The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beast in Black - a mixture of Sabaton and Judas Priest?

+3
Black Rider
Jessrox
Andreas89
7 posters

Go down

Beast in Black - a mixture of Sabaton and Judas Priest? Empty Beast in Black - a mixture of Sabaton and Judas Priest?

Post by Andreas89 Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:46 pm

Pure coincidence that I found this band. A song of theirs was featured on a sampler CD of a magazine, and it was in between some songs of band I'm into (I think Almanac and Evertale). It caught my attention.

The mixture mentioned in the topic title explained: this is like Sabaton but with riffs and a good singer. Kind of falls in the realm of 80s synthpop metal, but the main guy behind this band, Anton Kabanen, left his former band Battle Beast because he did not want to follow the more poppy approach they have pursued since they've kicked him out. So this stuff has quite a bite Very Happy

Some samples for you guys:

Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Beast in Black - a mixture of Sabaton and Judas Priest? Empty Re: Beast in Black - a mixture of Sabaton and Judas Priest?

Post by Jessrox Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:45 pm

Whoooooaaaa......that dude sounds exactly like girl! very weird!
Jessrox
Jessrox
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Beast in Black - a mixture of Sabaton and Judas Priest? Empty Re: Beast in Black - a mixture of Sabaton and Judas Priest?

Post by Andreas89 Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:50 pm

^That threw off a lot of people, yeah. But it's only in the verses of Blind and Frozen.
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessrox Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:31 pm

MMmmm....wow....not a fan of the lyrics at all. Maybe this is why he got booted from Battle beast? lol. To bad cause the music shredds.
Jessrox
Jessrox
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:35 am

Yeah, he draws inspiration from a Japanese manga comic series. Which in itself should be a crime, I think. But yeah, the music is really good.
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:16 pm

I'd rather listen to Sabaton.  Very Happy
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:21 pm

I really dig the music, but just can't get into the vocals.

I really liked the first three Battle Beast albums, but their last one only had a few decent songs IMO
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:29 pm

Black Rider wrote:I'd rather listen to Sabaton.  Very Happy
To quote Alestorm: you objectively have bad taste in music.

Nah, I'm a Sabaton fan since 2009 and only started getting into Battle Beast recently. And despite the fact that Sabaton makes extremely generic music, I enjoy most of the albums they release (although Carolus Rex was a low point).
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:35 pm

Staybrite wrote:I really dig the music, but just can't get into the vocals.

I really liked the first three Battle Beast albums, but their last one only had a few decent songs IMO
I get what you mean about the vocals, yet I love them Razz
Concerning Battle Beast, as I understand it Kabanen was thrown out just after their third album because the rest of the band wanted to have more influence on the writing process and by that, to pursue a more poppy direction. So Kabanen was kicked out/left. From what I've heard, he made the right choice (although I like the songs I heard from the latest Battle Beast).
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:49 pm

Andreas89 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:I really dig the music, but just can't get into the vocals.

I get what you mean about the vocals, yet I love them Razz
Concerning Battle Beast, as I understand it Kabanen was thrown out just after their third album because the rest of the band wanted to have more influence on the writing process and by that, to pursue a more poppy direction. So Kabanen was kicked out/left. From what I've heard, he made the right choice (although I like the songs I heard from the latest Battle Beast).

That makes sense, because the musical direction was bit odd on that fourth BB album and the song-writing was not up to the previous standards.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:15 am

I picked up this album and I wanted to like it, I really did. I just couldn't get into it. And for this tune, I can only say, "Europe wants their one hit back."

Last edited by metaldude on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:10 am

metaldude wrote:I picked up this album and I wanted to like it, I really did. I just couldn't get into it. And for this tune, I can only say. "Europe wants their one hit back."

That could be the cheesiest/greatest thing I have ever heard!
I had a grin on my face the whole time Laughing

Does the rest of their stuff sound like this?
If so, are their lyrics pretty clean?

(Don't have ton of time to check now, hoping for a quick answer for later tongue)
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:19 am

I don't listen to it a lot, so I can't really say. Andre could tell you.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:49 am

I have listened to this album a lot since I got it, so I can tell.

First, yes, the song Eternal Fire is quite examplary for the rest of the album; Born Again sounds most like it though.

As for the lyrics, they are a sort of mix of the Berserker manga (as I said, manga is a grave crime) and Kabanen's anger about being kicked out of Battle Beast. I heard the f-word two times, but since there is no Dutch equivalent of that word (at least not in that context), I don't really mind. I do understand why it would matter to you. Besides, in one of the two cases I can relate to the sentence in which it is used, as in that it describes an attitude about how "good" doing evil can feel; this especially about current events in society (and alas, even in my family in law).

As for the opening track, there's alot that I can say about this merciless retaliatory attitude toward injustice and evil. It's a theme that can also be found in the first five albums of Rhapsody, for instance.

Oh, and you can see the lyrics for yourself here: http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/beastinblack/berserker.html
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:52 pm

Well yea from a few of those songs, I probably would not buy the full album

I love his voice, will probably just buy a few songs

Thanks Andreas!
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:47 am

You're welcome!

And if you're into his voice, you might like Wardrum, and especially their album Awakening. They don't have Beast in Black's angsty lyrics Razz
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by 11razorwire Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:05 am

This was new to me and I kinda liked it. Might check out Wardrum.
11razorwire
11razorwire
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:35 pm

I will definitely check out Wardrum then!
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:24 am

Their entire Awakening album can be found on youtube, so here it is:

Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down