The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NIT PICKING ARTISTS

+11
Hardcore Christian
Machine Fish
Temple of Blood
Blake
Candlemass
eatbugs
Friday13th
Grindboy
Follower of Jesus
d@v!d
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

NIT PICKING ARTISTS - Page 2 Empty Re: NIT PICKING ARTISTS

Post by sentient 6 Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:16 pm

NoOneIsHere wrote:Just off the top of my head, Dale Thompson, Michael Sweet and Ted Kirkpatrick have been criticized here for what they say,  how they act, what they believe, what they name their project, etc etc

So, if a person is perceived to be throwing a fan base under the bus, or is unbalanced in the theological views they expouse in their songs....thats not open for critique or discusion ?

....these people have a public forum, and are in the mix in the exchange of ideas.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:05 am

I totally agree that if someone just doesn't like a band or a style they should just ignore it.  Example: It's your right to not like metalcore, death metal, etc. but there's no need to go on a thread and complain about it.

So we're only allowed to say something if we follow the status quo?  That's called "conversation".  We all are looking for new tunes and I try to check out most everything that people post in here.  Why should I not get to have a voice if I dislike something?  If I go for ice cream and all they have is rocky road and I loathed it, wouldn't I have to right to tell them why I dislike it and then leave?  Of course, I would. 

Our society has become so dang over sensitive that if we disagree with anyone that we are judging.  Whatever happened to being able to handle criticism and just shrug it off?  We've become wussified to the point that we can't handle a difference of opinion.  But, that's what happens when you baby everyone with a trophy:  they cannot handle someone else's opinion.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:19 am

It's not conversation when someone just goes into a thread about a band and posts a comment like "I don't like them"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:48 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
NoOneIsHere wrote:Temple of Blood,

Artists have gotten criticized here for a lot more than just vocals or production ....

Just off the top of my head, Dale Thompson, Michael Sweet and Ted Kirkpatrick have been criticized here for what they say,  how they act, what they believe, what they name their project, etc etc

haha, right.

But never for lousy solos, off-time rhythms, boring riffs, generic drum fills, and so many other things that go into making music.

I have seen people discuss the good and bad points of those artists' music..which I think is fine. That's what fans do. I just think getting worked up about what they say or what they believe is going overboard.

Also, especially at CMR, there are some people here who have an agenda against certain artists and they take every chance they get to take a swipe at them.

Last edited by NoOneIsHere on Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:06 am

sentient 6 wrote:
NoOneIsHere wrote:Just off the top of my head, Dale Thompson, Michael Sweet and Ted Kirkpatrick have been criticized here for what they say,  how they act, what they believe, what they name their project, etc etc

So, if a person is perceived to be throwing a fan base under the bus, or is unbalanced in the theological views they expouse in their songs....thats not open for critique or discusion ?

....these people have a public forum, and are in the mix in the exchange of ideas.

S6,

"person is perceived to be throwing a fan base under the bus" They are just bands, if you like the record, buy it. If you like the band, support them. If you stop liking the band, that's fine..don't buy their stuff.  Anyone who ever feels "thrown under the bus" by an artist has obviously put that artist up onto a pedestal. No matter what a band does, my life is the same. If I no longer agree with what a band believes or if I no longer like their music, I simply stop supporting them. 

"unbalanced in the theological views they expouse"   again, it's just music....they aren't where I get my spiritual advice from or look to for Biblical inspiration. I disagree with a lot of the views of Christians out there, artists or not, so I prefer to go to the Word directly. A lot of the same people who go on and on about how an artist expresses his faith or what he believes also listen to secular music that consistently expresses views contrary to the Gospel, but somehow that isn't an issue to them? 

Bottom line, yes, people are obviously free to discuss whatever they want, just that sometimes it gets ridiculous seeing what people complain about.
True, the personal lives of the artists are in the public spectrum, but it doesn't mean people need to be a*holes about it or be disrespectful to the artists.

Discussing the quality of the music is what we are here for, so both positive and negative feedback is expected when it comes to that. But there are people who have agendas against certain artists that constantly get into threads about that artist simply to make negative comments. That gets old.

I see that sometimes it is very unbalanced and petty, and personally I don't see why ANY popular artist would want to come in here and subject themselves to some of the attitudes here.

Back to top Go down

Post by HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:33 am

NoOneIsHere wrote:
sentient 6 wrote:

S6,

"person is perceived to be throwing a fan base under the bus" They are just bands, if you like the record, buy it. If you like the band, support them. If you stop liking the band, that's fine..don't buy their stuff.  Anyone who ever feels "thrown under the bus" by an artist has obviously put that artist up onto a pedestal. No matter what a band does, my life is the same. If I no longer agree with what a band believes or if I no longer like their music, I simply stop supporting them. 

"unbalanced in the theological views they expouse"   again, it's just music....they aren't where I get my spiritual advice from or look to for Biblical inspiration. I disagree with a lot of the views of Christians out there, artists or not, so I prefer to go to the Word directly. A lot of the same people who go on and on about how an artist expresses his faith or what he believes also listen to secular music that consistently expresses views contrary to the Gospel, but somehow that isn't an issue to them? 

