The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Album Spotlight - Stryper's God Damn Evil

+2
Follower of Jesus
Guitar Noir
6 posters

Go down

Album Spotlight - Stryper's God Damn Evil Empty Album Spotlight - Stryper's God Damn Evil

Post by Guitar Noir Sat May 05, 2018 2:12 am

The latest blog post features a spotlight on Stryper's newest album, God Damn Evil.  

https://shadesofnoirsite.wordpress.com/2018/05/05/album-spotlight-god-damn-evil-by-stryper/
Guitar Noir
Guitar Noir
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

https://shadesofnoirsite.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Album Spotlight - Stryper's God Damn Evil Empty Re: Album Spotlight - Stryper's God Damn Evil

Post by Follower of Jesus Sat May 05, 2018 8:58 am

I keep trying to give this album a chance to grow on me, but it hasn't much. I'm glad you enjoy it, though!  Metal 3
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Album Spotlight - Stryper's God Damn Evil Empty Re: Album Spotlight - Stryper's God Damn Evil

Post by Guitar Noir Sat May 05, 2018 11:01 am

Follower of Jesus wrote:I keep trying to give this album a chance to grow on me, but it hasn't much. I'm glad you enjoy it, though!  Metal 3

I would say give it a few more listens, maybe it will just click.  Did you the like Fallen and No More Hell To Pay?
Guitar Noir
Guitar Noir
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat May 05, 2018 12:47 pm

It's a'ight, feels like the leftovers off the last two albums.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Sat May 05, 2018 2:41 pm

Had a long 6hr trip back home today from out of state. Listened to this, Reborn, No More Hell To Pay, Fallen, Against The Law and pieces of Murder By Pride (my least fav amongst the reunion albums). For me, it holds up real well side by side! I'd agree with your review that if it's second to anything on that list it is Fallen. Fallen is about the best yet even there All Over Again (their worst ballad?) and Heaven are just ok. I think I over exaggerated how good NMHTP and Fallen were in my mind going into GDE. Side by side, remembering the flaws on those two albums, it's just as good. 

I also agree, about the cover tracks. I'm glad there is no cover tune. Didn't care for any of the covers, even if I'll admit they did a great job. I'd rather hear all originals. Some bands do them, do a great job and they're the best track on the album. For Stryper they tend to do a great job but because the Stryper songwriting standard is high, the cover comes off as middle of the road in quality. I like most, if not all the originals better.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Livna Sat May 05, 2018 4:35 pm

I like Take It To The Cross but then it loses me after that. Perhaps I need to give it a few more listens for it to grow on me.
Livna
Livna
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Sun May 06, 2018 6:06 am

C
Guitar Noir wrote:
Follower of Jesus wrote:I keep trying to give this album a chance to grow on me, but it hasn't much. I'm glad you enjoy it, though!  Metal 3

I would say give it a few more listens, maybe it will just click.  Did you the like Fallen and No More Hell To Pay?
I love those two albums.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar Noir Wed May 09, 2018 4:54 am

Livna wrote:I like Take It To The Cross but then it loses me after that. Perhaps I need to give it a few more listens for it to grow on me.

I would say give it a few more spins.  For my it took a few listens to really begin to appreciate how good of an album it is.
Guitar Noir
Guitar Noir
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar Noir Wed May 09, 2018 4:57 am

Follower of Jesus wrote:C
Guitar Noir wrote:

I love those two albums.
The new album may not be the "logical" sequel to No More Hell To Pay and Fallen but it does fit right in with those two albums.  After listening to the new album for two weeks it makes sense as a follow up.
Guitar Noir
Guitar Noir
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffcorpse Sun May 13, 2018 6:22 pm

Unlike a lot of people, I thought this kicked butt from the start! It sounds like something new and not just like the last two. I like the more prominent bass, great solos and great drumming! A+
jeffcorpse
jeffcorpse
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar Noir Sun May 13, 2018 10:48 pm

jeffcorpse wrote:Unlike a lot of people, I thought this kicked butt from the start! It sounds like something new and not just like the last two. I like the more prominent bass, great solos and great drumming! A+
It is a fantastic album that is over the top and also quite subtle.  With each listen I love this album more and more. Each listen uncovers the small subtle things that help to make the album great.  Whether it is a drum fill, a vocal harmony, a layered guitar riff, an ad-libbed vocal, etc. There is so much to love about this album.  It is definitely one of the band's best albums.
Guitar Noir
Guitar Noir
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 18, 2018 7:34 pm

I can't explain exactly why, but I just do not enjoy this album, and I really like their previous few releases. 

To me the song writing feels forced, like MS tried too hard to give the fans what he thought they wanted rather than what he would have naturally written. I am probably in the minority but prefer the last Sweet Lynch release.

I also miss Tim's bass playing. The bass playing on this album, which is definitely more prominent than previous releases, just does not fit the Stryper sound for me.

Glad other folks are liking it though. For me it will sit on the shelf. Maybe in the future I'll pull it out and think "Why did I not like this!?".

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down