The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Deliverance's What a Joke should be rereleased

+9
Lex Metalis
bodachi
crucifyd
Temple of Blood
Frozen Fire
eatbugs
TZ75
Black Rider
BaleMaster
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How Deliverance's What a Joke should be rereleased - Page 2 Empty Re: How Deliverance's What a Joke should be rereleased

Post by TZ75 Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:24 am

“Rescue” also has that weird early power metal singing. What A Joke was a deliberate move to a more aggressive thrash shouting style mixed with the melodic singing. That song definitely doesn’t belong on What A Joke.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

How Deliverance's What a Joke should be rereleased - Page 2 Empty Re: How Deliverance's What a Joke should be rereleased

Post by average joe Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:35 pm

“Can’t beat Jimmy’s guitar sound and rhythm playing. He’s in the same league as Hetfield, Scott Ian and Dimebag.”

Couldn’t agree more. Few can touch Jimmy’s rhythm playing, especially in the Christian realm. Speed/tone/tempo/technical prowess...it’s all there. So much untapped/unutilized talent left on the sideline. He could have a Metallica speed/thrash sized library. At least he put 2-1/2 albums worth of magic on record before abandoning the immense speed/thrash rhythm skillet he was blessed with. I couldn’t imagine being able to play like that and choosing not to, especially in lieu of vanilla/artsy rock. It just goes to show how talented he truly is to be able to to pick up something so well without even really being into it! To even be in the discussion with Hatfield and Darrell is amazing if you think about it!

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:07 pm

I wonder if WAJ was a attempt to make them the Christian version of Stormtroopers of Death.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:16 pm

WildWorld wrote:I wonder if WAJ was a attempt to make them the Christian version of Stormtroopers of Death.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that they had to contractually put out an album, but they were either burnt out, or didn't have enough material, so they threw the joke songs on there.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:34 pm

WildWorld wrote:I wonder if WAJ was a attempt to make them the Christian version of Stormtroopers of Death.

Yep. Jimmy has even been quoted as saying SOD’s guitar tone was motivation.

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Temple of Blood likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:53 pm

average joe wrote:“Can’t beat Jimmy’s guitar sound and rhythm playing. He’s in the same league as Hetfield, Scott Ian and Dimebag.”

Couldn’t agree more. Few can touch Jimmy’s rhythm playing, especially in the Christian realm. Speed/tone/tempo/technical prowess...it’s all there. So much untapped/unutilized talent left on the sideline. He could have a Metallica speed/thrash sized library. At least he put 2-1/2 albums worth of magic on record before abandoning the immense speed/thrash rhythm skillet he was blessed with. I couldn’t imagine being able to play like that and choosing not to, especially in lieu of vanilla/artsy rock. It just goes to show how talented he truly is to be able to to pick up something so well without even really being into it! To even be in the discussion with Hatfield and Darrell is amazing if you think about it!
Have to disagree.  He has been interviewed many, many times that he'd grown weary of the Metallica comparisons and thereafter desired to chart untapped territory.
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:25 pm

BaleMaster wrote:
average joe wrote:“Can’t beat Jimmy’s guitar sound and rhythm playing. He’s in the same league as Hetfield, Scott Ian and Dimebag.”

Have to disagree.  He has been interviewed many, many times that he'd grown weary of the Metallica comparisons and thereafter desired to chart untapped territory.

Ah yes, the untapped territory of David Bowie and/or Queensryche comparisons.  lol! 

Seriously though, Jimmy is great at whatever style he chooses to play and I've enjoyed all of his work to varying degrees. He's never made a bad album IMHO.

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:42 pm

BaleMaster wrote:

AKA distorted rationale for being okay with sounding more like Bowie clone than D ever sounded like Metallica. That my friend is rationalization for not really being into your talent. They never sounded much like Metallica to me. To say they sounded like Metallica would be like saying they sounded like Metallica simply because both played uptempo speed/thrash. That where the comparisons end IMO (vocals, music, lyrics, and songwriting are all pretty distinctly different as to never cause any confusion whatsoever).

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:15 pm

It definitely was. It’s obvious. No other band did songs like that before SOD. They influenced a ton of bands in thrash and crossover punk. And we all know the Christian metal market always had to have a Christian spinoff of secular bands.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:23 pm

To my ears, Deliverance had some very obvious influences that were on full display. The first two albums were Metallica, Slayer and Queensryche. What A Joke was SOD and late 80s Sepultura. Everything since then: David Bowie and Metallica’s Black album (minus the last one and Assimilation).
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:51 pm

I love WAJ just as it was released. I wouldn’t change a thing.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2