Bottom line, yes, people are obviously free to discuss whatever they want, just that sometimes it gets ridiculous seeing what people complain about.
True, the personal lives of the artists are in the public spectrum, but it doesn't mean people need to be a*holes about it or be disrespectful to the artists.

Discussing the quality of the music is what we are here for, so both positive and negative feedback is expected when it comes to that. But there are people who have agendas against certain artists that constantly get into threads about that artist simply to make negative comments. That gets old.

I see that sometimes it is very unbalanced and petty, and personally I don't see why ANY popular artist would want to come in here and subject themselves to some of the attitudes here.

Thumbs up
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:46 am

alldatndensum wrote:
I totally agree that if someone just doesn't like a band or a style they should just ignore it.  Example: It's your right to not like metalcore, death metal, etc. but there's no need to go on a thread and complain about it.

So we're only allowed to say something if we follow the status quo?  That's called "conversation".  We all are looking for new tunes and I try to check out most everything that people post in here.  Why should I not get to have a voice if I dislike something?  If I go for ice cream and all they have is rocky road and I loathed it, wouldn't I have to right to tell them why I dislike it and then leave?  Of course, I would. 

Our society has become so dang over sensitive that if we disagree with anyone that we are judging.  Whatever happened to being able to handle criticism and just shrug it off?  We've become wussified to the point that we can't handle a difference of opinion.  But, that's what happens when you baby everyone with a trophy:  they cannot handle someone else's opinion.

Have you ever thought that some people take critisism personally?  It's not just that, it's the malicious hatred and lies that are aimed towards musicians on a personal level.  It makes uncomfortable reading when I see posts of this nature.  S.O.S.
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:39 pm

alldatndensum wrote:

I think you misunderstood me.  I agree with everything you said, but that's not what I meant.  I'm talking about the threads where we're talking about a metalcore band and someone comes in with "I don't like metalcore."  As NoOneIsHere pointed out, that's not constructive conversation.  Using the ice cream analogy, if you never tried rocky road then did and hated it, you should be able to say so.  But if you know you don't like rocky road and there's a conversation about a particular brand of rocky road that some of us like, a comment about "I don't like rocky road" is not productive.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:41 pm

I hate rocky road! NIT PICKING ARTISTS - Page 2 Bleh
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:02 pm

lol!

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:08 pm

Let Weird Al tell you what he thinks about Rocky Road, while nitpicking on Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:30 pm

Personally, i judge artists on a song-by-song basis. Very few times do i like every song on a given album, but the songs i do like make it worth it. Considering we live in the world of the MP3 player, judging a band on the basis of an album that has 5 songs you like and 5 songs you dont like is kind of redundant nowadays.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 01, 2015 3:10 am

I dont judge a band on anything other than do they suck or do they not suck...lyrics mean nothing to me and I listen to everything!!

Back to top Go down

Post by HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD Fri May 01, 2015 11:28 am

savage amusement wrote:I dont judge a band on anything other than do they suck or do they not suck...lyrics mean nothing to me and I listen to everything!!

This may be true that "lyrics don't mean anything to you" but what about those words that are engraved in your brain? How can you not sing along to those lyrics and treat them just as words?  Music DOES affect you emotionally and will do spiritually. The best adverts on TV have catchy songs and tunes that are very hard to get out of your head!!!  I believe that when it comes to entertainment in whatever form, you should only fill your mind with what matches your lifestyle.  Mixing your lifestyle with entertainment enriched with sex, drugs, drink, satan, negativity, atheism etc etc WILL damage you and you won't be living life abundantly.
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 01, 2015 11:35 am

This may be true that "lyrics don't mean anything to you" but what about those words that are engraved in your brain? How can you not sing along to those lyrics and treat them just as words?  Music DOES affect you emotionally and will do spiritually. The best adverts on TV have catchy songs and tunes that are very hard to get out of your head!!!  I believe that when it comes to entertainment in whatever form, you should only fill your mind with what matches your lifestyle.  Mixing your lifestyle with entertainment enriched with sex, drugs, drink, satan, negativity, atheism etc etc WILL damage you and you won't be living life abundantly.
Thats your opinion and I respect that however I dont believe  like you....I would think my avatar would have told you that..and I do listen to what matches my lifestyle and beliefs and I live very abundantly... I have spent years on this board before I left for awhile and most old timers know what i believe...

Back to top Go down

Post by HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD Fri May 01, 2015 12:04 pm

savage amusement wrote:
Thats your opinion and I respect that however I dont believe  like you....I would think my avatar would have told you that..and I do listen to what matches my lifestyle and beliefs and I live very abundantly... I have spent years on this board before I left for awhile and most old timers know what i believe...

I don't judge you, even with your avatar!!  Welcome back Savage and am glad you live life abundantly. Razz
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2