The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IS CHRISTIAN METAL DEAD

+27
strangerhoncho
Throne of thorns
zelote
cailen
MadKraken
timekeeper
Candlemass
oldschooldoom
Highway Star
sentient 6
Kerrick
eatbugs
Gandalf the White
alldatndensum
d@v!d
Musician_DM
Friday13th
MegaNorm64
metaldude
bjorn agin
deathisgain
Hardcore Christian
Staybrite
MikeInFla
My Awesome Timothy
Soldier777
Follower of Jesus
31 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

IS CHRISTIAN METAL DEAD - Page 2 Empty Re: IS CHRISTIAN METAL DEAD

Post by alldatndensum Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:11 am

The first two projects put out by Chaotic Resemblence did have a thinness to their overall sound.  Their full length album that they released this year does not have that thinness.  The problem is in the songwriting area.  They just haven't mastered the power of the big hook.  You've got to have a hook with this type of metal for people to love it.  The hook turns a cool song into a metal anthem.

I will have to check out End Of September.  Sounds a lot like The Letter Black and Eowyn.

As for the state of Christian metal, it isn't dead.  It isn't as popular as it once was.  Many of us are expanding their listening styles.  I am getting into blues more lately than metal and am planning a blues rock album in the future myself.

I think that many people are shifting away from the whole "Christian metal" thing, though.  Many bands are just wanting to make music that isn't offensive to God and can be performed in any kind of venue.  I could see the day that even indie labels won't carry Christian metal and we will be totally underground like we were in its early days.  As sales slump overall, it shows that the demand isn't there as much.  For me, I am getting to the place that I would rather buy 4 or 5 memorable albums a year than dozens that won't get played much.  Perhaps many of us have that same thought as well.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf the White Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:35 am

Good thoughts everyone. I think the other thing is that music evolves. I remember a time you could hardly throw a rock without hitting a Christian punk band with it and now, there are far far fewer bands playing punk. Same thing with other styles, and not just  Christian music. Look at jazz. From the late '40's to the late '70's, jazz had thousands of artists and truckloads of releases - many of them groundbreaking in some way. I don't think I could even name 25 artists playing jazz today.
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:33 am

alldatndensum wrote:The first two projects put out by Chaotic Resemblence did have a thinness to their overall sound.  Their full length album that they released this year does not have that thinness.  The problem is in the songwriting area.  They just haven't mastered the power of the big hook.  You've got to have a hook with this type of metal for people to love it.  The hook turns a cool song into a metal anthem.

I will have to check out End Of September.  Sounds a lot like The Letter Black and Eowyn.

As for the state of Christian metal, it isn't dead.  It isn't as popular as it once was.  Many of us are expanding their listening styles.  I am getting into blues more lately than metal and am planning a blues rock album in the future myself.

I think that many people are shifting away from the whole "Christian metal" thing, though.  Many bands are just wanting to make music that isn't offensive to God and can be performed in any kind of venue.  I could see the day that even indie labels won't carry Christian metal and we will be totally underground like we were in its early days.  As sales slump overall, it shows that the demand isn't there as much.  For me, I am getting to the place that I would rather buy 4 or 5 memorable albums a year than dozens that won't get played much.  Perhaps many of us have that same thought as well.
Well said.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:00 pm

Gandalf the White wrote:Good thoughts everyone. I think the other thing is that music evolves. I remember a time you could hardly throw a rock without hitting a Christian punk band with it and now, there are far far fewer bands playing punk. Same thing with other styles, and not just  Christian music. Look at jazz. From the late '40's to the late '70's, jazz had thousands of artists and truckloads of releases - many of them groundbreaking in some way. I don't think I could even name 25 artists playing jazz today.
Jazz is not dead! You're just a hater...

