The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Star Wars church... the farce is strong with this one.

+8
messiaen77
sentient 6
crucifyd
MikeInFla
WildWorld
Hardcore Christian
deathisgain
d@v!d
12 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Star Wars church... the farce is strong with this one. Empty Star Wars church... the farce is strong with this one.

Post by d@v!d Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:06 am

What does one say?...
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Star Wars church... the farce is strong with this one. Empty Re: Star Wars church... the farce is strong with this one.

Post by deathisgain Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:27 am

Live long and prosper.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Star Wars church... the farce is strong with this one. Empty Re: Star Wars church... the farce is strong with this one.

Post by ThomasEversole Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:20 am

Modernizing Jesus and incorporating Star Wars lore into Christian sermons sounds ridiculous to some of us, but it wouldn't sound that way to someone who is actually reached by it, and gives their heart to Christ because of it.

I'll tell you what's more ridiculous, evangelicals that instead of preaching God's word and the joy of salvation, spend their name/time/effort ATTACKING how someone else tries to bring people to Christ.

That itself not only saves less people than referencing a movie franchise in sermons, it just breeds spite and contempt.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:30 am

I think the apostle paul would say to use whatever means you have to use to bring someone into the kingdom and share the gospel...and if stars wars church shares the gospel then power to them...I think paul would be very unhappy with the guy in the video..

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:07 am

I think what he says has merit. His use of sarcasm might be too heavy handed at times, but he makes some valid points. We live in a time where a lot of people have built up their own brand of the Gospel and want to be spoon fed sugar (forget about milk or meat). Sure it may bring people in the door, but are they being changed or discipled? Most of those kinds of churches barely do any teaching in the word, they just try to keep the numbers up and the masses entertained. People that I know that go to those churches talk more about what they did there, than what Jesus has done to them. It's a mockery. I think he brings up a valid point that if some one naturally does not want to go to church because they could care less about Jesus, then what is going to make them stay? Because they might accidentally bump into him there?

As too Paul's statement, I think we have to take it in context:

1 Corinth 9:19-23 wrote:For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more. 20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law. 22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some. 23 I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it

I've always taken this verse to mean that we have to view ourselves in the light of the people we are trying to reach. Identify common struggles that we share and not see ourselves as above them (as long as it does not compromise our walk). I have no issue with doing out reaches that may play along motifs that are popular in culture or being contemporary in our services.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:55 am

deathisgain wrote:We live in a time where a lot of people have built up their own brand of the Gospel and want to be spoon fed sugar (forget about milk or meat). Sure it may bring people in the door, but are they being changed or discipled?

If you try to give whole spiritual food to someone who has the spiritual understanding of an infant, they'll choke.  ...just like trying to give steak to a baby.

deathisgain wrote:Most of those kinds of churches barely do any teaching in the word, they just try to keep the numbers up and the masses entertained. People that I know that go to those churches talk more about what they did there, than what Jesus has done to them. It's a mockery.

Have you been to most of these churches and for a matter of fact KNOW that they do what they do for numbers?
When you ask a kindergartner what they did at school, they will list all the fun and cool stuff they did.  That doesn't mean that the school is crap and they're not getting educated - that's just where their mind and understanding is.

...and that's the right approach.  Some churches will be more geared to spoonfeeding infants - others, to setting down a healthy plate of healthy food and letting everyone feed themselves.  I can't think of anything more proposterous than the "adult" church ATTACKING a church that spoonfeeds infants.

deathisgain wrote:As too Paul's statement, I think we have to take it in context:

deathisgain wrote:I've always taken this verse to mean that we have to view ourselves in the light of the people we are trying to reach. Identify common struggles that we share and not see ourselves as above them (as long as it does not compromise our walk).

You need to re-read verse 22.  The context is not EMPATHY, its DELIVERY.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by messiaen77 Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:17 am

I really tried to watch it, but I just wanted to punch the guy in the video, so I thought it best to stop.

Regarding using Star Wars to reach the lost, why not?  Jesus taught in parables because it was a way to make deep spiritual truths accessible to people.  He used situations that were familiar to the people.  What's the difference?  The former campus pastor where I teach was famous for using LOTR and Hobbit references in his chapel messages (he's now a full-time church pastor and hasn't seemed to have changed that).  And really, if you think about it, it seems funny that people here might think it was inappropriate to do this.  I mean, here at this site dedicated to using a particular contemporary popular musical style to present the Gospel and other Christian messages in a format that will make them more palatable to a particular audience.
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:20 pm

The guy in the video is a joke.

Anyway I don't think this really effects much, its no different then say using the book series of Narnia to lead people to Christ, or using Lord Of The Rings as a Biblical commentary for a study group.

I actually remember my grandparents owning a book that was the original Star Wars movie put into a Christian perspective, written in like '83.
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:04 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:
deathisgain wrote:We live in a time where a lot of people have built up their own brand of the Gospel and want to be spoon fed sugar (forget about milk or meat). Sure it may bring people in the door, but are they being changed or discipled?

If you try to give whole spiritual food to someone who has the spiritual understanding of an infant, they'll choke.  ...just like trying to give steak to a baby.

