The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Religion Balance (Musically)

+2
exo
MegaNorm64
6 posters

Go down

Religion Balance (Musically) Empty Religion Balance (Musically)

Post by MegaNorm64 Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:15 am

Hey everyone! This is kind of a spinoff off of my how far do you go with lyrics thread. I'm sorry if this is a theology type of thread, I really don't mean to go against the rules but I have a serious question. When it comes to singing and worshiping, why is it considered unholy or devil praising if you sing to something against religion but considered "good" if someone sings a Christian song without believing in God? Isn't it technically the same thing? One man sings secular or "worldly" songs but believes in God. The other believes there is no God but likes music from Christian artists. It's kind of unbalanced isn't it? Some people believe that these people are worshiping God or Satan without knowing it. How can you praise something you don't believe in? You can't worship God without faith right? I'm just a little lost on how this works.
MegaNorm64
MegaNorm64
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Religion Balance (Musically) Empty Re: Religion Balance (Musically)

Post by exo Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:31 am

Don't have an answer for your question, but we relaxed with the "don't discuss theology" thing some time ago, so don't worry about that.  Those questions are bound to come up when discussing Christian music, and we've actively tried to be more "hands off"/ pro discussion for the last 6 months or so.

We just ask for people to tread lightly and carefully when discussing because we're not a "theological debate forum" and a lot o stuff that might pass for "acceptable debate behavior" does NOT foster a positive atmosphere here.

Interesting questions you pose, for sure.......

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by MegaNorm64 Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:49 am

exo wrote:Don't have an answer for your question, but we relaxed with the "don't discuss theology" thing some time ago, so don't worry about that.  Those questions are bound to come up when discussing Christian music, and we've actively tried to be more "hands off"/ pro discussion for the last 6 months or so.

We just ask for people to tread lightly and carefully when discussing because we're not a "theological debate forum" and a lot o stuff that might pass for "acceptable debate behavior" does NOT foster a positive atmosphere here.

Interesting questions you pose, for sure.......
Thanks for clearing that up exo! I have seen how bad things can get with debates and I hope that doesn't find its way into this thread.
MegaNorm64
MegaNorm64
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:41 pm

elparanorman wrote:Hey everyone! This is kind of a spinoff off of my how far do you go with lyrics thread. I'm sorry if this is a theology type of thread, I really don't mean to go against the rules but I have a serious question. When it comes to singing and worshiping, why is it considered unholy or devil praising if you sing to something against religion but considered "good" if someone sings a Christian song without believing in God? Isn't it technically the same thing? One man sings secular or "worldly" songs but believes in God. The other believes there is no God but likes music from Christian artists. It's kind of unbalanced isn't it? Some people believe that these people are worshiping God or Satan without knowing it. How can you praise something you don't believe in? You can't worship God without faith right? I'm just a little lost on how this works.

Interesting question, but I would think that most people that don't like Christians to sing secular songs, don't really care for unbelievers to sing "holy" songs. Maybe the only thing that would be acceptable to some would be Christmas songs.

The only other way I could see the reasoning behind it would be like this: what is the difference between putting an idol into the temple of God or putting the ark of the covenant into a pagan temple? The idol (secular song) profanes the holy (the Christian artist) where as you can worship the ark (God in the music) housed in a pagan temple (secular artist). I can see the thought behind this, but don't agree with it.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:58 pm

elparanorman wrote:Hey everyone! This is kind of a spinoff off of my how far do you go with lyrics thread. I'm sorry if this is a theology type of thread, I really don't mean to go against the rules but I have a serious question. When it comes to singing and worshiping, why is it considered unholy or devil praising if you sing to something against religion but considered "good" if someone sings a Christian song without believing in God? Isn't it technically the same thing? One man sings secular or "worldly" songs but believes in God. The other believes there is no God but likes music from Christian artists. It's kind of unbalanced isn't it? Some people believe that these people are worshiping God or Satan without knowing it. How can you praise something you don't believe in? You can't worship God without faith right? I'm just a little lost on how this works.
Great questions. I don't have time to answer now, but I do have some thoughts. TTYL.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:26 am

I wouldn't say that it is inherently wrong for a Christian to sing about worldly things.  I think it could be reckless at times.  First of all, I believe that music is far more than just entertainment.  Music drives society and shapes the direction we go.  The young hang on every word and they see life through the lens of popular music. For a Christian to promote too much worldly behavior seems reckless as you may be misleading the youth.  Also, "out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks".  I'd have to wonder how much of the worldly stuff you are singing eventually makes its way into your heart if you kept singing about things that were from an ungodly lifestyle.

As for the unbeliever (non-Christian) to sing about Jesus, it doesn't bother me.  Why?  Hopefully, it means they've been around people of faith that at least had a positive influence on them.  Thus, they respect the song they've chosen. Or, maybe it means that the message is working into their life as well.  I would hope that someone singing about Jesus in a positive or even Biblical representation would eventually come to faith in Christ.  So, I see the first one as possibly destructive and the 2nd as something hopeful.

