The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John R Butler's "Hand of the Almighty"

4 posters

Go down

John R Butler's "Hand of the Almighty" Empty John R Butler's "Hand of the Almighty"

Post by ThomasEversole Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:03 pm

I actually rather enjoyed this, but the question I want to ask... would you consider this Christian music?
Warning: lolprofanity

ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

John R Butler's "Hand of the Almighty" Empty Re: John R Butler's "Hand of the Almighty"

Post by eatbugs Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:21 am

I listened to exactly 36 seconds of that before I had to stop (take note of his profanity warning people).

I know nothing about John R. Butler or the rest of the song.  Is it sung sincerely or is that sarcasm or parody?  The answer goes a long way to my answer.

My two cents on "Is ________ a Christian band?" questions is that it is a continuum.  There are ministry-oriented bands, there are Christians-in-a-band, there are some-members-are-Christians, there are bands were the singer who writes the songs is a Christian so the lyrics are Christian-ish (or at least clean) but the rest of the band aren't Christians.  Depending on the context I could call many things Christian or not.

I personally have standards in the music I can buy so the threads on "Is ________ Christian?" matter to me.  Dogmatic yes, no, or who cares answers don't do the gray area bands justice.

Personally I will never buy John R. Butler music for the profanity, even IF I liked the music (I don't) or IF it is sung sincerely.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

John R Butler's "Hand of the Almighty" Empty Re: John R Butler's "Hand of the Almighty"

Post by ThomasEversole Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:36 am

I like you criteria regarding defining Christian music. I personally think listener interpretation can easily trump artist intentions though.

I think I'm more intrigued at recoiling from words enough to stop the video. ...but I'm not one to hold as much weight to cursing. Ever watch a DVD that has French audio? Depending on the movie, it might not sound much different than this John R Butler's track.

It's funny to me how society has planted within us to have emotional responses to these sounds...
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:50 am

If you check out his website, Butler seems to be a lot more about comedy than about truly singing for the Lord.  In that context, this just comes off as disrespectful, in poor taste, and dare I say sacrilegious.

This just reminds me of a bluegrass Sam Kinison.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Xid Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:22 am

I won't listen to because of the profanity warning.  If one has to resort to profanity in their lyrics then they aren't much of a lyricist in my opinion.
Xid
Xid
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.joshuascreed.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down