The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MESSENGER - IN TO WIN

+7
oldschooldoom
Ammocas
alldatndensum
Constantine
Follower of Jesus
Black Rider
My Awesome Timothy
11 posters

Go down

MESSENGER  - IN TO WIN Empty MESSENGER - IN TO WIN

Post by My Awesome Timothy Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:07 am

Wow 🤩, I am completely blown away with this album.  Just phenomenal up there as one of the best of 2020 for sure.  You don’t believe me? .......

https://heavensmetalmagazine.com/index.php/2020/12/15/messenger-in-to-win/

MESSENGER  - IN TO WIN 35fc8610

Last edited by My Awesome Timothy on Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
My Awesome Timothy
My Awesome Timothy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

MESSENGER  - IN TO WIN Empty Re: MESSENGER - IN TO WIN

Post by My Awesome Timothy Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:23 am

MESSENGER: In to Win
 5 days ago  Keven Crothers 
Without saying too much more Messenger’s In To Win IS A BEAST!!! One of the best releases for 2020!! Miss it at your own peril.

MESSENGER  - IN TO WIN CD-Mask-Nov-1

Messenger’s latest album In To Win is one of the best five albums of 2020.  High quality song writing, top notch production, fantastic musicianship is just some of the attributes that jump out immediately upon listening to the disc.
Honestly this album is light years ahead of their previous release 2012’s You Choose.  If I had known how good this album would be…
There was inkling when I heard the debut single earlier this year, Blind Sided.  A tremendous bit of heavy metal/hard rock fury, which harkened back to an Iron Maiden vibe without being a rip off. That song forced me to replay it some 3-4 times back to back. Infectious is an understatement. Lead guitarist Vladimir Gurin just BRINGS IT here, melodic but so much cranking energy that it just pumps you up!!

For the uninitiated, Messenger hail from Washington D.C. and play a traditional old school style heavy metal/hard rock.  Now some will just turn their nose up at that description but I’m telling you this album drives, cranks, rocks, kicks arse, FLAT OUT!!  The song writing this time out is a bit more direct and with the improved production, they’ve just captured lighting in a bottle this time out. Without falling into tropes and tired worn out cliché’s musically or lyrically Messenger delivers a monster album.
Album opener Time Machine sets the stage for the rest with its heavy opening riff and melodic chorus passages.  The layered guitars drive this track and bring some much energy, I think I’m gonna start head banging right now!!! BAM!!!  Album closer Fear No Evil is another pile driving track which plows along full tilt, but doesn’t forget its melodic underpinnings. Drummer Mike Zahorchak delivers the goods throughout, punchy tight and rhythmic.

Last Supper starts off with an acoustic guitar which leads you to think it might be a ballad and while one might call it one, I would argue it’s a more melodic yet moody musical passage. Lots of atmosphere with some dramatic effect, when singing of the last meal Jesus ate with his disciples how can one not?  Satan’s Nightmare offers up another great riff with some fantastic playing from Vladimir. Lyrically it might come across a bit trite but nonetheless effective.
There are so many solid songs here that to just break them all down I think would be a bit dull myself.  Seriously; Messenger at Arms, Take Flight, Anchor, and July 5 all scream of top shelf material.  Crows and the Hawk is another solid tune with very timely subject matter lyrically albeit a little clunky in the chorus, a tad too “sing songy” to these ears.

I would be remiss if I failed to mention the absolute BEST instrumental of 2020 – Trial and Triumph. It is not five minutes of guitar noodling but a melodic track which in a similar harkens back to the Scorpions “Coast to Coast.”  A great riff with melodic passages that will force you to listen again and again, just MIND BLOWING!  I admit enjoying instrumentals but this one is brilliant.  “Transylvania” is another comparison to structure as far as the journey this song takes you on.
Messenger’s captain, founder, (current) bass player, vocalist and leader Frank Clifton Herring delivers a fabulous performance throughout.  His baritone vocal cuts through smoothly with subtlety and force. However on this album Rich Sandoval handles all the bass duties with driving force solid playing.

The production is crisp and full with plenty of punch.  Every instrument has a place and isn’t obscured with too much layering. Listening in DT 770 headphones I get to hear everything perfectly without favoritism.
Oh and one more thing!!  Lyrically Messenger is bold but tries to not just rehash the “typical” Jesus per minute content many other bands have and continue to attempt. Adding a bit more depth and relevance to each song, it’s uplifting without being cheesy or tired.

