The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How important is a chorus to a song

3 posters

Go down

How important is a chorus to a song Empty How important is a chorus to a song

Post by WildWorld Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:10 am

How important are choruses when it comes to songs? For example, a few years ago when Stryper dropped "Take it to the Cross", a lot of the consensus (including mine) was that while the verses leading up to the chorus were good, the chorus itself was inane and annoying (sorry Michael), and it essentially became a meme of sorts in the metal scene. On the other hand, I've heard songs (particularly in the metalcore genre) where the chorus is great, but the verses are lacking. So what's your opinion (of course, this only applies to songs that have actual choruses).

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

How important is a chorus to a song Empty Re: How important is a chorus to a song

Post by alldatndensum Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:12 pm

A good song writer would have a strong verse and then drive the song with a big chorus or hook as it is sometimes called.  Of course, that doesn't always have to be.  Look at "Hells Bells" by AC/DC and "Lick It Up" by KISS.  They both were big songs for the bands but had limited lyrics in the chorus.  They just knew how to take up the energy and build the song without a well constructed chorus.

So, a big chorus is a great way to make a song great, but it isn't always necessary.  I would say not to get locked into one particular mode of writing as anything goes.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

How important is a chorus to a song Empty Re: How important is a chorus to a song

Post by eatbugs Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:46 pm

Any part of a song is important.  A weak verse or a weak chorus or a cheesy bridge can ruin a good song. 

Limited lyrics is usually a bad thing, but not always.  A Stryper example to disprove the idea is To Hell With the Devil.  It's maybe the greatest Christian metal anthem ever and that chorus has limited lyrics too.  Part of the issue with Take It To the Cross is the arrangement - the fast tempo and screamed/shouted line is out of place with the rest of the song.  I'm no songwriter, I'm just a fan, but it seems to me that the song needs to "fit" together: verses and chorus.  One good part can't save a bad one, but a great part can raise a not bad song to greatness.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

bigtreads likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down