The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where are the christian progressive metal bands?!

+15
ManipulatorGeneral404
timekeeper
cailen
Temple of Blood
Devon Hill
Nyx74
Soldier777
sentient 6
Markus1987
Dynamis
Black Rider
Staybrite
metaldude
Professor_Valconian
Andreas89
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Where are the christian progressive metal bands?! Empty Where are the christian progressive metal bands?!

Post by Andreas89 Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:32 am

A few months ago there was this thread here that wanted to list christian top albums per genre. And it occurred to me that there was no mention of prog albums (at least up until some point). And with "prog" I mean the likes of Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Threshold, Haken and so on; "melodic prog" if you like. Both the variants with the longer songs and the shorter songs. I'm not counting the so called "progressive power metal" bands here.

This raised two questions:

1) Why would christian artists stay away from prog metal that much? I mean in general of course, because there are some christian prog bands. Sidenote: I see the same tendency in progressive rock, but this is largely masked by Neal Morse's incredible productivity with both his solo/band albums and Transatlantic. And all Kerry Livgren projects of course (Kansas, Proto-Kaw, Flagship).

2) Which christian prog bands do we know? I can sum up 7Days (although they're not that explicit), Affector(!), S91, Mehida/Wingdom. That's not an awful lot; other genres have way more representatives.

Any thoughts on this?
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Where are the christian progressive metal bands?! Empty Re: Where are the christian progressive metal bands?!

Post by Professor_Valconian Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:28 am

Neal Morse. Incredibly productive. Incredibly talented. If you don't have his last two ... The Grand Experiment and Similitude of a Dream, you must purchase them immediately. You owe it to yourself.
Professor_Valconian
Professor_Valconian
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Location : In a meeting of the Society who puts things on top of other things

Back to top Go down

Where are the christian progressive metal bands?! Empty Re: Where are the christian progressive metal bands?!

Post by metaldude Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:57 am

Before I heard of the "progressive" label, I referred to this style as "musician's music". It's my opinion that it appeals to musicians more than the general music listening public. 

Here are a few more bands I enjoy.

Wake of Redemption 

God's Equation 

Above Symmetry 

metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:06 am

Professor_Valconian wrote:Neal Morse. Incredibly productive. Incredibly talented. If you don't have his last two ... The Grand Experiment and Similitude of a Dream, you must purchase them immediately. You owe it to yourself.
I know! And you could have known that I know, because I mentioned Neal and his band in my original post Wink  Anyhow, those two albums are really great indeed! They are staples at my place (my wife enjoys them too).
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:10 am

Before I heard of the "progressive" label, I referred to this style as "musician's music". It's my opinion that it appeals to musicians more than the general music listening public.
It may also appeal to people with a really refined taste in music.
Very Happy

metaldude wrote:Here are a few more bands I enjoy.
Thanks for sharing! I will check them out later, right now I have Transatlantic's Kaleidoscope playing.
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:25 am

Andreas89 wrote:
It may also appeal to people with a really refined taste in music.
Very Happy

True. My point is that popular music has been driven by simple and repetitive hooks and progressions for almost seven decades. Progressive music is driven more by longer songs full of odd time signatures and key changes.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:59 pm

I'm actually not a huge fan of most progressive music (I guess I'm just a musical simpleton)  Laughing

There are a few that I really enjoy.

Fall of Echoes (from their album Red Tree)

Orphan Project (from their album Spooning Out the Sea)

Souljourners (from the album Mind Control)

Delorean (from the album Edge of Existence)

Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:44 pm

Check out Shadow Gallery, not specifically christian but some members are/were. Darkwater, Veni Domine and Torman Maxt are worth checking out.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor_Valconian Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:47 pm

Sorry. Skimmed your post. I read your point # 2 and didn't see Neal mentioned.
Professor_Valconian
Professor_Valconian
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor_Valconian Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:18 pm

I can also confirm that Orphan Project is some quality music. Maybe not quite as proggy as some others, but definitely tends in that direction. I have both of their albums, and can hear a fair amount of Kansas influence, especially on their first ... Orphan Found. I highly recommend.
Professor_Valconian
Professor_Valconian
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Dynamis Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:40 pm

I would strongly recommend Affector:

Dynamis
Dynamis
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

http://www.angelicwarlord.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Markus1987 Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:35 am

Markus1987
Markus1987
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:51 am

These guys are more progrock than metal...but still pretty good.

sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:11 pm

I have all the Dream Theater CD and DVDs/BluRays. I would like to get some Neal Morse stuff too and based on the recommendations mentioned, I may get his 2 latest albums. I do like some prog rock and metal and I may check out the bands mentioned above.

Is Millennial Reign a prog band?
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:41 pm

Millenial Reign is closer to power metal than progressive.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyx74 Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:27 pm

I believe Believer's Dimensions also fits the category. Though a bit older....... I still get the chills when listening to Trilogy Of Knowledge
Nyx74
Nyx74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:51 pm

Nyx74 wrote:I believe Believer's Dimensions also fits the category. Though a bit older....... I still get the chills when listening to Trilogy Of Knowledge

+1
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon Hill Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:54 pm

One of the best Christian prog metal bands is Menahem in my opinion.

Another really promising new one is Narrow Gate.

Cosyns has lots of really good progressive elements in their music too.

https://cosyns.bandcamp.com/track/outward
Devon Hill
Devon Hill
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:43 pm

Antithesis
Alethian
Warlord
Tourniquet
Believer
Haven
Savatage
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Markus1987 Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:47 am

You should check Skies Over Bethany. They are rocking Smile

Markus1987
Markus1987
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:09 am

Thanks for the suggestions so far, some I can filter out for several reasons though.

Affector - Mentioned them already in my original post
Narrow Gate - I know them, they don't have an album yet. But promising!

Antithesis - too much on the power/thrash side
Millennial Reign - don't get me started on this band Razz  they're more prog power metal anyway
Warlord - more like heavy/doom metal
Tourniquet  - cookiemonster vocals
Believer - same as far as I know
Savatage - not really christian, good band though!
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:57 am

OK, I listened to most of the suggestions (not all because youtube in Germany...). Some great stuff, sadly also stuff with cookiemonster vokillz. Didn't mean that by "melodic prog".

But what I did find interesting is that there were bands among them that have had a fairly short lifespan and a disappointing amount of releases. This raises the question, maybe this time more explicitly: why is "normal" prog metal and christian music such a bad marriage? I mean, just look at the number of well known active prog metal bands in the christian music scene. How many can you list? I can't think of any other metal subgenre that is so underrepresented in the harder regions of christian music.

A sidenote before I will try to trigger some of you: just because prog metal is "musician's music" hasn't stopped bands like Dream Theater and Fates Warning (and recent examples like Haken) from having a fairly large fanbase. So complexity should not be an excuse.

Or should it? I mean, let's speculate about this shortage of prog in the christian music scene. Are christians maybe less interested in complexity? Is the attention span of christian music lovers not that great? Or are christian artists in general not -that- creative?
Sounds a bit demeaning of course, but I like to see it as inviting you guys to think about this Wink
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by cailen Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:30 am

I was very impressed by Narrow Gate.

Thanks for posting this!
cailen
cailen
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by timekeeper Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:35 am

cailen wrote:I was very impressed by Narrow Gate.

Thanks for posting this!
As was I - sounds very good.
timekeeper
timekeeper
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:47 am

Andreas89 wrote: Is the attention span of christian music lovers not that great?
Maybe I'm on to something here... Wink
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next