Yeah, you're right.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf the White Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:11 pm

d@v!d wrote:
Gandalf the White wrote:Good thoughts everyone. I think the other thing is that music evolves. I remember a time you could hardly throw a rock without hitting a Christian punk band with it and now, there are far far fewer bands playing punk. Same thing with other styles, and not just  Christian music. Look at jazz. From the late '40's to the late '70's, jazz had thousands of artists and truckloads of releases - many of them groundbreaking in some way. I don't think I could even name 25 artists playing jazz today.
Jazz is not dead! You're just a hater...

Yeah, you're right.

Lol... I don't think it's dead but I also don't think there's been anything really creative in jazz since Miles' late 70's albums, John McLaughlin and Mahavishnu and that time period. Most modern jazz reuses old phrases and songs and doesn't push boundaries anymore.
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the White
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:34 pm

^Gonna have to agree with Gandalf at least for straight-up jazz, though I think there are a few interesting fusions that have come out since then (notably with metal like Cynic and Atheist). My friends like the new jazz fusion band Snarky Puppy, but I don't see them doing anything that wasn't already done in the '70s.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:28 pm

A jazz discussion on a metal website?  No  Maybe Christian metal is dead.  I'm going to go cry now.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by bjorn agin Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:18 pm

eatbugs wrote:A jazz discussion on a metal website?  No  Maybe Christian metal is dead.  I'm going to go cry now.

No kidding. Thumbs up  A representative of the Metal Union will be along shortly to check the metal cards of a few people here. Very Happy

i don't like Jazz. When I hear the words "smooth jazz" a little vomit comes up in the back of my mouth.
bjorn agin
bjorn agin
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:26 pm

Friday13th wrote:^Gonna have to agree with Gandalf at least for straight-up jazz, though I think there are a few interesting fusions that have come out since then (notably with metal like Cynic and Atheist). My friends like the new jazz fusion band Snarky Puppy, but I don't see them doing anything that wasn't already done in the '70s.

Cynic and Atheist are good bands.  That being said, I never listen to Cynic anymore.  Would any y'all be interested in buying their albums?

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:25 pm

...if there are any christian bands with a sound similar to these secular bands...please share.

sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:46 pm

There is a TON of core type bands within the genre of christian metal. There is even a good amount thrash bands as well. But what seems to be lacking is good classic sounding metal. I'm sure there are probably some laying around out there in the underground world, but they usually turn out to be mediocre at best. And it usually means mediocre song writing or songs. Or, they have a very crappy production quality. I know that most of the labels with any type of recording budget are still favoring core type bands, or modern hard rock. And I guess thats still what is selling ? Does anyone see this shifting at all ?
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by MegaNorm64 Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:25 am

sentient 6 wrote:There is a TON of core type bands within the genre of christian metal. There is even a good amount thrash bands as well. But what seems to be lacking is good classic sounding metal. I'm sure there are probably some laying around out there in the underground world, but they usually turn out to be mediocre at best. And it usually means mediocre song writing or songs. Or, they have a very crappy production quality. I know that most of the labels with any type of recording budget are still favoring core type bands, or modern hard rock. And I guess thats still what is selling ? Does anyone see this shifting at all ?
I don't see it shifting at all. The Christian bands as of late want to appeal to the younger crowd and that crowd are not into what most of us with a taste for the older generation of metal are into. I personally can't stand most new bands because they don't sound like an all age band like Bloodgood, Stryper, Theocracy, etc. do. They sound like they were made to deal with teenage drama and relationships. Stuff that I have been over for the last 8 years and I'm sure stuff some of you have been over for the last 20+ years (old farts lol! ).
MegaNorm64
MegaNorm64
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:37 am

eatbugs wrote:A jazz discussion on a metal website?  No  Maybe Christian metal is dead.  I'm going to go cry now.
Nah, dudes! You guys gotta check out Mahavishnu Orchestra. It's closer to metal than you think  Cool Guitar guy Metal 3

Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:38 am

20 years from now there will be a thread on "Is Christian Metalcore Dead?" and the future 30-somethings will have this same discussion (hopefully without the jazz tangent).

