The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody ever into Silage? Bonus: Rap-Rock/Rapcore discussion

4 posters

Go down

Anybody ever into Silage? Bonus: Rap-Rock/Rapcore discussion Empty Anybody ever into Silage? Bonus: Rap-Rock/Rapcore discussion

Post by Superjuice Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:41 pm

I hated 3rd wave ska...

That being said, I kinda loved this band.  They were pretty goofy yet competent and skilled in songwriting.  I found them unique amongst the Supertones cavalry.

Was anybody else this clever in ska?  These guys were a mish-mash of styles though....

Last edited by Superjuice on Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Anybody ever into Silage? Bonus: Rap-Rock/Rapcore discussion Empty Re: Anybody ever into Silage? Bonus: Rap-Rock/Rapcore discussion

Post by Superjuice Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:51 pm

Some samples:

Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Anybody ever into Silage? Bonus: Rap-Rock/Rapcore discussion Empty Re: Anybody ever into Silage? Bonus: Rap-Rock/Rapcore discussion

Post by Superjuice Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:30 pm

This song is absolutely stunning as an example of 90's pop-rock:

This also could have been a hit (everything on the album is a potential hit)
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:58 pm

I never really listened to the band although I am sure I used to have the CD's from when I was in my mad collecting phase (er...glad that is over!).  I spot-checked these on YT and the 1st one is goofy but seems more fun, while the 2nd "Vegas" CD sounds more like Third Eye Blind with a touch of 311.  

I like 3rd wave ska in small doses.  Bands like Reel Big Fish, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Buck-O-Nine, Sublime, a few other songs here and there.  However I prefer the more rock-reggae kind of sound from bands like 311, The Channelsurfers, Earthsuit, P.O.D., Long Beach Dub All-Stars....Sublime and Buck-O-Nine were also good at this.   As you said, these bands do tend to blend or juggle different styles.

A few 90's Christian rock bands that I thought deserved more attention were Three Crosses, Ghoti Hook, maybe Bleach.  Plankeye's 1st album "Spill" was also pretty good.  On the hardcore side, Six Feet Deep, Stavesacre, Strongarm, and Sometime Sunday had some good moments, especially Six Feet Deep.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:38 pm

Were you into Pax217 at all?  Totally in the 311 scheme of things.  Funny, I started going through their songs again today after it was a Youtube suggestion from a Silage song.

I was a huge Stavesacre fan then they changed their sound with more of an emo vibe.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:25 am

Well here's the deal....I was never really into rap metal / nu metal when it was popular.  
So there were many bands that I never heard of back then.  About 2 years ago, I discovered a whole bunch of bands that I now like.  Pax217 was at the top of the list, and Earthsuit.   I also discovered Thousand Foot Krutch, Disciple, 38th Parallel, CR33, (early) Project 86, Justifide, Fiveforty, Eso, Rod Laver, Beanbag, Jacks Of All Trades, and others.  So it was like a new world to me, just maybe 15-20 years after the fact Smile

Agree that Stavesacre really lost their way with a boring style change.  
I would say the same for a number of those early Tooth & Nail or Solidstate bands.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Superjuice likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:29 pm

Jacks Of All Trades?  Never thought I would hear that band's name whispered around here.  I actually saw them live in 2001 and it was a pretty good show.  Really young guys at the time.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:04 pm

I enjoyed Stavesacre's style change though I prefer the first two albums. Have you guys heard their latest? It's not the first two but not Speakeasy either.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:23 pm

Would that be MCMXCV from 2017?    I checked out a few songs on YT, I'll check out a few more.   
It seems to have a bit of a Helmet vibe, with better vocals.  What I heard sounded pretty good.. 
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:11 am

I've pretty much listened to all the Stavesacre stuff and the first two are classics.  I only sampled the last one and it's still missing those Jeff Bellew driving riffs like you'd hear on Chatterbox.  However, I think the self-titled one is really good and I've listened to it a ton.  "Why Good People Suffer?" might be their all-time greatest song.

How To Live WIth a Curse is pretty strong and Against the Silence is a great EP.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guenther321 Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:16 pm

I love a lot of ska from all waves. Silage was not a ska band. I did like the 2nd album though.

Really liked Pax 217's 1st album and the live album they released after the break up. Never really listened to the 2nd album.

Guenther321
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:01 pm

IMO, the second PAX is just as good as the first.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guenther321 Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:34 pm

I'll have to check it out...i might have it, just never really listened to it...

I'm curious, they have made the live album available for free, so is it OK if I post the link here?

There is 3 options - 1 just live album (free), 2 live + a bonus track, 3 live + bonus track + concert film.
Just wanted to ask before I posted it....

Guenther321
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:04 pm

Reviving this thread for the rapcore / rap-rock discussion...

I've been very much into Every Day Life (EDL) lately.  Am currently making a "best of" playlist on Spotify from their 4 albums.

Can anyone recommend any other bands, albums, or songs that are similar to EDL in terms of the heavy riffs combined with rap?   I know some but don't feel like I have a good enough handle on the sub-genre.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down