The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michael Sweet wants to help Van Halen achieve another platinum album like the first 2

+12
alldatndensum
sentient 6
bjorn agin
Throne of thorns
WildWorld
Joe C
metaldude
JPK72
Staybrite
Temple of Blood
Superjuice
MikeInFla
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Michael Sweet wants to help Van Halen achieve another platinum album like the first 2 Empty Michael Sweet wants to help Van Halen achieve another platinum album like the first 2

Post by MikeInFla Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:24 am

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-10-13/stryper-s-sweet-wants-van-halen-studio-role

Stryper frontman Michael Sweet says he’d love to hit the studio with Van Halen to help them emulate past successes.
Sweet feels 2012’s A Different Kind Of Truth – their first with David Lee Roth on vocals since 1984 – was a let down. He thinks they have it in them to produce material of a similar quality to their first two albums – and he wants to be the one to help.
Sweet tells The Metal Voice: “I’m a huge Van Halen fan – about as big as they come. You know when you feel a band is just going through the motions and just not giving it their best? That’s what I felt with that album.
“It got some really good reviews and I’m sitting reading them thinking, ‘I’m hearing something completely different.’ I just didn’t get it.” 
He continues: “I’d love to get a hold of those guys and take them in the studio and take them back to the old school days and help them make an album that’s comparable with Van Halen I and Van Halen II. They’d probably have a platinum-selling album if they did that.”

Sounds like a good idea to me! Although I enjoyed "A Different Kind Of Truth" I'm all for one more studio album.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Michael Sweet wants to help Van Halen achieve another platinum album like the first 2 Empty Re: Michael Sweet wants to help Van Halen achieve another platinum album like the first 2

Post by Guest Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:32 am

so is he offering himself as a producer? or a guest axe man heh

Back to top Go down

Michael Sweet wants to help Van Halen achieve another platinum album like the first 2 Empty Re: Michael Sweet wants to help Van Halen achieve another platinum album like the first 2

Post by Superjuice Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:08 am

He does a good job on getting some older songs to come away with the illusion of having a similar sound with modern production: like on "Loud and Clear" and "On Fire."

The production on A Different Kind of Truth was outstanding though.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:40 am

sad to say i lost interest in VH many many many moons ago

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:48 pm

I loved ADKOT.  I'll be shocked if the new Stryper album tops it.  But these bands are really apples and oranges.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:07 pm

He pretty much said the same (in another interview) about Sebastian Bach's recent solo efforts.  Indicating that he could help Baz make an album much more like the hay-days of Skid Row.  It wasn't warmly received by Baz....I expect Eddie probably won't take the suggestion kindly either.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by JPK72 Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:13 pm

I don't think VH care about making new good music at this point, Roth does not want to be friends with Eddie so I don't see them sitting around writing new songs together
JPK72
JPK72
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:15 pm

Sebastian Bach's new album is terrible, so I agree there.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:05 pm

Aaron C wrote:sad to say i lost interest in VH many many many moons ago

Same here. After Diver Down I lost interest.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:14 pm

Wouldn't it be funny if Eddie hired Michael as the new singer? Michael is also in Boston too remember. He's good with these classic bands.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:38 am

I lost interest after GH vol 1 was released.

Those guys IMO need a marriage councilor , I know Michael Sweet is a big fan but those guys need to work those issues out ya know kinda like how Metallica did.

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe C Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:42 pm

If Eddie wants to take Van Halen in the studio and take them back to the old school days and help them make an album that’s comparable with Van Halen I and Van Halen II, he should bring in their first record producer Ted Templeman. One of the greatest record producers in the business. They’d probably have a multi-platinum selling album if they did that.
Joe C
Joe C
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:48 pm

You should give their newest album " A Different Kind of Truth" a listen. Definitely one of the best albums of the 2010s for me.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:15 pm

They brought DLR back for the money. Hager would of had them still writing good stuff. I like DLR, but at this point his voice is gone and as a front man he comes across as a creepy old man. Watching EVH smile on stage makes me believe he thinks the same.

Back to top Go down

Post by Throne of thorns Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:33 am

MikeInFla wrote:http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-10-13/stryper-s-sweet-wants-van-halen-studio-role

Stryper frontman Michael Sweet says he’d love to hit the studio with Van Halen to help them emulate past successes.
Sweet feels 2012’s A Different Kind Of Truth – their first with David Lee Roth on vocals since 1984 – was a let down. He thinks they have it in them to produce material of a similar quality to their first two albums – and he wants to be the one to help.
Sweet tells The Metal Voice: “I’m a huge Van Halen fan – about as big as they come. You know when you feel a band is just going through the motions and just not giving it their best? That’s what I felt with that album.
“It got some really good reviews and I’m sitting reading them thinking, ‘I’m hearing something completely different.’ I just didn’t get it.” 
He continues: “I’d love to get a hold of those guys and take them in the studio and take them back to the old school days and help them make an album that’s comparable with Van Halen I and Van Halen II. They’d probably have a platinum-selling album if they did that.”

