quality of these albums and projects.

Personally, I don't like most of it, but that's something very particular. But the fact is that it is overexposed. The use of the Dale Thompson name/brand no longer has the commercial and marketing impact it once did.

Yes, there is a whole market for studio musicians, but it is something that is generally more moldable with each work done. A vocalist brings with them a much greater identity, something very notable, which ends when it is used too much, losing the charm of the thing.

If X number of bands use the same vocal every year, it becomes boring for the listener, regardless of the quality or not of the releases.
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

deathisgain and JaggedDoctrine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by cailen Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:03 am

cailen wrote:Dale Thompson is a very skillful singer and adept, he is a very professional artist
 and relibly and speedy working on his projects.

He is delivering in a very short time lot of exeptional vocals. He is first of all a very gifted singer, that is all I can say.

As I have said before.
Our songs "Rheingold", "Panta Rhei" or "Valley of Achor" for example wouldn´t sound the same without having him on board.
It also depends on songwriting, mix and master for shure.

We all love music and want to achieve and have the best result.

The listener is able to choose.
But remember: Times have changed. The musicians don´t make any profit anymore.
For most of us it is a money loosing business.
cailen
cailen
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Christian metal Horde, Pethead, JaggedDoctrine and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JaggedDoctrine Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:13 am

Lex Metalis wrote:The main issue here is not the talent or quality of these albums and projects.

Personally, I don't like most of it, but that's something very particular. But the fact is that it is overexposed. The use of the Dale Thompson name/brand no longer has the commercial and marketing impact it once did.

Yes, there is a whole market for studio musicians, but it is something that is generally more moldable with each work done. A vocalist brings with them a much greater identity, something very notable, which ends when it is used too much, losing the charm of the thing.

If X number of bands use the same vocal every year, it becomes boring for the listener, regardless of the quality or not of the releases.

Yes, I understand the reasoning for the post.   I had debated this same topic with some friends before finalizing the deal to use Dale for the entire album.  There were many pros and cons to using someone who is overexposed, at least in the small context of Christian Metal.  If I were just a listener of Christian Metal and not a creator, I may wonder why a band would use someone who is singing on so many projects.  So, I thought it would be a worthwhile addition to give that side. 
The topic kind of reminds me of the late 80's/early 90's when using the Elefante brothers for production had a stigma.  Had I been recording at that time, I likely would have used them if I could because they made things sound more polished than a lot of what was coming out at that time.  

It's a tough decision when you are making music and wanting to be heard.  For us using Dale, for example, there are some on here that will likely not give our album a listen.  But odds are, had we not used Dale, they would not have given us a listen anyway. 
As an example, I've sold more non-Dale related Jagged Doctrine albums in the past 2 months than I had in the past 8 years.  So, it has helped us get our music out there, not just the Dale vocal ones.
Again, I realize that has little to do with the original post, but I find it still worth noting.  Smile
JaggedDoctrine
JaggedDoctrine
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

http://jaggeddoctrine.com

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:33 am

I wouldn’t say his music is “boring” just because he’s in a lot of bands. He is undeniably a very good vocalist, and while I’m personally not into the style of some of his bands, it isn’t because he’s the singer. Another example is Christian Liljegren, one of the best voices in Christian metal imo, who is also in a lot of bands but produces some extremely good music
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and JaggedDoctrine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:06 pm

Gotta admire established musical artists and vocalists that have a passion to continue when they don't need to (or their peers cannot) and still sound great

You might say Dale is a capable HIRED GUN https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfGqSP7_64Y
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

JaggedDoctrine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by cailen Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:56 pm

oldschooldoom wrote:Gotta admire established musical artists and vocalists that have a passion to continue when they don't need to (or their peers cannot) and still sound great

You might say Dale is a capable HIRED GUN https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfGqSP7_64Y

Rockin Loud Guitar guy Rockin Loud
cailen
cailen
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

oldschooldoom and JaggedDoctrine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6