Without saying too much more Messenger’s In To Win IS A BEAST!!!  One of the best releases for 2020!! Miss it at your own peril.

MESSENGER  - IN TO WIN Messenger-band-photo-1024x819

MESSENGER  - IN TO WIN 99d37d37a0981be833fa428fa4034a93?s=150&d=mm&r=g

Keven Crothers

My Awesome Timothy
My Awesome Timothy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:08 pm

Really upped the quality on this one and it reminds me of The Sacrificed with better vocal production.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:31 pm

Incredible album! It’s vying with Stryper’s ETDB for album of the year.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:52 pm

I have listened to this album twice now and the band have really upped their game dramatically.  
The production, songwriting, melodic hooks are all top notch. 

I'd say "In To Win" is the Surprise Of The Year for sure.

Last edited by Constantine on Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Ammocas and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:14 pm

THIS THING SOUNDS HUGE!!!!
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Black Rider, Ammocas and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:32 pm

It totally ROCKS...this thing IS SMOKING!!!
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Constantine and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:13 pm

I agree with all statements.
I have been really looking forward to this album for a couple years.
I knew it would rock.
I had a bit of a foretaste 2 summer's ago while following the
band around the Maryland area.
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Ammocas, Constantine and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fundy Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:02 pm

You know that feeling when you stick some new music on, and straight away you have this beaming smile across your face?

That's what I got whilst listening to Messener - In To Win.

Incredible album!
Fundy
Fundy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Black Rider, Follower of Jesus and Constantine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:51 pm

So glad this thread was made! I listened to Time Machine back in the summer and passed it off. The lyrics seemed a bit goofy and I didn't even make it through the whole track. People continued to rave about this and this thread had me go back and listen again. Picked it up two weeks ago shortly after this thread. 

Thoughts now:

1. The lyrics are POWERFUL on this album! Amazing. They tackle some really diverse topics and do it with great boldness and gospel clarity.

2. The vocals are so good! Clean, powerful, classic in every sense. Lot's of personality that makes their delivery very personal and brings a unique passion.

3. The songs are all unique. This is no retread, copycat 80's album. This is fresh and each song has something new to offer. They are all growers. No matter how much I liked them to start they all get better as I listen. 

4. Instrumentally everybody is holding it down. The drumming is tight, busy, yet powerful. The guitar playing is unique. Lot's of cool solos and added details in every song. It's a major reason why the songs are growers. There is more to hear each time.

5. The sound is monstrous. Some of the best production I've heard on an album in this style in years! I'm amazed this is independent.

6. Are their other albums anything like this in quality? Are they available in physical form?
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Black Rider and Constantine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:08 pm

Frozen Fire wrote:6. Are their other albums anything like this in quality? Are they available in physical form?
Excellent review / write-up.   In answer to your question, their other albums overall are not nearly as good as this one.  
That is why this one took me by surprise.  I also wasn't thrilled with the singles they released prior to the album (especially "The Crows & The Hawk").  

Their website isn't easy to find but here is what they have available:

Messenger Merchandise

You can check out their full albums on Spotify.  I also created a "Best Of Messenger" playlist there. 
 Just type that into the search bar if you want to check it out.   
They do have a few other good songs like "King of Kings" and "America, Why."
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fundy Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:25 am

Their previous albums aren't as good, but In To Win is almost flawless, so that would be a big ask anyway!  I'd definitely get You Choose, as that has some brilliant songs on it.  The Sacrifice, The Risen Christ and Christian Rocker are my top tunes on that album.

Fundy
Fundy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Fundy Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:26 am

In To Win was my album of the year 2020.
Fundy
Fundy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:36 am

Musically, I think "In To Win" is their best to date.  However, I think that lyrically their 2012 album "You Choose" is best.  Of course, there isn't a bad album in the bunch.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelpz27 Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:43 pm

Was blessed to review this album recently... check it out if you like! 

https://www.jesusfreakhideout.com/indiemusic/InToWin.asp
Joelpz27
Joelpz27
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:18 pm

Good review.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by TWWBAlan Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:05 am

I knew nothing of this band or album until I saw all you guys posting about it.  I have heard some of it and it sounds amazing!  It's sonic presence is some of the best I have heard.  I cant wait to dig into it more!

TWWBAlan
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Constantine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down