Sounds like a good idea to me! Although I enjoyed "A Different Kind Of Truth" I'm all for one more studio album.
I really kind of doubt it in this day and age. ....but you never know unless you try.
Throne of thorns
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by bjorn agin Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:17 am

Wouldn't it also be worthwhile to bring back Michael Anthony on bass?
bjorn agin
bjorn agin
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:58 pm

A Different Kind of Truth is as close to the glory days of VH as they probably gonna get. ADKOT is not really a bad album in comparison though. Those first 6 albums are classics that will never be repeated. That's how classic rock works.

I think Michael is a bit misguided here. All Michael is gonna do is what he is doing with Stryper. Go to a reliable formula that worked in the past. And the band should know themselves what their own formula and classic sound is. Like I said, I think their last album did a good job of capturing that.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:04 pm

Headshrinker wrote: Watching EVH smile on stage makes me believe he thinks the same.

Oh.....I believe Eddie thinks Dave is in la la land. I know when hes sitting through a interview with Dave hes the look on his face is thinking of some choice curse words about Dave.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:51 am

If you get a chance watch their appearance on Ellen.

http://ellentube.com/videos/0-m3xqxait/

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:45 am

Joe C wrote:If Eddie wants to take Van Halen in the studio and take them back to the old school days and help them make an album that’s comparable with Van Halen I and Van Halen II, he should bring in their first record producer Ted Templeman. One of the greatest record producers in the business. They’d probably have a multi-platinum selling album if they did that.

I don't really think that Van Halen or Stryper for that matter are going to be getting multi platinum records anymore.  Between illegal downloads and streaming, most folks stopped buying music.  Because they are young and sex symbols either, no label is going to market them like they did back in the day.  Many of the fans from way back when are gone on to other things.  Except for the nostalgia factor, most of these classic rock bands' heyday is done.  Without people wanting to hear the old songs, most people in attendance of their shows aren't coming.  It is the memory of the good ol' days if you will that keeps some fans coming back for more.  Fortunately for us, we have not moved on to new things and some of these bands come back and make credible albums that will sadly get overlooked by the bulk of music fans.  Ask Stryper, AC/DC, KISS, Journey, and a host of others if their more recent albums have sold anywhere near like their albums from way back when and they will tell you that they haven't.  The day of the 80's rock gods is over.  We will take whatever new music we can get from them, but we have to know that they are not making a comeback to their glory days.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnycanuck Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:04 pm

ADKOT has the old vibe to it because many of the songs were written back in the late 70's and never made it on to any albums back then.
johnnycanuck
johnnycanuck
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:08 pm

Headshrinker wrote:If you get a chance watch their appearance on Ellen.

http://ellentube.com/videos/0-m3xqxait/

Dude, thanks for posting that! I was surprised to see and hear the band perform in such fine shape!!! They sound great!!! I could see them make another HUGE comeback album! Some bands have done this. U2 for example. Even though many folks download, U2 was able to sell large quantities of their recent albums again.

This makes me wanna pick up the new Van Halen album.

Back to top Go down

Post by pathogenics_cloned_twin83 Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:49 pm

Headshrinker wrote:I like DLR, but at this point his voice is gone and as a front man he comes across as a creepy old man. 

My thoughts exactly!
pathogenics_cloned_twin83
pathogenics_cloned_twin83
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

https://www.facebook.com/#!/derrick.williams.5667

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:09 pm

I call these veteran bands or bands that have been around for 15 or 20+ years legacy bands. These are your U2, AC/DC, Aerosmith, KISS, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Journey, Foreigner, Iron Maiden, WASP, Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth type of bands. In Christian rock, hard rock and metal you have Petra, Stryper, Deliverance, Guardian, etc. With all of these bands if the Christian bands were to tour and or release an album with the proper promotion then they will draw a club sized crowd to an medium sized venue. If the Christian bands were to release an album, they have a loyal world wide fan base that will buy the physical album or the digital whole album or certain songs whether it is 10,000 or 50,00 or 100,000 or more, depending on the band.

The secular bands will have more sales and draw a larger crowd. Depending on who you are as a band, the days of platinum albums are gone. Gold albums may be a reality. However, gold opr platinum albums are physical units and downloads may not always be counted. A band may sell 40,000 physical albums but sell 500,000 downloads of actual songs.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:38 am

WildWorld wrote:
You should give their newest album " A Different Kind of Truth" a listen. Definitely one of the best albums of the 2010s for me.
Maybe next time I am on Itunes will check the samples out but I think the last album that had any interest for me was Balance  which I think was in the 90s and even that was pushing it.  for me they lost relevancy over 20 years ago too much drama, too much saturation and too much negative press. To me alot of their songs sound the same. Kinda like Courtney Love who likes to use this one riff on multiple songs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next