Good post! That's very true! Babies need milk! And this seems like a great way to get new people the message of Christ! I'm all for it!

Heck, my church even one time did a Harry Potter Christmas party!!! It was AWESOME!!

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:48 pm

Without hearing the sermon series in question, I don't think I have enough info to even remotely judge this.

Watching the video, I can tell that the guy really wants to sell me his book.

Unless this happens in my church, I don't think it really matters enough for me to think about this again.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:08 pm

I actually laughed because I imagined Spock (your avatar) saying what you said.
I'm such a weirdo.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:14 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:I actually laughed because I imagined Spock (your avatar) saying what you said.
I'm such a weirdo.

You just made me spit out my coke! lol!  lol!  Rolf 2  Rolf 2  Rolf 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:14 pm

alldatndensum wrote:Without hearing the sermon series in question, I don't think I have enough info to even remotely judge this.

Watching the video, I can tell that the guy really wants to sell me his book.

Unless this happens in my church, I don't think it really matters enough for me to think about this again.
Exactly, and yes if you read it in Spock's voice it sounds very............logical  Razz
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:15 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:I actually laughed because I imagined Spock (your avatar) saying what you said.
I'm such a weirdo.

I was thinking that same thing too! Spock talking about a Star Wars church!!! He'd probably rather have a "Star Trek" church!!!

bounce  bounce  bounce  alien

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:13 pm

RavenWolf wrote:
I'm such a weirdo.

I was thinking that same thing too! Spock talking about a Star Wars church!!! He'd probably rather have a "Star Trek" church!!!

And Neal Morse would definitely attend that church! Smile

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:10 pm

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:23 pm

Hardcore Christian wrote:The guy in the video is a joke.

Anyway I don't think this really effects much, its no different then say using the book series of Narnia to lead people to Christ, or using Lord Of The Rings as a Biblical commentary for a study group.

I actually remember my grandparents owning a book that was the original Star Wars movie put into a Christian perspective, written in like '83.
Do you have any idea what the title of that book was? I'd be interested in checking it out.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:48 pm

WildWorld wrote:
Hardcore Christian wrote:The guy in the video is a joke.

Do you have any idea what the title of that book was? I'd be interested in checking it out.
Ill have to call up my grandparents and have them look, Ill tell you when I find out Wink
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:31 pm

Is that guy serious?  He's too much of a self-parody for me to even be sure.

There is certainly a philosophy that would follow his thoughts, cartoonized and obnoxious as it was. There's clearly a fundamental disagreement regarding the nature and purpose of church/weekend gatherings, and where you start will determine where you land.  Well enough.  But I'm 100% with alldat in having no time whatsoever for people who tear down evangelistic ministries.  I understand, but I wholeheartedly disagree and wish they would do something actually constructive.

By the way DIG, you're a good poster and I say this kindly.  If by "those churches" you mean what I think you mean, I'm on staff at one right now.  I have many good friends who lead others.  I can assure you that we're not in ministry just to keep numbers up or entertain the masses.  We're giving our lives to try to reach people because we think it's the most important thing we can do.  You're free to disagree with our philosophy or methods, but impugning our motives ought not be done lightly.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:52 pm

RavenWolf wrote:
I'm such a weirdo.

Actually, I might like to see a series based on Star Trek!  I've always thought you could compare the Borg to Satan.  He prowls around looking to see who he could devour.  The Borg slinked around looking for those they could assimilate.  Both were arrogant enough to tell you that, "Resistance is futile!"

I bet the guy in the video had no problems about sermon series and even Sunday school material being based on the Andy Griffith Show.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:49 pm

Surprised there's been no program talking about the Indiana Jones films and the religious importance of the items in Raiders (ark of the covenant) and Last Crusade (Holy Grail)  (there were  no Christian items in Temple of Doom or Crystal Skull).

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:21 am

alldatndensum wrote:
RavenWolf wrote:
I'm such a weirdo.

Actually, I might like to see a series based on Star Trek!  I've always thought you could compare the Borg to Satan.  He prowls around looking to see who he could devour.  The Borg slinked around looking for those they could assimilate.  Both were arrogant enough to tell you that, "Resistance is futile!"

I bet the guy in the video had no problems about sermon series and even Sunday school material being based on the Andy Griffith Show.

Good points on both counts!

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:51 am

Now im not saying that using pop culture to spread a Christian message will ALWAYS work (some of those Christian "parody" t-shirts are just ridiculous), but it can be an effective teaching tool if done right. For example, take my hypothetical example with Indiana Jones. You'll notice that the "correct" grail was not the fancy one with diamonds and jewels, but a simple one. You could use that to initiate a discussion about how Jesus lowered himself to walk among humans and the humility of Jesus.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:18 pm

WildWorl wrote: You could use that to initiate a discussion about how Jesus lowered himself to walk among humans and the humility of Jesus.
Yes!!! Thats a good example
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:25 pm

Savage Amusement wrote:I think the apostle paul would say to use whatever means you have to use to bring someone into the kingdom and share the gospel...and if stars wars church shares the gospel then power to them...I think paul would be very unhappy with the guy in the video..
Man, the guy in that video reminds me of the teacher in THIS video:

MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next