As I look over what I've purchased that has come out in 2014, the vast majority is metalcore, death/unblack, or bands that made their name during the late 80's and early 90's.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Highway Star Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:04 pm

Not sure if Christian Metal is dead, but I know that Christian Rock is knocking on deaths door. We need more bands playing straight ahead blues based rock like Mainline Riders, X-Sinner, and Thieves and Liars...
Highway Star
Highway Star
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:09 pm

Thieves and Liars are awesome, but their first and best album was a lot more than just blues rock. Too bad the band disappeared Sad
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:23 pm

I just stumbled upon this thread.
I've got to wonder if it was inspired by Gene Simmons scratch
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:50 am

Highway Star wrote:Not sure if Christian Metal is dead, but I know that Christian Rock is knocking on deaths door. We need more bands playing straight ahead blues based rock like Mainline Riders, X-Sinner, and Thieves and Liars...

Check out my project Mission Of One at:  www.facebook.com/missionofone

If you enjoy the sound samples, hit me up and I will send you a free download card.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:27 am

No.
Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by timekeeper Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:10 am

Candlemass wrote:No.

Candlemass beat me to it.
timekeeper
timekeeper
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by MadKraken Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:38 pm

Christian metal or Christian power/thrash metal? I think a lot users here associate the general word "metal" primarily with the heavy metal of old, and since those genres are dying in general, there will of course be less Christian metal bands in that style. But as many others have already pointed out, today's generation of heavy music listeners are heavily focused on the 'core sound, and the amount of Christian bands in that genre are astounding. As for death and black metal, which is more my arena, I'd say they are continuing at a pretty steady pace, especially in countries outside the US.
MadKraken
MadKraken
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by cailen Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:14 pm

If I talk about METAL
I think of traditional Metal.

METAL is not dead here in Germany / Europe thousands of people join festivals like Wacken or big arenas where the old school Bands like Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth still have big and great shows in front of thousands of people. Metal is alive and well here.

Christian Metal is alive and well also if you think of Saint, Sacred Warrior, Bloodgood, Rob Rock or Stryper.
I have seen Stryper here in Germany at the bang your head festival and they rocked as 25 years ago. Great show!!!

But my heroes are also and most the thrash bands Deliverance, Vengeance Rising, Betrayal, Believer, Tourniquet, The Crucified and Mortification. None of these bands has reached/gained the level of the glorious days of old.

I would say Christian Thrash is nearly dead.
Hopefully Temple of Blood will keep it alive.
cailen
cailen
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Temple of Blood likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:19 pm

MadKraken wrote:Christian metal or Christian power/thrash metal? I think a lot users here associate the general word "metal" primarily with the heavy metal of old, and since those genres are dying in general, there will of course be less Christian metal bands in that style. But as many others have already pointed out, today's generation of heavy music listeners are heavily focused on the 'core sound, and the amount of Christian bands in that genre are astounding. As for death and black metal, which is more my arena, I'd say they are continuing at a pretty steady pace, especially in countries outside the US.
To expand on this post
genres in todays scene

Core is most of it
Death/Black/Doom has stayed consistent in the "underground"
Thrash/Power has faded out

Glam is making a comeback with old bands like Stryper and Bloodgood coming back
theyre are also tons of newer Glam metal bands helping bring it back including (DARE i SAY IT) Black Veil Brides, Blessed By A Broken Heart, and Steel Panther Razz

(EDIT:Obviously I meant these genres in general not Christian only)
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by zelote Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:21 pm

So there arent many good news bands , but ican mention just a few that maybe you remember 

Main Line Riders - very good band with two diferent but good records 
Crosswire- Just one album ,but i like a lot 
Grave Robber- Awesome band punk and metal in the vein of The Misfits 

Also Desyre maybe but i dont like  this band 

And for Chaotic Resemble i need to hear more of this guys 

Thre are a lot of Core and Ppwer metal nowdays, we need more bands with that classic 80 sound.

zelote
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:12 pm

zelote, check out my "band" Mission Of One.

www.facebook.com/missionofone
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next