I could be wrong, but those are my thoughts this morning.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:35 pm

Short answer - the Christian should care about the forms of entertainment they engage in because of Gods call to Holiness ( maybe the problem is that many Christians do not understand holiness in a secular dominated world ? ). The nonbeliever doesn't consider these things for obvious reasons, so they listen and sing about whatever strikes their fancy. The Christian is usually more thoughtful and reflective on what they fill their hearts and minds with.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:49 pm

elparanorman wrote:When it comes to singing and worshiping, why is it considered unholy or devil praising if you sing to something against religion but considered "good" if someone sings a Christian song without believing in God?
Just to follow up, many Christians see the bible as their main source of hearing from God on how to live out their lives here....

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart,

That said, should Christians be concerned with what non Christians listen or sing about ? I don't think so, unless you want to encourage them to contemplate the words of the Christian song that they seem enjoy.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:26 pm

elparanorman wrote:Hey everyone! This is kind of a spinoff off of my how far do you go with lyrics thread. I'm sorry if this is a theology type of thread, I really don't mean to go against the rules but I have a serious question.
Sorry. I forgot about this thread and I was going to answer when i had more time and now I do.
When it comes to singing and worshiping, why is it considered unholy or devil praising if you sing to something against religion but considered "good" if someone sings a Christian song without believing in God? Isn't it technically the same thing? One man sings secular or "worldly" songs but believes in God. The other believes there is no God but likes music from Christian artists. It's kind of unbalanced isn't it?
If anyone sings a song with a message that is against religion, I mean true religion that is the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ, it should be obvious that it is unholy. If someone who doesn't believe in God sings a song with lyrics that reflect gospel truth, the song in and of itself is holy, but the singers lack of faith makes the act of singing the song unholy since, as you mentioned, it wasn't something done in faith. The believer who is singing 'worldy' songs may lack certain sanctification or may turn out to be a false convert.
Some people believe that these people are worshiping God or Satan without knowing it. How can you praise something you don't believe in? You can't worship God without faith right? I'm just a little lost on how this works.
A lot of us do things without understanding the effects our actions are truly having. That is why it is important for the believer to be mindful.

As we know, God doesn't take the praise of the unbelievers. 'Without faith it is impossible to please God'. Yet, there will be a day when every knee will bow. So, ultimately the unbelievers will give Him glory too. So, it's not wrong for the unbeliever to sing praises to God even though his praises are unaccepted. It's never wrong to do the right thing, but you should remind your unbelieving friend that God doesn't accept people because they kiss up to Him. So, if he thinks that he could continue in unbelief and that God would accept him someday because he sang good songs, he is mistaken. The gospel alone saves.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MegaNorm64 Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:29 am

Cool answers guys and thanks for coming back to reply during your free time! After reading what you guys have to say, another question had come to mind. A lot of Christians believe that listening to everything as long as it is not blasphemous is fine. If anything that is not made to praise our Lord, doesn't that make anything outside of worship music blasphemous and unholy?
MegaNorm64
MegaNorm64
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:34 pm

elparanorman wrote:Cool answers guys and thanks for coming back to reply during your free time! After reading what you guys have to say, another question had come to mind. A lot of Christians believe that listening to everything as long as it is not blasphemous is fine. If anything that is not made to praise our Lord, doesn't that make anything outside of worship music blasphemous and unholy?
You need to separate blasphemous and unholy. Holy means to set apart for higher purpose, worship of God. Blasphemy is the intentional denigration of God.

Music that isn't purposed for the glory of God is unholy in the sense I just defined, but not necessarily blasphemous.

Ideally we should be praising God in our every breath and in all our songs, but we all know the reality that we spend most of our time looking through the glass darkly. The affairs of this Earth captivate our attention and so we naturally contemplate the mundane in our songs.

Where your questions tend to lead is to legalism. Your choices of what type of music you listen to need to be informed by a heart for God, not a cold list of do's and don't's like secular/non-secular delineation.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MegaNorm64 Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:38 pm

d@v!d wrote:
elparanorman wrote:Cool answers guys and thanks for coming back to reply during your free time! After reading what you guys have to say, another question had come to mind. A lot of Christians believe that listening to everything as long as it is not blasphemous is fine. If anything that is not made to praise our Lord, doesn't that make anything outside of worship music blasphemous and unholy?
You need to separate blasphemous and unholy. Holy means to set apart for higher purpose, worship of God. Blasphemy is the intentional denigration of God.

Music that isn't purposed for the glory of God is unholy in the sense I just defined, but not necessarily blasphemous.

Ideally we should be praising God in our every breath and in all our songs, but we all know the reality that we spend most of our time looking through the glass darkly. The affairs of this Earth captivate our attention and so we naturally contemplate the mundane in our songs.

Where your questions tend to lead is to legalism. Your choices of what type of music you listen to need to be informed by a heart for God, not a cold list of do's and don't's like secular/non-secular delineation.
I hear you. Pastors who I have met before didn't seem to think there was a difference between unholiness and blasphemy. It's like, by doing unholy things, we are blaspheming toward God. I always hated that and thought it was really manipulative.
MegaNorm64
MegaNorm64
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:00 pm

That probably has to do with semantics and what the word "unholy" evokes in regards to imagery and thought process than anything else.  The word "unholy" just has a general feel as though something described as such is in direct opposition to the concept of "holy", rather than simply being "not holy"; more as if there are THREE classifications rather then a simple "holy/unholy" thing; Bryan Adams reminiscing about the good old days is a far cry from Trey Azagthoth's penning the song "Blasphemy".......

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down